The ULTIMATE bond ranking- your 1-20

Comments

• Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    TND was my first Bond movie as well, but I love it.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    His Top 10 is clearly dominated by Connery and Craig movies, while also having the Lazenby movie.

So yeah...

That's it in a nutshell, absolutely {[] I wish I could rate the Daltons higher, but one of my personal pet peeves is uneven tone (slapstick humour diffusing genuine suspense and/or excitement). LTK is a gritty revenge thriller...with a big rig doing a wheelie. TLD is a welcome return to a more dangerous, interesting Bond...but he drives his Aston Martin around on a frozen lake, still inside a garage :# At least they lost the 'flying carpet' scene, thank Christ.

And I think, on balance, I was fairly generous to Sir Roger. He breaks in at #12! ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    I have been a member here for the last six months and always enjoy reading other fans comments and perspectives on all things Bond. -{
    My very first post and way of introduction was to try and put the films in some kind of order of greatness. So I thought it would be interesting (at least for me) to see how my rankings differ from then to now. So here goes....
    1 (-) OHMSS - There is a unique feel to the film that sets it apart from the others. Brilliantly directed. The section from Bond's escape from the cable car machinery room to Tracy's capture is the perfect blend of action, stunts, amazing locations and romance all with one of the best movie soundtracks of all time.
    2 (-) CR - Still love this film. Obviously it's helpful to have Fleming's novel to draw inspiration from and I think the film makers did a fantastic job.
    3 (-) FRWL - Great film from a great novel. Connery is my favourite Bond and this is his best. Taut, tight spy film. Very much Fleming inspired. Is there a more tense scene than that train sequence in the entire Bond canon? Probably not. I still feel Grant is going to get the better of Bond (my favourite fight scene) even though I have watched it countless times.
    4 (+1) LTK - Bond goes rogue. Dalton goes serious - it suits him. Underrated villain, brilliant action sequences. Great part for Q in this film as well.
    5 (-1) GF - So many iconic scenes. Contains my favourite villain and henchman. A lot of the Bond films that followed this have drawn inspiration from it.
    6 (+1) TSWLM - Nostalgia alert! Rainy Sunday afternoons watching Bond do battle with Jaws. I love this film, from the amazing parachute jump to that Lotus to that fight with Jaws on the train (I love a train in my Bond films).
    7 (-1) SF - I like SF a lot. There are faults with the film and plot holes for sure, but Craig is excellent and there are moments of brilliance - Bond stalking and fighting Patrice in Shanghai and Bond running to save M to the poem by Tennyson. Awesome.
    8 (-) TLD - Dalton takes us back to a more serious Bond, but is not averse to sledging downhill in a cello case (love that scene by the way). This is a fine film. It lacks that memorable villain that makes Bond films so special.
    9 (+7) OP - Hold on surely some mistake, OP has jumped up seven places, really? Yep, I loved it. I probably treated it harshly because of the sometimes sillier moments but overall this is a brilliant Bond film. It's a great adventure, love the score, it looks great, great villains, interesting plot, great train sequence (love a train), the circus scene is tense and brilliantly acted. Just altogether really entertaining.
    10 (-1) DN - The granddaddy of them all. Still holds up incredibly well. Connery is effortlessly cool. Dr No is a great villain. Love it.
    11 (-) LALD - Nostalgia alert number 2! My favourite Bond film when younger, I still have a soft spot for it. Even non Bond fans know about the crocodile jump. Moore does a great job in fitting into Bond's shoes and makes a very entertaining debut film.
