Batman Begins

Secret Agent ManSecret Agent Man Posts: 39MI6 Agent
edited June 2005 in Off Topic Chat
I'm surprise that there hasn't been a topic on this...but the new Batman movie comes out next week! :D

Comments

• jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    edited June 2005
    yeah! it looks really good, and thats what a lot of critics are saying. i cant wait. you should rename the topic batman begins, and have this be the official thread.

these photos look awesome...
    http://www2.warnerbros.com/batmanbegins/photogallery.html
  • Secret Agent ManSecret Agent Man Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    I'll do that jamesbondagent007!
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Wehay! And we are friends with the people who choreographed the fight sequences...heh :)
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    This is one summer movie that I'm really looking forward to seeing on the big screen. It has been a while since the last Batman movie. And just look at the cast: Bale, Freeman, Neeson, Katie Holmes, and of course, I really like Nolan as a director. Can't wait.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Mr. Moviefone gave his review on the radio: Everything was really great... except for Katie Holmes.

This makes me cry. I LOVE Katie Holmes, and I'm sure I'll like her in the movie no matter what Mr. Moviefone says.
    I wouldn't think we need a new topic for every new movie coming out. :) There should really be a topic that would handle all these new films.

But this isn't just any movie...this is the next Batman movie! :)
    Why is it that they never make a Bond movie with his regular grey suit, and one that isn't rubber? He wouldn't look like Adam West if he was muscular, and you could still have a rubber mask and cape. What about it, for the next Bond movie?
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    edited June 2005
    Why is it that they never make a Bond movie with his regular grey suit, and one that isn't rubber? He wouldn't look like Adam West if he was muscular, and you could still have a rubber mask and cape. What about it, for the next Bond movie?

I think you're getting your genres a bit mixed up there, Nightshooter. Shouldn't we read "Batman" in place of "Bond?" Or are you suggesting that 007 should start wearing a rubber tux? Might work if Bond needs to go undercover in an S & M club. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    edited June 2005
    I am very excited about this upcoming Batman flick. I liked Tim Burton's movies and I know I'll like Christopher Nolan's movies. He did a great job with Insomnia and I've heard good things about Momento. It has some of my favorite actors including Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman.

I have only 3 complaints about the film.

1. They are not using Danny Elfman's theme from the Tim Burton movies. It is great and is instantly recognizable to most Batman fans.

2. The batmobile looks gay! No offense to those who like the new look, but I hate it. It looks like a tank.

3. Katie Holmes is in it. I never liked her. Even before this new thing she has going on with Tom Cruise I still didn't like her. They could have found a better love interest for Bruce Wayne IMO.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    edited June 2005
    yodboy007 wrote:
    I am very excited about this upcoming Batman flick. I liked Tim Burton's movies and I know I'll like Christopher Nolan's movies. He did a great job with Insomnia and I've heard good things about Momento. It has some of my favorite actors including Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman.

1. They are not using Danny Elfman's theme from the Tim Burton movies. It is great and is instantly recognizable to most Batman fans.

2. The batmobile looks gay! No offense to those who like the new look, but I hate it. It looks like a tank.

3. Katie Holmes is in it. I never liked her. Even before this new thing she has going on with Tom Cruise I still didn't like her. They could have found a better love interest for Bruce Wayne IMO.

I too am very excited about the new Batman. But I have a few things to say. First, go rent Memento. It's an awesome movie. watch it twice, trust me :D.
    First about Danny Elfmans theme. I love that theme. I haven't heard the new theme yet, maybe it'll fit the personalty of the film.
    Second, I don't think it's called the batmobile. I belive it's called something else.
    Lastly, Katie Holmes is most likely put there to attract the young audience.
    But I still can't wait for this Batman. after the stinker of a fourth movie this will be a nice start to a new franchise.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    I had nothing against Katie Holmes (who I always thought was a major cutie) until recently. Geeze, MUST she and Tom Cruise gush about how much they're in wuv with each other on every single media outlet in the known world?! It's gotten to a point where it's turning me off to both Batman Begins and War of the Worlds. Get a room you two--and shut up!!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Somehow I don't feel that Katie Holmes is in a league with Kim Basinger, Michelle Pfeiffer or Nicole Kidman... And this 'relationship thingy' IS really overdone. Talk about struggling celebrity couples craving foe coverage... 8-)

But apart from that, I'll definately check this out purely for the musical experience if nothing else. :D
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I had nothing against Katie Holmes (who I always thought was a major cutie) until recently. Geeze, MUST she and Tom Cruise gush about how much they're in wuv with each other on every single media outlet in the known world?! It's gotten to a point where it's turning me off to both Batman Begins and War of the Worlds. Get a room you two--and shut up!!
    Was just reading another vomit inducing article a little while ago and thinking the exact same thing.

