Last film seen...

Comments

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Finally saw Erin Brockovich. Julia Roberts' breasts and legs give wonderful performances. Albert Finney has rarely been funnier.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    American Sniper on Blu Ray. Brilliant film.
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Finally saw Erin Brockovich. Julia Roberts' breasts and legs give wonderful performances. Albert Finney has rarely been funnier.

Agree on both points. :)
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I saw "Birdman" starring Michael Keaton. Keaton is perfectly cast, since the movie is about an actor who walked away from a huge comic book movie franchise years ago, and now is trying to break into theatre. "Birdman" is directed and written by Alejandro G. Iñárritu who later made The Revenant. Not only is the acting superb, the movie is full of very long takes. The story is both drama and comedy, with the lead strugling with both his ego and his alter ego. First of all: don't see this one if you want to see a superhero action adventure! If you on the other hand want to see a satirical drama, it comes very highly recomended! This movie is one of those that are very different and origional, and is also highly entertaining.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Calamity Jane

A pushy fraud from the Big Smoke (Chicago) inveigles her way into a warm-hearted, tough talking small town community by posing as a showgirl, Adelaide Adams, thereby trading on their hopes and dreams.

She even brings unwanted and unsolicited sapphic tendencies to the town by bunking down with the town's leading luminary and titular character, Calam, in a bid to 'turn' her.

In All About Eve style, she singlehandedly sets out to smash her would be relationship with a handsome local soldier, in order to secure her position and advance her lesbian intentions.

Eventually, she is exposed and undermined, and Calam threatens to run her out of town.

However, by the final reel, Calam relents, possibly to give her love rival the chance to 'heel'.

Features songs including 'Lock Her Up', 'I'm Gonna Build Myself a Wall (To Keep Them Injuns Out)' and 'Deadwood Politicans'.

This review comes to you courtesy of Trump TV Listings.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Last night I saw Arrival, directed by Denis Villeneuve and starring Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner.
    This is a movie about aliens coming to earth, but it's very different from Independence day. Adams plays a linguist who gets the job of trying to translate and communicate with the aliens. This movie is very much about language and communication, and it's done in a really smart way. I think the moviemakers have made some very inteligent and inovative ways to portray the aliens.
    Denis Villeneuve has earlier made the terrific Sicario, and he got the job to makem the new Bladerunner movie. Based on Sicario and Arrival the new Bladerunner will be a new classic.
    It's a Wonderful Life

A weak-minded liberal (James Stewart) finds his good deeds butter no parsnips when he finds himself broke on Christmas Eve, and rightly given the bum's rush by the Mr Potter, the town's economic powerhouse whose company the man has always eschewed.

Before he kills himself, an angel arrives to show him the error of his ways, demonstrating how lively and buzzing the town would be, if only he hadn't butted his nose in. Trumpsville, I mean Pottersville, would have been brimful of bars, booze and brothels. {[] -{

In spite of all this, the angel lets him off the hook in order to give him a chance to heal.

This review comes to you courtesy of Trump TV Listings.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I would like to see TrumpTV's review of "Wall Street" :)
    Could TrumpTV review "Thelma & Louise" too?
    "Showgirls" and "How to marry a millionaire"?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Are you looking for tips, Number24 ? ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    No, I'd like to be richer than Claudia Schiffer when we marry :D
    Seriouøsly, I would like to read TrumpTV's take on these movie classics :007)
    Inferno, a good enough thriller but a couple of "twists" you can easily predict.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Number24 wrote:

What, don't you think I have anything better to do? X-(

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Turns out you were right... :D

Wall Street

Cautionary tale of 1980s excess. A hard-nosed, ruthless venture capitalist (Michael Douglas) takes an uncharacteristic interest in helping the white, working class American by offering him a plum job in his firm, introducing him to a new set of friends and even introducing him to the love of his life (Darryl Hannah). In an All About Eve turn of events, however, little does he know that his new employee is the son of a Communist trade union leader and is working to undermine the firm from within. Film noir about the perils of excess philanthropy.

Thelma and Louise

Two middle aged women who in no way resemble Hilary Clinton and her Arab lover Huma Abedin go on the run after the FBI decides to investigate email irregularities. Both are forced to travel through States they would not normally bother with to bolster their cause, but not Wisconsin, foolishly. The cry of 'Lock em up!' growing ever stronger, and we see just how hypocritical their stance on gun control is when Brad Pitt tries it on.

Showgirls

Locker-room banter drama. Look, it was a long time ago, right? Anyway, some cage dancers (Lock 'em up!) aspire to be a star because when you're a star you can do anything, right? Elizabeth Berkeley and Gina Gershon are facing writs from me as soon as I'm President.

Dangerous Liaisons

The bitch appears without her make-up on, to growing catcalls of 'Lock her up!' End of story.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Number24 wrote:

What, don't you think I have anything better to do? X-(

Seriously, I actually wrote 'seriouøsly'!
    I løvæ it whæn thåt håppæns :))
    The Andromeda Strain :
    Another great 70s sci-fi classic, a little slow moving by today's standards, but a great idea.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    Grimsby. Sacha Baron Cohen as a lager swilling football hooligan and Mark Strong as a DC-Bond style secret agent team up to save the world. Vulgar but funny action-comedy with lots of well known faces.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Agreed, I found it very funny but also very vulgar and tasteless, .......... A bit like me then. :D
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    I always thought you were a gentleman of errr..... discerning tastes, TP :))
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,572Chief of Staff
    Suicide Squad....this film just misses on every level - which is such a same...massive plus point is Margot Robbie though :x
    YNWA 97
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    One of my all time favourite films is THE DRIVER starring Ryan O Neal and Bruce Dern , Now whilst bored the other I day I tried looking for it on AMAZON only to find DRIVER starring Ryan Gosling ,ok ill watch that , A similar story line starring a man with very similar boyish good looks as the young Mr O Neal hmmmm is this a re-make ?? a good film non the less ,but don't stay up late to watch it .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Laurel and Hardy's 'The Music Box'. Never have two men getting a piano up some steps been so funny.
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Strategic Air Command starring Brigadier General James Stewart USAF Reserve plus great aerial photography of "six turnin' and four burnin" B-36 Peacemaker bombers. Pure cold war propaganda but fantastic flying sequences and Jimmy Stewart basically playing himself, a former WW2 Bomb Group commander flying B-36s . Stewart was qualified to fly the B-36, B-47,B-52 and the supersonic B-58 Hustler and flew on at least one B-52 Arc-light bombing mission over Vietnam.
    Die Hard 4,
    I simply love the Die Hard movies. -{
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,420Quartermasters
    I finally got round to seeing The Hateful Eight during the weekend.

While I've always enjoyed Quentin Tarantino's films, I must admit to having become a little bit tired of them. His only post-2000 work that I really loved was Inglourious Basterds. The Hateful Eight was refreshing though - I enjoyed the tight containment of the setting, the constant build-up of tension, and of course the excellent Ultra-Panavision cinematography, both in the expansive outdoor scenes and the moody interiors. One of my favourite aspects though, was that it didn't have a jukebox soundtrack of hits from Tarantino's record collection, but rather a subtle, moody score from the great Ennio Morricone, with only a few source cues and songs thrown in. It reminded me of his early films, which were not so intent on copying specific genre styles but rather were exciting cinematic creations with their own unique style.
    Strong rumours say Norwegian actress Ingvild Deila will play Princess Leia in Rouge One :D
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Robin Hood 1938 Starring Errol Flynn

The DVD had a 'night at the movies' program that featured the original previews, newsreels, musicals and cartoons that preceded the feature. It was fun way to set the mood and imagine being at the cinema in 1938.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this version of Robin Hood..perhaps even enough to consider it the definitive version. There are a few things about it that bother me:

1. We only get like one scene with Maid Marian showing her gorgeous hair. The rest of the time she is wearing that ridiculous unsexy costume.

2. After all the fuss about killing the king's deer and then Robin takes it into the castle and drops it on the table in front of Prince John. Didn't Much kill the deer because his family was starving? And then Robin takes it and gives it back to the Prince for no real reason?

3. Robin and co are sure mean to Friar Tuck right from the get-go. Then every scene includes fat jokes directed at the Friar which gets old real quick.

I'd give it an 8/10
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Catwoman 1/6 (at least Gigli had some funny scenes with the retard , this however is just pitiful)

Deranged 4.5/6 , starring Roberts Blossom of Home Alone fame