Last film seen...

Comments

• always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Watched " The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ", Haven't seen it in Years.
    Still not a great film ( sad it's Connery's last ) but better than I'd remembered.

Yes I saw that aswell there are so many freemasonry symbols in that film its untrue
    we are not that bad honestly :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff
    Watched " The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ", Haven't seen it in Years.
    Still not a great film ( sad it's Connery's last ) but better than I'd remembered.

Yes I saw that aswell there are so many freemasonry symbols in that film its untrue
    we are not that bad honestly :)

Freemasons ? Haven't met one yet I wouldn't be happy to punch.
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    " We're not that bad honestly " That's what I'd expect
    the Illuminati to say. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Saw 'Iron Sky' last night, an outrageously tongue-in-cheek romp about Nazis hiding on the dark side of the moon and waiting to invade the earth again (hmm sounds like one AJB member's plot suggestion for Bond 24 :)) ). Stars Gotz Otto - TND's Mr Stamper. Not quite a classic but quite funny and very enjoyable.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Careful. They're everywhere.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
    DaltonFan1 wrote:
    Careful. They're everywhere.

yes youd be supprised who /where we are :v
    Any way getting side tracked here ,just watching the great Sir Anthony in When eight bells toll
    theres no freemasons in that or is there :v
    :)) Watched it again Myself, I'd better by the DVD of it, It's only a couple of quid on amazon. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • LoGabrielleLoGabrielle IrelandPosts: 111MI6 Agent
    Rush. *cough, cough* twice. One of the best film's I've ever seen. Daniel Brühl is just outstanding as Lauda and the races are class. I would recommend it even if you aren't a F1 fan.
    "You were fantastic! We're free!"
    "Kara, we're inside a Russian airbase in the middle of Afghanistan."
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Soldier
    Futuristic story about super soldiers trained from birth.
    I would best describe this as a mix of First Blood, Blade Runner and The Road Warrior with a great performance from Kurt Russell as a trained killer who discovers human emotions for the first time.
    I strongly recommend it to fans of the aforementioned films.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
    watched the man who would be king last night starring Connery and Caine its about 2 ex soldiers
    who happen to be freemasons (oh dear im off again) :))
    Always Shaken aren't you worried about the dire end you'll come to
    for even talking about the FM, I've see that Dan Browm film ............... :))
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Watched Little Miss Sunshine recently. Lovely film about a young girl in a dysfunctional family who wins a chance to perform in a beauty pageant in California.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449059/?ref_=nv_sr_3
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    With Halloween just a few days ago, I most recently watched the Rocky Horror Picture Show! The definition of a cult film. At first, I despised it. Now, I can't get enough of it!

Tim Curry is outstanding, I might add
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
  • lueth2048lueth2048 Posts: 120MI6 Agent
    At the theater: Skyfall

At home: Moonraker (I just got a hi def TV and have been watching the Bond DVDs).
    Haven't seen it in years but caught " The Untouchables " last night and it's truly a great movie
    Well worth watching if you haven't seen it.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Yes, that how I wish GE had been when it came out. Great style, great music, great dialogue.

Up in the Clouds
    George Clooney in one of his Michael Clayton roles, a decent man doing a distasteful job (hired by firms to do their sackings in a palatable way). Highly watchable and moreish movie, albeit does that James Bond thing where you are meant to think what a great guy he is despite his role in life, and enjoy his mastery in contrast to the pipsqueak green pushy young woman sent in to downsize his role. Of course Clooney's character gets his comeuppance in the end, though this being for the American market, he still gets to go out with a bit of a flourish of generosity.

So not quite Oscar-worthy, but highly watchable and it aims high, so credit for that. You could imagine Tom Cruise in the Clooney role (Clooney even breaks into one of those Cruise trademark runs towards the end), but then it would get too Jerry MacGuire and anyway we've seen Cruise in that role too many times.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Yes, that how I wish GE had been when it came out. Great style, great music, great dialogue.

Up in the Clouds
    George Clooney in one of his Michael Clayton roles, a decent man doing a distasteful job (hired by firms to do their sackings in a palatable way). Highly watchable and moreish movie, albeit does that James Bond thing where you are meant to think what a great guy he is despite his role in life, and enjoy his mastery in contrast to the pipsqueak green pushy young woman sent in to downsize his role. Of course Clooney's character gets his comeuppance in the end, though this being for the American market, he still gets to go out with a bit of a flourish of generosity.

So not quite Oscar-worthy, but highly watchable and it aims high, so credit for that. You could imagine Tom Cruise in the Clooney role (Clooney even breaks into one of those Cruise trademark runs towards the end), but then it would get too Jerry MacGuire and anyway we've seen Cruise in that role too many times.

