Favorite British comedies

Comments

• Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    edited December 2005
    Just for some fun I think I will list all the British Comedy Series that I can remember at this moment.

Hancock's Half Hour
    Steptoe & Son
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Nearest And Dearest
    Dad's Army
    Monty Python's Flying Circus
    Fawlty Towers
    Ripping Yarns
    Please Sir
    On The Buses
    Father Dear Father
    Love Thy Neighbour
    Bless This House
    Never Mind The Quality Feel The Width
    The Liver Birds
    The Likely Lads
    Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?
    Are You Being Served?
    Sykes
    Last Of The Summer Wine
    Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em
    Man About The House
    Robins Nest
    George & Mildred
    The Goodies
    The Good Life
    Rising Damp
    The Fall & Rise Of Reginald Perrin
    It 'Aint Half Hot Mum
    Porridge
    Going Straight
    Open All Hours
    Clarence
    Butterflies
    Not The Nine O' Clock News
    Only Fools And Horses
    Keeping Up Appearances
    Yes Minister
    Yes Prime Minister
    Hi-De-Hi
    Allo Allo
    Ever Decreasing Circles
    Sorry
    Dear John
    The Young Ones
    The Comic Strip Presents
    Bottom
    Blackadder
    Mister Bean
    The Thin Blue Line
    Red Dwarf
    The Brittas Empire
    The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy
    Father Ted
    Men Behaving Badly
    Dinnerladies
    Absolutely Fabulous
    Waiting For God
    Rab C Nesbitt
    My Hero
    The Vicar Of Dibley
    As Time Goes By
    The Office
    Little Britain

Hmmm, not all that many. No doubt I will be kicking myself when I am reminded of those which I have currently forgotten.

Well, now that I have given myself more time to search the old memory banks I am kicking myself for forgetting one or two of the British Comedy series which are featured in the list below.

One Foot In The Grave. I don't believe it! How could I have forgotten Victor Meldrew?

Only When I Laugh. I'm h-a-p-p-y, I'm h-a-p-p-y, I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm h-a-p-p-y. One of my favourite's. Hospital comedy starring Richard Wilson, James Bolam and Peter Bowles.

Never The Twain. Another favourite of mine in which Donald Sinden and Windsor Davies are antique dealers.

Tom, Dick & Harriet. I principally remember this one because of a stunt that wen't badly wrong. Ian Ogilvy and Lionel Jeffries were in a car which ended up at the bottom of a river. Fortunately, Ogilvy and Jeffries escaped before they were drowned.

My Wife Next Door
    Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggitt
    The Other One
    The Cuckoo Waltz
    Home James
    To The Manor Born
    Just Good Friends
    Whoops Apocalypse
    Don't Wait Up
    Home To Roost
    Goodnight Sweetheart
    The Detectives
    The Royle Family
    Gimme Gimme Gimme
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Nobody mentioned "So Haunt Me"? Or was that considered...lame?
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    so haunt me limped along for a while but was never well liked in the uk...yet strangely you are the third american i know to have mentioned the show...for all time worst sitcom i would have to go for constant hot water with the late pat phoenix and nsna starrer prunella gee...phoenixs post corrie big comeback was so awful one reviewer at the time called it as funny as anthrax
    For comedy fans in the UK. You may be interested to know that Channel 4 is broadcasting Who Killed The British Sitcom? at 9pm this evening (Monday). It's about the rise and fall of the British situation comedy.
    For comedy fans in the UK. You may be interested to know that Channel 4 is broadcasting Who Killed The British Sitcom? at 9pm this evening (Monday). It's about the rise and fall of the British situation comedy.

Really? In your opinion, is that a true assessment that Brit-Sits are really dead?

RogueAgent wrote:
    Really? In your opinion, is that a true assessment that Brit-Sits are really dead?

Here's a stat that may interest you. In 1984 British terrestrial TV commissioned approx 60 situation comedies. In 2004 only seven were commissioned. So, while the situation comedy is not actually dead, it's not that far off, in my opinion.

