Die another Day? yes, its as bad as I remember..

Comments

• I never missI never miss EnglandPosts: 47MI6 Agent
    When I left the cinema in Nov 02 having just seen DAD I felt unsure about it. Certain parts had classic Bond all over them (Blades fight, underground station) but the poor CGI embarressed me greatly. When it came out on DVD I had a chance to reassess it. Yes the CGI is poor (the worst bit is Jinx's dive - unforgivably bad) but the film is not as terrible IMO as some have made out. The DVD has some good extras on it too which helps to make the whole thing more enjoyable.

Pros: 2 or 3 strong scenes, R Pike, Vanquish,

Cons: poor CGI, poorly written Jinx character, Brosnan sleepwalking a bit, 'samey' music (love theme excepted)

All in all a 2.5* Bond movie in my opinion.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Actually, they do have that invisible technology, they make coats that do the same thing in Japan. However, they aren't as good as the car, which obviously wasn;t real.
  • I never missI never miss EnglandPosts: 47MI6 Agent
    I have just seen DAD for the first time in about a year. When I originally saw it at the cinema I was really taken aback by it - it just didn't feel like a Bond movie to me and I thought it was souless and vacuous. As it was the 40th anniversary, and as it was being produdced by the TWINE team (a movie I love) I had high hopes for DAD. I was a bit disappointed and, whilst owning it, didn't really watch it a great deal.

My recent viewing has changed my opinion somewhat. Yes, it will never be a classic Bond movie, that much is certain. Yes, it has accurately been described as the MK for the 21st century, and there is really no getting away from this. The thing is, MK has its fans, even amongst the hardcore fans. MK is, for me, in the second 10 of the 20 film series, but this doesn't mean it is unenjoyable. The same is true of DAD, which, although highly implausible, is no more ridulous than MK.

To some up, DAD is no where near as bad as I remembered it to be. Yes, BB and MGW let us down a bit with the movie, but then not every film Cubby produced was universally liked. Personally, I think DAD is better than AVTAK and TMWTGG.

A few things things that occured to me about DAD:

* R Pike's acting was better than I remembered.
    * The CGI parasurfing CGI was better than I remembered - the truly woeful bit for me is the Jinx dive.
    * Jinx was a little less irritating, though not much.
    * The poor taste use of Mr Kil's severed hand - this makes Bond and Jinx look like psychopaths!
    * The Blades fight - time will be kind to this scene and in 20 years time I think most of us will respect it.
    * The music wasn't as techno-bland as I remembered.
    * Brosnan's performance, though patchy, was better than I remembered (still think when he takes off the virtual mask is his worst moment of acting as Bond - completely fed up and disinterested).
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    I loved the parts with the virtual mask. It was a nice tie in. Especially the part with Moneypenny near the end. That always makes me laugh. :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • e-town007e-town007 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    i think it was ok to be honest we should have some respect for the newer bonds its not like roger moore is gonna make a come back hes like 80 years old
  • RogermooreseyebrowsRogermooreseyebrows Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    e-town007 wrote:
    i think it was ok to be honest we should have some respect for the newer bonds its not like roger moore is gonna make a come back hes like 80 years old

Pierce was great as James Bond, however DAD does not do him justice at all!. I was so dissapointed when I saw it in the cinema when it came out. Story line too farfetched (even for James bond) gadgets over the top. Main bad guy (Graves) a total wimp to be honest, he wore a wimpy suit and looked like a wimp. Bond girls were unimpressive. The car was good but why make it invisable? why?? ruined! genetic face changing was confusing and awful!. The diamonds and the laser beam has been done before I think :P. Just awful, one to forget!
  • Moonraker 10Moonraker 10 Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    And as for Moonraker?

Whenever a Brosnan film is damned Moonraker is trotted out. Yes, I'll admit, it has faults the size of Iguacu Falls but it is a well told story (the same story as TSWLM but I digress). I can tell bond has to go to Rio due to it being printed on the packing cases. It has cause and effect.

Something DAD doesn't even come close to doing...

Exactly. Thanks for the def. of MR. Such an underrated movie. DAD doesn't hold a candle to MR's villain, Bond, girl, CGI amazingly, and story. MR's a damn classic compared to DAD!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    I will concede that Moonraker is sometimes unfairly pilloried, but...come on.

JAWS: Well...here's to us.

There's plenty to poke fun of there, as there surely is in all Bond movies cranked out after the mid-60s. You're not even a little bothered by the space station debris FALLING STRAIGHT DOWN as it explodes, or the vigorously burning fires IN THE VACUUM OF SPACE?

