Die another Day? yes, its as bad as I remember..

Comments

• Vladek_SheybalVladek_Sheybal Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    I'm amazed as to how little attention fire and ice paid to the post of Hardyboy. But whatever...by the way, heartbroken, that kind of talk is a subject for another thread.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    After watching DAD again it is actully better.
    I think after all the critisisim we have given it you should watch it. Its actully not bad.

- Jinx isnt that bad
    - miranda frost is amazing (not that she wasnt)
    - the only thing that ruins it is the ice wave this would have looked better if it didnt have the ice on it.

I reccomend you watch it then tell everyone what you think (on here)
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • royalmileroyalmile Station CPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    Quoting heartbroken_mr_drax:
    After watching DAD again it is actully better.
    I think after all the critisisim we have given it you should watch it. Its actully not bad.

- Jinx isnt that bad
    - miranda frost is amazing (not that she wasnt)
    - the only thing that ruins it is the ice wave this would have looked better if it didnt have the ice on it.

I reccomend you watch it then tell everyone what you think (on here)

I agree hmd.

i) Jinx is no worse than many others and I think people have taken offence at her claim to be some kind of 'special exception' Bond girl when she's obviously not. Time will tuck that away in the recesses of incidental peripherals and have less bearing on the way some regard her IN THE MOVIE, I think. And Halle looks great throughout, even if some of the lines are a tad throwaway. To me, I just see that as her character, though. I know many people who are like that!!! Bit too much airtime, maybe? Yep, probably. But let's not hang, draw and quarter the movie for that, eh?

ii) Miranda Frost. Yup, you said it!

iii) Very good point. The ice itself was really what brought that down. Would have looked better otherwise. Still, again, we can dislike the scene by all means, but why tar the whole movie because of it?

I just feel that while criticisms can be made, there are many positives to DAD. Take it for what it is, it's a fun movie with a lot to offer.
  • fire and icefire and ice EarthPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    Quoting Vladek_Sheybal:
    I'm amazed as to how little attention fire and ice paid to the post of Hardyboy. But whatever...by the way, heartbroken, that kind of talk is a subject for another thread.

In fact i only read the initial post, so sue me. ;)
    '...exceptionally fine shot...'
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,328MI6 Agent
    Okay Hardyboy, but what about the imdb? There are a whole slew of negative comments on the comments section about DAD. That's a bit more high profile at getting EON's attention than ajb...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Miguel AngeloMiguel Angelo Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Gentlemen! DAD was not that bad!

I for one look for the NECESSARY FACTORS (in my humble opinion) that make up Bond the character and Bond the premise...

1. Bond must be sophisticated and grown up (or act like it in ex. George Lazenby)

2. Bond must be well tailored, ESPECIALLY making sure that his shirts are spread or english collared and his suits double vented.

3. Bond must be able to easily venture among the beautiful fairer sex

4. Bond must always show an absurd and humourous side every now and then (yes, even if he is English)

5. The ladies...ahh the ladies...i could write a thesis on the imperative use of delicate (even Michelle Yeoh was delicate) and beautiful women, with their soft looking skin and curves that mandate an extended exploratory journey of the entire use of the senses...but you gentlemen understand this NECESSARY FACTOR without further explanation..

6. There must be STYLE elegantly presented throughout the film, in everything from Bond himself to the way the villian disposes of his henchmen.

I must say almost every Bond film has filled all these requisites for me and as long as they continue to do so i will thoroughly enjoy watching Bond do his thing, saving the world, executing the bad guys, loving the ladies (all while wearing his Turnbull & Asser spread collar shirts of course...)
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    That's what I said about preferences. I, for instance, don't care about Bond's clothing or what kind of shirt he wears, simply because I know a sod about clothing and I've been wearing similar set of joggings for a few years now. I only understand the @$$ part of 'Turnbull & Asser.' :))

In my book, weak villains and bad plots weight much, and that's why I feel DAD is lame. all the 'necessary factors' mentioned by Miguel Angelo are sort of 'basic attributes' for me, somethng I expect from EVERY Bond movie... and true, that every Bond movie delivers these.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,888Chief of Staff
    Quoting Napoleon Plural:
    Okay Hardyboy, but what about the imdb? There are a whole slew of negative comments on the comments section about DAD. That's a bit more high profile at getting EON's attention than ajb...