The preview in my newspaper states that British comedy hasn't got worse - rather, it has spread out into other genres, largely leaving the traditional sitcom format behind. It also mentions the competition from the US sitcoms saying that they have kept their sitcoms going much more effectively thanks to their formidably sharp writers. However, even US comedy is now heading into post-sitcom territory, with shows such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development and My Name Is Earl. It seems the US sitcom, too, is dying.
    Cable not-withstanding, just how many regular channels are available to British television? Reason why I asked was in an earlier post there was mentioned ITV properties as well as BBC's.

Are there specific target nights for comedies to air there just as here to try and capture the largest audiences?

• VampiressRNVampiressRN CaliforniaPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    USA Cable Options. OK...the USA has been cutting back on situation comedies for year...that is a given. There are two issues that are are making this change...ONE = the "really" good situational comedies aimed at the adult audience are on stations that typically require a higher monthly cable charge...and TWO = "Reality" shows have taken over in the USA. However, at this point in time, most Americans are fed up with the reality shows, but the stations are milking them for all they can until the next sensation comes along.

We were very lucky to have great shows like "Laugh In", "Saturday Night Live", "In Living Color" to offset the boring sitcoms we had. About the only ones in recent years that really held the American audience was "Seinfield" and "Frasier" on regular cable.

Sure there might be an audience for some of the sitcoms now days, but it is not huge. There is more interest in crime shows such as "CSI" and "Law & Order" etc. with adults. The kids of today in the USA are busy playing on the Internet and Gaming to watch the rediculous stuff on TV. If TV in America wants to survive future genrations, they are going to have to do something interactive.

Well...just an opinion from a Yank here. :)
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    edited January 2006
    All of my favourites have already been mentioned but for the record they are ... not in any particular order:

1) Fawlty Towers
    2) The Thin Blue Line
    3) Phoenix Nights ( especially the episode when
    they have the fun day - brilliant)
    4) Only Fools and Horses
    5) The Office

Honourable mention to Porridge and To The Manor Born.

I think Extras may get in this list later on in life ... its a grower.

As much as I love all the above, my absolute favourite comedy of all time is American and thats 'Frasier' - genius. ( though I think its quite British in its humour - very dry)
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Cable not-withstanding, just how many regular channels are available to British television? Reason why I asked was in an earlier post there was mentioned ITV properties as well as BBC's.

Are there specific target nights for comedies to air there just as here to try and capture the largest audiences?

We have 5 main terrestrial channels ....

BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and the baby of the the group Channel 5.

They all have their fair share of sit coms but the most successful over the years have generally been on BBC1 but then The Office was only ever shown on BBC2 and 'Father Ted' was a Channel 4 baby.

Now with cable/digital there are numerous channels, ITV 2 & 3, BBC3 & 4, E4 and many many others so there is usually something running at some time. I did see Rising Damp again recently but I cant remember which channel it was.

As for scheduling, it seems to depend on their audience ... Last Of the Summer Wine, early Sunday evening for the older folks but they are generally on through the week. Someone else will have to fill you in with specifics I'm afraid though Channel 4 do tend to put the big American ones on on a Friday evening.
  • chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    All of my favourites have already been mentioned but for the record they are ... not in any particular order:

1) Fawlty Towers
    2) The Thin Blue Line
    4) Only Fools and Horses
    5) The Office

As much as I love all the above, my absolute favourite comedy of all time is American and thats 'Frasier' - genius. ( though I think its quite British in its humour - very dry)
    RogueAgent wrote:

They all have their fair share of sit coms but the most successful over the years have generally been on BBC1 but then The Office was only ever shown on BBC2 and 'Father Ted' was a Channel 4 baby.

Now with cable/digital there are numerous channels, ITV 2 & 3, BBC3 & 4, E4 and many many others so there is usually something running at some time. I did see Rising Damp again recently but I cant remember which channel it was.

As for scheduling, it seems to depend on their audience ... Last Of the Summer Wine, early Sunday evening for the older folks but they are generally on through the week. Someone else will have to fill you in with specifics I'm afraid though Channel 4 do tend to put the big American ones on on a Friday evening.

If you have sky tv you can watch comedies all day on channel UKGold
    Lady Rose wrote:

1) Fawlty Towers
    2) The Thin Blue Line
    4) Only Fools and Horses
    5) The Office

RogueAgent wrote:

If you have sky tv you can watch comedies all day on channel UKGold

Thank you, both for explaining that to me...:)

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    My knowledge of British comedies is quite dated and sparse, but here are my favorites:

Monty Python's Flying Circus - This is almost like a universal language. People everywhere know the material, and it can become an instant icebreaker. I was in Finland a few weeks ago, found out that a Finnish client of mine was a fan, muttered "Japanese Sage Derby" to her, and off to the races we went naming cheeses. We then moved on to the dead parrot and other classics.

Absolutely Fabulous - Just that. Rarely have I guffawed as loud or as often as I have at the antics of Edwina Monsoon and Patsy. Jennifer Saunders is truly a great talent, IMO.

The Goon Show - This was basically my introduction to British comedy, through some old reel-to-reel tapes a friend sent me when I was a teenager in the late 1970s. An old 1950s live radio sketch show, featuring Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and Harry Seacombe. Very non-PC, the content would never fly today. Sellers did so many different roles, it was easy in hindsight to see how he did Dr. Strangelove so well. Behind the scenes must have been interesting -- Milligan was certifiably nuts, and Sellers had major issues as well. The studio atmosphere must have been tumultuous, to say the least. Ah, but from such cauldrons genius is born...
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    The Mighty Boosh - great and surreal

The Day Today - Chris Morris at his best!

I'm Alan Partridge - Ahaa!

The Office - A true modern classic.
    Also, is there anywhere that I can find an Onslow cup or t-shirt from Keeping Up Appearances? He was the highlight for me on that show :)

Englanders, you would know...

• CorsicanaCorsicana Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    In no particular order...

Blackadder (Blackadder 2 is the best for me)

Dad's Army

Yes (Prime) Minister (Funny, witty and slightly disturbing all at once)

Spaced

Only Fools and Horses (Although it gets repeated to death)

Fawlty Towers

Father Ted

Are You Being Served?

Red Dwarf (Is it a sitcom?)

League of Gentlemen (Sort of a sitcom)

I can't think of any more right now...
    Corsicana wrote:
    In no particular order...

Blackadder (Blackadder 2 is the best for me)

Dad's Army

Yes (Prime) Minister (Funny, witty and slightly disturbing all at once)

Spaced

Only Fools and Horses (Although it gets repeated to death)

Fawlty Towers

Father Ted

Are You Being Served?

Red Dwarf (Is it a sitcom?)

League of Gentlemen (Sort of a sitcom)

I can't think of any more right now...

Welcome to the boards, Corsicana...:)

Just saw Black Adder last night for the first time....HOW BRILLIANT IS THAT SHOW!!! It was hysterical. I really love Rowan Atkins, what a comedic genius.
    Just saw Black Adder last night for the first time....HOW BRILLIANT IS THAT SHOW!!! It was hysterical. I really love Rowan Atkins, what a comedic genius.

After all this time you just now are seeing BlackAdder? And you're an Atkinson fan, Vampiress?

Report to detention...immediately. :)

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:

After all this time you just now are seeing BlackAdder? And you're an Atkinson fan, Vampiress?

Report to detention...immediately. :)

Which series was it? They get better as they go along with Blackadder Goes Forth being my personal favourite.
    Series??? LOL

Vampy reporting to detention garbed in all black leather, spiked heels, knuckle rings, glock -locked & loaded, coiled bull-whip hanging from belt-clip, i-pod playing best of Bond, cigarette at corner of lips, flask of vodka martinis, and an attitude. Bring on the discipline. -{
    edited January 2006
    Series??? LOL

Vampy reporting to detention garbed in all black leather, spiked heels, knuckle rings, glock -locked & loaded, coiled bull-whip hanging from belt-clip, i-pod playing best of Bond, cigarette at corner of lips, flask of vodka martinis, and an attitude. Bring on the discipline. -{

Well if you continue to watch and enjoy it...you're granted clemency...:) -{

Eeeegads...I was indeed worried. Obviously that original judgement was much to harsh...and least for a dim-witted Yank...LOL

I found the little song at the end of Black Ader pretty funny....and Rowan doesn't look too bad in tights.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    One of my favorite Black Adder episodes casts Michael Finlay as a Soothsayer, with hilarious results!