Great film Nap, but it's called UP IN THE AIR.
    LOL.
    Carry on Henry, this afternoon.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    The Devil's Disciple (1959), based on a play by G. B. Shaw and directed by future Goldfinger director Guy Hamilton. It's set during the American Revolution, with Burt Lancaster as an idealistic minister, Kirk Douglas as a Shavian antisocial cynic, and Larry Olivier as General Burgoyne, who thinks the British are on a fool's errand. A good showcase for Shaw's sense of irony; Hamilton doesn't show what would interest the Bond people until a late scene, where Lancaster almost single-handedly holds off a group of redcoat soldiers while trying to light a cartload of gunpowder. Shades of Fort Knox!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    In the loop,
    Staring our new Dr Who. Funny film ( not as funny as thr TV series it was based on )
    This is how politics works or doesn't work. :))
    Spent the afternoon watching JFK. One of my favourite movies.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff

It's one of my all-time favs too...especially the extended cut -{
    YNWA 97
    Both of them getting their alibis sorted, you notice.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

It's one of my all-time favs too...especially the extended cut -{

I shouldn't joke about this, but this came to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wi-lW2poE4
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Just watching " The league of gentlemen " ( I have seen it many times) brilliant old movie. Why this
    Hasn't been remade I don't know IMHO it could be another " snatch " or " lock, stock ...... " :D
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    The Sessions

Lovely film based on the true story of Mark O'Brien, a poet/journalist who is physically disabled by polio and decides in his late thirties that the time has come for him to have sex. He has sensation in his entire body, but has no control of any muscles below his neck and spends most of his days in an iron lung. Played brilliantly by John Hawkes, Mark is witty, charming and very intelligent. After his advances scare off a caregiver whom he genuinely likes, Mark hires a "sex surrogate" (Helen Hunt) to help him achieve his goal. Of course, the goal being what it is, achieving it physically comes with emotional consequences that neither Mark nor his therapist are fully prepared for.

Given the subject matter, there is a ton of explicit talk and lots of nudity (especially for Helen Hunt) but somehow none of it ever feels lewd in any way. The characters are so well-drawn and well-played that the state of their undress fades into the background. John Hawkes and Helen Hunt both received Oscar nominations for their performances, and rightly so. The ever-reliable Bill Macy plays a liberal priest who serves as Mark's sounding board throughout his experience.

I was completely charmed by the film, predictable as it may have been. Recommended.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    The Sessions

Lovely film based on the true story of Mark O'Brien, a poet/journalist who is physically disabled by polio and decides in his late thirties that the time has come for him to have sex. He has sensation in his entire body, but has no control of any muscles below his neck and spends most of his days in an iron lung. Played brilliantly by John Hawkes, Mark is witty, charming and very intelligent. After his advances scare off a caregiver whom he genuinely likes, Mark hires a "sex surrogate" (Helen Hunt) to help him achieve his goal. Of course, the goal being what it is, achieving it physically comes with emotional consequences that neither Mark nor his therapist are fully prepared for.

Given the subject matter, there is a ton of explicit talk and lots of nudity (especially for Helen Hunt) but somehow none of it ever feels lewd in any way. The characters are so well-drawn and well-played that the state of their undress fades into the background. John Hawkes and Helen Hunt both received Oscar nominations for their performances, and rightly so. The ever-reliable Bill Macy plays a liberal priest who serves as Mark's sounding board throughout his experience.

I was completely charmed by the film, predictable as it may have been. Recommended.

I absolutely agree with your review. I had no particular expectations when I rented this movie, and I was utterly fascinated by the way it played out. Brilliant acting, especially by Hawkes. I was even impressed by Moon Bloodgood, who managed to downplay her usual glamorous appearance to quite effectively portray the rather nerdy, but reliable caregiver. Well done.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    edited November 2013
    Philomena

Head of MI6, M (played by Brendan O'Carroll of Mrs Brown's Boys) wants to find her camp long-lost son Rodgriguez, who is sending sinister missives to her home. She brings in from the cold, disgraced agent James Bond (played by Alan Partridge), who has been ostracised for sending an indiscreet email about how Daniel Craig is a rubbish actor. The two go on a car journey that takes them to Washington, where they bond, only to find all paths end up back where they started; the finale sees Bond and M hole up in a nunnery while the full might of the Roman Catholic Church is utilised as wave upon wave of fierce and belligerent nuns inflict damage in an effort to destroy them.

Actually, the film was much better than I thought it would be. Dench is brilliant as Philomena, the Irish woman who gave birth out of wedlock and had to go to a convent, now trying to find her son 45 years after he was taken from her and given up for adoption. Coogan is very good too, giving a star performance as Martin Sixsmith, for the first time watching him I didn't feel I was being invited to jeer at his character (though that was appropriate when watching Partridge or Tony Wilson in terms of how they were written). You sometimes wanted to be him.

Much better than the trailor suggested, where Dench makes some reference to her clitoris and Coogan sort of looks English and awkward for a tee-hee moment, it's generally on a higher level to that and the narrative pulls you along. Some of the journalism is a bit trite and skipped over though, they sort of head out and visit people not always making it clear they've phoned ahead, and Sixsmith's editor is always shot walking around the office urgently. But generally, perhaps the best film I've seen this year, not that there's a great pool to choose from.

Oh, and it's directed by Stephen Frears, the best Bond director who never was. I just feel comfortable watching his films in a way I used to feel watching the Bond movies. That said, I think he works better when he has some conviction over his subject matter, and I'm not sure that the likes of QoS and SF would really do it for him, or so I'd like to think.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Seven

Can't believe it's taken me so many years to actually see it. A great, gripping film. Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt were an excellent duo. 8/10
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby