Batman Begins

191011121315»

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Here's some interesting news about Aaron Eckhart's take on Harvey Dent, courtesy IGN:
    I can't wait to see the film. I probably should stop reading spoilers; the problem is however that I can't resist. :#
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    I'm really tensed up to see Ledger made up as Joker. Pics probably won't leak out unti mid summer if we're lucky.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    I'm reeeeaaallly looking forward to this one :) Nolan's take on Bats in BB has given me confidence that Heath Ledger will be just fine as the Joker...

...Plus, TDK and Iron Man will help kill time until Bond #22!
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited March 2007
    Here's an interview with Eckhart through About.com.:

Aaron Eckhart Talks About Joining "The Dark Knight"
    From Rebecca Murray,
    Your Guide to Hollywood Movies.

Exclusive Interview with Eckhart on the Next "Batman" Movie
    Aaron Eckhart was recently nominated for an Independent Spirit Award for his work in the indie film, Thank You for Smoking, but it's Eckhart's upcoming film project that's really generating a lot of talk. Eckhart is ready to play villain Harvey Dent, aka Two Face, in the next Batman movie, The Dark Knight. Eckhart joins returning Batman cast members Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman, as well as another newcomer to the Batman universe, Oscar-nominated actor Heath Ledger who's on board to play Batman baddie - The Joker.
    On the red carpet at the premiere of Warner Bros Pictures' action epic 300, Eckhart wasn't ready to give away anything about his character Harvey Dent or the script. Eckhart's not sure what is a secret and what's not a secret, and didn't even want to confirm exactly when filming's expected to begin.

Is the opportunity to work with Christopher Nolan what appeals to you about working on The Dark Knight? Is that the reason you signed on?
    "It's certainly one of them. It's a huge, huge, deal. I love his work. I think he and his brother just wrote a firecracker of a script. And the cast - everything is first-class. The series, I'm looking forward to working on. Batman Begins, everything is just top notch."

Were you a fan of Batman Begins?
    "Yeah, absolutely."

Did you go back and read any of the Batman comics in order to get into this character?
    "I'm doing my research. I don't want to be a complete idiot when I get to the set (laughing)."

Does that mean you weren't a comic book fan to begin with?
    "Let me see...I don't know that I have any comic books."

So you didn't read any as a kid?
    "Well, let me see. I grew up watching Batman when I came home from school - the Kabaam! and Kaboom! and Robin and all that sort of stuff. Other than that, I just kind of read other books."

Do you approach playing a character based on a comic book any differently than you'd approach any other character?
    "No, not at all, because you're a human being and three-dimensional with thoughts. That's the key, I think, is to make him as human as possible because that way the audience completely forgets that they're watching anything but just the story unfolding in front of them. Even like tonight, watching this movie... I mean, they're not going to be cartoon characters. They're going to be real people with thoughts and feelings and emotions."

Is there going being a lot of special effects and make-up effects with your character?
    "I think there will be a certain amount of that..."

Have you done that type of work before?
    "Not to this extent, for sure. No. I'm looking forward to it."

And working with Christian Bale and everyone who has already done a Batman movie together?
    "I'm looking forward to it. I'm very excited about working with him and Heath Ledger and Gary Oldman, and everybody. That's something I think about a lot."

What else are you working on?
    "I've got a movie coming out next year called No Reservations which is a little love story. And then I have a movie...Alan Ball directed his first movie and so that's going to come out. I did three movies last year, I'll do Batman this year, and then see what happens next year."

You're really changing up the genres.
    "Yeah. I like to do comedy, romance, and you know a little bit of drama. It's definitely putting a lot of things in the pot and keeping it interesting for me so I can be challenged by what I'm doing all the time."

