Terminator

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    {[] Tony. I'll go and see it, but it's The Sarah Connor Chronicles that I'm looking forward to rather than any continuation of the film franchise.
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    I have a bad feeling about this
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited July 2008
    Agent_M wrote:
    I have a bad feeling about this

Some of the scenes look more like Mad Max than Terminator. But filming is still ongoing and I'm sure there will be FX added to lots of shots. There's still a long way to go for this one so I'll give McG and Bale the benefit of the doubt, for now....

BTW Agent_M, very cool Batman avatar; but I hope this doesn't mean the Flash has fallen out of favor with you.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Saw the trailer for this in the theater and just watched again thanks to Tony's post. I think the Terminator series needs a climatc battle to complete the story, however as Tony said it will be strange without Arnie. I didn't get a Mad Max feel, but I did get an Aliens feeling. The climatic battle should be an intellectual as well as a firearm fight. The Terminators are intelligent programmed fighting machines from the future, so hopefully we get some intelligent twists as well fire fights.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited July 2008
    John Drake wrote:
    {[] Tony. I'll go and see it, but it's The Sarah Connor Chronicles that I'm looking forward to rather than any continuation of the film franchise.
    The Sarah Connor Chronicles is indeed incredible (although not as good IMO as the first two Terminator films.) {[]

I will definitely be seeing the new Terminator film. How could I not? Terminator and Die Hard are to me what Iron Man is to Tony and Batman is to Rogue. :v I absolutely revere the Terminator films. :D :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited July 2008
    TonyDP wrote:
    Some of the scenes look more like Mad Max than Terminator.
    I agree with you that they don't look very Terminatorish (the Terminator films are alot more urban than this), and they do look like they come from Mad Max, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I don't really know the story (and I don't want to, so please don't correct me if anyone knows spoilers), but if the film takes place after Judgement Day, then the world should look like that.

That said, after viewing the teaser three times, I do think it looks very weird. I'll abstain from making any judgements until I see a proper trailer, as the Terminator films are of outmost importance to me, and my absolute nightmare would be if the producers mess up this film (especially after such a great TV show has began.)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited July 2008
    I think the Terminator series needs a climatc battle to complete the story, however as Tony said it will be strange without Arnie.
    I agree about the climatic battle. (Although, if it is the start of a two-parter or trilogy, will it all be about a battle? I don't desire an answer to that if it involves spoilers. ;) )

Regarding Arnie, he is one of my absolute heroes, but I've accepted that he wouldn't be in any more Terminator films (apart from the odd cameo) since he became Governor. It saddens me, of course, but it doesn't surprise me.
    I didn't get a Mad Max feel, but I did get an Aliens feeling.
    I got both. :)) I love Mad Max and Aliens but I really and truly hope that this film stays true to the spirit of Terminator.
    The climatic battle should be an intellectual as well as a firearm fight. The Terminators are intelligent programmed fighting machines from the future, so hopefully we get some intelligent twists as well fire fights.
    They are still killing machines though. I just want the machines to stay true to themselves. ;)
    By way of AICN, here's a pic of Batman, err John Conner taking on a T-800. The pic is pretty large so just click on the link....

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/T4picBig.jpg
    TonyDP wrote:
    By way of AICN, here's a pic of Batman, err John Conner taking on a T-800. The pic is pretty large so just click on the link....
    It looks really good, and Bale looks completely different to how he looks in the Batman films. :D
    edited December 2008
    Looks like some photos have popped up of Arnold on the set of Terminator: Salvation.

balearnoldMTX_450x350.jpg

And there are rumors that his likeness will be digitally inserted into the finished film.

Here's the link to the IGN article, with additional links to related stories therein:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/909/909494p1.html
    edited December 2008
    The first full trailer to next year's Terminator: Salvation is up at Apple's Quicktime site in a number of resolutions. Looks pretty good with some interesting terminator designs and action sequences although Bale's voice seems to be in gruff Batman mode for the duration.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/terminatorsalvation/
    May 22nd, the release day for T4 is my birthday, and I will celebrate by seeing T4, it looks good to me. However, like Tony, not sure I like the Batman voice for narration.