"I come running whenever he calls." Pass the barf bucket!
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Well apparently 68% of the US public think it's a publicity stunt. This is like the third time Tom has hooked up with a starlet wanting to boost her US career - hmmm.... ;)

I have tried to be enthused about the new Batman film; but everything I've seen or heard about it has left me confused. What is it about, exactly? Is it about Bruce Wayne becoming Batman? Is it about him being trained? Is about Batman vs Ras Al Ghul? Or against the Scarecrow? Or both? Where does Morgan Freeman fit in? And Liam Neeson? Rather than get me excited, I keep thinking this may be a case of kitchen sink cinema. I'm hoping for the best, but right now it does nothing for me.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    I have tried to be enthused about the new Batman film; but everything I've seen or heard about it has left me confused. What is it about, exactly? Is it about Bruce Wayne becoming Batman? Is it about him being trained? Is about Batman vs Ras Al Ghul? Or against the Scarecrow? Or both? Where does Morgan Freeman fit in? And Liam Neeson? Rather than get me excited, I keep thinking this may be a case of kitchen sink cinema. I'm hoping for the best, but right now it does nothing for me.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't figure out the point to this film... I was a little afraid to post something similar in case I got lynched by the Batfans, but seriously, I just don't get it? The trailers I've seen don't excite me nor stir any interest. It just seems to lack something, which I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps it's the "cool" factor, which Spidey stole a few years ago and isn't quite ready to give up.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't figure out the point to this film... I was a little afraid to post something similar in case I got lynched by the Batfans, but seriously, I just don't get it? The trailers I've seen don't excite me nor stir any interest. It just seems to lack something, which I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps it's the "cool" factor, which Spidey stole a few years ago and isn't quite ready to give up.

From what I've heard about the film, it's about how Bruce Wayne became Batman. It shows his parents murder and Bruce going to get training (Liam Neeson). He's being trained so he can rid Gotham of the bad people (Ah Rhul Ghal (sp?), Scarecrow). Morgran Freeman plays the gadget guy, from what I've been told. Gary Sinise plays a young Commisner Gordon, acctually he's not Commisner yet. And as for Ah Rhul and Scarecrow, I don't know there plot, guess I have to see the movie for that.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • RobinsonRobinson Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    Gary Sinise plays a young Commisner Gordon, acctually he's not Commisner yet.

In the graphic novel of Batman:Year One from which the screenplay partially comes from, Gordon gets as much storytime as what Bruce Wayne/Batman does. It works so well because its really the story of 2 individuals with very different lives and very different approaches to fighting crime. And as the story develops they gradually build up a respect for one another and finally form an alliance against the petty crooks, villians and worst of all corrupt policeman.
    edited June 2005
    From what I understand, this is how all the villains fit into the story--I've used the spoiler feature so no one can say I ruined it for them!
    Apparently, years after his parents' murders, Bruce goes to an unnamed eastern country to "find" himself, and he's arrested for some reason or other. He gets bailed out by Liam Neeson, who offers to teach him the deadly arts he will later use as Batman. By the time Bruce's training is finished, it is revealed that Neeson is the right-hand man of Rais al-Ghul, who wants Bruce to join his evil society. Bruce rejects this, becoming al-Ghul's enemy. He then returns to Gotham to become Batman, and of course finds out that the Scarecrow is working in league with Rai al-Ghul.

As for non-spoiler stuff, Morgan Freeman plays Lucius Fox, a character I know from the animated Batman series. He's a technical wizard who worked for Wayne Enterprises and who somehow or other finds himself disgraced and banished. Bruce calls upon him to build the batmobile, his armor, and gadgets--making him, in effect, Batman's Q.

Anyway, the advance word on the film has been good--Roger Ebert says that it's the first Batman film to get Batman right--and I really enjoyed Nolan's Momento and Insomnia, so I'm interested to see what he'll do with the Bat.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited June 2005
    Hardyboy wrote:

I think you're getting your genres a bit mixed up there, Nightshooter. Shouldn't we read "Batman" in place of "Bond?" Or are you suggesting that 007 should start wearing a rubber tux? Might work if Bond needs to go undercover in an S & M club. . .

Oops. I should've previewed that post. Well, you knew what I meant.

As for the movie... IGN says it is really good. I can't wait. Bond and Batman: my two idols.

As for Lucius Fox... I hope Bruce doesn;t have him build the Batmobile. Lucius should NOT know Bruce's identity. Usually, in the comics, Batman just steals stuff from Wayne Enterprises.
    Hey, I don't think anyone mentioned this before, but guess who the costume designer? I'll give you a hint: I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce Wayne dressed like Pierce Brosnan. Figured it out? Lindy Hemming!
    Mr Martini wrote:
    yodboy007 wrote:

I too am very excited about the new Batman. But I have a few things to say. First, go rent Memento. It's an awesome movie. watch it twice, trust me :D.
    First about Danny Elfmans theme. I love that theme. I haven't heard the new theme yet, maybe it'll fit the personalty of the film.
    Second, I don't think it's called the batmobile. I belive it's called something else.
    Lastly, Katie Holmes is most likely put there to attract the young audience.
    But I still can't wait for this Batman. after the stinker of a fourth movie this will be a nice start to a new franchise.