But IMDb is about films IN GENERAL and it attracts all sorts of people. AJB is a JAMES BOND site that attracts Bond fans. I think our posts and our opinions should be several cuts above the usual fare.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    But IMDb is about films IN GENERAL and it attracts all sorts of people. AJB is a JAMES BOND site that attracts Bond fans. I think our posts and our opinions should be several cuts above the usual fare.

The question is... Does EON care about the fans opinion? I mean we are stupid, we'll see the movies in the theatres, we'll buy the DVDs, we buy every cr@p with a 007 Logo on it... We're a done deal, they have us in their pockets. What EON is really aiming at (and I think DAD is a perfect example) is the big crowds, the average movie goer, who will watch any action flick. And of course, imdb is the gathering of these people...

I mean there are people that are convinced that Roger Moore is in YOLT! No offence, but there are some weird idiots over there. Also, the non-existent moderation makes some sort of freedom of speech feeling out there...
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Quoting Miguel Angelo:
    Gentlemen! DAD was not that bad!

I for one look for the NECESSARY FACTORS (in my humble opinion) that make up Bond the character and Bond the premise...

1. Bond must be sophisticated and grown up (or act like it in ex. George Lazenby)

2. Bond must be well tailored, ESPECIALLY making sure that his shirts are spread or english collared and his suits double vented.

3. Bond must be able to easily venture among the beautiful fairer sex

4. Bond must always show an absurd and humourous side every now and then (yes, even if he is English)

5. The ladies...ahh the ladies...i could write a thesis on the imperative use of delicate (even Michelle Yeoh was delicate) and beautiful women, with their soft looking skin and curves that mandate an extended exploratory journey of the entire use of the senses...but you gentlemen understand this NECESSARY FACTOR without further explanation..

6. There must be STYLE elegantly presented throughout the film, in everything from Bond himself to the way the villian disposes of his henchmen.

I must say almost every Bond film has filled all these requisites for me and as long as they continue to do so i will thoroughly enjoy watching Bond do his thing, saving the world, executing the bad guys, loving the ladies (all while wearing his Turnbull & Asser spread collar shirts of course...)

WHAT THE HELL!?
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The B20's first hour works and works well. Bond's encounter with Moon and Zao, hovercraft, torture sequence. Checking in the hotel for a shave, spy in the closet during the fountain escapade, etc. that's pretty original.

Up until it started to go cartoon action with computer enhanced back flips off cliffs I enjoyed it very much. Imo, it's got about 45 to 50% of what I want in a Bond film. The latter part of the second and all of the third act is what I disliked. But to say it has no redeeming factors whatsoever is unneccesarily harsh and simply not true, imo.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited February 2005
    Quoting Alex:
    The B20's first hour works and works well. Bond's encounter with Moon and Zao, hovercraft, torture sequence. Checking in the hotel for a shave, spy in the closet during the fountain escapade, etc. that's pretty original.

Up until it started to go cartoon action with computer enhanced back flips off cliffs I enjoyed it very much. Imo, it's got about 45 to 50% of what I want in a Bond film. The latter part of the second and all of the third act is what I disliked. But to say it has no redeeming factors whatsoever is unneccesarily harsh and simply not true, imo.

Exactly.Parts of the movie work for me too-although the script needed another polish,Their attempt at sophisticated sexual innuendo was pretty childish--"I got the thrust of it",indeed.I didn't care much for Zao or Miranda or Jinx,either.And Toby Stephens wore out his welcome towards the close of the film.

But ultimately,Die Another Day is only a movie.I sincerely doubt that EON was attempting to do anything other than entertain.The tenor of some comments and the obvious hostility in many of the strongest criticisms practically suggests that certain audience members took the film as a personal insult or even as a crime against humanity.And it's not that--not really--just an mediocre/adequate James Bond film that tried to do something a little different:salute it's franchise's long and rich history during the course of the story.