Help me with my timeline here, would this be the final battle that the Terminator went back in time to save John Connor for? Or is it something else? It has been awhile since I saw T3, but near the end of that movie, I remember some dialogue from John Connor, that he was wrong about why the Terminator came back for him, or something. Like I said, it has been a long time since I saw it, but I remember thinking that T3 made it seem like there would be no final battle.

Anyone remember better than me?
    edited December 2008
    Anyone remember better than me?

Terminator: Salvation takes place in 2018 and depicts mankind's fight for survival after the nuclear holocaust perpetrated by Skynet. So yes, this is the great conflict which John Connor was born to fight in. The twist, I believe, is that the events of the past films have somehow altered the timeline so John Connor is no longer sure about whether he can in fact defeat the machines and cannot go strictly by what his mother taught him.

Last time I checked, my understanding was that Salvation was the first part of a three part trilogy which would have ended with...
    Kyle Reese going back in time, thus bringing everything around full circle to the first Terminator movie.
    I don't know if that's still the plan however.

As to T3, the terminator in that film had killed John Connor in the future before being captured and reprogrammed by the resistance and sent back in time to protect John and Katherine Brewster. It's unknown if those events will factor into the new movie yet. At the end of the film, John had assumed that the Terminator had sent them to the government bunker at Crystal Peak to destroy the Skynet mainframe and prevent Judgment Day, but there was no mainframe - Skynet was software, stored in computers all over the world; it wasn't in one central location so there was no way to destroy it. The Terminator's mission had simply been to ensure John and Katherine's survival and to teach them to never stop fighting. I think that was what John was "wrong" about in his narration at the end.
    edited December 2008
    May 22nd, the release day for T4 is my birthday, and I will celebrate by seeing T4, it looks good to me.
    I envy you. {[]

I can NOT wait to see this film. It's a little annoying reading the Trek thread and hearing Tony's, Alex's and Rogue's enthusiasm for Trek, yet I feel the same way about Terminator and you and Tony are really the only people whom I can share my joy with. :# Ah well. The next 12 months is heaven for me: TWO new Eastwood films (one of which he acts in :D) and a new Terminator film! :D :D :D
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    I can NOT wait to see this film. It's a little annoying reading the Trek thread and hearing Tony's, Alex's and Rogue's enthusiasm for Trek, yet I feel the same way about Terminator and you and Tony are really the only people whom I can share my joy with. :#
    The first Terminator being one of my greatest teenage memories, (besides The Thing, Heavy Metal, Aliens, and The Hitcher with Rutger Hauer), I'd jump into enthusiasm for T4 with the rest of you. (If Arnold and Cameron return)
    edited February 2009
    Well Christian Bale has finally revealed that he has a personality. Pity it's the personality of a bullying, pompous git. I'm quite sure he could have explained why this divot of a DP should not be taking a walk through a shot without resorting to threats of violence. First his mum, now the crew. May he pick on somebody his own size and live to regret it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvMTv_r8sA
    edited February 2009
    Ah, these method actors. Bale has always struck me as a bit of a surly dude. Good actor, very intense, but he should definitely consider switching to decaf. His rant reminds me of Tom Cruise's hilarious, vulgarity laden tirades from Tropic Thunder. I guess that movie was more true to life than any of us could have guessed.
  • zig zagzig zag EnglandPosts: 244MI6 Agent
    I'd av hit him in the gob!!
    Wot a t***er
    "Yes,dammit,I said "was".The bitch is dead now."

"It's not difficult to get a double 0 number if your prepared to kill people"
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    Bale ranted on too long and was enjoying it too much, but you don't think Daniel Craig had similar outbursts in his career? Having a rough, plodding shoot and perhaps not sleeping properly for days on end likely put Christian Bale on edge, and the guy he was yelling at was blundering on to the set too often.

