Terminator

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Don't think T4 would work without Arnie and i'm sure he said he wouldn't be returning. Although Stallone showed it still can be done even when your old. Rocky Balbao and Rambo 4 (eagerly awaited, by me anyway)
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Here's a piece of arcane trivia for you: I used to write articles for an Apple computer magazine called Nibble back in the 1980's; the magazine would regularly print source code listings in BASIC and assembly langauge for programs that you could enter into your own computer. When Terminator premiered we all quickly realized that the producers were using code from the magazine in the scenes where we see things thru the Terminator's eyes as the computer code scrolls down. I never spotted any of my programs though. :))
    I like the android's multipe choice replies. There was a band I used to listen to that sampiled that coarse language sentence. :)

Incidentally since we're on the subject, here's my favorite Arnold movies

Terminator
    Predator
    Red Heat
    Commando (for it's OTT ridiculousness cheese factor)
    Hercules In New York (a camp lover's dream) :D
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    Ironically enough Dan, I think I enjoyed T3 more than T2 for the very same reasons that you liked it less. Arnold did subtly lampoon his character at times but I thought that was a very clever and gutsy move on his part. The little gags and mannerisms he brought to the role made him more interesting to me
    Fair enough. ;) AS long as you're a Terminator fan, I'm happy. :D
    TonyDP wrote:
    Oh, and Kristanna Loken's introduction as the T-X is also very ... ahem ... memorable in its own right. ;) I wouldn't mind seeing that particular model make a return appearance in a future movie or TV show.
    She was great. But I would actually have preferred Famke Janssen who was originally offered the role. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited January 2007
    Alex wrote:
    My five favourite Arnie films are (in chronological order) Conan The Barbarian, The Terminator, Predator, Total Recall and Terminator 2.
    Alex wrote:
    Terminator
    Magnificent film; however we have already established that. ;)
    Alex wrote:
    Predator
    A brilliant, brilliant thriller. I completely adore it. Great choice. {[]
    Alex wrote:
    Red Heat
    That is one of my ten favourite Arnie films. I don't love it as much as a few of his other films, but I have had a huge soft spot for this film for years. :)
    Alex wrote:
    It is cheesy, but as a pure action film, it's terrific, and is surely among the best of its type. It's quite easy to criticise a film like this, but if one takes it for what it is (all action), then I think one will see that it is a classic.
    Alex wrote:
    As a huge Arnie fan, I am ashamed to say that I have never seen this film. ;%
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    As a huge Arnie fan, I am ashamed to say that I have never seen this film. ;%
    This is the second time I've lost a lengthy reply. I HATE INTERNET EXPLORER 7!!

Apologies. Hercules In NY was the first one, Dan, made in '70 on a shoe string budget. Arnold was influenced by British bodybuilder and actor Reg Park after seeing him in director Mario Bava's magnificently opulent "Hercules In The Haunted World" which also starred Chris Lee. Park encouraged Scharzenegger and the two became friends.

Arnold's voice was dubbed over with a booming god like quality which adds tremendously to it's Mystery Science Theater attraction. The dvd allows you the option of Arnold's unused, extremely heavy accent. It's very silly and very campy and isn't going to win any awards. But that's why I love it. Though I'm certain the Governor would like to excise it from history. :)
    edited January 2007
    Alex wrote:
    This is the second time I've lost a lengthy reply. I HATE INTERNET EXPLORER 7!!

Apologies. Hercules In NY was the first one, Dan, made in '70 on a shoe string budget. Arnold was influenced by British bodybuilder and actor Reg Park after seeing him in director Mario Bava's magnificently opulent "Hercules In The Haunted World" which also starred Chris Lee. Park encouraged Scharzenegger and the two became friends.