I strongly suspect that if EON hadn't acknowledged it's history in the 20th movie in 40 years released to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the literary James Bond's first appearance in print,they'd have been read the riot act by fans angry that this unique triple birthday was ignored.EON couldn't win either way.I can see the thread titles now:"EON Ignores it's Past","Unhappy Birthday",etc.

Additionally,it's also my suspicion that some fans simply didn't like the sight of Pierce Brosnan being involved in a more fantastic motion picture than usual.And that damaged Die Another Day for them.As if somehow Brosnan's James Bond is more "realistic" than Roger Moore's.In all fairness,Sir Roger made his share of semirealistic Bonds too-For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy.Die Another Day is every bit as believable as The Spy Who Loved Me(Underwater city,master race and submarine car) and Moonraker(genetically perfect people in a secret outer space city), and those films are generally popular despite or even because of their fantastic elements.And then there's Sean Connery's Diamonds Are Forever (Blofeld in DRAG armed with a laser-firing satellite designed to hold the earth in his grip) and You Only Live Twice (Really--a hideout in a hollowed out VOLCANO, with rocketships that swallow satellites?C'mon...).Aside from Tim Dalton and George Lazenby, all of the other Bonds have been in at least one overtly fanciful motion picture.It was Pierce's turn and he does very well adapting to the changing tone of the storyline--in my opinion,anyway.He holds the film together.

Let's try not to get too worked up over Die Another Day.Yes,it's flawed and it's not the masterpiece it should have been but it's not the worst film in the series,either.It even has some memorable--in a good way-- moments.For example,the swordfight at Blades club is quite impressive.And anyone who'll slash the "Blue Boy" in half without even blinking an eye can't possibly be up to any good...;)
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    For example,the swordfight at Blades club is quite impressive.quote]
    Forgot to mention that, impressive with nil effects. A war of words and swords, I'd like to see more dialogue wars in the future.

Also have to add the Cuba scenes, Q's part, (a definite highlight, perhaps I'm biased since it's Mr. Cleese. Either way he's quite good as always) Moon's father, and my favorite scene with PB and Berry, (it comes off very naturally) the revival of Jinx after Bond shatters the windshield, great exchange between the pair right there. If directed proper, (and this isn't a slam against Tamahori) showed she's not bad in every scene.

Of course this might sound patronising to the film's ardent fans, but this isn't my intent, honest. There are parts I like, love, and hate. Just like all the other Bond films. (with the exception of the grand four) :p
    edited February 2005
    Quoting Alex:
    Quoting Alex:
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    Forgot to mention that, impressive with nil effects. A war of words and swords, I'd like to see more dialogue wars in the future.

Also have to add the Cuba scenes, Q's part, (a definite highlight, perhaps I'm biased since it's Mr. Cleese. Either way he's quite good as always) Moon's father, and my favorite scene with PB and Berry, (it comes off very naturally) the revival of Jinx after Bond shatters the windshield, great exchange between the pair right there. If directed proper, (and this isn't a slam against Tamahori) showed she's not bad in every scene.

Of course this might sound patronising to the film's ardent fans, but this isn't my intent, honest. There are parts I like, love, and hate. Just like all the other Bond films. (with the exception of the grand four) :p

Agreed-the Q scene is outstanding.The dialogue,"You're smarter than you look." "Better than looking smarter than you are","I never joke about my work,007!",were reportedly written by John Cleese and injected into the script.Both Brosnan and Cleese make that sequence a special moment within an occasionally disappointing movie.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited February 2005

I thought the fencing scene was excellent, with the exception of Brosnan's portrayal of Bond. Bond seemed unreasonably angry at Graves, for no real purpose. Bond wouldn't let any emotions he has simmer to the surface, especially in such a subtle scene of confrontation. It's like he lost control. I couldn't help but think Graves was the better man at the end of the contest, laughing off the defeat while Bond still seemed to pout about his victory.

