Last film seen...

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    True Grit (2010)

Finally had a chance to see this remake of the classic John Wayne western, although I liked it, I wasn't overwhelmed. I will dispense with describing the story as I am sure everyone is familiar with it and just start by saying Hailee Steinfeld is wonderful as Mattie Ross the young girl that hires Cogburn to avenge her father. Her Oscar nomination is well deserved. Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn and Matt Damon as LeBouf are also good. My problem with the film is that at times I had trouble understanding what Jeff Bridges was saying. He plays Cogburn as an old surely gruff, but mean and tough Marshall. His speech mannerisms are also gruff and often times mumbled. Not knowing what he was saying was often a distraction. I also thought the movie, at times, was a little slow, especially the second act. I love westerns and this is a good one, just not as good as I hoped.

Sad about that one - really been looking forward to it. I tend to agree with most of you reviews and have used it as a litmus test as whether to watch or not, especially if it's still on a pay-per-view channel or DVD rental... Probably still give it a go as I've really been waiting for this one ... :#

I guess I enjoyed it more than Barry did, tsa---very similar to the original, scriptwise, IMO, except for some added stuff in Act 2 which I assume came from the novel. I'd recommend giving it a shot. Bridges does his own take on the role---he was smart enough not to try to channel the Duke. I'll be interested in your opinion ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    Bronson

Stylised account of Charles Bronson, not the craggy Death Wish star but a notorious British prisoner who renamed himself and has been inside for some 30 years for armed robbery. Tom Hardy put in a much praised performance, some three years before his role in Inception.

That said, I didn't much care for the film as it has nothing redeeming about the guy. It's just him shouting and going psycho, usually against targets we are meant to feel 'deserve' it, so that's okay. A nonce in a mental home where he is put, or a prissy prison governor, or the prison's camply flamboyant art teacher. There a type of Brit who will chuckle indulgently when a thug acts in a staccato, shocking way onscreen, like it's a big joke, to be approved of.

Macbeth

Roman Polanski's version, very good too. Only problem is, and it's a central one, the lead isn't very charismatic. I have never seen a situation where Macbeth credibly takes the word of some crones and immediately sets about his murderous course of action, you have to see that there's something about him that would do that anyway, he just needs prompting. Francesca Annis is Lady Macbeth, again nothing obviously evil about her. But that atmosphere is very good and it's bloodily shot. It's disconcerting that Martin Shaw turns up as Banquo, mainly because the actor who plays Macbeth looks like Lewis Collins, his buddy in 70s cop show The Professionals. There is a version with Sean Connery recently uncovered, you an access it on youtube last time I looked. Sean actually looked pretty credible in the lead role.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    True Grit

Yep, it's been reviewed by many on here - and although Westerns are not my first (or second, or third for that matter.... :)) ) genre to see, I went with my BF as it had some great reviews, no more so than the BBC's 'Film 2011 show.'

Having never seen the original, or even known the story involved, it was a a great way to spend 110 mins - yes it was slow in places, but I think that was fitting for those moments. I wouldn't have said this was a typical 'Cohen brother's' movie either, as the humour is subtle - but great when let loose - the dentist in the bear suit for one.

However, it was a shame the score wasn't a bit more pronounced..... it was almost non descript, and I think some of the scenes (especially the long sweeping panoramic views) could have been backed up with a bit more music.....

However a good solid film. And both me and the BF agreed that Hailee gave a superb performance (it will be interesting to see what she does next) and Jeff Bridges just gets better and better with age.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    My Chauffeur

An 80s sex comedy which at heart is a romantic comedy. Perky, bubbly and exhilarating Deborah Foreman (Valley Girl) is a new wave dish washer named Casey Meadows who receives an invitation to work at a fancy upper crust limousine service. Her invigorating presence is initially rejected by the club mentality of the older drivers and her manager, (the ultra cool Howard Hessman from WKRP fame) dishes her out the worst routes in a hope of breaking her trial period.

Casey, however, proves to be quite resourceful. From getting an orgy going punk rocker to his gig punctually or handling her bosses divorced son as he drunkenly frolics through the park naked. Her game simply cannot be dismissed. A healthy dose of experience and feministic openness proves too much for the cranky old guys to resist.

Sam (Flash Gordon) Jones is the scrooge like son of the boss named Battle. The scene after his girlfriend dumps him, (rev starting drunken shenanigans) he dashes in full monty shocking little old ladies at park benches. It's comedy gold.