Arnold's voice was dubbed over with a booming god like quality which adds tremendously to it's Mystery Science Theater attraction. The dvd allows you the option of Arnold's unused, extremely heavy accent. It's very silly and very campy and isn't going to win any awards. But that's why I love it. Though I'm certain the Governor would like to excise it from history. :)
    Thanks for that. :) I've never seen this film, however as I intend to see every film Arnie has ever made, it is definitely on my must-see list (along with only a couple of his other films that I'm yet to see.) BTW, perhaps you don't remember, but is it true that he was credited as Arnold Strong? ;)
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Well I see I never attached the article about T4 I came across, yet discussion ensued. Shows the intelligence of the AJB crowd, we can talk about things even if the article isn't posted.

Here it is, better late than never.

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/art_terminator4.html
    Well I see I never attached the article about T4 I came across, yet discussion ensued. Shows the intelligense of the AJB crowd, we can talk about things even if the article isn't posted.

Don't you think you're overreacting a little bit? (no need to be condescending either)
    Alex wrote:
    Well I see I never attached the article about T4 I came across, yet discussion ensued. Shows the intelligense of the AJB crowd, we can talk about things even if the article isn't posted.

Don't you think you're overreacting a little bit? (no need to be condescending either)

Wasn't overreacting or being condescending, I was serious, I make the mistake of not posting the article and yet some good discussion ensued. I enjoyed reading the posts and was a little embarrassed at not having attached the link to the story, making my original post look pretty dumb. Anyway, sorry if my post attaching the link seemed to be critical of folks, it certainly wasn't meant to be that way.
    edited January 2007
    Alex wrote:

Wasn't overreacting or being condescending, I was serious, I make the mistake of not posting the article and yet some good discussion ensued. I enjoyed reading the posts and was a little embarrassed at not having attached the link to the story, making my original post look pretty dumb. Anyway, sorry if my post attaching the link seemed to be critical of folks, it certainly wasn't meant to be that way.
    My turn to be embarrassed, Barry, I misconstrued your post and took it the wrong way it was intended. Sorry for the misunderstanding. (I didn't think your original post looked bad at all btw)
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Alex wrote:

Terminator
    Predator
    Red Heat

Commando is probably my favorite Arnold movie. A good friend of mine is also a Scharzenneger nut and we would trade quotes from that one endlessly ( "Let off some steam Bennett!" :)) )

Did you ever see "The Villain" with Arnold, Kirk Douglas and a very sexy Ann Margret? It's one of Arnold's earliest movies.

It's a western that was directed by Hollywood stunt legend Hal Needham and was little more than a bunch of loosely connected Wile E. Coyote style action skits as Douglas continually tries (and fails) to off Arnold and Ms. Margret. Arnold plays a muscle bound momma's boy who's too dim to notice Ann Margret's many sexual advances. Douglas plays bad guy for hire Texas Jack Slade. And the late Paul Lynde has a pretty memorable appearance as Nervous Elk.

Not much of a movie but, like Hercules in New York, it is something of a guilty pleasure for me. And Ann Margret was still very easy on the eyes.
    TonyDP wrote:
    Alex wrote:

Terminator
    Predator
    Red Heat

Commando is probably my favorite Arnold movie. A good friend of mine is also a Scharzenneger nut and we would trade quotes from that one endlessly ( "Let off some steam Bennett!" :)) )

Did you ever see "The Villain" with Arnold, Kirk Douglas and a very sexy Ann Margret? It's one of Arnold's earliest movies.

It's a western that was directed by Hollywood stunt legend Hal Needham and was little more than a bunch of loosely connected Wile E. Coyote style action skits as Douglas continually tries (and fails) to off Arnold and Ms. Margret. Arnold plays a muscle bound momma's boy who's too dim to notice Ann Margret's many sexual advances. Douglas plays bad guy for hire Texas Jack Slade. And the late Paul Lynde has a pretty memorable appearance as Nervous Elk.

Not much of a movie but, like Hercules in New York, it is something of a guilty pleasure for me. And Ann Margret was still very easy on the eyes.
    My favorite laugh out loud moment from Commando is when big tough Arnie asks for a pillow and blanket from the stewardess during lift-off, he stretches, then cold cocks the goon accompanying him to oblivion. What a fantastic piece of hilarity. I love it. Followed by a Thunderball quote to boot!

