Most Underrated Bond film?

Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
My five most underrated Bonds are:

1. LTK

Dalton is very good and the makers were clearly aiming for something other than a cartoon film.

2. MR

A beautiful love interest, sexy girls, exotic locales, a practically out-of-this-world story and JAWS! It's popcorn entertainment, remember.

3. OHMSS

George Lazenby wasn't really that bad; he was just a new face to everyone and the film made a surprising change in Bond's life.

4. DAD

Like OHMSS and LTK this ventured out into new territory with its story of betrayal and capture, yet the film still retained the essential formulaic elements. Seeing Brosnan like Robinson Crusoe was quite a departure in the series.

5. TB

Rather slow-paced in the underwater scenes but plenty on the espionage factor; my favourite elements were the jet-pack and the yacht/hydrofoil.
"Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."

Comments

• Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    You forget THE most underrated Bond film of them all.

Never Say Never Again

Simply put, the most underrated Bond film that ever existed... Well, it and MR!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    3. OHMSS

George Lazenby wasn't really that bad; he was just a new face to everyone and the film made a surprising change in Bond's life.
    It depends on what you mean by underrated. OHMSS may be underrated among the general public but among hard-core fans, it is most certainly not underrated! :D
    5. TB

Rather slow-paced in the underwater scenes but plenty on the espionage factor; my favourite elements were the jet-pack and the yacht/hydrofoil.
    I would argue that most people would recognise TB for what it is (IMO): a classic. TB was, after all, the most profitble Bond film ever made if adjusted to inflation.

In terms of being underrated, I think a destinction needs to be made between films which are underrated among the general public and films which are underrated among hard-core fans.

In regards to general public, I would argue that the three most underrated films are: (in chronological order)
    1)DN (probably the least known of the 60's Connery films, more people have probably heard about FRWL, GF, TB and YOLT)
    2)OHMSS (Many people know of Lazenby as the 'Australian Bond' or the 'fifth Bond' but not many realise just what a brilliant film OHMSS really was)
    3)FYEO (among Moore films, most people would have heard of LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR and OP but not as many people would be aware of the brilliance of this smaller film)

Among hard-core Bond fans, I would argue that the three most underrated films are: (in chronological order)
    1)DAF (yes, it wasn't as good as Connery's 60's films but I would still argue that it was one of the greatest Bond films ever made)
    2)LALD (perhaps it isn't underrated, but I still get the sense that some hard-core fans don't give it the recognition which IMO it deserves; one of the very best Bond films of the 70's)
    3)TMWTGG (terrible in so many ways, but at least it's better than AVTAK and DAD. Plus it's got some really good things going for it such as Christopher Lee, Bond's ruthlessness and Nick Nack)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    DAD is underrated, too. Its not all CGI in it, there's some really good acting. The villain, for one, is not one-dimensional - he is a general who genuinely wants his country to become the next superpower, and wants his father to be proud of him. Compare that villain to most Moore villains.

Also, DAD is, more or less, Fleming's MR brought to the screen, even if it isn't called like that - there even was talk of Agent Brandt to appear, but the character changed so much it became Miranda Frost.

Anyway, I will state again THE most underrated Bond film of them all:

Never Say Never Again.

Period.
    edited May 2006
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    DAD is underrated, too. Its not all CGI in it, there's some really good acting. The villain, for one, is not one-dimensional - he is a general who genuinely wants his country to become the next superpower, and wants his father to be proud of him. Compare that villain to most Moore villains.
    DAD underrated? :o What part of it is underrated? The terrible script, the horrible CGI, the horrific music, the shocking villlain and Bond girl? :D You're right that the villain is a little less one-dimensional than some of Moore's villains. But give me Mr. Big, Scaramanga, Stromberg, Drax, Zorin and any of the villains in FYEO and OP over Graves any time! :p With all due respect to fans of DAD, I seriously consider Graves to be the worst Bond villain of all time. ;)
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    Anyway, I will state again THE most underrated Bond film of them all:

Never Say Never Again.

Period.
    The only reason that NSNA has not been brought up as an underrated film, is that in order for it to be underrated, it must have some merit. ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist. :p)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    NSNA has many merits, that are simply ignored because Cubby didn't make it. Thats right. It ain't an EON Bond film, so it ain't a Bond film at all? WRONG (think Luthor).

Anyway, NSNA has the best Bond, two of the best villains EVER, good plot, great dialogue, excellent, tight direction and overall it is a very entertaining film, DESPITE its terrible score and lack of EON templates (gunbarrel, title sequence).