Incidentally, my father was an avid AYBS viewer. I remember this classic program used to be shown on Public Access' Channel 16.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited January 2006
    Too many I suppose to mention. It should be noted though, that I simply detest Only Fools & Horses. Just never got it, and repeated WAY too much.

Here goes, in a rough order...

Fawlty Towers
    Dad's Army (Who do you think you are kidding Mr Hitler? That alone. Polite to the last! :)) )
    Allo' Allo' (British, French and German stereotypes galore)
    Blackadder (particularly Goes Forth)
    One Foot In The Grave
    Still Game (HEY, ENGLAND!! I believe you've only just recieved this BBC Scotland Glaswegian comedy in it's third series ;) )
    Father Ted
    Vicar of Dibley
    Absolutely Fabulous
    To The Manor Born
    The Office
    Terry & June
    Rab C Nesbitt
    I'm Alan Partridge
    Keeping Up Appearances

EDIT: Just realised that 3 of my top 4 comedies are based on WWII and WWI - we sure know how to laugh at our darkest hours! :D
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited January 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I could probably answer that, but as I'm British and don't fall into that call, I guess I wouldn't really know ;)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I could probably answer that, but as I'm British and don't fall into that call, I guess I wouldn't really know ;)
    Your signature is quite apt at this moment, M5. ;)
    RogueAgent wrote:

LOL! My apologies, Moonraker. Perhaps I should have broadened my spectrum of the area and said British.:))

I cannot find an Onslow tee anywhere here.

Please...don't leave me hanging, buddy..:))

edited January 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Indeed, and that's the bad news. For a start, despite being popular at the time, it wasn't a "cult" hit and didn't inspire any catchphrases or strong following for any particular character. Second, Keeping Up Appearances was last aired in the UK 11 years ago, despite repeats (like earlier this afternoon on BBC1), other than Hyacinth Bucket the others haven't remained solid in memory. And third, the BBC is notoriously miserly in terms of merchandise for its programmes. It is not a commercial organisation (state-owned), carries no adverts of any kind and does not advertise itself in the UK, so any merchandise outside BBC produced DVDs and books would be "unofficial", by novelty t-shirt companies etc. I know, they're missing a truck load of money, but that's the Beeb for you.

Since nothing like that existed at the time, it's extremely doubtful it does now. Best bet is to get an image and caption together yourself, and get one printed somewhere. :(
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,680Chief of Staff
    Still Game (HEY, ENGLAND!! I believe you've only just recieved this BBC Scotland Glaswegian comedy in it's third series ;)

Yep, we finally got to see this gem of a series last year (we did have a good chat about it at the time, M5)- but, as you rightly point out, we only started at the third series. We did get the Christmas special as well - thanks BBC - and I hope they decide to air the previous two series in England as well, as this show deserves to be a hit here too.
    YNWA 97
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Indeed, and that's the bad news. For a start, despite being popular at the time, it wasn't a "cult" hit and didn't inspire any catchphrases or strong following for any particular character. Second, Keeping Up Appearances was last aired in the UK 11 years ago, despite repeats (like earlier this afternoon on BBC1), other than Hyacinth Bucket the others haven't remained solid in memory. And third, the BBC is notoriously miserly in terms of merchandise for its programmes. It is not a commercial organisation (state-owned), carries no adverts of any kind and does not advertise itself in the UK, so any merchandise outside BBC produced DVDs and books would be "unofficial", by novelty t-shirt companies etc. I know, they're missing a truck load of money, but that's the Beeb for you.

Since nothing like that existed at the time, it's extremely doubtful it does now. Best bet is to get an image and caption together yourself, and get one printed somewhere. :(

"Oh nice!"

Thanks for the news, MR. Indeed that is not encouraging...:(