As for the villain, no I haven't but I'm familiar with it's video cover. I'll have to check this one out now fo' sho'. ;)
  • swordfish356swordfish356 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Hello everyone. I'm new to this website had a look at the post's on T4 and holly mairy of jesus i would love a T4 to come out, But in all fairness i dowt it will after Arnold is getting on in life, Sadly. But i'll keep my hopes up and check forum out for more films i would like to talk about.
  • swordfish356swordfish356 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Don't know if any of you remember the planet of the apes film, It was pretty cool and would like to get the subject of that up. Would love to see a number 2 After they leave it .HANGING. But would love to hear everyone elses comments on the subject.{[]
    Welcome aboard, sword, sadly I didn't really care for Tim Burton's POTA, so I can't really comment, however maybe Barry or Tony or somebody else might have some input for you.
    Don't know if any of you remember the planet of the apes film, It was pretty cool and would like to get the subject of that up. Would love to see a number 2 After they leave it .HANGING. But would love to hear everyone elses comments on the subject.{[]
    Alex wrote:
    Welcome aboard, sword, sadly I didn't really care for Tim Burton's POTA, so I can't really comment, however maybe Barry or Tony or somebody else might have some input for you.

Can't say I cared much for Burton's take on Planet of the Apes either. While the film was visually striking I found most of the situation and characters very forgettable. The "surprise" ending also make absolutely no sense given where Thade ended up in the previous scenes.

Personally, I much prefer the 1968 original with Charlton Heston; that one has a good mix of action, satire and a really innovative ending. I also really enjoyed the followup "Beneath The Planet Of The Apes"; that one was also a good adventure with a very shocking ending. After that, the whole Apes franchise degenerated pretty quickly for me and I don't really watch any of the other movies.
  • deliciousdelicious SydneyPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    Terminator 1 and 2 were great but Terminator 3 sucked big time. Here's the way the T3 storyline should have gone:

John Connor is living what appears to be a very decadent party lifestyle without a care in the world, with lots of female admirers. We immediately feel that he is unsuspecting and vulnerable and that the thinks that after the events of T2 he is safe.

Somewhere in the city two Terminators materialise - one female and one male. They quickly acquire clothes, a car and discover John's address and make a beeline for his apartment.

Out in the desert two more figures materialise, one a Terminator (Arnie) and one a naked woman shaking with the pain and cold of time travel. She is Kate Brewster and John's future wife. Arnie is her protector. Unlike the whining girl in the T3 film we saw she is competent, streetwise, battle hardened, a woman who has spent her life in the ruins of the future. The female equivalent of Reese from T1.

She and Arnie set off to find John before the two bad Terminators do.

The 2 bad Terminators reach Johns apartment. The scene is interwoven with scenes of John having a good time at a party in an apartment.

The Terminators break in to an empty apartment. Alarms and surveillance cameras activate and send a warning to John's mobile phone. John, who is in another apartment somewhere else in the city, gets the message he has been dreading - the Terminators are back. He can see them exploring his apartment on his camera video screen.

The Terminators break up the apartment looking for him and discover the surveillance equipment. They hack into it and pinpoint Johns location using his own mobile phone. He does not realise this to start with.

The chase begins with Kate and Arnie rescuing John from the bad Ts just in time. She destroys his phone so they cant continue tracking him. As they get to know each other she bowls him over with her strength and energy - however she is shy like Reese was and covers this up by being aggressive and a bit patronising to start with, thinking that John needs to toughen up and get smart etc.

She also wants to try to stop her father from activating Skynet and save his life which almost ends up killing them and then as in the movie, they escape and get to Crystal Peak just in time. The movie ends the same way but Kate is a strong support and mentor for John as she knows the future.