And, Alex :o What happened to your avatar!? I'm going to miss Steed's smiling face!
    Quoting darenhat:
    I thought the fencing scene was excellent, with the exception of Brosnan's portrayal of Bond. Bond seemed unreasonably angry at Graves, for no real purpose. Bond wouldn't let any emotions he has simmer to the surface, especially in such a subtle scene of confrontation. It's like he lost control. I couldn't help but think Graves was the better man at the end of the contest, laughing off the defeat while Bond still seemed to pout about his victory.
    The only serious problem for me is PB seemed a tad hesitant at times. I'll have to give the film another spin for whose is the final word in the emotional battle thing. Can't blame anyone on my former comment though, rehearsing that scene was probably the most arduous of the entire film for both Brosnan and Stephens. Well, except maybe the parachute drop. (liked that one as well)
    Quoting darenhat:
    And, Alex :o What happened to your avatar!? I'm going to miss Steed's smiling face!
    Miss Peel called him back to London. :D (but thanks for the compliment)! Those that have been here a while might be aware I like to change my pic icons annually. You should have seen the previous one, no smiling and charming countenance there ..
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    Quoting Alex:

Miss Peel called him back to London. :D (but thanks for the compliment)! Those that have been here a while might be aware I like to change my pic icons annually. You should have seen the previous one, no smiling and charming countenance there ..

Mrs. Peel will be quite lonely without her trusty Steed now :P You know, Steed looked quite a bit like Mr. Peel in "the Forget Me Knot" :)) I suppose they're reuinted now?

I'm embarassed to say that I honestly can't remember what your previous avatar was...
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • AtticusAtticus Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    Quoting Alex:
    my favorite scene with PB and Berry, (it comes off very naturally) the revival of Jinx after Bond shatters the windshield, great exchange between the pair right there. If directed proper, (and this isn't a slam against Tamahori) showed she's not bad in every scene.

You know, that scene made me cringe more than any other in the film. Her near-death experience prompted a pretty strong display of emotion from Bond, who's usually quite cavalier about that sort of stuff. So what did I miss? Why does he care more about Jinx than any of the others, bar Tracy?
    Quoting Tracy:
    I'm embarassed to say that I honestly can't remember what your previous avatar was...

It was some kind of skull wasn't it? I think it had soemthing to do with the band Danzig... ( ?:) )
  • little nellie1little nellie1 Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    Quoting Atticus:

You know, that scene made me cringe more than any other in the film. Her near-death experience prompted a pretty strong display of emotion from Bond, who's usually quite cavalier about that sort of stuff. So what did I miss? Why does he care more about Jinx than any of the others, bar Tracy?
    I have often wondered that too. Remember, Bond doesn't even like Jinx in the begining of the film. And then all of the sudden if she dies it is going to be a big deal to him. Usually when an agent dies, sure it ticks him off, but he dosn't get all emotional over it.
    Quoting little nellie1:
    Quoting little nellie1:
    Quoting Atticus:

I have often wondered that too. Remember, Bond doesn't even like Jinx in the begining of the film. And then all of the sudden if she dies it is going to be a big deal to him. Usually when an agent dies, sure it ticks him off, but he dosn't get all emotional over it.

I wondered about this behavior too.It's really out of character.Maybe 007 cares so much about Jinx in that scene because she won an Academy Award for her previous motion picture?:)
    I think this is what they mean by 'emotional Bond.' (shrug)
    And then the slap _ "what took you so long?" Bond grinned and nodded as if "forgive me, majesty"

Didn't make me cringe, I thought it was a great scene. _ Probably not even one single nano second with Berry in it that detractors will admit was of any worth, and that's a shame. Cut off your nose to spite thy face, if you want to.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,328MI6 Agent
    No No No No No.

Everything you've all mentioned is awful too.

The swordfight: Bond looks overweight compared to the lithe young Graves who is the real deal, posturing or no posturing. Bond looks like a tubby white teddybear. Yet unaccountably outduels an expert swordsman just cos he's Bond, it's in the script.
    And I agree, why do they suddenly hate each other? And they're smashing up expensive equipment like it's a laugh. They don't NEED to fight. It's not life or death. But it's all like the museum curators can easily overlook it rather than have the two arrested.
    But of course, it only a Bond film right?