    12 (-2) TB - Terence Young did such a great job with these early Bond films and this one is no exception. Fiona is awesome and the film misses her when she is not in it. Over long underwater scenes? - Maybe. But it is still a great film.
    13 (+2) MR - One of my favourite novels, I shouldn't really like this film as much as I do but I just can't help it. Probably my favourite locations, awesome set designs, amazing score. It just makes me smile whenever I watch it.
    14 (-1) FYEO - Roger Moore does serious and makes a great job of it. There is lots to admire about this film. That motorbike, skiing, bobsleigh chase down the bobsleigh run is special and the mountaineering scene is brilliantly tense.
    15 (-1) GE - My favourite Brosnan film. Lots of energy to the whole film. That tank crashing through the wall. Full of great characters and action. Over the top at times - certainly, but it's great fun Bond film.
    16 (-4) YOLT - Containing possibly my favourite villains lair, that volcano is still brilliant to this day. Not as strong as Connery's first four films in my opinion, but there is lots to enjoy about this film.
    17 (+2) QOS - This film used to be a bit disappointing for me, but it is slowly creeping up my rankings. Again Craig is a big plus point. There are more layers to this film than I first thought and I enjoy it more with every re-watch. Short, sharp and fast the film travels like a bullet - unfortunately some of the action scenes are more Bourne than Bond.
    18 (-1) TND - Plenty of action in this one as well. A generic Bond film (the plot is nothing new) but there is nothing wrong with that. It's definitely a thrill ride with Brosnan putting in a great performance and looking good whilst dodging a lot of machine gunfire.
    19 (+2) AVTAK - Not as much as OP but this film is growing on me as well. Roger's age never really bothered me and his performance is more fatherly (until the end of course). I love Patrick Macnee and with both him and Roger the film oozes charm.
    20 (-3) TWINE - I feel I am a little harsh with this film but for some reason it just doesn't quite work for me. That is not to say I don't enjoy it because I do. Brosnan is as reliable as ever and Elektra is a very interesting character and well played. As with Fiona I miss her when she is not in it.
    21 (-1) TMWTGG - The first thirty minutes are as good as any Roger Moore Bond film but that second half really falls away. It's as if all the pieces were lined up brilliantly only for one to be knocked over causing everything to collapse. Still there is something great about every Bond film and for this film that happens to be Christopher Lee. Remake!!
    22 (+1) DAF - Well it's an improvement. The good thing about this film is the script, which is full of terrific one liners and always makes me chuckle. Great score as well. But oh I do miss those earlier Connery Bond films when I watch this.
    23 (-1) DAD - Being British I do like to fight for the underdog and this film usually is near the bottom of most fans lists but I can't bring myself to defend this. It is so far removed from Fleming's creation that it doesn't feel like a Bond film at all. Halle Berry is my idea of the worst Bond girl and the delivery of her lines is almost painful. I could do without all those terrible puns and sexual innuendos. Invisible car. John Cleese. Virtual reality. Good God enough. Great sword fight though. :)
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    1. TLD
    2. LTK
    3. TND
    4. DN
    5. GF
    6. GE
    7. FRWL
    8. SP (projected)
    9. QOS
    10. TMWTGG
    11. TWINE
    12. YOLT
    13. TB
    14. OHMSS
    15. FYEO
    16. OP
    17. TSWLM
    18. CR
    19. LALD
    20. AVTAK
    21. DAD
    22. DAF
    23. SF
    24. MR
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    1. TLD
    2. LTK
    3. TND
    4. DN
    5. GF
    6. GE
    7. FRWL
    8. SP (projected)
    9. QOS
    10. TMWTGG
    11. TWINE
    12. YOLT
    13. TB
    14. OHMSS
    15. FYEO
    16. OP
    17. TSWLM
    18. CR
    19. LALD
    20. AVTAK
    21. DAD
    22. DAF
    23. SF
    24. MR