Casey and Battle eventually get stranded somewhere in the boonies and end up falling in love, but a family secret might put a hinder to their emotions.

Penn and Teller are also here as a pimp and a wealthy arab who pick up three party girls.

A cute and frothy movie that's comforting and light but also has T&A. I give it ten of Casey's fingerless Madonna-esque gloves up. Way up.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    My Chauffeur

An 80s sex comedy which at heart is a romantic comedy. Perky, bubbly and exhilarating Deborah Foreman (Valley Girl) is a new wave dish washer named Casey Meadows who receives an invitation to work at a fancy upper crust limousine service.

I always liked Deborah Foreman :x, Valley Girl being her best film, I did see My Chauffeur many years ago and I recall enjoying it. April Fool's day is another good film of hers.
    My Tutor

Continuing the 80s sex comedies beginning with the word 'my', Matt Lattanzi, (Olivia Newton John's ex husband and dancer) plays Bobby, a handsome, muscular, rich alpha male who can't get laid. :o So in between the major plot line (coming right up) he and his two nerdy friends attempt many off the wall Porkys style attempts at achieving sex.

But it seems in order for Bobby to make it to Yale, he has to pass French first. Enter Terry Green, a 29 year old French Tutor played by gorgeous Caren Kaye.

I think we all know where this is heading but Bobby does score in the actual French test too. Jesting aside, the final act does enter romance mood, even though the majority of the film is pretty exploitative.

A pre-George McFly Crispin Glover plays one of Bobby's buddies and is his usual weird and kooky self. Ex Russ Meyer actress and model Kitten Natividad also appears as a woman of easy virtue. Bobby drunkenly passes out on her bosom. Ay yi yi.
    Alex wrote:
    My Chauffeur

An 80s sex comedy which at heart is a romantic comedy. Perky, bubbly and exhilarating Deborah Foreman (Valley Girl) is a new wave dish washer named Casey Meadows who receives an invitation to work at a fancy upper crust limousine service.

I always liked Deborah Foreman :x, Valley Girl being her best film, I did see My Chauffeur many years ago and I recall enjoying it. April Fool's day is another good film of hers.
    Thanks Barry. Valley Girl's my next one, I'll have to check out April Fool's Day.

She really was nectar for the soul!
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Did a True Grit double feature with a mate yesterday. It was great fun..watched the 1969 version on DVD in the afternoon and then went to see the Coen's take in the evening. I don't have time to write a proper review of them now, but I will say that I would rate the new film the better of the two, though both are very strong films.
    Battle: Los Angeles

Aaron Eckhart stars as Staff Sergeant Nantz, a battle hardened Marine who has recently turned in his discharge papers. His Marine unit is activated for rescue operations when it appears meteors are going to land near Los Angeles. The meteors turn out to be alien crafts and the rescue mission turns into a battle to save earth.

This is an action film, it doesn't try to be anything else, which why I liked it. The movie opens with some brief background stories on the different Marines in the unit and then it is right to the action. The combat scenes are well done, normally I don't care for the hand held camera and all its shakiness, but in this film I didn't mind as I thought it was used appropriately. As the Marines go down a hallway to clear a house of aliens, the camera is right behind them as they check right and check left, giving you a real feel for what the Marines are seeing.

This movie was poorly reviewed by the professional critics who thought the movie had some clichés and some predictable scenes, all of which is true. However. the excellent action scenes and the fact that it is a simple story which has you caring about Eckhart and his unit overcomes the films shortcomings.

If you like action, I recommend Battle: Los Angeles.
    McClintock

John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara :x star in this fast paced comedy set in the Old West. John Wayne is McClintock the biggest cattle baron and land owner in Texas, Maureen O'Hara is his estranged wife. O'Hara left Texas to go east and become more refined. She has returned to take their daughter (Stefanie Powers) back to the east coast with her. The majority of the film is Wayne and O'Hara verbally sparring with assistance from an excellent supporting cast, including Patrick Wayne (John Wayne's real son), Chill Wills as Drago, Wayne's friend and assistant, Yvonne De Carlo, Jerry Van Dyke and Strother Martin also lend comedic support.

This movie was released in 1963 and is completely politically incorrect, you have women being spanked, drunk Indians, a silly Chinese cook and drunkenness, for which I say hallelujah. A film that cares more about humor than being socially acceptable is OK by me.

O'Hara and Wayne starred in five movies together and their chemistry in undeniable, arguing and fighting you still see the love they have for each other. The final scene in McClintock with Wayne chasing O'Hara around town during the 4th of July celebration is a classic and is a great example of why they are so good together. Both angry they battle it out from end of town to the other in style and with plenty of laughs.

I watched McClintock with my soon to be 16 year old son, who along with me laughed at loud during the movie. Made me happy to know that the humor in the film is timeless. Highly recommend McClintock.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I finally saw the movie version of The A-Team. Not the worst film I've ever seen, but possibly one of the dumbest. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Got to watch SAW 7 (3D), what a disappointment. I'm a big fan of the series, But this is a really weak ending. I hope they don't make another if they can't keep the standard up.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • DangerMouseDangerMouse Benfleet, EssexPosts: 235MI6 Agent
    Just seen the film "Back To School" starring Rodney Dangerfield. I can see why it's a cult classic, it was really good with quite a lot of funny one liners. Shame not a lot of people in England are aware of him.
    The Fantasitc Mr Fox

Rented this, as I had read the origional story to my 6 year old..... not sure who this movie is for...certainly not 6 year olds....the language was very convultuted.... and well the jokes were way too old - but I can't believe they filmed this for adults either.... stays near enough the book - although they had to stretch it out to last the running time of 87 minutes.
    The effects were interesting..... and George Clooney was a great choice. But not a movie I want to own, and that is always a good test of whether it's a good movie :))
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    edited April 2011
    Watched Unstoppable last night. Denzil Washington gives his wise old sage routine with very white teeth, partnered to young rookie Chris Pine who's all upset because wife has left him. Think old cop/young cop, but with train drivers. Runaway train towing toxic chemicals runs amok in Pensylvania - I've been through there and I don't think a toxic train wreck would exactly ruin the place... ;) Pretty rubbish dialogue/characters/acting/direction/script etc. Guess what? Train actually is stoppable and well, stops. Wife watches Pine coupling train to another engine on tv news and falls in love all over again. Arghhh!!!... 1/10.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    edited April 2011
    Source Code

Very fine sci-fi thriller from Duncan Jones, who as you may know, did Moon and is the son of 60s singer Peter Jones, who sung with the Moody Blues but hasn't done much of late. :)

Anyway, the premise of this is more along the lines of Inception, in terms of mind games rather than space heroics. An Afghan soldier finds he's being transferred into the mind of someone on a train that earlier that day was subject to a massive terrorist bomb. His assignment, he finds, is to find out who planted the bomb and where to forestall future attacks. But he can only do that in eight minute intervals before the bomb goes off, so it's a bit Groundhog Day.

A lot comes down to the cast ie Jake Gywallahall (sp?), Michelle Monaghan (sp), a newcomer of Moneypenny bent and Bond's very own Jeffery Wright who seems to have aged and put on weight, he won't be with Bond in the field next time if this is anything to go by.

Some snags for instance
    what are the chances the bomber will be of Middle Eastern appearance, or will he be the smug plump faced American who does it, as with Twelve Monkeys. Also, one actual suspect looks like the character Jake has been transported into, which is confusing. I thought it might turn out that Jake's passenger is the bomber.

I suppose it's as well they had Michelle Mogadon as the not great looking woman passenger; otherwise our soldier would spend the eight minutes each time banging her in the train restroom rather than investigating said terrorist attack. "Hey dude, I mean they die anyway!" That said, I didn't pick up on the fact they weren't dating during the incident.

The ending is a choker, but then there's another ending tagged on which I didn't care for so much.

Anyway, highly recommended, the music is very Jerry Goldsmith in Total Recall, it has that urgent vibe, Chris Bacon his name is I think. He might be an alternative to Arnold, though I'm not totally sold on it.