I could go on, but...it's all been said before. God bless you for your forgiveness. If most people would only feel as you do, Bond will go on for a thousand years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'dissing' or insulting you. I am merely standing back and looking on in genuine awe.

Cheers! -{ :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • NatalyaNatalya Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    To me the CGI was HORRIBLE!(shakes head) Rosamund Pike was the only bright spot in DAD. Unfortunately, I've yet to see her in any films after this. (Though look out for DOOM, later this summer. Pike plays the female lead in it.)
    I will concede that Moonraker is sometimes unfairly pilloried, but...come on.

JAWS: Well...here's to us.

There's plenty to poke fun of there, as there surely is in all Bond movies cranked out after the mid-60s. You're not even a little bothered by the space station debris FALLING STRAIGHT DOWN as it explodes, or the vigorously burning fires IN THE VACUUM OF SPACE?

I could go on, but...it's all been said before. God bless you for your forgiveness. If most people would only feel as you do, Bond will go on for a thousand years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'dissing' or insulting you. I am merely standing back and looking on in genuine awe.

Cheers! -{ :007)

I really don't care whether it falls "straight down" or not, in fact I did not even notice this until you told me, but what I meant was that the space station was realistic, unlike that tidal wave in DAD. Cheers to you, too.
  • JamesBondFan64JamesBondFan64 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    I kind of have to agree there. Die Another Day was the most rushed movie I have ever seen. The only parts that were amazing about it was the car chase on ice and the sword fighting. Those were cool. Apart from that I found it pretty boring all the way through mostly. Even "The World Is Not Enough" was a little boring too but not as bad and it had a better script and the acting was better as well.
    Hopefully Brosnan will have a chance to redeem himself in 'Royale', but if not, then his reign will only be known for making money, and not for good Bond films (although GE is one of my faves).
  • JamesBondFan64JamesBondFan64 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    I thought Tomorrow Never Dies was good too as well.
  • Count DookuCount Dooku ParisPosts: 18MI6 Agent
    I thought Tomorrow Never Dies was good too as well.

I do too... I think DAD is too theatrical in the bad sense of the word. The Heat Ray is too enormous and the special effects aren't at stake. But the sword fight and car chase are pretty good. The sequence on the frozen river is visually dazzling...
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    I will also answer your list:

10. Michael Madsen as Damien Falco- He wasn't that offensive but what really ticked me off was that Bond couldn't escape and he had this dirty beard.

9. The plane cgi- The stunts were better in previous films.

8. The Hong Kong bedroom scene- It was pointless. I mean, if she was goiing to kill him or threaten him, why did they need to film it? And if they were going to blackmail him, why did she have a gun?

7. Misuse of Judi Dench-She was okay, but not terrible.

6. John Cleeses R - I liked him.

5. Mr Kill - A bad henchman, but not the worst ever. certainly the subject of the worst pun ever.

4. The plot- They should have kept to the DNA swaps, instead of ripping off DAF.

3. Halle Berry -I don't think she was that bad. And I disagree about the dialogue. no, the worst thing was her over-political correctness.

2. The cgi-agree.

and the winner is...

1. Toby Stephens as Gustav Graves.. an impeturous little boy.

The worse villain, the worse casting, the worse character....I could go on and on..

Stephens is a good actor, the fencing scenes hark back to his RSC days. There is no menace there, never once did I feel he was a threat to 007. Badly directed, I've never seen such OTT sneering since Alan Rickman. I believe the term in acting is "mugging for the camera". Also too young and just doesn't generate fear like a good Bond villain does. The worse Bond villain ever...[/quote]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • down2000down2000 Santa Monica, CAPosts: 75MI6 Agent
    Ughhhhh...this movie is the pits. My stomach was in knots when I heard the "OHMSS and LTK" were panned as well. This poor excuse for a Bond movie doesn't come close to either of those films.

Besides the CGI...how about Tamahori's use of the Matrix style slow motion. I mean come on, this was awful. Are they going to get that Charlies' Angels hack McG to direct some 007 films in the future.

This movie was not for Bond fans but was to make money by appealing to the under 15 movie going crowd.

As for the story...how about a cheap ripoff of Diamonds are Forever....diamonds used for a sort of WMD....oh...this movie was bad!
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    I certainly do not like it, but I do not hate it either. It is still better than AVTAK and TLD and even (maybe steching it) TND.
  • Walther 00Walther 00 Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    I've recently taken pocession of the DAD DVD and watched it last night. The first time since I winced through it at the cinema in Nov 2002..

and yes its as painful as I remember..

Bad characterisation, lousy direction, woeful cgi and a plot that was so dreadful it was an insult to celluloid. I swear the lamentable Johnny English could do better. In fact , I swear, Purvis and Wade thought they were writing Johnny English..