Seeing TND up there is really disturbing :o
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Like Shatner said on SNL, "Get a LIFE!" :))
    chris, what's causing you to project SP to land at 8---even ahead of QoS, which I know you admire a lot?
    chris, what's causing you to project SP to land at 8---even ahead of QoS, which I know you admire a lot?
    I'm thinking Mendes will go for all out fun. Plus Monica is in it. -{
    The reviews seem to love it... hopefully WE will too.
    I think we will {[] ...and I like that you have that kind of faith in Mendes coming off his directing what you rate as the second worst Bond of the franchise :p
    chrisisall wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

You guys make for a fun duo, having such radically different views on TND.

At least you both love FRWL.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    At least you both love FRWL.
    FRWL is Holy Ground.
    I like that you have that kind of faith in Mendes coming off his directing what you rate as the second worst Bond of the franchise :p
    It was a vehicle to get rid of M... he did a great job with a terrible script IMO.
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    will be updated
    chrisisall wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

I have a great life, thank you very much...One without TND, that is. :007)
    Virgil37 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

That's jab # 762 at TND. You are persistent! ;%
    chrisisall wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

That's jab # 762 at TND. You are persistent! ;%

I guess Virgil gets a kick out of those jabs.
    As long as he's amused, I guess it's okay. :))
  • DiabolikDiabolik TexasPosts: 117MI6 Agent
    The order changes frequently, but here goes:

1) TLD
    2) YOLT
    3) LTK
    4) GF
    5) GE
    6) FRWL
    7) TB
    8) OHMSS
    9) SF
    10) DN
    11) MR
    12) TWINE
    13) FYEO
    14) TSWLM
    15) AVTAK
    16) OP
    17) TND
    18) LALD
    19) CR
    20) DAF
    21) DAD
    22) TMWTGG
    23) QOS
    1.TSWLM 2.LTK 3.YOLT 4.OHMSS 5.TWINE 6.LALD 7.MR 8.GE 9.DN 10.FRWL
    Bond: Pierce Brosnan Villain: Hugo Drax Girl: Pam Bouvier
    Diabolik wrote:
    22) TMWTGG
    23) QOS
    Two of my tops at the bottom??
    Inconthievable!
    chrisisall wrote:
    As long as he's amused, I guess it's okay. :))

They're not jabs at you, my dear friend. It genuinely puzzles me. But I will keep it to myself from now on, I promise. :)) Until someone says how great TND is and I have to jump.... :D
    Virgil37 wrote:
    But I will keep it to myself from now on, I promise. :))
    Oh don't, not on my account! :)
    One day you might see the light & enjoy TND as the OTT Bond adventure with a cool corporate social media commentary that it is...
    until then- have at it my friend! :v
    chrisisall wrote:
    Diabolik wrote:
    22) TMWTGG
    23) QOS
    Inconthievable!
    I find TMWTGG alternates between dull and obnoxious. I can't stand Nick Nack, Christopher Lee (one of my favorite actors) is so underused it should be a crime, and... then there's Sheriff J.W. Pepper, who's even more annoying this time around. The sets look cheap, Hamilton seems to be barely trying in the director's chair, and the whole feel of the film is like a B-picture you might catch at a drive-in, but without the expected nudity or gratuitous violence.

As for QOS, Marc Forster's directing just kills it for me. He's obviously trying to channel Paul Greengrass, sans the talent. All the choppy editing and in-your-face camera angles reek of such pretension that it disgusts me. The whole affair seems so desperate to be anything other than a Bond movie. Furthermore, I don't think Craig was a very good Bond in his first two outings. Dalton was able to play the tough, hard-boiled Bond without losing the inherent sense of style, coolness and sophistication. Craig, on the other hand, comes off like a blue-collar street fighter. He came into his own in Skyfall, but here it's just painful to watch. Apparently even he agrees that his first two don't have enough wit or humor in them.
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    I like that you have that kind of faith in Mendes coming off his directing what you rate as the second worst Bond of the franchise :p
    It was a vehicle to get rid of M... he did a great job with a terrible script IMO.

Skyfall does feel like a transition film so maybe we had to get through that in order to get to Spectre.
    Diabolik wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Diabolik wrote:
    22) TMWTGG
    23) QOS
    Inconthievable!
    I find TMWTGG alternates between dull and obnoxious. I can't stand Nick Nack, Christopher Lee (one of my favorite actors) is so underused it should be a crime, and... then there's Sheriff J.W. Pepper, who's even more annoying this time around. The sets look cheap, Hamilton seems to be barely trying in the director's chair, and the whole feel of the film is like a B-picture you might catch at a drive-in, but without the expected nudity or gratuitous violence.

As for QOS, Marc Forster's directing just kills it for me. He's obviously trying to channel Paul Greengrass, sans the talent. All the choppy editing and in-your-face camera angles reek of such pretension that it disgusts me. The whole affair seems so desperate to be anything other than a Bond movie. Furthermore,I don't think Craig was a very good Bond in his first two outings. Dalton was able to play the tough, hard-boiled Bond without losing the inherent sense of style, coolness and sophistication. Craig, on the other hand, comes off like a blue-collar street fighter. He came into his own in Skyfall, but here it's just painful to watch. Apparently even he agrees that his first two don't have enough wit or humor in them.