Your right Mr.Martini its not the batmobile its the Tumbler and everyone don't start calling him Tankman! :p
    Hey, Katie Holmes is great!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    Well, I offered to post my review in last film saw thread a week ago and got no response!

Here's my imdb review:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0372784/usercomments?start=35

It's the one at the very first of the comments index, entitled Batman Bores!

About 7 out of 93 liked the review! Which is putting it diplomatically!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited June 2005
    For Moonie and jetset, this review provides quite a useful overview of the plot as well as singing the picture's praises (which most reviewers seem to be doing). As a Batman fan (i.e. one of those sad individuals who enjoys the graphic novels) I was pretty excited by the choice of Christopher Nolan as director (a brave choice on the part of Warner Bros) and the trailers certainly led me to think that finally, finally we would have a proper adaptation of the best comic book character of them all.

I've watched the movie progress and was immediately interested in hearing that it would be largely based on the epic Year One. Perhaps, I thought, after the creative missteps thus far, a real Dark Knight would be put on screen - serious, violent, realistic, and dealing with the undoubtedly psychologically flawed character of Batman. In this respect, Batman Begins appears to have been an unqualified success, having been described as "The most Freudian comic-strip movie in history." Nolan, having helmed Memento and Insomnia, is patently adept at dealing with this side of the character, a side that was pretty much ignored in the previous films. Of the previous live-action movies (Mask of Phantasm and Return of the Joker are still the best movies so far in my opinion) Burton's 1989 film was the best and did at least attempt to show the disturbed nature of Batman, even though it was not 100% faithful to the comics. Batman Returns, while enjoyable (and with the delicious Michelle Pfeiffer on top form), did get the Penguin horiffically wrong and Burton did push the whole Gothic, bile-spewing half-man/half-monster idea far too far. The less said about the bloody awful Schumacher films, which did so much to damage Batman as a character, the better.

On Thursday I'll attend a late night screening of the film and cannot wait, and only then will I find out if my (perhaps too high) hopes for this film are materialised. Generally it seems to be viewed as the best Batman film, with some reviewers suggesting that it may be the best comic-book movie ever. Yes, Spider-Man 2 does currently hold that title, however Batman is a better character and it is about time that DC got its own back on Marvel. On the basis of one review I think my hopes may be realised, "And now a simple appraisal for the fanboys: Darkity-darkity dark-dark-dark! Happy now? You should be!" :D
    It will only be the best comic book movie when someone makes it R rated and makes it about "The Long Halloween."
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    I didn't know where else to post this, put I thought it would be interesting to see what the marketing geniuses at Marvel came up with in comparison to the Batman Begins campaign.

Although he's the ugliest, it seems ol' Ben is also the randiest :P

[img=http://people.freenet.de/dceresourses/movie-blog/fantastic-four/8.jpg]Although his left hand is fixed in the new ads, we still have to wonder what exactly is causing Johnny to "flame on":[/img]fantastic_four_poster.jpg
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

Oops. I should've previewed that post. Well, you knew what I meant.

As for the movie... IGN says it is really good. I can't wait. Bond and Batman: my two idols.

As for Lucius Fox... I hope Bruce doesn;t have him build the Batmobile. Lucius should NOT know Bruce's identity. Usually, in the comics, Batman just steals stuff from Wayne Enterprises.

I agree with you 100% about the suit. This rubber 'body armour' thing really bugs me because it is so obvious the actor can't really move in it very freely. This was particularly obvious in Batman Returns, where Michael Keaton's movements were all really stiff & uncomfortable.

Spidey has shown that lycra outfits can work in live action movies!

Not sure about the prospect of Bond in a gimp suit though... ;)
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited June 2005
    Well, I offered to post my review in last film saw thread a week ago and got no response!

Here's my imdb review:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0372784/usercomments?start=35

It's the one at the very first of the comments index, entitled Batman Bores!

About 7 out of 93 liked the review! Which is putting it diplomatically!

Hehe, guess you're not too popular with the Batman fanboys. :D

What is with Bale's accent? I've heard it in the trailers and it's seems to be that typical sketchy monotone that Brit actors usually give when they're talking Uhmerican. Blech.

I'd be more excited about this film if:

a) Nolan didn't say that everything about the film comes from his idea for the new hideous batmobile

b) There was any villain that interested me

c) The previous ones didn't already use up all my good will

d) My disbelief that it would be better than any of the very good animated series for Batman

d) The idea of young Batman being gooey eyed over the Dawson Creek chick didn't make me ill.

e) I wasn't already burned by critic and fanboy hype for the new Star Wars which was OK but nothing great and filled with some horrendous acting and dialogue which seemed to get a free ride because it's Lucas and we should expect that.

MBE
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    The villain is a big problem for this film, it took me a while to figure out it was (maybe) The Scarecrow, who I thought deserved more of a central outing than this... there are other villains knocking around... who distract you.

Mind you, it's good to see Gotham in daylight, even if it doesn't look too original - all chrome and gleaming metal.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Can someone tell me what is wrong with Katie Holmes? Is she NOT hot?