Most Underrated Bond film?

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    (the urine in the face - how would that blind someone?)
    It wouldn't. However it would provide a fair amount of motivation for the villain in question to cease fighting. ;)

and the car plunging into a crowded shopping centre and not exploding or killing any passer-by (TND) for instance.
    That's not so uncommon. In Blues Brothers, for instance, Jake and Elwood Blues drive their car at enormous speeds in crowded public spaces, and yet nobody gets hurt. :D I think you'll find that this is a common feature of many action films. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    In the meantime, here are some amusing pros and cons:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0086006/board/nest/37100325
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    Napoleon, why don't you edit your favorite Bond films? What is you opinion on FYEO, NSNA and the Dalton/Brosnan films?

Well, FYEO could do with some rejigging. The pts is great, but I'd change the music (all the music in the film actually) so it's done with Barry's heavy theme from the cable car scene in MR or something like that. Then take out the naff dialogue between Bond and Blofeld, instead insert flashbacks from YOLT or OHMSS, even more appropriately.

Otherwise, well, I'd cut down the stuff with Bibi trying to seduce Bond, it's awful. Overall, I do find the villain a bit weak and the Bond girl a bit bland, and there's little I can do about that.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    Hey, I found Kristatos a great villain. Unlike the ones before him, much less larger-than-life, yet still believeably threatening and villainous. He was a good Bond villain, for me.

What I mean with my quote above, is why won't you show the rankings of your favorite Bond films. You can see my favorite Bond films, on my left.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    IMO - NSNA blows. The worst femme fatale of all time and I really believed it was Sean Connery on the motorcycle.

Most underrated movie IMO is LTK. I really enjoyed it. Thought Dalton and Lowell made a good pairing, playing off of each other just right.
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    TMWTGG is not as bad as people say! I do not know why people do not like it. It features Christopher Lee as Scaramanga, which is cool,that guy from FANTASY ISLAND... "Da plane, Da plane!" as Nick Nack, an awesome showdown of the clash of 2 titans.. "My Golden Gun against your Walther PPK."! Also the sheriff is not that bad! COME ON!
    TMWTGG blows. One of the worst Bond movies, EVER!
    edited May 2006
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    I have to respond to this. TMWTGG is IMO one of the most disappointing Bond films of all time, a major reason for that being that I think it could have been one of the all-time greats. Nonetheless I think it has 5 things going for it: (In no specific order)

1)Christopher Lee as Scaramanga. One of the best villains played by a terrific actor.
    2)Nick Nack. I don't know why, I just love him.
    3)The sexual hedonism; sleeping with one woman while another was in the closet. Politically incorrect but pure Bond.
    4)The bitch-slap
    5)The concept. Although the execution was poor, the idea of a master assassin going up against a master spy is IMO a fantastic concept that, if executed well, could have led to a brilliant film.

Nonetheless, apart from those 5 things, the film was IMO extremely poorly executed with the campy/ridiculous tone being the major culprit. However, I would still much rather watch TMWTGG than MR, NSNA, LTK, DAD, TLD or AVTAK.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Jimmy Bond wrote:

It is not as bad as your beloved NSNA! (NOW THAT BLOWS) -{
    You're right. ITS MILLION TIMES worse.

Only Christopher Lee and that slapping scene count in this movie as worth. TMWTGG is a wreck. If the series was ever close to dying, right out, it was with this entry.
    NSNA is much worse, do not be dumb! ;)
    Dumb? I ain't dumb... What, whoever likes NSNA is dumb, nowadays?

I have watched all Bond films more than 10 times, each. And I remain convinced, to this day, that NSNA is much better than its reputation.

Oh, and TMWTGG is bad. Stinking bad. Period.
    edited May 2006
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    I have watched all Bond films more than 10 times, each. And I remain convinced, to this day, that NSNA is much better than its reputation.

