The ULTIMATE bond ranking- your 1-20

Comments

• 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    I believe every Bond movie takes an element from another. But no one mentions TWINE's similarities to GF but EVERYONE mentions AVTAK's similarities to GF. I call it unfair...

NOTE: THIS COMMENT WAS NOT SPONSORED BY THE NSA NOR INTENDED TO CREATE A NEW AVTAK ARGUMENT AND IF IT HAPPENS I DIDN'T START IT.

This is funny. Kind of like at the beginning of AVTAK when it talks about the name Zorin not representing anyone.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    True, true. You're AVTAK observations do you credit, Mr. 0064. :007)
    Well thank you, I was just up at Oxford brushing up. :))
    On a little Danish?
    ER...on a little bond.
    *cough*Tomorrow Never Dies Joke*cough*
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Bondlike wrote:
    would anyone agree that a third category is also possible--the YOLT formula, followed by Spy, Moonraker and TnD. Similar to GF formula,but not exactly the same.
    I would argue that TSWLM, MR and TND follow the GF formula. IMO there are only 2 formulas: FRWL which is more realistic, less fantastic, lower-budget. FYEO, TLD, LTK and the first half of DAD follow this formula. Then there's the bigger budget, more fantastic films that follow GF. These include TB, YOLT, TSWLM, MR and DAF.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    Yes I've always thought that TWINE is basically a GF-type plot with black gold instead of gold.

As a rule I prefer FRWL type plots but as you can see in my first post above TSWLM is one of my fabourite bonds and it is basically a GF-type. I love the bond-anya chemistry as well as the locations of the movie.

Incidentally the formula is repeated in TND which repeats TSWLM in many respects.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • kezfacekezface Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    LET ME SETTLE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL

HERE IS THE TRUE RANKING

(THE 5 BEST)
    1.spy who loved me
    2.Licence to kill
    3.Golden eye
    4.Live and let die
    5.Die another day

(THE 5 REALLY GOOD ONES)
    6.On her magestys secret service
    7.The world is not enough
    8.Moonnraker
    9.You only live twice
    10.Man with the golden gun

(AVERAGE)-ok
    11.From russia with love
    12.Living daylights
    13.Octopussy

(AVERAGE)-not ok
    14.Die another day
    15.Thunderball
    16.Goldfinger
    17.A view to a kill

I CANT WATCH
    18.Diomands are forever
    19.For your eyes only -(but this was roger moores best performance)
    20. DR NO
  • discovolantediscovolante los angeles ca usaPosts: 66MI6 Agent
    kez,

You put GF on the not good list? This movie, while not the best ever IMO, completely set the standard for all future films. Classic PTS, classic theme song, the first time Bond had all the cool gadgets, and of course the DB5. Not to mention all of the great characters...Oddjob, Goldfinger, Pussy Galore, Jill and Tilly Masterson, etc. I realize that ranking the 007 films is truly objective, but you have to give GF it,s due.
    kez,

You put GF on the not good list? This movie, while not the best ever IMO, completely set the standard for all future films. Classic PTS, classic theme song, the first time Bond had all the cool gadgets, and of course the DB5. Not to mention all of the great characters...Oddjob, Goldfinger, Pussy Galore, Jill and Tilly Masterson, etc. I realize that ranking the 007 films is truly objective, but you have to give GF it,s due.

Disco, that is an opinion. I don't care for Goldfinger either. It isn't my favorite bond, and as a matter of fact, it is like 12th on my list.
  • 00Goldeneye00Goldeneye Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    kez,

It's Number 10 on My list as okay.
  • RipperRipper ClassifiedPosts: 12MI6 Agent
    couldn't split Goldfinger/Thunderball

1 From Russia With Love
    2 Goldfinger/Thunderball
    3 Dr. No
    4 You Only Live Twice
    5 On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
    6 For Your Eyes Only
    7 The Spy Who Loved Me
    8 Licence To Kill
    9 Goldeneye
    10 Diamonds Are Forever
    11 The Living Daylights
    12 The World is Not Enough
    13 Die Another Day
    14 Live and Let Die
    15 Tomorrow Never Dies
    16 The Man With the Golden Gun
    17 A View To A Kill
    18 Octopussy
    19 Moonraker

not a Roger fan, some of his films were just rediculous
    Thats ok ripper, we are all entitled to our own opinions. I for example don't like Connery very much.
    Really? Now I didn't know that!

Here's what I have the worst and best for each actor and where it corresponds on my list.

Best:
    Connery: Goldfinger (2)
    Lazenby: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (3)
    Moore: A View to a Kill (4)
    Dalton: The Living Daylights (14)
    Brosnan: GoldenEye (1)

Worst:
    Connery: Diamonds are Forever (18)
    Lazenby: N/a
    Moore: The Man with the Golden Gun (20)
    Dalton: Licence to Kill (19)
    Brosnan: Die Another Day (21)
    Yes, JFF...I really don't like connery as a Bond, not to say that he is a bad actor, because he is very talented.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    0064 wrote:
    Yes, JFF...I really don't like connery as a Bond, not to say that he is a bad actor, because he is very talented.
    If you don't like Conery as Bond, what or who got you into Bond and why don't you like Connery?
    Don't worry, you won't be flogged in the communial square for not liking Connery. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    0064 wrote:

Please tell me that's the gin talking and not you...8-)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    That would be me talking Rogue. Another all round... {[]
    He has his opinion, like I have my opinions on AVTAK loving.