Overall, to this day, NSNA remains THE most underrated James Bond movie of all time.
    edited May 2006
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    NSNA has many merits, that are simply ignored because Cubby didn't make it. Thats right. It ain't an EON Bond film, so it ain't a Bond film at all? WRONG (think Luthor).

Anyway, NSNA has the best Bond, two of the best villains EVER, good plot, great dialogue, excellent, tight direction and overall it is a very entertaining film, DESPITE its terrible score and lack of EON templates (gunbarrel, title sequence).

Overall, to this day, NSNA remains THE most underrated James Bond movie of all time.
    I'm happy you like it (if only every Bond film had as passionate a supporter :D ) but I can assure you the reason I don't like it has nothing to do with it being a non-EON film. I don't like it because IMO it's a terrible film.

Plus what does Luthor have to do with anything? ?:)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Hey Jimmy Bond, did you pick up your EON-ised cut of NSNA? How did you find the rest of it?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I am expecting the gift sometime soon, Napoleon. He DID sent me a copy, but it was broken dvd - probably the result of a bad post delivery.

Believe me, I will respond to it as soon as I can.

Now, I want to answer to Dan...
    Dan Same wrote:
    Jimmy Bond wrote:

I'm happy you like it (if only every Bond film had as passionate a supporter :D ) but I can assure you the reason I don't like it has nothing to do with it being a non-EON film. I don't like it because IMO it's a terrible film.

Plus what does Luthor have to do with anything? ?:)

NSNA is a great return to the Bond of the old... A down-to-Earth Bond that delivers. I remember I watched Bonds in order, and after FYEO, I saw this - and believe me, after I saw OP, I felt NSNA was a much truer "sequel" to FEYO (although I clasify it as a prequel, myself, as should anyone), in matters of reality and suspence. I just felt I was a thriller, whereas with OP I was watching a action-meets-comedy-meets-parody-meets-adventure. NSNA was really, a truer Bond movie. And I really feel many of the official entries (most Moore films) are honestly worser than NSNA. It has, simply, class.

And TWINE... Yeah, I also noticed the backlash it receives. Lately, I've seen people to like TND over it, which is plain weird, because it makes no sense. TWINE is a Bond movie with the right aspects (even the Fleminigian-silly name, Dr. Christmas Jones) and Brosnan in his best ever performance as Bond.

TB is DENINETELY overrated... While Connery is perfect, the rest... Doesn't leave up to its premise. Its big, but its shallow. Not a really great Bond film...
    I saw most of TWINE the other night, it's my fave Brosnan but it does seem a bit downbeat and even depressing. Good dialogue and intelligent stuff, however many of the actors have downbeat, slightly dull delivery - Brosnan, Marceau and Carlyle, with a proliferation of dodgy accents and TV faces. Compared to Kill Bill Vol 1 it all seems a bit laborious but it is a real movie, whereas imo the other three just aren't somehow.

Yes, I can see NSNA as a sequel to FYEO, they both retread past accent a fair bit. Someone said it worked best as a belated sequel to Dr No, as if all those films in between hadn't happened.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I also heard of the "belated sequel" to DR. NO, because it fits with that film's style. NSNA is different as DR. NO is from the rest of the films, so maybe thats it.

I'm glad you agree with me, Napoleon, because I really feel FYEO and NSNA share more with each other than OP does. Bond's wits and physical prowress are the focus of both films, and both actors give absolutely great performances as Bond (although Moore in OP was equally good, I think). Chronologically, though, I set NSNA before FEYO because of the Blofeld PTS in FYEO, and because of M's absence (leave the door open to believe that NSNA's M was on leave, OR rather, was ready to leave the service, behind the curtain-style). Makes perfect sense, still.
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    Jimmy Bond wrote:

I am sorry, but I do not even consider NSNA a Bond film, just a terrible spy clip Sean Connery acted in.
    Because it was not made by EON?

Its not an EON Bond film, but it is a Bond film, per se. The main character IS James Bond, and nobody can deny that.
    edited May 2006
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    NSNA is a great return to the Bond of the old... A down-to-Earth Bond that delivers. I remember I watched Bonds in order, and after FYEO, I saw this - and believe me, after I saw OP, I felt NSNA was a much truer "sequel" to FEYO (although I clasify it as a prequel, myself, as should anyone), in matters of reality and suspence. I just felt I was a thriller, whereas with OP I was watching a action-meets-comedy-meets-parody-meets-adventure. NSNA was really, a truer Bond movie. And I really feel many of the official entries (most Moore films) are honestly worser than NSNA. It has, simply, class.
    I don't agree with you about OP. I think that was a great Bond film and one of the most underrated Bond films of all time. However in regards to NSNA, I would have to say that I think it is a really dreadful film. The only thing about it that I like is Connery, and I consider his performance in NSNA to be his worst ever performance as Bond.
    (Oh, and Klaus Maria Brandauer was pretty good as well but I much prefer Adolfo Celi)

Jimmy Bond wrote:
    Because it was not made by EON?

Its not an EON Bond film, but it is a Bond film, per se. The main character IS James Bond, and nobody can deny that.
    True, it's a Bond film, but that doesn't mean we (I) need to acknowledge it. Plus, it's an unofficial film and I personally have no desire to consider it an official film.

Plus, you didn't answer my question: What does Luthor (who?) have to do with this discussion?
    Haven't you seen the recent Superman Returns trailer, where Luthor screams "WRONG!"? I say wrong on your thesis on NSNA the same way.

NSNA is a great Bond film. Certainly (I'm convinced, totally) its better than many Moore flicks, and MUCH better than, the otherwise good Bond film, OP.

Brandauer's performance is the best villain performance in all Bonds because the actor actually approached the character as a psycho, a businessman bent on making more money... One of Kershner's strengths as a director, is that he can give weight to the characters that he directs, and Brandauer can certainly benefit from that. His is a complex performance, a nuance act that is only surpassed by Gert Frobe's Goldfinger, the archetypical Bond villain - still the best - and Sanchez, whose devotion to loyalty gives him a sympathetic angle, despite himself. How can anyone prefer Adolfo Celi has always alluded me - he's a one-dimensional villain, at best, smart at times, but not really that threatening. I'm not fond of him.

And I wouldn't say OP is underrated... Certainly not, amongst the fans, no. And I do like the film, at all times. My thinking is this should've been Moore's last (how ideal would it have been, Connery and Moore finishing their Bond at the same year, leaving a newcomer to arrive in 1985? Ideal, really), because Moore so good, and the film is very Moore-esque. But I won't prefer it over NSNA. Not in any way...
    Are you American Jimmy? They seem to like NSNA more than Brits, it has a US flavour (or flavor).

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited May 2006
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    Haven't you seen the recent Superman Returns trailer, where Luthor screams "WRONG!"? I say wrong on your thesis on NSNA the same way.
    But I'm not wrong. You may disagree with me, which is fine, but there's no right or wrong in this. It's all a matter of opinion.
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    NSNA is a great Bond film. Certainly (I'm convinced, totally) its better than many Moore flicks, and MUCH better than, the otherwise good Bond film, OP.
    That's your opinion. Personally I consider NSNA to be the 5th worst Bond film of all time (excluding 54's and 67's 's CR).
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    Brandauer's performance is the best villain performance in all Bonds because the actor actually approached the character as a psycho, a businessman bent on making more money... One of Kershner's strengths as a director, is that he can give weight to the characters that he directs, and Brandauer can certainly benefit from that. His is a complex performance, a nuance act that is only surpassed by Gert Frobe's Goldfinger, the archetypical Bond villain - still the best - and Sanchez, whose devotion to loyalty gives him a sympathetic angle, despite himself. How can anyone prefer Adolfo Celi has always alluded me - he's a one-dimensional villain, at best, smart at times, but not really that threatening. I'm not fond of him.
    Three things: First, I don't consider Brandauer's villain performance to be the best (far from it) as I didn't find him threatening enough. I want a villain to be be truly dangerous, and I wan unconvinced by Brandauer.

Second, I agree about Goldfinger being the best, but I disagree about Sanchez. To me, he was just a drug dealer, and among drug dealers I have always preffered Kananga. (Drug dealers are generally IMO a very un-Bondian villain. The reason is that I think they're a little bland, except for Kananga whom IMO was a great villain.)

Third, the reason why I consider Celi to be a much better villain is because to me he WAS threatening. He was an outrageous villain (eye patch, sharks), he was enormously threatening yet he was realistic. That is, I was convinced that someone like him could exist.
    Napoleon, I am Greek. Something else ENTIRELY. So what?
    edited May 2006
    benskelly wrote:
    NSNA does NOT have an American flavor or flavour - it just tastes like crap.
    :)) Good one. :D (I completely agree BTW, I am simply amused by the way you said it.)
    You know what I like? The way this thread proves, beyond a doubt, how underrated NSNA really is.

Seriously, how can it be all that bad?
    Chill out my transatlantic friends, I meant no offense.

