Favorite Funny Moments

bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
A key ingredient to the the Bond series is its sense of humor.
Every Bond film has a number of comic moments that are near and dear to the the heart of every Bond fan.

I would like to point out some of my favorite moments that gives me a chuckle.
Any input is, of course, greatly appreciated, but this thread is for the Bond-fan that wants to share the joy of a treasured moment, not denigrate it.

In other words, cheap shots ("Its so bad, its funny.") are not welcome. I want to hear what scenes or lines put a genuine smile on a Bond-fan's face.

DN- "007, leave the Baretta." The first Bond/M scene instantly captures the father/son dynamic. 007, world's greatest spy, tries to fake out the old man. M handles Bond like he was a kid with his hand caught in the cookie jar.
Check out Bond's silent appreciation at getting caught when he hands back the gun. Wonderful moment.

FRWL- "She should have kept her mouth shut." A classic scene of tension topped by a perfect one-liner. 'Nuff said.

GF- Bond following Goldfinger in Switzerland. A pretty girl in a convertible speeds by. Bond instanty starts to give chase but stops, realizing duty calls. "Discipline, 007, discipline." he wearily mumbles to himself.
The totality of Bond summed up in 5 seconds

TB- "Strange as it may seem..I've grown accustomed to your face." A perfectly delivered line by Connery as Bond compliments Fiona in their dance of death. Bonus comic points for Fiona's reaction.

YOLT- Bond chasing Aki stumbles down a floor opening to...land in a very comfortable chair. "Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond." The ablility of the series to alleviate a tense moment with a sudden comic touch is one its greatest achievements. Playing with audience expectations is something the Bond films did BETTER than anyone before 1962 (with the exception of Hitchcock perhaps).

OHMSS- Bond ("Its Hilly") at Piz Gloria, looking for some fun, is shocked to see the grotesque gargoyle face of Irma Bunt. A laugh tinged with shock, it is perfectly handled by Lazenby, as Bond looks for a second to start laughing himself before he gets knocked out.

DAF- "I have a brother."
"Small world."

LALD- A terrific comic touch when Bond and Solitaire are captured by the NewYork cabbie. ("Well, hello there Jim. Relaaaaaaax, Mr. Big wants to see you.") A gloriously funny moment for henchmen everywhere.

TMWTGG- Bond awakens to find himself a prisoner at a karate school. As he watches a match which ends with death, Bond is cared for by some lovely ladies. A new student appears and the ladies, with the loveliest of manners and smiles, beckon Bond to join the festivities.

TSWLM- Bond (and magnet) vs. Jaws. The moment where Bond fakes out Jaws to look up is one of those hilarious moments that must be put in the Comedy Hall-Of-Fame. Simply put, one of Roger's greatest moments and a comic touch that is absolutely Bondian

MR- The classic scene between Bond and Jaws in the Rio alleyway. From beginning to end, one of the great scenes in the series to combine menace and humor. Check out the marvelous moment when Bond and Jaws exchange the friendliest of smiles, one could swear they almost look glad to see each other. A fantastic scene.

FYEO- Some Bond-fans may grumble at this choice, but to a Canadian, Bond getting attacked by hockey players, is fun with a capital F. Extra points for the goal buzzer. And when 007 dispatches a thug with the Zamboni, for a second, Bond is an honorary Canuck.

OP- Gobinda crushes the loaded dice as he give Bond the death-stare. A tip of the henchman hat to Oddjob, to be sure, but check out Bond's reaction. Being threatened by henchmen is an hourly occurence for 007, so no sweat. Gobinda will soon be on the henchman menu that Bond has for breakfast.

AVTAK- Roger Moore and Patrick Magee. The producers wasted a golden opportunity in killing off Magee. If you needed a Britsh Felix Leiter, old John Steed was a perfect fit. A welcome comic foil for 007.

LTD- Bond and Kara on the run. Kara wants her cello. Bond says no. Cut to Bond waiting in the car like every husband in the world, waiting for his wife to finish shopping. Bond has saved the world, but he is no match for the whims of a damsel in distress.

LTK- Bond smashes the face of a Sanchez thug and tells the waitress: "He's had enough." Dalton humorless and without charm? I disagree. He's no Roger, of course, but the laughs are there if you look.

GE- "Sorry about the leg, Q. Skiing?"
KA-BOOOOOM!
"Hunting!"
After an absence of 6 years and a new Bond, there was not a Bond-fan in the world who wasn't laughing with glee at this moment. The smile on Q's face is absolutely priceless.

TND- There is a blink-and-you'll miss it moment of hilarity. Bond, looking sharp in a naval uniform meets old CIA friend Joe Don Baker, who is dressed like, shall we say, a beach bum. Check out Bond's disapproving reaction to Wade's attire. Hilarious.
It is one thing to save the world, but there is no point if one cannot be dressed like a gentleman in the process.