Rogue, I have to agree with you :o I also like Connery as a Bond, not my favorite (that's Brosnan) but he and Roger tie.
    edited February 2006
    Oh, I missed the part about what got me into Bond. The answer is simple, yet weird. DAD. I went and saw that movie and loved it, at the time. OK, here is my updated (yet again) 1-20:

1.Octopussy
    2.LALD
    3.Goldeneye
    4.Thunderball
    5.YOLT
    6.TSWLM
    7.OHMSS
    8.FRWL
    9.TND
    10.TLD
    11.Goldfinger
    12.FRWL
    13.Dr. No
    14.FYEO
    15.TWINE
    16.AVTAK
    17.LTK
    18.Moonraker
    19.DAF
    20.DAD

I was just watching Thunderball and realized why this is one of the best Bond movies, it is fantastic.
    That's a pretty good list... except AVTAK's at the bottom! I thought you started to like it! Oh well... I won't turn it into an argument.

It's good that you like GE though.
    edited February 2006
    Sorry JFF, your right. Got some rankings mixed up. However, I fixed them. My brain needs to start working. Oh well. ;)
  • DracolisDracolis Posts: 17MI6 Agent
    I found this quite a hard task as I like and dislike things from all of the films. I have made a rankings list, however this is not set in stone. I have put a reasons why I liked and disliked the film next to each one.
    1. ThunderBall (I liked seeing all the 00 agents together in one room - made it really feel like a big deal. It seemed like there was a lot of underwater scenes and I found this hard to engage in so my mind wandered off and I'd end up wandering what happened. I loved the Bond girl. I loved the usefulness of the underwater breathing gadget. How did 'Q' know Bond was going to get trapped in a shark pool?)
    2. Octopussy (I liked the hectic minutes ticking away with Bond trying to stop the bomb - like many of the Bond films, but with this one it felt like he was up against it. Girls galore in this one - thats gotta be good. Bond on top of a train - wicked!)
    3. Goldfinger (This has everything in which is good. Nice villain plot and characters. Great array of Bond girls. Nice car!)
    4. Live And Let Die (Scary! well not really but sex and death theme is good. Felt like an Indiana Jones film in places)
    5. The Living Daylights (One of the best intros ever and for me one of the most hum-able Bond theme tunes. Like all the explosive in the plane action part and they should bring back the music they use for that)
    6. You Only Live Twice (You get to see Blofeld at last! You get to see 'Little Nelly' in action with full rendition of 007 music - cool!)
    7. For your Eyes Only (Very sexy Bond girl and the most tense up a mountain scene I have ever seen)
    8. The Man With The Golden Gun ('I sure am boy!'over the broken bridge moment and nice kill the bad guy ending. Also the funniest end line I have ever heard from Bond)
    9. The Spy Who Loved Me (Yeh! Jaws the invincible killing machine! Stromberg the most horrible man ever. Nice Bond girl!)
    10. Tomorrow Never Dies (The first Brosnan bond film that I saw after years of wanting to see Bond again and I wasn't disappointed. I found the villian to be a bit rubbishbut good action sequences - most memorable being the bike scenes)
    11. The World Is Not Enough (Good intro. Robbie Coltrane is back and has a great last scene! One of the best looking Bad Bond girls ever is in it! The most convincing baddie in a Brosnan bond film is present.)
    12. Dr No (The first Bond film is a very good one, just lacks 'Q'. Not to keen on the main villian's last scene - was a bit lame)
    13. From Russia With Love (Would be further up except is the least watched by me of all the Bond films. Love the Red Grant train scene. I don't remember the rest - sorry)
    14. Moonraker (Oh its Jaws again! I actually liked the fact he helped Bond out at the end. One of my favourite bad guy lines which went something like 'Look after Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him'. The ending with the Bond girl was the cheesiest I have ever seen. Wasn't bothered with the space ending)
    15. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Lazenby's best Bond performance ever! It's great that he can fight but can you show it so we can see it properly? Good villian plot but still a little boring. Weird ending!)
    16. A View To A Kill (this starts off okay but then it turns into OAP Bond and not very exciting)
    17. Diamonds Are Forever (I think I actually used to like this film but now I realise how rubbish it is.)
    18. License To Kill (not sure if I like this or hate it. Don't remember much from it other than it was a revenge mission)
    19. GoldenEye (too much trying to be Bond by Brosnan in an un-bond like film. Its okay though)
    20. Die Another Day (nice beginning change with Bond being tortured but it all goes straight downhill after that with some crap acting and ludicrous magic tricks like an invisible car. What next, an invisible Bond?)
    Though I don't agree with all fo your rankings, I must say that you have done an excellent job on ranking them. This is one of the best posts of this sort I have seen.
    Three people I know are anti-Goldeneye, I believe I've killed two of them...
    Three people I know are anti-Goldeneye, I believe I've killed two of them...

Yeah, but who is the third. :D
  • 007isgood007isgood Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    1.Golden Eye
    2.Octopussy
    3.For Your Eyes Only
    4.The Spy Who loved Me
    5.The Living Daylights
    6.Goldfinger
    7.On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    8.The World Is Not Enoough
    9.From Russia with Love
    10.Thunderball
    11.Dr.No
    12.Licence to Kill
    13.Live and Let Die
    14.Die Another Day
    15.Tomorrow Never Dies
    16.You Only Live Twice
    17.A View to A Kill
    18.Moonraker
    19.Diamonds are Forever
    20.The Man With The Golden Gun
    Though I don't agree with AVTAK's placement on your list, I'm glad to see someone who's favorite Bond adventure is Goldeneye!
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    1.Goldfinger(great baddy and plot)
    2.Dr No(Bond's first outing and it's just great.)
    3.For Your Eyes Only(I just love the mountain stuff John Glen is probably my fav director.)
    4.OHMSS(it just has so many great scenes.)
    5.Thunderball(Great plot, great score,great film.)
    And so on.