NSNA did better in the US markets than in Europe. The US elements are in how it looks like an early Arnie movie in some ways (the opening anticipates Commando), the lampooning of the British, the US sounding score which might sound less awful to some Americans yes I suppose I'm treading a fine line, here.

I am slightly mystified about Jimmy's love for NSNA, though interested in his McClory DVD. I guess it's like JFF and AVTAK, or Red Grant and DAD.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited May 2006
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    You know what I like? The way this thread proves, beyond a doubt, how underrated NSNA really is.

Seriously, how can it be all that bad?
    Truthfully, in all seriousness, it's not as bad a film as we might claim. Among Bond films, I preferred it to LTK, DAD, TLD and AVTAK (excluding the two versions of CR). There are also numerous non-Bond film which I dislike far more than NSNA. (Among these are Predator 2, Dune and Dancer in the Dark.) That said, I do think it is a terrible film. I just don't think it's the worst film ever made. And, like Napoleon, I am slightly mystified as to how you can love NSNA and prefer it to TB, a film which I personally consider to be the third greatest Bond film ever made.
    I am slightly mystified about Jimmy's love for NSNA, though interested in his McClory DVD. I guess it's like JFF and AVTAK, or Red Grant and DAD.
    Is it strange that I want a re-edited NSNA? As I said, I missed the gunbarel, title sequence and occasional Bond theme as much as anyone - but a film should not be judged for it could not possibly afford to have. The above were FORBIDDEN to have, even in a similar/alternative form. Blofeld's Cat has taken the above and inserted them, so it should be an interesting experience. Because, frankly, the only thing that is so bad as its reputation, is the score - pretty much awful, with the occasional nice hearing moments. I hope I will like the re-edit, because the original as is - although I do admit its not the best Bond ever.

However, it IS better than TB, for the fact that the story plays out more realistically and on the whole acts like a thriller in the FRWL-FYEO vain, whereas TB was action sequence for action sequence. Really, TB is a nice Bond film, with Connery in his last golden performance for 18 years, and GREAT music. But NSNA wins out because it feels like a much more realistic, gritty thriller. Like Bond of the old.

Maybe I am, indeed, like Red Grant on DAD (which, BTW, IS a nice film, too).

And Dan Same... Why don't you like Dalton and his films? I don't understand that - LTK, in specific, is clearly a Brosnan Bond film, with more violence and a wee bit more seriousness in it. We get an introspective Bond, like in all of Dalton and Brosnan's films (maybe thats why I adore them so much...).

I honestly believe that from 1987 to 2002, with one exception, Bond films have been in an all time high. A Bond who uses more his wits and physical prowress than his gadgets (a thread which harmed the Moore Bonds, immensly), and storylines that are realistic and gives chances for character development.

Like NSNA! :) But, seriously, how can they all be bad?
    edited May 2006
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    However, it IS better than TB, for the fact that the story plays out more realistically and on the whole acts like a thriller in the FRWL-FYEO vain, whereas TB was action sequence for action sequence. Really, TB is a nice Bond film, with Connery in his last golden performance for 18 years, and GREAT music. But NSNA wins out because it feels like a much more realistic, gritty thriller. Like Bond of the old.
    No, that's simply your opinion. I would say that TB is a million times better than NSNA. To me, TB is more of a realistic, gritty thriller. In fact I consider TB to be the third best Bond film of all time. Additionally, I consider Connery's performance in TB to be his last great performance for 6 years (until DAF). Jimmy, when will you understand that these comments about NSNA being better than TB is JUST your opinion just is it is my opinion that TB is better than NSNA? :s

Jimmy Bond wrote:
    And Dan Same... Why don't you like Dalton and his films? I don't understand that - LTK, in specific, is clearly a Brosnan Bond film, with more violence and a wee bit more seriousness in it. We get an introspective Bond, like in all of Dalton and Brosnan's films (maybe thats why I adore them so much...).
    Because, unlike you, I do not consider Brosnan and Dalton to be similar Bonds. I consider them to be totally different. To me, Dalton was completely ruthless, overly intense, non-humerous, non-suave and a bland sour-puss. Brosnan, whom I would compare to Connery, was IMO a ruthless, suave, gentlemanly killer. I don't think Dalton and Brosnan are alike at all, and in fact Brosnan is my second favourite Bond while Dalton is my second least favourite Bond. (Dalton would probably be 5th on my list as Lazenby is only below him due to him having done just one film. Unlike Lazenby, I don't think that Dalton had any redeeming features at all.) It is true that several of Brosnan's films were introspective but I think they are completely different to the Dalton films due to Brosnan realising that while Bond is a killer, he is also a gentleman.