I like my plot more because:

1. it has 3 Terminators which T3 should have had.
    2. Kate's character is not ineffectual and whining. She annoyed me intensely in the T3 film.
    3. John is not such a loser to start with living off the grid which is less entertaining for the audience than seeing him living the high life.

Let me know what you think.
    Some updated news on T4. It appears T4 will happen.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/05-11-07_3?GT1=7701
    I hope so. I adore the Terminator films and nothing will give me greater pleasure than to see a fourth Terminator (Even if it doesn't feature Arnie.)
    Dan Same wrote:
    I hope so. I adore the Terminator films and nothing will give me greater pleasure than to see a fourth Terminator (Even if it doesn't feature Arnie.)

I like the idea of setting up a Terminator movie that shows us John Connor and his restistance battling the machines; but, I've never heard of this "Halcyon" production company. Hopefully they won't turn any future Terminator movies into quickie, el-cheapo Sci-Fi Channel productions where the future remnants of civilization consist entirely of third rate CGI effects, delerict junkyards and steamy boiler rooms.
    TonyDP wrote:
    I like the idea of setting up a Terminator movie that shows us John Connor and his restistance battling the machines; but, I've never heard of this "Halcyon" production company. Hopefully they won't turn any future Terminator movies into quickie, el-cheapo Sci-Fi Channel productions where the future remnants of civilization consist entirely of third rate CGI effects, delerict junkyards and steamy boiler rooms.
    Oh yeh. :# That is something I wouldn't want to see at all. ALso, I want to be able to get behind the characters, which I could with the first two. Here's hoping. (My fingers are crossed. :D)
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I think it's a bad idea. Only Arnie can play the terminater but he's way too old now
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    I'd read recently that a proposed Terminator TV series was being shopped around. It would supposedly take place between T2 and T3 and focus on John and Sarah Connor's time on the run. Didn't sound particularly interesting to me and I'm glad nothing has come of it.

I wasn't keen on the idea of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles either when I first heard about it. But the the opening 3 episodes have just aired in the UK and I was pleasantly surprised. It's not must-see TV, but its entertaining, and the casting of the hauntingly beautiful Summer Glau, from Firefly as the good Terminator is a masterstroke.
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    dont think Arny will be back
    "I wont be back"
    has anyone seen the sarah connor series on virgin1 its great
    edited March 2008
    John Drake wrote:
    It's not must-see TV, but its entertaining, and the casting of the hauntingly beautiful Summer Glau, from Firefly as the good Terminator is a masterstroke.
    Actualy JD, I think it is must-see TV. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is fast developing into one of my favourite TV shows, and that's not simply because I'm a Terminator fanatic. :D
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Actualy JD, I think it is must-see TV. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is fast developing into one of my favourite TV shows, and that's not simply because I'm a Terminator fanatic. :D

Okay, beginning to agree with you. This is getting very good now.
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    edited June 2008
    o.k. so any of you guys seen the newest spoiler for T4 over at

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36947

if this is even remotly true it totaly ruins the whole series
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    Agent_M wrote:
    o.k. so any of you guys seen the newest spoiler for T4 over at

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36947

if this is even remotly true it totaly ruins the whole series

There was an interview with director McG over at IGN. The topic of the spoiler was brought up and his cryptic reply was that only three people know the ending of the movie. Vague, yes, but the fact that he didn't out and out deny the rumor was very troubling to me. I agree that it would completely ruin the series.

Christian Bale is pretty picky about his roles and the fact that he's definitely involved hopefully means we'll get a quality movie. Still, I have a hard time trusting a guy who's biggest directorial effort to date is Charlie's Angels and has a name like something you'd order at McDonalds. Like they used to say in the Star Wars movies, "I have a bad feeling about this."
    Bad, very, very, bad. Say it ain't it so.
    The teaser to T4:Salvation is now up. Not too much too see but Christian Bale narrates as John Connor and there are a few intriguing shots. Have a look...

http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/8841507/standardformat/