That said his accent ziz-zagging accross the Northern Hemisphere then taking a sudden about turn to Australia in less than 30 seconds was hysterical. :))
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    Here is a techno remix of his tirade (very sweary).

They could play this towards the end of the credits for Terminator 4. :))
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
    Bale ranted on too long and was enjoying it too much, but you don't think Daniel Craig had similar outbursts in his career? Having a rough, plodding shoot and perhaps not sleeping properly for days on end likely put Christian Bale on edge,

I can't see the Craigster threatening to kick somebody's ass on set. Losing his temper maybe, but not launching into a rant like that. Connery maybe. But at least he can swear properly.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited February 2009
    John Drake wrote:
    Well Christian Bale has finally revealed that he has a personality. Pity it's the personality of a bullying, pompous git. I'm quite sure he could have explained why this divot of a DP should not be taking a walk through a shot without resorting to threats of violence. First his mum, now the crew. May he pick on somebody his own size and live to regret it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvMTv_r8sA

There was a time in my life ,before maturity and responsibility of family, when I would've reacted very harshly to rants like that towards me and would have probably regretted it afterwards. But we definetely would've scrapped. He needs to learn that he isn't the only one out there who can "explode" like that...but he might just find that out if he keeps this up.

I really like Bale alot but God, that was so overdone to just make your point. I can only imagine how spun out of control TDK set might've been in a similar circumstance.

He needs anger management therapy ASAP. And for a Welsh guy, he's certainly sounding more and more American. :))

What do you all make of this? I shouldn't be surprised I guess...

Cameron Refuses To Endorse New Terminator Movie
    5 February 2009 8:20 AM, PST

The Terminator creator James Cameron has refused to "endorse" the latest movie in the sci-fi franchise - reserving the right to "hate" the film if it fails to meet his high standards. Cameron launched the movie series by directing and co-writing the original film in 1984 and its subsequent follow-up - 1991's Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

But the filmmaker opted out of the third picture, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines in 2003, and is not involved in the latest sequel, the forthcoming Terminator Salvation.

The fourth movie's director, McG, admits he sought Cameron's approval for the Christian Bale-starring picture - and the star refused to give it.

He tells Wired.com, "I didn't want to feel like the guy who gave birth to the Terminator is against what we're doing, so I go to see James Cameron to kiss the ring and tell him what I was trying to do.

"He's cordial but says, 'I'm not going to endorse your movie. I reserve the right to hate it. But I wish you well, and if you're going to make a Terminator, I'd prefer you make a good one to a bad one'.'"

Terminator Salvation hits cinemas this summer.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    I've never thought much of James Cameron quite honestly (somebody go revive Dan Same). Other than the first Terminator and Aliens, his genre stuff just hasn't held up well over the years for me and his other projects like Titanic make me wretch.

I think the guy is a little full of himself actually. He walked away from Spiderman because in the end it wasn't his own original creation - 8-) - and I recall he was also coyly silent on Teminator 3, even though I found that movie more entertaining than both of his efforts. Unfortunately, he has his legion of blindly devoted fans who will be more than happy to poo-poo any project that he's not involved with without so much as giving it a second glance (or first glance for that matter).

Everything I've seen of Terminator Salvation so far makes it seem like an imaginative thrill ride and I hope McG can pull it off. The lack of a James Cameron Seal of Approval TM means squat to me as the only endorsement that really matters on this or any other movie is my own.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    I'd say that Cameron is well within his rights to reserve judgement. He created the characters and stories of the Terminator world himself, but chose not to continue with that world after Judgement Day. As an artist, he either felt that he had nothing more to give, or alternatively, that the story that was being promoted for T3 just wasn't what he wanted. I respect him for refusing to endorse something, just for the cash (because of course he will still be receiving money for T4, no matter what he does).

I think Titanic is a blight upon humanity, but I admire his principles.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    edited February 2009
    TonyDP wrote:
    Ah, these method actors.
    Bale is a good actor (his performance in American Psycho was superb and I loved him in Batman begins) but he is IMO nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. He takes himself far too seriously and he thinks that he is the next De Niro. He is good, no doubt about it, but I don't think that he is great; his performance in The Dark Knight being a prime example of why IMO he is nowhere near as good as he imagines himself to be.