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    And now it looks official--according to this site, Rachel Dawes will be played by a better actress (if not a better-looking woman) than Katie Holmes:

The Dark Knight: Maggie Gyllenhaal joins cast
    Jake's sister replaces Scientology recruit

Posted: Friday, March 9th 2007 07:03 PM PST
    By Johnny Firecloud, Crave Head Writer

Maggie Gyllenhaal has been cast as the new Rachel Dawes in the sequel to 2005’s Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight. She replaces Katie Holmes, who dropped out of the project earlier this year to focus on her Scientology homework and trying not to look taller than her husband.

Christian Bale, considered by many to be the only actor since Michael Keaton to do justice to the role, will return as the Caped Crusader. Morgan Freeman, Machael Caine and Gary Oldman return as well. New players include Aaron Eckhart, recently cast as Harvey Dent/Two-Face, and Heath Ledger as the Joker, stepping into an intimidating space filled with eerie conviction by Jack Nicholson in 1989’s Batman.

Nolan is set to start filming The Dark Knight in May, with a tentative July 18, 2008 release date.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Morgan Freeman, Machael Caine and Gary Oldman return as well. ]

This makes me happy. I enjoyed Morgan as Lucius Fox. I'm glad he's returning
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    The Dark Knight: Maggie Gyllenhaal joins cast
    i]

:x :x :x

maggie-gyllenhaal.jpg

But she'll never be mine. :'( :))

Seriously though, sad though I am that the once promising Katie Holmes has been turned into a pod person by the alien tyrant TC, I am a very happy bunny with this casting. B-)
    Maggie Gyllenhaal?...ugh. :#

Perhaps she can outact Holmes, not sure about her prowess, but IMO comes up short on looks. A walking cartoon character... 8-)

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I'm with RA on this one. MG is not an attractive woman.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I'm with RA on this one. MG is not an attractive woman.

Katie Holmes just brings too much baggage with her these days which unfortunately draws attention away from whatever project she may be attached to. BB fell victim to that to a certain extent and I'm sure the producers do not want a repeat.

I'm not really familiar with Gyllenhal's work but in that picture she sort of reminds me of the new Priestess of Scientology. Still, I don't think Rachel was ever meant to be a supermodel; and I have a gut feeling she will suffer an unpleasant fate by the time the movie is over.
    edited March 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    Still, I don't think Rachel was ever meant to be a supermodel; and I have a gut feeling she will suffer an unpleasant fate by the time the movie is over.

Give me the name of your occulist, Tony. If what you say is in the neighborhood of being accurate, then this is the face I'd prefer it happened to.

I don't expect Dawes to look like she stepped off of a Victoria's Secret catalogue cover but I do like sufficient "eye candy"; M.G. just isn't it. ;)

As far as her resemblance to some priestess you mentioned, sorry but I'm not up on that particular type of religion and it's goings-on. Sounds more and more "Jim Jones" the more I hear. :))

edited March 2007
    I see a little resemblance in the smile I guess; I'll admit it's a bit of a stretch.

And just to be clear Rogue, I don't have any inside info on BB. No spoilers here, just a feeling. I felt Rachel's arc was pretty well explored and done by the end of BB and I don't know what else she can bring to the story - other than a tragic way for Bruce to further embrace his Batman persona or an obstacle Dent must get thru (deliberately or otherwise) to become DA.

BTW, Amazon.com finally got in a hardcover edition of DC: The New Frontier ... for almost $50. Since I can't find the trades anywhere and the HC retails for $75 I bit the bullet and ordered it. It should arrive during the week.
    TonyDP wrote:
    Just to be clear Rogue, I don't have any inside info on BB. No spoilers here, just a feeling. I felt Rachel's arc was pretty well explored and done by the end of BB and I don't know what else she can bring to the story - other than a tragic way for Bruce to further embrace his Batman persona or an obstacle Dent must get thru (deliberately or otherwise) to become DA.

Maybe you don't have an inside track but I'll admit that you and W.G. come up with some pretty good scenarios. I could actually see that working on the Dent angle.

Try writing something and sending it in. B-)

edited March 2007
    This excerpt was taken from an article interview with Nolan from The London Paper. If it's just rehash, please excuse me reposting it.