Nice to see that we agree on Craig's debut performance not being all that great (I do think he was quite good in QoS though).

On Skyfall, I think he had his moments, and did a bit better than on CR, but I feel he somewhat returned to the dryness he showed in CR.

I hope he cuts down on the dryness for SP, but this is just me throwing in my 2 cents.
    Diabolik wrote:

1) TLD
    2) YOLT
    3) LTK
    4) GF
    5) GE
    6) FRWL
    7) TB
    8) OHMSS
    9) SF
    10) DN
    11) MR
    12) TWINE
    13) FYEO
    14) TSWLM
    15) AVTAK
    16) OP
    17) TND
    18) LALD
    19) CR
    20) DAF
    21) DAD
    22) TMWTGG
    23) QOS

I notice that you're not a big RM fan, is he your least fave Bond?
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Diabolik wrote:
    I find TMWTGG alternates between dull and obnoxious.  I can't stand Nick Nack, Christopher Lee (one of my favorite actors) is so underused it should be a crime, and... then there's Sheriff J.W. Pepper, who's even more annoying this time around.  The sets look cheap, Hamilton seems to be barely trying in the director's chair, and the whole feel of the film is like a B-picture you might catch at a drive-in, but without the expected nudity or gratuitous violence.

I really like TMWTGG but do find myself agreeing with your points (minus Scaramanga). The jump between the "B-picture" and TSWLM is very evident - as mentioned as a bit of a cinema last chance for the character by CoolHandBond in the Pros/Cons thread.

TMWTGG has redeeming features that IMO make it a bit of a classic.

I find it interesting that people rate LALD/TMWTGG differently when IMO they're very similar - odd, humour based entries into the franchise. If anything LALD is even odder because of the method of Kananga's death.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    If anything LALD is even odder because of the method of Kananga's death.
    THANK YOU!! {[]
    edited October 2015
    Nice to see that we agree on Craig's debut performance not being all that great (I do think he was quite good in QoS though).

On Skyfall, I think he had his moments, and did a bit better than on CR, but I feel he somewhat returned to the dryness he showed in CR.

I hope he cuts down on the dryness for SP, but this is just me throwing in my 2 cents.
    Hm, when I watch Skyfall I get the impression he's finally come to understand the underlying playfulness of the character, and he seems far more witty and good-humored. In a dry way, perhaps, but a far cry from the bitter, corpse-like stoicism he displays in CR and QOS. Perhaps there are subtleties in the latter I didn't pick up, distracted as I was by the lackluster direction, editing and story.
    I notice that you're not a big RM fan, is he your least fave Bond?
    I like all of the actors who play Bond, but yes, I would say he's tied with Daniel Craig as my least favorite. He had many moments of brilliance, but generally he's very inconsistent and often it's as if he were simply going through the motions. But again, I still find him entertaining, and as you'll notice, Moonraker is my favorite of his entries. Not the most popular choice, but I think its preposterous narrative and cartoonish aesthetic fit his take on the character perfectly. I also think Michael Lonsdale as the loftly, imperious Hugo Drax is the perfect foil for him.
    I find it interesting that people rate LALD/TMWTGG differently when IMO they're very similar - odd, humour based entries into the franchise. If anything LALD is even odder because of the method of Kananga's death.
    I have a bit of a soft spot for LALD because it was one of the first Bond films I ever saw, and my father is a big fan of it. I have fond memories of watching it with him as a kid. I also think Hamilton's directing is more lively than in TMWTGG and the story moves at a brisker pace.

Furthermore, I believe Roger Moore's performance is better in LALD. He plays the character more as he would in his later films, while in TMWTGG he's too meanspirited, which isn't his strongsuit as an actor. Come on, that scene where he pushes the kid into the river? Or giving Maud Adams the business while Britt Ekland waits in the closet? I often wanted to reach into the screen and backhand him across the face.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Diabolik wrote:
    Or giving Maud Adams the business while Britt Ekland waits in the closet?

"Duty!? I'm resigning in the morning!"
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Love seeing some more MR love in here