Robert Downey Jr. is another actor whom IMO is overrated, but the one thing that Downey Jr. has going for him IMO is that he's willing to laugh at himself (although I do think he is also a fine actor, albeit not a great one.) Bale needs to stop taking him so seriously, perhaps produce a Tropic Thunder-like performance and needs to appreciate that he is not the only person on a film set with a job to do. Oh, and he's got produce a quality performance in the third Batman film. ;)
    edited February 2009
    TonyDP wrote:
    I've never thought much of James Cameron quite honestly (somebody go revive Dan Same). Other than the first Terminator and Aliens, his genre stuff just hasn't held up well over the years for me and his other projects like Titanic make me wretch.
    I'm revived.... :v

Tony, Tony, Tony, you really do like to poke at the bear don't you? :# One piece of advice; it's not wise to prod at the Crocodile with a stick. Your hand may get bitten off. :v

I adore Cameron. Aliens is IMO one of the finest sequels ever made, with one of Sigourney's greatest performances.

The Abyss featured incredible visual effects which still stand up 20 years later.

True Lies is incredibly flawed, and has some unnecessarily ugly aspects, but it also has some brilliant aspects, including some of the best action scenes of all time. It's a film that quite disapponts me actually. It's one of several films that are challengers for a place in my Arnie top 10, however, if some of the ugly aspects had been eliminated, it could very well be challenging for a place in my top 5.

I may be one of the only members here who really enjoyed Titanic. Yes, it's corny, it's a little annoying at times, but IMO it's also extremely fun, Kate Winslet is extraordinary, the film is simply stunning to look at, and the end features a moment that really gets to me on an emotional level.

The first season of Dark Angel was magnificent. The show jumped the shark early in the second season, but the first season was IMO a brilliant combination of cybernetic sci-fi/action/dystopian sci-fi and even socio-political commentary. I truly loved the first season. :D

Then there are the Terminator films. I won't say much, as I don't want this to turn into a 100 page thesis, so I will simply say this. The Terminator and Terminator 2 are two of my absolute all-time favourite films. I revere both equally. I probably prefer the second film from a purely entertainment point of view, which incidentally was the first film to bring me to tears, but I very much adore both films. Everyone has a list of films which have shaped them and/or which they regard as cinematic milestones in their life. The Terminator and Terminator 2 are on my personal list. Both are IMO cinematic masterpieces, both are IMO (along with Total Recall) two of Arnie's three great masterpieces and both are films which I can not wait to show to my 6 & 1/2 week old niece when she's older. :D
    TonyDP wrote:
    The lack of a James Cameron Seal of Approval TM means squat to me as the only endorsement that really matters on this or any other movie is my own.
    {[] Tony, even though you and I have completely different views regarding James Cameron, I completely agree with you on this. It does not matter what enybody else thinks; the only person whose opinion matters is you (or in my case, me.) :D
    Dan Same wrote:
    [
    Bale needs to stop taking him so seriously, perhaps produce a Tropic Thunder-like performance

Dan, I thought Bale's rant was very Tropic Thunder.
    John Drake wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    [
    Bale needs to stop taking him so seriously, perhaps produce a Tropic Thunder-like performance

Bale was most definitely channeling Tropic's Les Grossman during his little tirade. :))

Still, to his credit, Bale has been very effusive in his apologies and accepting of responsibility for the outburst. Hopefully he will have learned something from this episode.
    John Drake wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    Yes, but not in the way I meant. :))
    Well we are about a month away from the next Terminator movie and if this thread is any indication, anticipation is not at a fever pitch. I read that this movie is a set-up for another Terminator trilogy, to be directed by McG (nice name :s ) who also directed Charlie's Angels, before getting the Terminator gig. Put me down as officially worried about this film. I may have to go see Night at the Museum 2 that weekend instead.