After talking to us briefly about his forthcoming Batman Begins sequel The Dark Knight (“It’s going to be very exciting – we’re doing things on a really grand scale this time. And Heath Ledger as the Joker is going to be extraordinary”)

I hope to share his excitement for this upcoming follow-up. I'm still a little concerned about The Joker part though...

You can read the whole interview here:

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Satellite/london/dvds/article/1157146664377?packedargs=suffix%3DArticleController

edited March 2007
    I had major issues with Batman's cowl with its ill proportion to how it looked on Bale's head. I see that there is a change coming...hopefully good. I just hope that they don't pull a Clooney here with flamboyant imagery. He started out with a cool look only to end up in something...I dunno how to describe it...:#

From AICN.com:

The Dark Knight Costume Spoiler?

Both Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan have seen a new Batsuit & there's been a fitting.

I told this person how I didn't particularly dig the suit in Batman Begins and said it was too bulky. To this he/she replied, "Well then you'll love the new one." He/she also stated that Bats changes his suit halfway through the film - and its a major plotpoint as to the how and why this happens.

He/she sadly, had no news about the Joker's get up.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31822

edited March 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I just hope that they don't pull a Clooney here with flamboyant imagery. He started out with a cool look only to end up in something...I dunno how to describe it...:#

That's what happens when a toy company dictates what the costumes should look like. Rogue, sometimes the only way to overcome your worst fears is to confront them head-on. Behold...

ClooneyBatman-760960.jpg

As for Bale's new suit, I don't mind the rubber (as long as it's black); I just hope they give me the yellow oval on the chest and longer ears.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Grey! Why is there never a comic accurate grey costume? Bale is muscular enough to pull it off. PLEASE????
    Grey! Why is there never a comic accurate grey costume? Bale is muscular enough to pull it off. PLEASE????

I've been wanting that for years now. :(

RogueAgent wrote:

I've been wanting that for years now. :(

If they were going to go that route, maybe they might use something like the fabric for Superman's costume in Superman Returns. That seemed to be a good compromise between a rubber suit and plain cloth. If they did the costume with that material, and in a dark grey of course, it might look interesting.
    The rumor mill is a-grinding again! This time, Cinematical and other sites have said that Sarah Michelle Gellar may have gotten a part in The Dark Knight, and their best guess is that SMG would be playing. . .Harley Quinn!

Personally, I think it would be great to have the character in the film, and certainly Ms. Gellar could deliver the requisite sexy/goofy qualities Harley needs. I'd like to see it!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    The rumor mill is a-grinding again! This time, Cinematical and other sites have said that Sarah Michelle Gellar may have gotten a part in The Dark Knight, and their best guess is that SMG would be playing. . .Harley Quinn!

Personally, I think it would be great to have the character in the film, and certainly Ms. Gellar could deliver the requisite sexy/goofy qualities Harley needs. I'd like to see it!

Brilliant. Harley's such a great character and Gellar would be perfect. I am really looking forward to this movie. Everything seems to be falling into place. :)
    Hardyboy wrote:

I'm having a hard time reconciling Nolan's rather dark vision of Batman with a character as daffy as Harley Quinn. Still, if the character is in the film and if she's anything like her animated and four color counterparts, then Gellar could definitely pull it off. Who knows, maybe they'll use her as a counterbalance to the Joker, which Heath Ledger suggests will be very dark and disturbing.
    As long as the meter doesn't start leaning towards camp with Nolan's reputable, darker vision then SMG would be a great selection.

TonyDP wrote:
    Who knows, maybe they'll use her as a counterbalance to the Joker, which Heath Ledger suggests will be very dark and disturbing.

Sort of like this?

Bless that Alex Ross!  Anyway, remember it hasn't been confirmed that SMG will be in the movie, and it's only speculation that she'd be Harley Quinn.  Still, what a wonderful speculation it is!
    Vox clamantis in deserto