Jinx: "What took you so long?" Awful, as it's a line from that mickey-taking spoof in the film The Player, where Bruce Willis rescues Julia Roberts from the clink and he replies "Traffic was a bitch". It's to show how rubbish films can be. Yet in DAD they use it for real. D'uh!

Q's line: "Better than looking smarter than you are" yawn. It's a rip-off from John Lennon's banter with Muhammad Ali back in 1964. Ali: "Hey, you're not as dumb as you look". Lennon: "You are".

See Hardyboy, I don't just make this up. EVERYTHING in that awful film sucks.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Red GrantRed Grant Posts: 147MI6 Agent
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    Quoting little nellie1:
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    Quoting little nellie1:
    Quoting Atticus:

I wondered about this behavior too.It's really out of character.Maybe 007 cares so much about Jinx in that scene because she won an Academy Award for her previous motion picture?:)

For me, I took it as he obviously didnt want an innocent person to die, espically one that he is responsile for her position. Remember, Bond told Jinx to find Miranda, sending her to the room that she would be trapped in. It doesnt seem to be in Bond's nature to just discard innocent life, espically if he can save it.

The only emotion I didnt understand was the look of loss on Bonds face upon Miranda's death. Why? She only betrayed you, sent you to hell for 14 months, and she didnt even die at your own hands? What possible feeling could he have for her?
    Quoting Red Grant:
    Quoting Red Grant:
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    Quoting Red Grant:
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    Quoting little nellie1:

For me, I took it as he obviously didnt want an innocent person to die, espically one that he is responsile for her position. Remember, Bond told Jinx to find Miranda, sending her to the room that she would be trapped in. It doesnt seem to be in Bond's nature to just discard innocent life, espically if he can save it.

The only emotion I didnt understand was the look of loss on Bonds face upon Miranda's death. Why? She only betrayed you, sent you to hell for 14 months, and she didnt even die at your own hands? What possible feeling could he have for her?

Good points Red(and welcome back to AJB!).I also found it unbelievable Bond would care a whit about the woman who betrayed him.She deserved no sympathy whatsover--and it's not as if Bond had fallen in love with Miranda.In fact he barely knew her.Good riddance.
    It's quite anachronistic in that setting... I mean a plane is flaming around you, and you are having thoughts about a woman who was responsible for the worst 14 months of your life. It seems Brosnan's Bond gets emotianally attacehed to everybody too easily.
    edited February 2005
    Extract from the novel FRWL

(Taken from Bond's Soviet dossier)

"Vices: Drink, but not to excess. and women."

All kinds. Traitoresses included.
  • Red GrantRed Grant Posts: 147MI6 Agent
    Quoting Alex:

Fair enough, but lets remember Bond was ready to blow her brains out in the Ice Palace (a favorite scene of mine by the way, such a great build up of tension.)
  • AtticusAtticus Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    Quoting Red Grant:
    Quoting Red Grant:
    Quoting Alex:

Fair enough, but lets remember Bond was ready to blow her brains out in the Ice Palace (a favorite scene of mine by the way, such a great build up of tension.)

I can almost believe - admittedly at a stretch - that Bond could develop feelings for Miranda. On the surface, she's exactly the kind of woman you'd expect him to fall in love with - she's beautiful, elegant, intelligent, athletic ... not a million miles away from Tracy, in fact.

But I see absolutely no reason why he would give a toss either way about that Jinx person. She's vulgar, obnoxious, thick, and she has a very annoying habit of delivering her lines in this stupid sing-song manner - "born on Friday 13th", "I'll always be a Jinx to you" and "looks like we're goin' downuggether" ... ugh. What is she, a nine-year-old?

I'm not saying Bond has to be a caveman and suppress all emotion but why should the well-being of someone like Jinx be a cause for such concern? When he saved her from the ice palace, he hadn't been that close to tears since his wife was shot in the head on their wedding day. What was so special about Jinx?