That's your opinion. It does not matter how many times you watched the films as it is simply your opinion that NSNA is much better than its reputation. Oh, and I would say that the description "bad. Stinking bad. Period." is best reserved for NSNA, not TMWTGG.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    1. DN- I really do not understand why this movie isn't a consensus top-3 or top-5 movie. This film is an epitome of Bond in novel and film. This one is ranked #2, in my book.

2. TLD- This one is generally liked by Bond fans, but in my book, it is one of the very best and, in my opinion, does the best job of portraying the character of James Bond on film.

3. LTK- Not traditionally popular among Bond fans, but a great, risky film. This is a great portrayal of Fleming's Bond, and the relationship between Bond and Bouvier is terrific.

4. TWINE- Another one of the very best Bond films. It isn't given nearly enough praise for being as Fleming-esque as it is. It is a terrific mix of the fun we have come to expect with Bond films with exploration of Bond's character. Terrific, terrific film.

5. TND- This one is generally regarded as one of the worst, and I've never understood why. It is perhaps a bit heavy on the action, but there is still a good dose of character exploration as well. The plot is intelligent, and Carver is, in my book, among the best Bond villains.
    Dan Same wrote:
    Jimmy Bond wrote:

That's your opinion. It does not matter how many times you watched the films as it is simply your opinion that NSNA is much better than its reputation. Oh, and I would say that the description "bad. Stinking bad. Period." is best reserved for NSNA, not TMWTGG.

Theres no point on feuding more about NSNA, Jimmy, at this point... at least on this topic...
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    edited June 2006
    I'm not sure this one is really underrated among hardcore Bond fans, but I think the general public may overlook "From Russia With Love" because while it does have all the little touches that make up the Bond character, it contains few if any of the cliches of the other films. Everything about it (i.e. plot, gadgets, action) is entirely plausible. I'm hoping CR follows that path.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    highhopes wrote:
    I'm not sure this one is really underrated among hardcore Bond fans, but I think the general public may overlook "From Russia With Love" because while it does have all the little touches that make up the Bond character, it contains few if any of the cliches of the other films. Everything about it (i.e. plot, gadgets, action) is entirely plausible. I'm hoping CR follows that path.

FRWL is about the last film that should be called underrated simply because it is so often cited by Bond fans and critics alike as the best Bond film ever made. This and Goldfinger are the films most often given this title.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:

FRWL is about the last film that should be called overrated simply because it is so often cited by Bond fans and critics alike as the best Bond film ever made. This and Goldfinger are the films most often given this title.

Well there you go -- My hunch about FRWL and Bond fans was right. Reaffirms my faith in their exquisitely good taste.
    I love FRWL, and I know it is never underrated, maybe overrated, but not to me I love it, still , speaking for other fans, yes people say FRWL is OVER not UNDER rated.
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Greetings, everyone.
    I am hear to praise TMWTGG...not to bury it.

What is with the animosity towards this film? With all due respect, fellow Bond fans, there is no such thing as a bad Bond film. Even the shakiest (AVTAK anyone?) is a worthy enough effort with enough thrills to stand up to any adventure film in 1985.

TMWTGG underrated? Yes!

Sure. it has some stuff I could live without (JW Pepper, for instance, and the action is not up to Bond's impeccable standards) but it has the incomparable Christopher Lee and many marvelous Bondian moments. Guy Hamilton has taken a lot of guff over the years but I prefer his stylish touches over, say, TND.

Speaking of Guy Hamilton, can we cut this guy a little slack? Goldfinger didn't just drop from the sky, you know. DAF, for all its flaws, has more panache and style than , for instance, DAD.

Which brings me to my point. The most underrated Bond flick is Live And Let Die.

Roger delivers a 007 performance that never gets enough credit. His Bond is all about a twinkle in the eye, and a ruthlessness underneath.
    In terms of villians, the rogues gallery in LALD is as fine a collection of bad-guys in the series. Bravo to Yaphet Kotto, Julius Harris and, of course, Geoffrey Holder. All in all. a superb line-up (arguably the best in Roger's era).

