Spider-Man 3

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    TonyDP wrote:
    The subplot about Marko being Uncle Ben's real killer is a head scratcher though, since it completely contradicts what happened in the first movie and kind of lessens the importance of Parker's confrontation with the thug. I wouldn't be surprised if it all turns out to be one big McGuffin (that's not a spoiler by the way, just an idea).

Well, since the cat is out of the bag, I might as well say this. A few months ago I saw some on-set pictures that showed a recreation of the location where Uncle Ben gets killed, and on set were Cliff Robertson and Thomas Haden Church. I also heard that the actor who played the "killer" in the first film did some scenes for Spidey 3. We never actually saw Uncle Ben get shot in the first film, so I think what they're doing here is showing that the "killer" had an accomplice--Flint Marko--and that he was the one who did the shooting. It doesn't sound so implausible to me, and I don't think it's a major violation of the comic book. I've made this statement before, but it's a movie, for cryin' out loud--things have to be changed a bit from the original source to the film in order to fit the demands of the new medium, to appeal to people who don't have forty years of the Sandman back story in their heads, and so on. And this is a far, far less radical change than making the Joker the murderer of Bruce Wayne's parents.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,288MI6 Agent
    Actually, I was saying that the trailer seems to negate Parker's confrontation with the thug from the first movie (a pivotal and defining moment in and of itself), not the comics. Either way, its really no big deal for me as the Spiderman movies have changed a lot of things from the books (like Parker apparently meeting Gwen Stacy after hooking up with MJ).

But I do find this apparent need to exhume the memory of Ben Parker in every movie as some catalyst for Spiderman's actions a little repetitive. It's similar with the repeated angst over Batman's parents. Although in Batman Forever and Batman Begins, he at least came to terms with the tragedy and moved on. Hopefully, the same will happen to Spiderman in part III.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Its funny, I see the events of the movies being outside the events of the comics. Such as the bridge sequence in the first movie, where it was MJ and not Gwen who was involved.

But for the movie to contradict himself, now thats gonna be wierd.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Wouldn't Aunt May have noticed two men shooting Ben as opposed to one?

Really, that disappointed me when I saw the trailer.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,288MI6 Agent
    Wouldn't Aunt May have noticed two men shooting Ben as opposed to one?

Really, that disappointed me when I saw the trailer.

As I recall, Aunt May was at home when Ben Parker got shot in the first movie.
    Oh, my bad, I was mixing up the comic and movie versions. :s Thanks for pointing that out Tony. It is still weird, I think, but it isn't completely flawed I suppose.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    The subplot about Marko being Uncle Ben's real killer is a head scratcher though, since it completely contradicts what happened in the first movie and kind of lessens the importance of Parker's confrontation with the thug. I wouldn't be surprised if it all turns out to be one big McGuffin (that's not a spoiler by the way, just an idea).
    I hope it is a McGuffin. One of the great things about the first one is that it showed that, while everything has a connection (Peter didn't stop thug who killed his uncle), much in this world is random and unexplained. We don't really know who the thug was and why he picked Uncle Ben to rob instead of someone else. But now we find out it's Sandman, which of course has to make it personal. Why does everything have to be personal? Parker's uncle was killed because... who knows? Does it matter who kiled him? Can't a super hero pursue a villain for non-personal reasons? :s

BTW, as much as I loved the first two Spider-Man films, I hope that MJ doesn't get kidnapped in this one. In fact, what I would love is for Spidey to go after the villain... because he's evil! :D Not because he kidnapped Peter's girlfriend or killed Peter's uncle. 8-)

Anyway, I can't wait. It's going to be awesome! :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Lyle Dark-008Lyle Dark-008 Posts: 64MI6 Agent
    Does anyone know if this is the final Spider-Man film?
    Not if I can help it. X-( X-( X-(
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Not if I can help it. X-( X-( X-(

I doubt it; there may be some other project down the line for Spidey. They'll probably leave the door open ala, X-3 just in case.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    edited November 2006
    And here they are, gang--the newest teaser posters!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=17652
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Sorry, HB. but I can't see them...

RogueAgent wrote:
    Sorry, HB. but I can't see them...
    Me neither. :'(
    Darn--they were there when I posted them last night! Well, I transformed the images to link--you'll be able to see them now.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Thanks HB. :) Of the two, I prefer the first one. It's more clear.
    Last night during the broadcast premiere of Spidey 2, Fox showed some clips of the upcoming #3. A lot of the clips are of the same things we've seen before, but there's also extensive new material--including a glimpse at Venom himself. I didn't catch it at the time, but thank the Good Lord for YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpnPlYWY1Dg

Enjoy!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Not really a fan of Spider Man. It's just not a character that ever resonated with me.

