member of the month

chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
A idea a thought of member of the month where one "random" member gets there profile highlighted maybe on the main forum page?

Comments

• JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Not a bad idea! It could be sort of a memorializing of their achievments!

Member of the Month:
    JennyFlexFan

Claim to Fame: Passionate Love for Jenny Flex/Alison Doody and 'A View to a Kill'

Why we love him: He's dedicated

Why we hate him: Too dedicated!

Quote: "Welcome sir, I'm Jenny Flex"
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Fun idea. You could post a picture of yourself and write a mini biography. It would be a great way to get to know the members on a more personal level.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    It would be a nice idea if it weren't so fraught with egos and tensions. There are over 5000 members. How would the person be chosen, for example? Randomly, possibly leading to someone with only one or two posts in 2004 getting their name in lights? At the whim of the mods, leading to grumbles of favouritism after six or seven months? On a poll of all the members, leading to lobbying? Based on number of posts in a time period, resulting in people posting "ooh, I agree" just to get their count up?

Not to mention the fact that there will always be people who complain because they haven't had a turn yet; because the person they dislike has had their name featured; because out of six Members of the Month, four have been anti-Craig, meaning that there is a hideous bias; because there have been six men so far and no women; because, because, because. Like the "ranks" for people with a certain number of posts (which were abandoned on this site), any singling out of members usually leads to fractures and dissent. How about we're all just members of AJB, in a giant, Communist-type people's collective, each equal and valid as the next member? Far nicer that way, I think.

And I'm not just saying this because, as a Mod, I'd be virtually guaranteed never to get a go :D
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    It's an interesting thought and I've tried something like it before. It was a kind of get to know the user. Which I think is a better angle than member of the month (for the many reasons Jetset has stated).

I will consider it, it would be purely based on member written content so there wouldn't be a way a random member with 2 posts from 2004 could take part (as they'd need to write a short biog).

Let me know if anyone would like to take control of the idea and we can work on it together. I want to build the community up so if help doesn't materialise then ideas will be ignored.
    Simon
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    ...There are over 5000 members. How would the person be chosen, for example?...
    Aw, so what, jetset? In 450 years we'll have covered them all. Come to think of it, that is a long time. I know -- let's do Member of the Week...then it'll only take a hundred. :D
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Well, I'd definitely base Member of the Anything on Post Count and how frequent they visit the site so we'd eliminate any member that just randomly joined and never posted or ever posted once or twice.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    I don't think that Post Count is a great idea. One reason being that there are several members whom I would be interested in knowing more about who have not as of yet made all that many posts.

If we do have a Member of the Whatever, could we ask the perspective Member to list their three, four or five favourite films? Obviously not everyone would have ranked all 23 films, but perhaps the perspective member could list their absolute favourite films.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    The trouble with using post counts to "rank" anyone is that the feature will quickly be abused. When the present version of AJB was launched a few years ago, there were different rankings that changed according to post count. They were meaningless and just for fun, but too many people either didn't like being titled "rookie agent" (or whatever) or seemed to think there was some kind of reward for reaching the top of the rankings (i.e., they'd automatically be made a Moderator), and so they posted a lot of meaningless junk to boost the count.

I wouldn't mind seeing something that would allow regular contributors to say more about themselves (as for favorite films, there's already a feature for that); but as for singling someone out as "Member of the Month" or "Most Valuable Poster" or whatnot, no thanks.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I personally believe that member of the month is not the right way, especially in title. I would favour more of a member spotlight, as Hardy mentions, a way to find out a little more about someone who wishes to participate. Not someone who has a gazillion posts.

The fairest way is to randomly pick members with say at least 5 posts, ask if they wish to participate and go from there. You have to remember that not everyone will want to take part.

In my opinion the emphasis of a 'competition' needs to be removed for it to even begin to work.
    Simon
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    I agree with Si,Jetset and Hardyboy.Let's not make this a contest, but rather something a member could do voluntarily.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Perhaps it would be effective to expand the Member Profile a bit? Add some other options, even allow some type of page that could show photos and the like? Maybe even have a thread within the Member's Profile that would allow other users to swap comments, and discuss with the Member. This would allow everyone to to share whatever they wish, and is accessible all the time. For instance, if I ever wanted to know about Willie Garvin, I could click on his profile and see what interesting things he posted about himself...I would find that he and I both share the same passion for beanie babies are something, and be able to discuss it in the 'Willie Garvin' thread found therein.
    Yeah, the member profile is a little vague, not to be comparative, but on CNB the member profile has oodles of things you can fill out, I wish the AJB one could be expanded a bit more, but no pressure to do so.
    Yeah, the member profile is a little vague, not to be comparative, but on CNB the member profile has oodles of things you can fill out, I wish the AJB one could be expanded a bit more, but no pressure to do so.

Maybe I will expand the member profile, but with what options? I quite like your idea Darenhat of the members topic, almost like a public questions and answers. I will look into doing that.
    Simon
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    I think Darenhat's idea of having an in-profile link to a thread about each member is a great one.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    I would find that he and I both share the same passion for beanie babies are something
    I'm intrigued... Do you? :D

My profile link would be dead boring, I confess, as it would probably read something along the lines of "Nothing to see here..." ;)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • MrsDallowayMrsDalloway Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    I agree with Si,Jetset and Hardyboy.Let's not make this a contest, but rather something a member could do voluntarily.

Splendid idea! And let me be first to volunteer myself for the post of Miss October. I feel I have all the qualities necessary for the job; adequately fulsome post count, reasonably entertaining posts that have somehow furthered the collective information pool and the key attribute of not posting so much that people become weary with one's contributions.

Do I get the job?
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent

Splendid idea! And let me be first to volunteer myself for the post of Miss October. I feel I have all the qualities necessary for the job; adequately fulsome post count, reasonably entertaining posts that have somehow furthered the collective information pool and the key attribute of not posting so much that people become weary with one's contributions.

Do I get the job?
    You've got my vote. But why the wait, when you can be Miss September? :)
  • MrsDallowayMrsDalloway Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    Oh, surely a full month at the very least.

'Member of the fortnight' doesn't have quite the same kudos.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    '07 is yours milady {[]
  • JonesJones Posts: 90MI6 Agent
    Hey, does this make me Miss November?
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    Jones wrote:
    Hey, does this make me Miss November?
    Wouldn't that require a sex change?

Unless, of course, you are British, as there is nothing we find funnier than a man dressed in women's clothing. A ripping good laugh. Apparently.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    Unless, of course, you are British, as there is nothing we find funnier than a man dressed in women's clothing.
    Especially if you've got a beard! :D
    unitedkingdom.png
    NO beard, but if it means anything I was Dr. Frank N. Furter in my senior high school play of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I also did "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "Morning Becomes Electra." They were all thrilling rides, our teacher was fascinated by O'Neil. Because we were in the fifth grade, none of ys really had done that much cocaine before, so we really didn't understand the connection. :))
    Does a 5 o'clock shadow count, at 3:30 in the afternoon?
  • chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    ok then what about if the members decide to choose who the member of the month is by placing there name here?
    I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem being any of the Miss months as I was once MISTAKEN for a woman on these forums. ;)

Come on Rogue, I'm offering you a free laugh here, now come and take it!
    I am wokring on the new profiles, what information do you want to be able to add? I have the usual stuff we have now, JFF I believe you mentioned more fields, but more of what?
    Simon
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    I always thought it would be fun to honor one single AJB member at the end of each year for his/her quality (not quantity) of posts as well as his/her personal conduct on the board. Here is how it could work:

1.) Each November, AJB members can send nomination PMs to SiCo naming who they think should be "AJB Member of the Year."

2.) The top five members receiving the most nomination votes move on to the final round.

3.) In December, a secure poll is set up in which each member receives 1 vote. I suppose this could also be handled via PM to prevent members from voting multiple times.

4.) At the end of the month, all votes are counted and the winner is revealed. Perhaps their title could be changed from "MI6 Agent" or "Chief of Staff" to "Member of the Year 2007."

This idea is certainly open for change. For instance, we may want to limit the time people can both nominate and vote (say a week rather than a whole month). Also, we may want to set up some voter qualificatons, such as you must have been registered by January 2007 to be elligible.

What do you think?
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Excellent idea Tee Hee! I'm definitely one of the only his/her's around here ;).

Anyway, I PM'ed Si, and was thinking about doing a thing similar, but open to all. I was thinking about doing an interview series where I email out questions to a member and they respond, and I post it in the articles section, that way all the posters can really get to know their fellow members.

It could also tie in to the whole member of the month thing, as members could read the interviews and judge, I would have my own Barbara Walter's Oscar Special! ;)

I hope to start this soon, but I'm awaiting Si's okay.
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Tee Hee wrote:
    I always thought it would be fun to honor one single AJB member at the end of each year for his/her quality (not quantity) of posts as well as his/her personal conduct on the board. Here is how it could work:

1.) Each November, AJB members can send nomination PMs to SiCo naming who they think should be "AJB Member of the Year."

2.) The top five members receiving the most nomination votes move on to the final round.

3.) In December, a secure poll is set up in which each member receives 1 vote. I suppose this could also be handled via PM to prevent members from voting multiple times.

4.) At the end of the month, all votes are counted and the winner is revealed. Perhaps their title could be changed from "MI6 Agent" or "Chief of Staff" to "Member of the Year 2007."

This idea is certainly open for change. For instance, we may want to limit the time people can both nominate and vote (say a week rather than a whole month). Also, we may want to set up some voter qualificatons, such as you must have been registered by January 2007 to be elligible.

What do you think?

This all seems very formal and I'm not at all sure about any system that has voting involved - that turns it into a competition with all the rivalries and abuse such contests inevitably invite.

Member of the Month (or similar) has been suggested many times before and I’ve always been against any such form of competition; but I have to say I like JFF’s idea of making it part of the feature article section and turning it into a pattern question & answer interview. That way we’d see various members thoughts on similar subjects. As to how the candidates are chosen – how about leaving it up to the mods? They’re from different backgrounds and have a broad range of opinion and it would still be possible for anyone to PM a mod suggesting their choice of member and reasons why they’d like to know more about that individual. It would then of course be up to the selectee whether or not to participate.

My only concern would be in giving any one person the job of interviewer, which might easily lead to it's own ego implications. Wouldn't it be possible for a pattern interview (with scope for individual interpretation) to be written and sent to each candidate to fill-in? That way, the job of editor/interviewer could be anonymous and pass to anyone who was suitable and available.