You mentioned LTK. I would have loved for Brosnan (or Connery, or even Moore) to do LTK as I consider Dalton to be the major reason why LTK was IMO a really bad film. I therefore do not consider LTK to be a Brosnan film, but rather a Dalton film. I'll tell you a LTK-type film which I do consider to be a Brosnan film: FRWL. I think that most of the Connery films and several of the Moore films could be considered Brosnan films, if one included the lead performance as a consideration. However, if one includes the lead performance as a consideration, then I don't think either of the Dalton films could be considered Brosnan films, as I don't think that Dalton and Brosnan were anything alike.
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    I honestly believe that from 1987 to 2002, with one exception, Bond films have been in an all time high. A Bond who uses more his wits and physical prowress than his gadgets (a thread which harmed the Moore Bonds, immensly), and storylines that are realistic and gives chances for character development.
    I don't agree. With the possible exception of MR, I do not consider the Moore films to have been overly reliant on gadgets. Therefore, I do not consider the Moore films to have been 'immensly harmed' by this.
  • Royale KingRoyale King Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    IMO The most underated bond movie is OHMSS basically beacause it was lazenby in his one and only bond movie - OHMSS is a classic but the audience probably struggle watching it because the not used lazenby as bond and they'll probably think he was fired and that the movie was crap
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    Like NSNA! :) But, seriously, how can they all be bad?

Sean Connery jogging in his underwear... 'nuff said.
    I was referring to Dan Same, about how can all the Bonds he mentions as inferior to NSNA be bad, The Cat. In fact, most of them are better than NSNA, IMO.

And seriously, wasn't Connery excellent in NSNA, throughout? I thought he gave his best performance for 18 years, and thought he was very involving and convincing, despite his age.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    And seriously, wasn't Connery excellent in NSNA, throughout? I thought he gave his best performance for 18 years, and thought he was very involving and convincing, despite his age.

Let me restate that... Sean Connery is jogging in his UNDERWEAR and he fights bad guys with his URINE. Even one of these scenes would be a killer, but putting them together in the same movie with the worst butchered score of all times results in an incredible handicap nobody could work down.
    I wasn't having a go at you Jimmy, just saying I was interested in the Blofeld's cat re-edit, that's all.

Your enthusiasm for the Brosnan films and FYEO does, however, explain to me your liking for NSNA. In my view, these films are rather drier and saltier than the fresh flavour of the 60s and 70s films. John Glen had a drier style, less of a light tough, and the same with Spottiswoode for TND, and Tamorahi. And NSNA falls into that category, too. It's a different style of film.

Also, the Brosnan films had an emphasis on slightly arch references to Bond's trappings ie the vodka martini et al, which NSNA has a fair bit of, it's a bit self-conscious.

Also, while NSNA breaks no real new ground in terms of action, you can say the same of the likes of TND. There's the same cloudy sunshine locations, and the sense that although they're playing it straight, it's not at all believable, thanks to some truly daft scenes (the urine in the face - how would that blind someone?) and the car plunging into a crowded shopping centre and not exploding or killing any passer-by (TND) for instance.

Compared to Pryce, Bean and lacklustre Brosnan villains, Max Largo in NSNA is both menacing and plausible.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I see the 80's and 90's Bond films (With OP, AVTAK and TND as the exceptions) to be a return to the reality-based Bond. Although coupled with the ourageouness and wild stunts and stuff, these movies are realistic thrillers, at heart. I don't know if they're dry or what - but they are truer Fleming Bonds in my opinion. Which is acceptable for anyone to dismiss. Sorry if I was patronizing some times, I am not.

Still, NSNA is not without its flaws - the lack of good score, a signature score like for the rest of the films, the editing being somewhat lacking in places, and the climax of the final battle being very dissapointing - one thing TB surpasses NSNA is this, the climax. Although I love the ending with the wink wink on the camera (007!). Also, several scenes that might've explained the action better, are cut (I ain't talking of Blofeld, I'm glad that scene was cut). I rate this film as an equal to FYEO.

Napoleon, why don't you edit your favorite Bond films? What is you opinion on FYEO, NSNA and the Dalton/Brosnan films?
    Well very many fans do rate the 80s Bonds ahead of their 70s counterparts, so it's a matter of taste. I think that's less the case on this forum, as I feel some of the mods and movers and shakers grew up with Moore's larger than life films... the FROSTY, Lady Rose, M5, MBE, Hardyboy brigade...

Will get back to you on reediting stuff...

Roger Moore 1927-2017