"Its the future.." says Cleeses' R, "get used to it..."

So that is the future of Bond - a film so speedily directed the plot, which is **** anyway, is incomprehensible. The actors are clumsily directed (did you see Brosnan in the seduction of Miranda scene?) and the plot is such a rehash of the other 20 films I wondered why they bothered. Homage? *******s - lazy scriptwriting if you ask me. I know my stuff about 007 - I regularly contribute to the James Bond international fan club magazine and have had articles published all over the world - I consider Die Another Day to be the worse film of the twenty....

Broadshoulders top ten of DAD stinkers (hold your nose)

10. Michael Madsen as Damien Falco - obnoxious offensive character whom Fleming always sent up in his books

9. The plane cgi, never mind the tidal wave cgi, this cgi looks like someone having a go at etchastretch. Awful.

8. The Hong Kong bedroom scene, the traditional treacherous girl scene was sent into overkill by the inclusion of the Chinese PRS - it just didn't work for me.

7. Misuse of Judi Dench. I think Dame J uses the Bonds to pay her mortgage. How else did she agree to do this tripe..

6. John Cleeses R - about as funny as a trip to the vets. The props from the previous films made me nostagic for all the wrong reasons.

5. Mr Kill - surely the most awful henchman ever. The actor doesn't need to act so how comes he STILL gives a bad performance. Sounds like Tamahori got one of his talentless Kiwi mates on screen.

4. The plot? Quite frankly, if I'd have been North Korean I'd have been offended by their portrayal as Commie swines. And what is all this bilge about DNA transplants and body swaps. The worse plot in 40 years!

3. Halle Berry = chief stinker. I didn't remember her being so bad the first round but after watching her again - ye gods, can you send Oscars back? She looks so out of place and the Jinx/007 meeting scene has the clunkiest dialogue and worse acting I have seen in years. It almost, I said almost, makes me wish for Denise Richards back - nah, perhaps not..

2. The cgi, well, it was going to be number one but there is a worse crime. It destroys any belief you have in the story. How can you believe that 007 is in danger if you know the background is a cartoon? How can you believe that cliff is real? Not good..

and the winner is...

1. Toby Stephens as Gustav Graves..

Phewww...what a stinker?

The worse villain, the worse casting, the worse character....I could go on and on..

Stephens is a good actor, the fencing scenes hark back to his RSC days. There is no menace there, never once did I feel he was a threat to 007. Badly directed, I've never seen such OTT sneering since Alan Rickman. I believe the term in acting is "mugging for the camera". Also too young and just doesn't generate fear like a good Bond villain does. The worse Bond villain ever...

LOL, that was very funny!

Especially the stuff about Mr.Kill, had me in stitches.

Great work,

Walther
  • representationrepresentation Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I was wondering what your opinion was on the representation of women in bond films?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,304MI6 Agent
    What's that got to do with the price of fish, Miss Representation? ;)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited May 2006
    I was wondering what your opinion was on the representation of women in bond films?
    There are actually several threads devoted to that very topic. Just do a search and you're bound to come across a few of the threads. Oh, and welcome to the site! {[]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • corleone44corleone44 Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    Ahhh...a most hated Bond film. In some ways I agree; in others I don't. To be blunt its my least favorite Bond film. Worst of them all? Perhaps. I'll get lynched for this, but I still find DAD to be fun, escapist entertainment. I still watch it because its mindless, enjoyable stuff.

But still, when I watch it a certain sadness comes over me. Pierce Brosnan's previous Bond entries I really like, but this one is a different story. Anyway...

The Bad:

1. As mentioned before, the terrible CGI in this movie absolutely depressed me. Some of the scenes with the invisible car made me sick.

2. Rather bad acting by some of the cast (this does not include Brosnan or Michael Madsen IMO.)

3. John Cleese isn't bad, but I woefully missed the great Desmond Llewelyn as Q. Nobody replaces him.

4. You really have to dig for a plot here.

The Good:

1. The movie was fun and two hours didn't seem very long.

2. I'm a fan of Michael Madsen as an actor. Wasn't much of a showcase here though.

3. Pierce Brosnan as Bond. Thats it.

I still feel stupid for enjoying any of it. But we all have our guilty pleasures and thats pretty much what DAD is for me.
  • SB_DiamondSB_Diamond North Miami Beach, FLPosts: 126MI6 Agent
    Ah, another round of DAD bashing, how I do enjoy it! It keeps being said how the plot was ripped off from DAF, let me just say that DAF is the only Connery film I really did not enjoy and so doing it again umpting years later and thinking us hardcore fans wouldn't notice, for shame EON, for shame. Now I must also agree about Halle Berry sucking in this movie, but hey she did Catwoman after winning an Oscar, what do you say to that? I really hate the idea of an "I can do everything Bond can do" female character. I'm a bit of a tradtionalist in the sense that I like the helplessness that Bond girls have, what woman doesn't want to be rescued from the clutches of disaster and then made love to passionately by Bond? I know I do, but like I said I'm a Connery girl. But overall I found that this movie was more about the gadgetry and cheesy dialogue then good acting and good plot lines.
    *~Orbis Non Sufficit~*
  • cbdouble07cbdouble07 Posts: 132MI6 Agent
    When I first saw DAD I didn't think much of it. It was okay, just escapist action stuff. Nothing special and certainly nowhere near the quality of many of the films. It was watchable and entertaining in a mindless way. After CR I saw DAD in a whole different light. It was tired, stale, cliched, poorly acted, CGI-riddled, full of cheesy dialogue, and too overboard on gadgets. I don't regard it as the worst film (that honor belongs to AVTAK IMO) but it is certainly right down there near the bottom. That said it does have some redeeming qualities such as Pierce Brosnan's performance and some cool scenes like Bond entering the hotel dripping wet and poorly clothed. Definitely my favorite part of the movie. I'm starting to soften my stance on this movie a little as time goes on and am seeing it's place in history. It showed us and the producers that the formula was becoming stale and they needed to reengergize the franchise. Anything that led to CR and the current direction is great IMO. I don't hate any of the Bond films so don't dislike DAD that much. It's just kind of a disappointment to me. But it's a disappointment that can still entertain me when I am in the right mood and don't care to think.
  • cms64cms64 Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    By far the worst. By far.
    Tamahori on the DVD: "I don't want to be the director that makes the bad Bond"
    Well, you did.
  • CactusCactus Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    edited March 2008
    Hi

Just been watching DAD on ITV. I've been browsing this forum for a while, but watching this tonight inspired me to register and give my $0.02. In short, it is awful. Normally I am a fan of Brosnan films, especially Goldeneye, but not this one.

I think the most annoying parts are:

1) Jynx. Every line she says just makes me cringe. All the overstated sexual inuendos whilst staring at Bond's crown jewells. "Yo mama!" (@ Mr Kill (a ridiculous name, even by Bond standards)) please...

2) That satelite. Ridiculous. Made Star Wars look like Pride and Prejudice.

3) Graves. Went way ott with the charisma to the extent where he is just plain corny. Compounded by the suit he wears on the plane. Makes him look like the mother of all Action Man dolls.

4) The invisible car.

Not the worst film. I did enjoy the hovercraft opening scene and the finale on the the aircraft (Good that they used a Russian Antonov, and not an American cargo plane with some Red Stars stuck on the side). Frost and old diamond face were also good characters. Overall though poor and CR was a refreshing drop back down to earth.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,304MI6 Agent
    I caught it on tv the other night; it works better as you don't take it seriously, there's always a change of scene or location and it's just a bit of fun like DAF, albeit without the wit. The cinematography gives less eye strain, too. I didn't see all of it, mind.

Brosnan pulls some odd facial expressions in it, anyone noticed this? And he looks young escaping from Graves' lair, but old and fat after months banged up and tortured, they should have reshot it.

Paragliding scene still as awful as ever. :o
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,296MI6 Agent
    Ive only watched DAD twice, once in the cinema and once on DVD, just to remind myself how awful it was. I dont need any more reminding. Its just plain bad. At the cinema showing, I felt the movie started okay, if a little silly, but by the time PB appeared looking like a reject from the cast of a Robinson Crusoe Xmas panto, I was shrinking further and further into my seat for shame. My only enjoyment while watching on DVD was spotting all the other Bond references. Its just crud. I imagine its how a Matt Helm movie would look if they made them in 2002.
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    I go back to it now and again. It's not my favorite, but I just can't hate it. It's Bond, and it makes me feel good. This franchise and anything with a xenomorph alien or Predator in it just help me escape my world of mediocre responsibility.

I fully accept that there's stuff that just doesn't look real by any stretch of the imagination, i.e. rocket car on ice cliff through to parasurfing on dubious avalanche wave. The Icarus suit also truly wouldn't look good on anybody (Remember how Arnie looked in Batman & Robin? YEESH!!).
    edited April 2008
    I recently watched part of DAD and I was reminded just why it's third-last on my list. This is ahrd to put in words but in the scene in which Frost went to inform Jinx that she was going to be drowned, Halle Berry acted so much as if she couldn't bother to act and was so messily apathetic that I considered withdrawing my marriage proposal to her. :#