The only comic book character that ever really resonated with me was Wolverine, and I'm not really a big fan of the X-Men movies. The first was enjoyable, but other than that, I haven't been a fan. Although I do think that Hugh Jackman has done a great job with Wolverine.
    For those collectors of action figures out there, the first in a line of Spidey 3 toys is out. Here's Venom:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=4327

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,700MI6 Agent
    Thanks for sharing Rogue. I just wonder if Venom will look like that in the movie or if the toy company has exaggerated the look of it?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    It isn't out, RA, it is a pre-order. Ordered the Black costume Spidey- best of the bunch by far.
    edited January 2007
    Is it just me or have the figure pics been taken down?

Edit: now the figures themselves are off the site. What gives?
    Is it just me or have the figure pics been taken down?

Edit: now the figures themselves are off the site. What gives?

I have no idea what could've happened. ?:)

They probably just put them up before they were supposed to.
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    Those is probably going to be the Emo's wet dream. So much woe and wonderment, I'm almost hesitant to watch the thing. The "better" the Spider-Man movies get, the less inclined I am toward them.
    Sorry you feel that way, Agent Wade. I'm not an Emo, but personally I can't wait. And here's something to whet the appetite of fans of the Web-Head. The official site has been updated, complete with character profiles, story information, and pics--though, sadly, none of Venom. Enjoy!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Amazing. . .Spidey 3 hasn't been released yet, but accordingly Columbia is so pleased with the first cut that they've already commissioned Spidey 4. David Koepp, who wrote the first Spider-Man and is currently writing the fourth Indiana Jones movie, has been asked to do the script (which you can read about here); and Dylan Baker, who plays Dr. Connors--alias The Lizard--drops some tantalizing clues as to what could be in his character's future in this article. Heady news, but I hope this isn't putting the cart before the proverb. I remember that, after the premiere of Batman & Robin, Warner Bros. announced it would soon start work on a fifth Bat-flick, with Madonna as Harley Quinn and John Travolta as the Scarecrow. . .but once the reviews and the box office for B & R came in, that idea was pretty well shelved. (Thankfully!)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,700MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Amazing. . .Spidey 3 hasn't been released yet, but accordingly Columbia is so pleased with the first cut that they've already commissioned Spidey 4.

You almost had me there HB. I forgot I read the first line, got so excited about the second line that I just went through my DVD collection looking for Spidey 3 and getting worried I didn't have it yet. I crashed back to reality (really hard) when I remembered Spidey 3 isn't out yet. Can you tell I'm also excited about Spidey 3?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    I'd been under the impression that Raimi and Maguire were pretty firm about not extending their respective three-picture deals (or maybe I imagined the whole thing :s ). I hope I'm wrong about that, as they should all keep making these as long as they remain at their current high level of quality.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Well, Raimi for one isn't firmly against doing another Spidey film. Here's a recent article from Starpulse:

Director Sam Raimi Seriously Considers Making 'Spider-Man 4'

"Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi has hinted he and his cast might be back for a fourth and final movie because he still loves the web-slinging character. Unlike his actors, the moviemaker signed on for each of the three "Spider-Man" movies individually, and he's seriously considering a fourth film.

And Raimi feels sure that if he returns, Tobey Maguire and new leading lady Bryce Dallas Howard will too. He tells movie magazine Premiere, "I love Spider-Man and I love working with Kirsten (Dunst), Tobey, James (Franco)...I have to make sure that when I'm done with this picture (Spider-Man 3) I'm really still fascinated with the character (before signing on for another). At this moment I'm fascinated with him."

But Raimi insists he couldn't imagine making a fourth installment if Maguire didn't sign on for it. He adds, "I'd rather not... I couldn't imagine it."

I guess what it comes down to is if Raimi feels like doing it, and Maguire is willing to put on the tights again, they'll do Spidey 4. I hope so--I'd hate to think we'd be saddled with a film directed by someone with a different vision (and who maybe thinks it's time to camp it up a bit) and with an actor who's clearly embarassed to be dressed like a spider. Hmmm. Where have I encountered a movie like that before?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited January 2007
    Hardyboy wrote:
    "Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi has hinted he and his cast might be back for a fourth and final movie because he still loves the web-slinging character.
    YES!!! :D {[] HB, you have really made my day!! :D -{