Visually the film seems to be shot through with wonderful sky blue hi-definition, it's a very vivid film indeed and very gripping.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,580Chief of Staff
    Source Code

Very fine sci-fi thriller from Duncan Jones, who as you may know, did Moon and is the son of 60s singer Peter Jones, who sung with the Moody Blues but hasn't done much of late. :)

Really ? That may come as a shock to his real father - David Jones aka David Bowie....granted, he hasn't done much of late either :))

Glad you enjoyed the film though....I have seen Moon and really enjoyed that.
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Source Code

Really ? That may come as a shock to his real father - David Jones aka David Bowie....granted, he hasn't done much of late either :))

Yes, but he doesn't like it it you mention his father's identity, so I thought I'd go with the other one instead. C'mon Sir Miles, keep up.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Black Narcissus.

black-narcissus1.jpg

Great British film from 1947 about nuns in the Himalayas. Extraordinary sets at Pinewood Studios create an expressionistic landscape in which the drama plays out. Fantastic cast and Technicolor cinematography. Directed by the legendary Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger. Check it out..
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,580Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Source Code

Yes, but he doesn't like it it you mention his father's identity, so I thought I'd go with the other one instead. C'mon Sir Miles, keep up.

Ah right, Nap...the old "get it completely wrong then blame everyone else for not getting the gag"... :))

I went to the cinema with my son today to watch THOR....we saw it in 3D...it's not bad at all :)) Certainly worth watching for Natalie Portman alone :x

I've no idea what the comic-book fans will make of this film as I can't say I ever read any Thor as a kid....we both enjoyed the movie though....it's nothing special though, a typical Summer 'blockbuster' movie....good action sequences - but those that struggled with the action in QoS will probably find the action a struggle in the 3D format too...some of the CGI is top-notch, and some is bloody awful !!

It will be interesting to read what the comic fans make of this movie....
    YNWA 97
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    127 Hours. Yep, James Franco in the dude-who-cuts-off-his-arm movie. Really, a well done film that is appropriately claustrophobic and captures what is going on in the mind of a man who is in a situation where he most likely will die. My one gripe is with all the product placements: close-ups of name brands on cameras, clothing, etc.--there's even an opening montage of the fast-food signs our hero passes as he drives out of town. Morgan Spurlock is putting out a documentary on product placements called Pom Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold. Why bother? He could have just shown this one!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Orson Welles' The Stranger (1946)

Watched this in preparation for writing a paper on Welles and film noir. Lesser Welles film, but entertaining. I will watch just about anything with Edward G. Robinson in it. Typical noir style - and the ending is pretty good. The film is in the public domain and can be found on the web, gratis. Worth a look if you're into noir.
    Social Network.

Not sure what all the fuss was about. Interesting to know that the ‘Y’ generation create the biggest grossing 'online' ideas mostly through unrequited love - but I found this movie rather.....what's the word..... pretentious????

I consider myself quite apt with computers, and I can find myself around most phones with no instructions, BUT this movie's script was so fastley paced and full of geek references that it was hard to follow - and that was a shame, as I'm an avid 'Facebooker' (is that even a word. :s ) And it's so sad to see the overall story was how Zucherberg was trying to oust his only real friend and definite co-founder (providing the all important algorithm) that set up the whole Facebook platform.

Rather disappointed.

2 out of 5 stars.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    The King's Speech

absolutely beautiful movie. the cinematography was BRILLIANT and the story was heart warming :x

Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush were amazing as always.
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Ah right, Nap...the old "get it completely wrong then blame everyone else for not getting the gag"... :))

I went to the cinema with my son today to watch THOR....we saw it in 3D...it's not bad at all :)) Certainly worth watching for Natalie Portman alone :x

I've no idea what the comic-book fans will make of this film as I can't say I ever read any Thor as a kid....we both enjoyed the movie though....it's nothing special though, a typical Summer 'blockbuster' movie....good action sequences - but those that struggled with the action in QoS will probably find the action a struggle in the 3D format too...some of the CGI is top-notch, and some is bloody awful !!

It will be interesting to read what the comic fans make of this movie....

Me thinks you've definitely caught up sir m... :D

As to Thor, I loved that comic, and let's face it, Loki would make a great bond villain...all mischievous and scandinavian :s

But I saw a trailer of it at the cinema and tgt one for the DVD shop....

I'm saving my drachma for the Green Hornet ......loved the tv show (bruce lee WAS Kato!) and of course ms Diaz ....still the best derriere on the big screen... :p
    Lexi wrote:
    Social Network.

Not sure what all the fuss was about. Interesting to know that the ‘Y’ generation create the biggest grossing 'online' ideas mostly through unrequited love - but I found this movie rather.....what's the word..... pretentious????

I consider myself quite apt with computers, and I can find myself around most phones with no instructions, BUT this movie's script was so fastley paced and full of geek references that it was hard to follow - and that was a shame, as I'm an avid 'Facebooker' (is that even a word. :s ) And it's so sad to see the overall story was how Zucherberg was trying to oust his only real friend and definite co-founder (providing the all important algorithm) that set up the whole Facebook platform.

Rather disappointed.

2 out of 5 stars.

Spot on Lexi.... In fact I would have given it and extra 1/2 for the comic portrayal of the winklevoss twins (ESP armie hammer ) and of course Justin timber lake playing himself..

But hardly an Oscar nominee....
    Best film I've seen this year was a re-run at the pasadena flea-pit, of Mao's last dancer...

Based upon a true story, if it doesn't get under your skin then the blood ain't warm...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1071812/
    "Fast Five"

The only other Fast and Furious entry I've seen is the very first...the boys and I went to catch this one Monday night---any chance to hang with my boys these days is golden ;) ---and was pleasantly surprised. Whilst quite loud, unbelievable and frequently silly, this was actually a slam-bang piece of action entertainment. Of course nobody in the piece has any business living through anything that happens...but then again I suppose that's part of the charm.

Paul Walker and Vin Diesel are having a blast here, and the ensemble all seem to be having a good time as well. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is added to the mix as a tough-guy Fed sworn to bring them in.

Good fun...3 out of 5 stars. Recommended for fans of the franchise, natch---and fans of "take your brain off and sit it on the shelf for 130 minutes"-type films.
    "Thor"

I'd completely forgotten that Kenneth Branagh directed this one until the end credits rolled. Starring Chris Hemsworth (George Kirk from the most recent Star Trek) in the title role, Sir Anthony Hopkins as Odin, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, the lovely Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, Rene Russo (in barely more than a cameo) as Frigga and the always-watchable Ray (Rome) Stevenson as Volstagg, Thor is a rollicking good time.

This particular Marvel comic was never one I read regularly back in the day, so I came to it with a relatively light set of expectations, and was thus rewarded. The film looks beautiful, though (as previously mentioned) the CGI isn't exactly seamless in some shots (especially long-distance action, such as the heroes riding horseback along the rainbow bridge). Asgard is lovely, and the small southwestern town where the earthbound action unfolds is charmingly spartan by comparison. The action is well done (Vic Armstrong, Bond veteran, was 2nd unit guy) and the 3D in which we saw it was okay---after Avatar, it's hard to be wowed by what looks like a 'retro' 3D instead of something actually being shot that way.

Performances were solid. Hemsworth looks credible with his shirt off and brings an infectious charm to the part. The film strikes a nice balance, like the Iron Mans, between avoiding camp and still not taking itself too seriously, so it looks to fit in perfectly with the vibe they're setting up with the Avengers line-up. The trailer for Captain America ran ahead of the feature, and it looks like they've got a good thing going.

Enthusiastic thumbs up from my boys, Loeff Jr. and Loeff III...

As always, stick around after the end credits ;) 3.5 out of 5 stars; recommended for comic buffs (some of whom will doubtless be offended by the piece in ways I can't envision :p )...
    Catfish

One of the best movies I have seen this year.

If you are to believe the whole genre of the movie, then it's about 2 brothers - 1 is a dance film maker, the other a 'film director' - anyway, Nev, the dance film maker gets a painting in the post.... a still from one of his movies, and it's been painted by an 8 year old called Abby. He then starts up a correspondence with her over Facebook - and it's after several weeks that Nev's brother decides to film a 'documentary' about his relationship with this 'art prodigy' - the result is the movie we are now watching. It soon transpires that Abby has a 19 year old step sister - Meg, and soon Nev and Meg strike up a friendship - which soon turns into more (even though they are 900 miles apart....)

Then a few things start not to tie up..... a song that Meg posts on Facebook (and claims is her own) is discovered as a rip off from someone else.... and the gallery that Abby is supposedly opening with all her art work, is discovered as still on the market.... so when the two brothers travel to Michigan for a dance show... they decide to take a little detour and 'drop in' on Abby and Megan to see what's going on.

It's here that the story takes a very weird turn…and things are most definitely not what they appear.....

This movie is not ground breaking...however the one question is - is this a real documentary.... or completely scripted? You're not quite sure. If it's the former, then there are lots of coincidences that just seem too good to be true, and if it's the latter - well then the acting is something else.

It's a movie you want to talk about once you've seen it..... and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would like to think it was a real documentary.... but the last bit - an explanation of why they movie was called 'catfish' is just too convenient.... and I have a feeling everything is not what it seems.....