TWINE- "If I don't get those missiles back, someone will have my ass."
"First things first."
A moment and one-liner that Pierce hits out of the park.

DAD- John Cleese as Q. 'Nuff said.

When the Bond magic is working, that fine line between balance menace and humor, the audience feels the glee of a roller-coaster ride.
Its been said that the films contain a humour that is not found in the books, and that is true. The wink towards the audience has been there since 1962.

Terence Young infused Bond with a lighter-than-air sense of humor and succeeded gloriously. Since that first night in October 1962, when the audience laughed and cheered along to every bit of tom-foolery , Bond has set the standard for audience participation.

So here's to the movies greatest action hero, a man in a tuxedo who can save the world with a touch of brutality and a twinkle in his eye.
And lets not forget the comic timing of a master comedian.

"Its for my ice-skates."
"Lovely sport."

Comments

• Hunter HarryHunter Harry Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    Very good read, but for Live And Let Die I would have put Bond's reaction to the turning wall at the Fillet of Soul. Watch it, his highly animated movements are classic.
  • clumclum Santa Cruz, CAPosts: 63MI6 Agent
    bigzilcho wrote:
    OHMSS- Bond ("Its Hilly") at Piz Gloria, looking for some fun, is shocked to see the grotesque gargoyle face of Irma Bunt. A laugh tinged with shock, it is perfectly handled by Lazenby, as Bond looks for a second to start laughing himself before he gets knocked out.

also in OHMSS when Bond is with the goofy English girl and he drops his kilt and she exclaims "It's true!"
    that always makes me laugh
    i imagine Bond proudly standing there
    gadget out
    no underpants
    classic!
    bigzilcho wrote:
    TMWTGG- Bond awakens to find himself a prisoner at a karate school. As he watches a match which ends with death, Bond is cared for by some lovely ladies. A new student appears and the ladies, with the loveliest of manners and smiles, beckon Bond to join the festivities.

and Bond's opponent does an elaborate martial arts display and then bows respectfully before the start of the match
    Bond kicks him in the face :))
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    edited July 2006
    One that sticks out for me is from TND: ( And to have Q dressed as a Avis agent only adds to fun)

Q: It's the insurance damage waiver for your beautiful new car. Now, will you need collision coverage?
    James Bond: Yes.
    Q: Fire?
    James Bond: Probably.
    Q: Property destruction?
    James Bond: Definitely.
    Q: Personal Injury?
    James Bond: I hope not, but accidents do happen.
    Q: They frequently do with you.
    James Bond: Well, that takes care of the normal wear-and-tear. Is there any other protection I need?
    Q: Only from me 007, unless you bring that car back in pristine order.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    edited July 2006
    Thunderball- Bond: Do you mind if my friend sits this one out, she's just dead. Very funny.

AND

For Your Eyes Only-

Bond: Forgive me father, for I have sinned.
    Q: That's putting it mildly, 007!

Two that I can remember now, there's tonnes more that I like though! One of the reasons I love the Bonds, is for the humour. :)

Kudos for making the list, and for pointing out Dalton has a sense of humour for the non believers. As you said, the funny moments are less, and even when they do come they are not as pronounced as Roger's but still there.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited July 2006
    One which brings a smile to my face is Bond's superiors all listening to his interrogation of the Russian lass, Tanya, and it occurs during her description of the decoding machine.

Bond's reply of, "All day and night", to Tanya's playful banter (admittedly a sexism of the past) is a pleasantly humorous adult moment.
  • clumclum Santa Cruz, CAPosts: 63MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    One which brings a smile to my face is Bond's superiors all listening to his interrogation of the Russian lass, Tanya, and it occurs during her description of the decoding machine.

Bond's reply of, "All day and night", to Tanya's playful banter (admittedly a sexism of the past) is a pleasantly humorous adult moment.

then Tanya again interupts the interrogation by asking Bond: "Tell me the truth. Am I as exciting as all those western girls?"
    Bond answers: "Oh, well once I was with M in Tokyo..."
    M quickly fumbles for the Stop button and dismisses Moneypenny :))
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    The banter between Bond & Goodhead always makes me smile (for all the criticism of Moonraker's script, a lot of the dialogue simply sparkles). My favourite is when they are by the canal outside Venini Glass -

"Can you think of a reason why we can't have dinner tonight?"

"Not immediately. But I'm sure I shall."
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    Regardless of the usefull and/or absurdness of the gadgets used, I have always enjoyed the interplay of dialogue between 007 and Q from GF though DAD. From "I never joke about my work, 007," to "I wish you would vanish." I found myself rollicking in hysterics.

My absolute favorite was when Bond was inspecting a long sandwich only to have it taken away from him and being berated for touching Q's lunch.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    One thing I think they got right in The Living Daylights was the humour element. It was classy and understated. Two examples;

When Bond & Kara sledge thru customs waving passports yelling 'Nothing to declare!'

When Kara declares them to be 'Free' and Bond points out they are in an air base in the middle of Afghanistan!
    The Livng Daylights is great in all departments, but they should have kept the Magic Carpet scene.

"I told you this stuff was good"
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Like always, zilcho, your stuff is awesome. Some additions:

-- Victor Tourjansky, the "man with the bottle" who is surprised by what he sees of Bond in Italy in 3 consecutive films. My favorite is the blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene from FYEO.

-- The none-too-bright Las Vegas sheriff in DAF. "There goes that sunnuvabitchin' saboteur."

-- Speaking of sheriffs, I think Pepper is brilliant in LALD (hate him in TMWTGG), especially when he crows "that's my brother-in-law Billy Bob!" as black-as-night Adam comes roaring by in Billy Bob's boat. Also in LALD, the cabbie making the KKK joke, then flashing a toothy grin.

-- In GF, I love when Bond plays games with Mai Lee on the plane.

-- Roger Moore is brilliant in those scenes with Tibbett, berating him (on tape!) for the sorry state of his clothes.

-- Moore is also fabulous when waving the egg in front of Fanning's nose.

-- FInally, special kudos to Samantha Bond for the simulated sex scene in DAD -- with Cleese playing the straight man, no less! A sparkling moment in a film that has very few of them.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    ^^^

Thank god, I thought I was the only one that liked J W Pepper.

"I'm sure this ain't exactly your debut with this sort of thing" *spits*
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    FRWL - Bond, just before he chucks the henchman off the boat:

"Just isn't your day...is it?" :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I will say the end of DAD, where Moneypenny is caught by Q fantasizing about Bond.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Jaws setting off the Airport metal detector with his steel teeth in Moonraker. Just a very funny gag.
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    There are many throughout the series- some of my faves are:

Goldfinger- Bond's casual utterance of 'Shocking. Positively shocking' after electrocuting a henchman in the fight in the opening credits. Connery plays it perfectly.

Diamonds Are Forever- many highly amusing ones in this. I love the whole 'Klaus Hergescheimer, Section G' schtick, the faux German accent preamble from Connery prior to his bust up with Peter Franks, the wonderfully dry 'I got a brother'/'Small world', the dumb cop's cries of 'There goes that son of a bitchin' saboteur', 'Hi I'm Plenty.''But of course you are'...

Live and Let Die- again great comic moments. 'Whose funeral is it?' 'Yours', is wonderfully macabre, Bond's 'Quite revealing' when Kananga reveals the man behind the mask, his 'Absolutely. There's no sense in going off half cocked!' to Solitaire and the 'He always did have a high opinion of himself' after Kananga spontaneously combusts.

For Your Eyes Only- 'alright, keep your hair on' from Bond after tapping Blofeld's (or 'villain in wheelchair' as a book I own has it) bald head and the gloriously daft parrot/Prime Minister scenario at the end. 'A nose Q- not a banana' as Q bungles the identikit machine...

Octopussy- Roger Moore's wonderful facial expression as he is being held hostage in a van whilst his female counterpart flirts with the enemy in the accompanying van.

A View To A Kill- 'Hi- I'm Jenny Flex'/'Of course you are.'
    Of course, we can't forget Roger Moore, sliding down the banister in OP---and shooting the knob off the end of it to prevent possible injury to 'Little James' :)) One of the finest Bond moments of that era, IMHO...
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Steed wrote:
    There are many throughout the series- some of my faves are:

Goldfinger- Bond's casual utterance of 'Shocking. Positively shocking' after electrocuting a henchman in the fight in the opening credits. Connery plays it perfectly.

Diamonds Are Forever- many highly amusing ones in this. I love the whole 'Klaus Hergescheimer, Section G' schtick, the faux German accent preamble from Connery prior to his bust up with Peter Franks, the wonderfully dry 'I got a brother'/'Small world', the dumb cop's cries of 'There goes that son of a bitchin' saboteur', 'Hi I'm Plenty.''But of course you are'...

Live and Let Die- again great comic moments. 'Whose funeral is it?' 'Yours', is wonderfully macabre, Bond's 'Quite revealing' when Kananga reveals the man behind the mask, his 'Absolutely. There's no sense in going off half cocked!' to Solitaire and the 'He always did have a high opinion of himself' after Kananga spontaneously combusts.

For Your Eyes Only- 'alright, keep your hair on' from Bond after tapping Blofeld's (or 'villain in wheelchair' as a book I own has it) bald head and the gloriously daft parrot/Prime Minister scenario at the end. 'A nose Q- not a banana' as Q bungles the identikit machine...

Octopussy- Roger Moore's wonderful facial expression as he is being held hostage in a van whilst his female counterpart flirts with the enemy in the accompanying van.

They all are certainly funny but Jenny's moment takes the cake.
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    I always chuckle at the part in GF where Bond is about to join Goldfinger for a mint julep. Bond, in a three-piece suit mind you, is sitting in his cell with the door open, being intensely guarded and stared at by four or five guys at gunpoint. This of course being the result of his previous escape. :007)

Not laugh out loud funny but a humorous scenario for sure. Like a well dressed mischevious child in a "timeout".
    edited July 2006
    Connery---in DAF---after he has just killed (the real) Peter Franks in a classic close-quarters fight scene in the elevator. As Bond drags the corpse...

TIFFANY: Is he dead?

BOND: I sincerely hope so.

:007)
  • PUCCINIPUCCINI Posts: 70MI6 Agent
    Bond movies are full on humorous moments, ther'es millions of it...I can remember, apart from the other you all have named:

In the TSWLM when bond takes Anya form her shoulder, but she suddenly wakes up and he is caught in the action, hilarious!!

I love Bond movies!
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    Connery---in DAF---after he has just killed (the real) Peter Franks in a classic close-quarters fight scene in the elevator. As Bond drags the corpse...

TIFFANY: Is he dead?

BOND: I sincerely hope so.

:007)

"Who is your floor?" :)
  • chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    edited July 2006
    Jaws setting off the Airport metal detector with his steel teeth in Moonraker. Just a very funny gag.

Yes that made me laugh aswell,also when he did his cheeky smile to the airport attendent that was funny or maybe scary?
  • BondmoviesBondmovies Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    I like the scene in TB with Q and Bond
    Bond and Felix are talking, and the
    little door opens and Q walks in with
    Bond saying "Oh no"
    and Q "ahh 007"
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Great job, everyone, I appreciate your responses. Good laughs all around.

One of the essential requirements in playing 007 is the ability to be charming and have a way with the quip. as well as handling deadly henchmen.

Make no mistake, this lighter than air charm in leading men is not as easy as it looks. IMO all five Bonds carry themselves with panache (including the moody Dalton).

Daniel Craig needs to convince on two fronts: 1- Toughness. A friend once told me that he thinks Bond should look like he should be able to kill a man with his bare hands. On looks alone, Craig seems like a very dangerous dude. Easily, the most rugged -looking Bond since Connery. Lets hope CR will confirm this.

2- The charm factor- This is the tricky X-factor in playing Bond. (Dalton, in playing Fleming's Bond, alienated some fans who enjoyed Roger's anything-for-fun tenure). I can easily believe Craig as a Bond who "can kill a man with his bare hands." But will Craig charm the ladies and deliver the quips with the effortlessness of Sean, Roger and Pierce? That is the question and, I believe, his biggest hurdle.

"As you said. Such good sport."
  • MikeyRichardsMikeyRichards Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    I'm always amused by Sanchez' instructions on what to do with the money that Krest has just exploded on in Licence to Kill:

"Launder it."

And the exchange between Bond and Drax after Bond has shot the henchman in Moonraker is a personal favourite of mine:

Drax: "You missed, Mr. Bond."

Bond: "Did I?"

Magic.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    bigzilcho wrote:

TSWLM- Bond (and magnet) vs. Jaws. The moment where Bond fakes out Jaws to look up is one of those hilarious moments that must be put in the Comedy Hall-Of-Fame. Simply put, one of Roger's greatest moments and a comic touch that is absolutely Bondian

Roger Moore has an incredible gift of being able to convey exactly the right thought with a mere glimpse or raised eyebrow. His acting and timing show a real talent which is too often overlooked or derided, and considered to "flippant" for Bond. The truth is IMO Moore was able to deliver lines that the other Bond actors (with the possible exception of Connery) simply could not pull off. For instance, I can imagine Moore delivering any of Brosnan or Dalton's lines, but not the other way around.

I love the look of nonchalance that Bond gives in TSWLM when Anya wakes to find that she had fallen asleep on Bond's shoulder in the back of Jaw's truck. Priceless!

I also love the expression on Connery's face in Goldfinger when Oddjob crushes the golfball in his bare hand. It's moments when we see Bond looking uncomfortable and unsure of himself that really makes the character come alive for me.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006

They all are certainly funny but Jenny's moment takes the cake.[/quote]

Could you please explain why that is supposed to be funny? I don't get it.
  • SHAUN FOREVERSHAUN FOREVER Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I dont get it either.
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    This between Bond and Q in TLD.

[Q fiddling in the Aston Martin with two assistants holding the roof of the car above him, Bond enters the lab]

Bond: Morning, Q.
    Q: Ah, good morning 007! [Bangs his head on the roof as he lifts his head up]
    Bond: Er, mind your head.