Craig in The Golden Compass

jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
The Guardian are reporting that Daniel Craig will take a major part in the coming His Dark Materials movies. Leaving aside my involuntary shudder that Northern Lights is now The Golden Compass, I suspect the adaptation of Phillip Pullman's superb novels could be great. It's interesting to note that (a) Lord Asriel is the part that Timothy Dalton, of all people, played onstage at the National Theatre and (b) that it will reunite Daniel Craig with both Eva Green and Nicole Kidman.

Full story:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1853555,00.html
Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,743MI6 Agent
    Indeed, came up yesterday: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5263658.stm

Hes very brave taking on two franchises- I think he's got the heavyweight feel for Asriel, although I preferred Asriel being slightly older.

www.CraigNotAsriel.com anyone? :D
    Leaving aside my involuntary shudder that Northern Lights is now The Golden Compass,

I know what you mean; I heard it's down to the same guy who was responsible for 'Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone'; although I suppose it does mean that the title matches the other books now.
    And we Brits can hardly feel superior in the 'Madness of King George'; 'Licence Renewed' title changing business- I give you: 'The New Adventures of Superman'; 'Smallville: Superman; the Early Years'; 'Batman of the Future'; 'Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles' etc :D

Funny how American kids apparently couldn't cope with 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' but could cope with this:
    http://www.theindyexperience.com/interviews/img/mccoy_interview_philosophers_stone.jpg
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    edited August 2006
    I didn't even know that His Dark Materials was going to be filmed. (I tend to be very slow when it comes to news in the world of film :D ) I read Northern Lights/The Golden Compass a few years ago and rather enjoyed it. I don't remember a great deal about the characters so I can't really comment on whether Craig seems a good choice for Lord Asriel or not. I look forward to the film though.

EDIT: I see that on imdb Paul Bettany is listed as playing Lord Asriel. ?:)
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    The casting is mind boggling for me. I might have to start a CraigNotLordAsriel site. :p But then I'm not thrilled with Kidman as Ms Coulter either. Bah. Too bad, I loved the books. Yes, the little girl is the main character but still....

Paul Bettany didn't get the $ he wanted from New Line so his casting fell through. Kidman is their big ticket item and they felt they needed just that one. They decided to go cheaper on most of the main talent to keep the costs down. (though I'm wondering exactly how much Bettany wanted that they couldn't give) I wasn't all that thrilled with Bettany either though he at least had the height. But the build, coloring, age etc were all wrong as well.

MBE
    MBE_ wrote:
    The casting is mind boggling for me. I might have to start a CraigNotLordAsriel site. :p

Where have I read that joke before? ;)

I can see Craig over Bettany- he does have a bit more gravitas than Paul, but I still would have gone a little older. Still, I suppose they have to match Kidman's age. I think someone like Dalton was about right- especially with Patricia Hodge, although I wasn't sure about the Terence Stamp version- I didn't think he was right either.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    MBE_ wrote:
    The casting is mind boggling for me. I might have to start a CraigNotLordAsriel site. :p

Where have I read that joke before? ;)

LOL! I just saw that. :D
    I can see Craig over Bettany- he does have a bit more gravitas than Paul, but I still would have gone a little older. Still, I suppose they have to match Kidman's age. I think someone like Dalton was about right- especially with Patricia Hodge, although I wasn't sure about the Terence Stamp version- I didn't think he was right either.

Lord Asriel is older than Coulter in the book, in the book I believe she's actually younger than Kidman or at least supposed to look younger than she is, so there was no need to match ages. Dalton is far more fitting for the role, so is Cairan Hinds, Stamp and a myriad of other actors. Supposedly Pullman wanted Jason Isaacs, not that tall or phsyically powerful but he does have the gravitas and Asriel's dark looks.

MBE
    Yes, I can see Issacs doing that quite nicely. Perhaps they thought it a bit similar to his Harry Potter role? Or just that Craig is a bit hotter/higher profile. Either way I don't think he's entirely wrong for it, but he's not who I would have chosen.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    Indeed, came up yesterday: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5263658.stm

Hes very brave taking on two franchises- I think he's got the heavyweight feel for Asriel, although I preferred Asriel being slightly older.

www.CraigNotAsriel.com anyone? :D

:)) :)) :)) :)) {[]

Two words, emtiem: Pierce Brosnan. That is if he isn't too busy re-remaking Thunderball
    Not sure- I think Asriel has to be a bit gruffer than Brosnan. Connery would have been great; I even find myself thikinng of Patrick Stewart. Sean Bean could have been good too. I think Craig will be fine.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    I even find myself thikinng of Patrick Stewart. Sean Bean could have been good too. I think Craig will be fine.

I think Sean Bean would have been a good choice for Asriel, as would Gerard Butler ( I haven't mentioned him in a long time!). I'm sure Craig will be ok. I'm more concerned about Nicole Kidmans casting.

Tim Dalton was great on stage but I think he's too old now. He worked well with Patricia Hodge. One major difference though is that the actress who played Lyra was actually 22 at the time.

To appeal to the youngters I think they need a younger cast.
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Did anyone see the February issue of W Magazine? I guess "The Golden Compass" is one of their two collaborations this year, the other being the movie "The Invasion".

Great pic...of her. :)
    main_pict.jpg

Article here: http://www.style.com/w/feat_story/010307
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    What is his tattoo of?
    Monique wrote:

My goodness that's catty!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Monique, I agree that it is a great picture of her. I actually don't think that Nicole Kidman is all that attractive, but in that picture she comes across as IMO very good-looking. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Based on the position of his arm in that shot, looks like Craig managed to get tit AND tat!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Based on the position of his arm in that shot, looks like Craig managed to get tit AND tat!
    :)) :)) :))
    "Here he comes...here comes Hardy...he looks confident, he looks relaxed...very much the man in form."
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Actually, looking at that shot it seems that it's a photograph of Daniel Craig holding a painting of Nicole Kidman! I sense a little photoshop work going on...
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Monique wrote:
    Did anyone see the February issue of W Magazine? I guess "The Golden Compass" is one of their two collaborations this year, the other being the movie "The Invasion".

main_pict.jpg

Article here: http://www.style.com/w/feat_story/010307

That's a great shot...period ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    emtiem wrote:

Oh, here we go. No, it wasn't. Relax emtiem, she does look lovely in that picture.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Nicole looks very nice but either someone has been overenthusiastic with the "brush" tool on Photoshop, or she has a lifetime pass to her local Botox clinic. I have seen newborn babes with more lines on their face.

@merseytart
    Monique wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Oh, here we go. No, it wasn't. Relax emtiem, she does look lovely in that picture.

No; I'm talking about the cattiness that implies he wasn't looking good in the pic. Now that's catty! :)
    Nicole looks very nice but either someone has been overenthusiastic with the "brush" tool on Photoshop, or she has a lifetime pass to her local Botox clinic. I have seen newborn babes with more lines on their face.

Indeed- she's a painting in that picture! :D
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Here is a Corgi action-figure of Daniel Craig in The Golden Compass. Pretty good likeness, not sure about the hair colour though.

http://74.52.193.82/events/main.php?g2_itemld=10120

Some more figures here.

http://74.52.193.82/events/main.php?g2_itemld=10096
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    ...not sure about the hair colour though.

Dear God no, not again! :D

@merseytart
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    ...not sure about the hair colour though.

Dear God no, not again! :D

:)) Yes, we have had more than enough hair raising debates around here already.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    That reputable site Popb*tch has some rumours:

www.popbitch.com/board.html

Not looking good it says...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Here is a Corgi action-figure of Daniel Craig in The Golden Compass. Pretty good likeness, not sure about the hair colour though.

http://74.52.193.82/events/main.php?g2_itemld=10120

Not bad- could be better, but not bad at all. I can see that being used to make some custom Bond figures!
    Some footage here of Craig and Eva Green here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZA1omvS3MI
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Well here's a teaser trailer and it looks promising. Daniel Craig, Nicole BMX Bandits Kidman, Sam Elliot in cowboy mode, and a seriously cool talking polar bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK6MDIEQjMg
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007
    Golden Compass is officially a bomb in The US, although it appears to have done slightly better overseas. The picture nosedived taking in only 9 million overall at the box office this weekend, in only its second week of release. It appears the promoted combination of Craig and Kidmon is death at the box office as their other vehicle The Invasion also bombed.