A few shaky moments, to be sure. but LALD has plenty of Bondian mood, style and suspense. It feels like a Bond film to me in a way that TND never did.

All hail LALD!

"Well, hello there, Jim. Relaaaaaax, Mr. Big wants to see you."
    Good point, big...! I appreciate TMWTGG more than anyone it was great! Why did people noy like it. I mean, Christopher Lee, DA PLANE DA PLANE! guy as Nick Nack, the duel... It should be underrated (I already posted it as underrated, before, I believe).
    edited June 2006
    Why did people noy like it.
    It was enormously silly and quite ridiculous. I think it could have been one of the all-time greats (I loved the idea of a master-assassin going up against a master-spy) but the light tone which permeated the entire film greatly lessened IMO what I think could have been a classic.
  • AlucardAlucard Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    The Man With The Golden Gun and A view To A Kill!They are the BEST!!!!:x:007):x
    Alucard wrote:

I love TMWTGG, but IMO, I dislike AVTAK greatly.
  • AlucardAlucard Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Alucard wrote:

Give AVTAK a chance!!!{[]
    Why? There are no redeeming qualities, other than a great villain by Christopher Walken. Like Dick Maibaoum said, "a tremendous caper".

But no, not a great film at all.
  • AcerimmerAcerimmer Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    Getting away from the NSNA flamewar and back to the original topic, I'd have to say the most underrated Bond films are:

5. TLD- following the lighthearted films of the Roger Moore era, Dalton's darker, more intense portrayal turned off some of the series' more casual fans, but I think it's the best of all 007 films, including an awesome PTS.

4. OP- One of the best of the Moore films, it's generally panned because of the Tarzan yell, the clown suit and Roger was past his prime, but it had a great Cold War plot and a good PTS.

3. FYEO- Roger's most serious turn, proving he could play the heavy when he had to.

2. OHMSS- The reasons for this one are well known.

1. LTK- Far and away the darkest Bond film, but it also gave Q a great chance to get out into the field and Robert Davi is as ruthless a villain in pursuit of his own goals as Goldfinger or Blofeld.

Both of Dalton's films(like Lazenby's one shot) tend to get overlooked by casual fans for a variety of reasons, but IMO, they're both among the very best in the series, in fact four of these movies are in my all-time top 5. {[]
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Alucard wrote:
    Alucard wrote:

Exactly! Give AVTAK a chance! It is THE most underrated Bond film and no one appreciates it and some dislike FYEO for not having a Barry score but I am in LOVE with FYEO and it's score so back off from the score. Also NSNA, I agree, has an underrated jazz song and it's (in terms of a movie) is actually better than its predecessor in my opinion just w/o a gunbarrel and a decent score. If it had both elements, people would be more friendly toward NSNA.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    ...no JFF. The score was weak, but not what made the movie weak. Let's say that the plot did that one. NSNA was a combination of cliches and events strung together without any serious explaination.

Take Valarie Leon's cameo as that oddly masculine fisherman in Nassau. Her entire character is created so that Bond could say "well, you shaid youd catch up with me later."

And if Fatima had Bond at gun point, would she really want a signed note saying she was the best? It was a cool (enough) death, but the set up to it was weak.

I dont dislike any of the films (even AVTAK) but I do dislike NSNA.
    edited June 2006
    Alucard wrote:

Exactly! Give AVTAK a chance! It is THE most underrated Bond film and no one appreciates it and some dislike FYEO for not having a Barry score but I am in LOVE with FYEO and it's score so back off from the score. Also NSNA, I agree, has an underrated jazz song and it's (in terms of a movie) is actually better than its predecessor in my opinion just w/o a gunbarrel and a decent score. If it had both elements, people would be more friendly toward NSNA.

Sorry JFF, I own every Bond movie, INCLUDING AVTAK, and I have given it a chance. I even watched it a couple times, to make sure it would not get better after repetition, so I have given it a chance, and I still dislike it.

IMO only