Craig in The Golden Compass

2»

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    It's supposed to be the first of three movies. If they want this to happen they are going to have to hire a decent director. TGC was poor and word of mouth seems have spread pretty quickly. I doubt Craig and Kidman will be paired together any time soon.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    It appears the promoted combination of Craig and Kidmon is death at the box office as their other vehicle The Invasion also bombed.

You know Barry, I was just thinking that Nicole Kidman would make a great female lead in Bond 22... :v :))
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I haven't read the books, nor have I really heard anything about these stories other than via publicity articles and press junkets---looks like the 'atheism vs religion' controversy gambit certainly didn't help them, as conventional wisdom presumed it might---I'll likely wait until it hits DVD to conduct my own postmortem.

Perhaps it simply isn't that good, and direction is the problem...it might also be that TGC missed it's 'time' by a year or so, given the prolonged fantasy-laden LOTR binge the film industry's been on for the past few. The first 'Narnia' flick might have been the trailing edge of that wave; we'll have to watch how its follow-up performs.

Either way, it looks as if Craig won't be burdened with two ongoing franchises...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • cbdouble07cbdouble07 Posts: 132MI6 Agent
    Just saw it today with mixed opinions. I quite enjoyed the books but from what I'd heard about the movie and the previews I was anticipating being disappointed. Overall, the film felt rushed to me. Events rushed by very quickly and it felt like they skimped over parts of the book, something that's prevalent in a lot of movies based off of books. I realize that is part of the difficulty in translating novel to film but I felt they could have done much better at this. Some stuff felt underdeveloped and I felt if the film was a bit longer some of this could have been averted. I am also not a fan of changing things around from the book. In the film they changed the order of some of the major events from the book. Didn't affect the plot terribly but it bothered me. I was also a bit peeved that they ended the movie earlier than the book ended. They cut out the last chapter of the book, probably because it ended in a cliff hanger and who knows if there will be another film, but it was yet another thing that bugged me. Despite my complaints it wasn't a terrible film, just kind of average in my view. The books are much better.