Spider-Man 3

Comments

• Secret Agent ManSecret Agent Man Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Quoting asio:
    One comic book movie that stayed true to it's source material was Hellboy. I think that the only thing they changed was the name of the Professor. My brother Maarten is a big BPRD fan, and he can't wait to see what they have in the sequel (which has just been greenlit).

Actually, Hellboy is very different from the original Mike Mignola comic--in fact, director Guillermo del Toro calls his film a "jazz riff" on the comic. To give you some examples: Professor Brougham dies on page 2 of the very first HB comic; Hellboy is a paranormal investigator who works in the open, and whose appearance doesn't even raise eyebrows; there's no romance between HB and Liz, etc. The movie is most faithful to the comic in terms of its look and in a few scenes that were clearly inspired by Mignola, such as the talking corpse HB slings over his shoulder. Still, I like both versions of Hellboy--just as I like both Ian Fleming's Bond and the film version.

Is it true that in the movie there is Christian symbolism!? Like I've heard that he has a cross in the palm of his hand and holds on to one. And then he pulls off his horns.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Quoting Secret Agent Man:
    Is it true that in the movie there is Christian symbolism!? Like I've heard that he has a cross in the palm of his hand and holds on to one. And then he pulls off his horns.

Yes--in the movie Hellboy is a practicing Catholic; and the scene where he pulls off his horns is actually pretty similar to a sequence in the comics.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Quoting Hardyboy:

Yes--in the movie Hellboy is a practicing Catholic; and the scene where he pulls off his horns is actually pretty similar to a sequence in the comics.

Is there any other symbolism!?
    Is there any other symbolism!?

Not so much symbolism (one thing representing another) as imagery; so, to answer your question, yes, Hellboy has plenty of Catholic/Christian images. Hellboy is brought to earth in the ruins of an abbey in Wales; he uses relics of saints to help battle monsters; the entrance to the villain's lair is in a Russian Orthodox cemetery, where crosses and crucifixes abound, etc., etc. Why not rent the movie and see for yourself?

Oh, and what happened to the Spider-Man 3 talk?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • obsessed27obsessed27 Posts: 22MI6 Agent
    WOW! Aintitcool spies confirm that Church will play Sandman!!!
    Quoting obsessed27:
    WOW! Aintitcool spies confirm that Church will play Sandman!!!

I read not too long ago that Raimi was considering either Venom or the Vulture for the next villain, and for a while I thought that Church might have been cast for the Vulture. He's skinny and sallow-looking--shave his head and add a hook nose and it could work. However, I hope that he is indeed playing Sandman--he's one of my favorite Spidey villains, and I certainly think that today's FX technology would do true justice to the character. I just hope Raimi retains the widow's peak and green striped shirt!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • obsessed27obsessed27 Posts: 22MI6 Agent
    Agreed, Hardyboy. Today´s FX would do justice to Sandman. Hey, they used it well with Michael Jackson in his "Remember the Time" music video! Remember? At the end, he disintegrated into sand. I´m sure they could do more cool things with it.

I sure hope they weren´t considering Vulture. I dunno. The character just seems too silly for me. Come on, a vulture???

And I hope they only introduce one villain. No multiple villains like the Batman series, please.
  • KielFan91KielFan91 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    After not being active for several months I'm back to add my two cents. (Not like anyone cares)

I would like to see mabye several of the lesser Spidey villians not joining together but mabey having less important to the whole world plans all happening at once. The Lizard, Vulture, Mysterio, and ESPECIALLY Kraven. I would like it to be faithful to their original introductions in the comics. Chameleon and sandman could also be done.

However, I think if they did Venom theid wait to a future installment. He is a bit later in the series. And to spice it up they could add Carnage.
    Quoting KielFan91:
    I would like to see mabye several of the lesser Spidey villians not joining together but mabey having less important to the whole world plans all happening at once. The Lizard, Vulture, Mysterio, and ESPECIALLY Kraven. I would like it to be faithful to their original introductions in the comics. Chameleon and sandman could also be done.

Sounds like you're asking them to do the original "Sinister Six" story from 1964, when Dr. Octopus brought together Vulture, Electro, Mysterio, Kraven, and Sandman to defeat Spidey. It was and is a crackling good story, with Betty Brandt and Aunt May in the clutches of Doc Ock, Spidey apparently losing his powers, cameos from every super-hero in the Marvel catalogue, and with each villain devising a unique way to beat Spider-Man. I've always thought it could be the basis of a movie, except that the films killed off Doc Ock and used the device of Peter Parker's psyche causing a temporary loss of powers. Oh, well.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • KielFan91KielFan91 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    edited April 2005
    What issue number(s) is the Sinister Six story

Edit: NEvermind i found it Annual 1. I had that one in my marvel Masterworks set. I forgot I had it.
    edited May 2005
    Now that Star Wars Episode III is out, we might as well continue keeping tabs on yet another geek-fest of a film: Spidey 3! The new news is that Topher Grace of That '70s Show has been added to the cast. The info is all over the place, but, for the record, I culled the article from a Canadian site. Here it is:

Topher Grace Added to Spider-Man 3 Cast

Posted on 05/21/05 at 2:46 PM ET
    Written By: Adam Gonshor

That '70s Show and In Good Company star Topher Grace has been added to the cast of Spider-Man 3.

Who he will be playing in the movie is still a mystery, but he will join an already stellar cast of Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.

Besides looking like each other, Grace and Maguire are actually very close friends.

The movie will not hit theatres for about two years, with a scheduled release date of May 4, 2007. Mark your 2007 calendars now.

Thomas Haden Church was also recently added to the case, and his role is also to be determined.

"Spider-Man 3 has to be bigger than 1 and 2," Marvel Studios Chairman/ CEO Avi Arad told MTV. "So storywise it's already bigger, the characters in it are already bigger. It will already be a handful to (complete it by) May 2007."

Interesting how Columbia clams up about every casting decision made (I think EON will get along with this crowd quite nicely), and that they're still quiet about who Church plays, although most sources claim he'll be The Sandman. I just hope that the series isn't going the way of the Batman films, with every movie becoming a villain rally.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,700MI6 Agent
    I've heard the same thing also HB, that the Spidey 3 villian is Sandman. I also read a quick rumor that Spiderman 3&4 will be shot togehter. But that's just a rumor.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Quoting Mr Martini:
    I've heard the same thing also HB, that the Spidey 3 villian is Sandman. I also read a quick rumor that Spiderman 3&4 will be shot togehter. But that's just a rumor.

I''ve heard this too Mr.Martini. Might I add that Thomas Hayden Church kinda resembles Carrage.....Cassidy. :)
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    edited November 2005
    Here's the first image of Thomas Hayden Church from the set of Spider-Man 3.
    For those of you who dont recognise him, THC is playing Flint Marco, aka The Sandman.
    [img=http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/2881/sandman0wp.jpg]:D You can see a larger version of this image at the official Spider-Man movie website:[/img]http://spiderman.sonypictures.com/
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    Awesome! The green striped shirt and the the flattop with a widow's peak! Man, does Sam Raimi and co. know how to please a Spidey fan or what?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited November 2005
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Awesome! The green striped shirt and the the flattop with a widow's peak! Man, does Sam Raimi and co. know how to please a Spidey fan or what?

Yep.Raimi isn't embarassed to be involved with this movie at all.Thankfully there've been no ridiculous attempts at "improving" the character's appearance.It looks like Steve Ditko was Church's barber and his tailor.Even the bone structure of the actor's face matches Ditko's unique style.An excellent choice-Church appears to have stepped out of one of the 1960s Amazing Spider-Man comic books.'Nuff said, true believers!Excelsior!
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    That's sweet! Sam Raimi has taken probably the most difficult comic to adapt into film and created IMO the most unsurpassable comic hero film franchise. I'm sure Spidy 3 is going to be no different!
  • Mewtwo3090Mewtwo3090 Posts: 72MI6 Agent
    I can't understand why they would bring the Green Goblin back, sure Harry wants to get revenge on Peter for the death of his father, but it just seems kinda odd.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    On the plus side, they could reuse any footage of the Green Goblin. Any extra footage ect. - save time and money. But then again, maybe Remi knew that if he did that, the audience would have a sense of deja vu.
    Mewtwo3090 wrote:
    I can't understand why they would bring the Green Goblin back, sure Harry wants to get revenge on Peter for the death of his father, but it just seems kinda odd.

Wasn't Harry the HobGoblin?
    In The Amazing Spider-Man (the original comic and some, like me, may say the best), Harry Osborn was the Green Goblin.
    In Ultimate Spider-Man, (which is a relaunch and is considered a new reality) Harry Osborn is the Hobgolin.
    In the movies, Harry Osborn is basically going down the same evil path as he did in the comics, but I guess it's up to Sam Raimi to decide which villain he'll turn into (if at all).
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    edited February 2006
    The new Spider-Man 3 teaser poster was just revealed over at superherohype.com
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/featuresnews.php?id=3892
    For those of you (like me) who know about the history of Spider-Man, this latest announcement should lead to a very exciting movie! Especially when you take into account the fact that Sam Raimi or Sony have not yet revealed the character's name of Topher Grace, one of the film's co-stars.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    Wow. . .not a black-and-white photo, eh? Then I guess I know what's gonna happen! :D Regardless, it's a very striking image. In fact, the poster art for all the Spidey movies has been very good.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Wow! I didn't see that one coming! This should be a sweet addition to the Spidey saga...one that I figured wouldn't be seen until about 6 films down the road and everyone from George Clooney to Johnny Depp had taken a turn playing Peter Parker.
    If the link for the above photo is in color, why is "Spiderman" wearing a black costume? Now my intrest has been piqued. I can't wait until this summer.
    Well, Mr Martini, rather than give away the origin of Spider-Man's black costume, and spoil the movie for those here at AJB who don't know the story, I'll pass you onto the appropriate section of what I've determined as THE definative Spider-Man website, samruby.com:
    http://www.samruby.com/History/history_of_spiderman4.htm
    Man, I'm seriously PUMPED to see this movie now!!!
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,750MI6 Agent
    Good innit?

There's the pic on the official site too:

http://spiderman.sonypictures.com/

Excellent! :)
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    edited February 2006
    While I love black costume Spidey- I don't like how they made it look. It should be more like the comic version, not with the webbing that is on his red and blue Spidey costume.

That being said, I'm excited to see how they will do it.
    asio wrote:
    Well, Mr Martini, rather than give away the origin of Spider-Man's black costume, and spoil the movie for those here at AJB who don't know the story, I'll pass you onto the appropriate section of what I've determined as THE definative Spider-Man website, samruby.com:
    http://www.samruby.com/History/history_of_spiderman4.htm
    Man, I'm seriously PUMPED to see this movie now!!!

Thanks asio, now I really can't wait for the movie. Is it summer yet?
    Yes, it's summer over here in Australia, but I don't think that counts.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad