'You Know My Name' - discussion

Comments

• delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    it worked for me and i like it...more drums and hes in better tune on his higher notes with a much less sreaming ending...it really has grown on me as a song
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    what Karlito wrote about Chris Cornell was very informative, I didn't know much about him before.
    But U2 can make both ballads and rock. "Goldeneye" was made to be a very tradisjonal Bond title song, and U2 delivered the goods. I would have loved a U2 title song for CR that reminded me of "Live and let die" and "Kill me, kiss me ...." for Batman Forever.
    I bought "Call of the search" with Katie Melua this week. If they don't use her music in a future Bond movie, it will be a crime. Listen to "Blame it on the moon", it is very bondian.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,709MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Apparently there's a new version of the song with slightly different lyrics and more orchestration on Cornell's MySpace site here: http://www.myspace.com/chriscornell

Won't load for me.

I've heard it now thanks to a naughty link on MI6 and it is an entirely different version. Seems to be using a full proper orchestra (unlike the first version which I'm sure is all synthesised) with much more brass (notably in the first verse) and a lot less guitar, which actually makes it feel a bit less pacy. Some different vocals too, including a very different 'diamond' line.

I'm not sure I prefer it yet, but I'd imagine it is the one we'll be hearing on the credits.
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Hmm the new version - not sure. I could do with a higher quality version to be honest. The orchestration is much better, but the vocals don't feel quite as strong.
    I listened to the new version and I have to say I
    disliked the new version less than the first one.
    I think the verse (where he sings more quickly) is the main problem. A singer with a more distinctive voise would also be good.
  • KarlitoKarlito Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Well, YESSSSS I LIKE THIS VERSION A LOOOOOOOT! Just perfect for the Bond movie! I suppose that this will be the final version of the track, so can't wait to see the movie! just perfect! Orchestra sounds better, no stupid guitars and drum-machine like drums, just great! The version on the myspace.com is much better than the one I've heard before!!!!
  • VirgilVirgil Posts: 99MI6 Agent
    Actually, to me both versions sound like demos. Neither sounds like a polished studio recording. The strings and brass are not well balanced with the rest of the sounds, and don´t sound real to me. I wouldn´t be surprised if they used a completely different version for the movie.
    I like the song though. I find myself humming the chorus quite frequently.
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    About the new version (more orchestral one)

the good thing about this version is that i doesn`t hear very Chris Cornell as the previous one. I explain myself, when put someone to listen "You Know My Name", people said to me " hey, isn't that Chris Cornell? Is that the new audoslave song?", then i anwer that is the Bond song, after a while, they said... yeah, kinda sound like that (others said the opposite)

With this version, people will ask, that sound like Chris Cornell?, but it sound more classical than his previous works... wait, thats migth be a Bond song...

The slight change in the lyrics make me thing that probably he will hold or point a diamond in the video (or even in the main titles) which it will explain the direct reference to a diamond in the song.

My opinion: It sound better, but sadly, it isn't aviable with a better quality... and the intro could be more cords or trumpets than the guittar, the rest of the song sounds way better (can`t say the same about the vocals, you can tell the difference) but yes, i preffer this new version but i'm looking to heard the no vocals one
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    I really enjoy the more orchestral version; glad they took my advice :)) Still, I miss the rawness of Cornell's voice in the previous one...

This one sounds more like a 'Bond' movie theme. :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    The guy's voice still drives me up the wall. I've heard complaints about Sheryl Crow's screeching, but IMO this is just as bad. There are notes in that song that Cornell should simply avoid.
  • KarlitoKarlito Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    The guy's voice still drives me up the wall. I've heard complaints about Sheryl Crow's screeching, but IMO this is just as bad. There are notes in that song that Cornell should simply avoid.

Concerning the voice, like it or not that is the voice that Chriss Cornell has, there will be no other one, and that is the fact!

If we read all the posts in this discussion, we'll come to the decision, that this (and all the other bond themes from the last period) should be more like a bond song, should not sound like Cornell (Crow, Madonna, etc.), 'cause we don't like the way their voices sound, there should be more orchestra, should be written by D. Arnold etc. etc. In this case Sony in cooperation with David Arnold MUST create a spacial computer program, which will be able to synthesize a perfect bond theme for bond 22 (23, 24, 25 etc.) that will be more Arnold, more orchestra, more BOND, but.. those songs should be all very much identical! :)

The whole idea of asking different musicians to write a bond song is that those songs must be different, written and performed by different artists, who will bring their flavour and style to the song, and THAT IS THE POINT.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    I actually like the first version better.

I like the song a lot, but I just don't know if it fits well with what they're trying to do with the PTS.
    "Verdens Gang" (VG), Norway's best-selling newspaper, reviewed "You know my name" today.
    the song got a 4 out of 6 possible points.
    They called it one of the roughest Bond songs ever. "Good, but no Bond classic."
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    What happened to the art of writing simple but haunting, memorable melodies? It seems that many of today's songwriters have lost it.

I just had to listen to a song like "Nobody Does It Better" once and the melody would stick in my head for years. I've listened to YKMN ten times in a row, and already I'm having some trouble humming the melody. This is just a plain, forgettable rock song.
  • OnatoppOnatopp Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    I'm honestly surprised- I really quite like it. A lot better than Die Another Die. Each time I play it off of You Tube it begains grow on me more. I am looking forward to seeing the video on MTV Monday.-{
  • ant007ukant007uk Great BritainPosts: 67MI6 Agent
    FINALLY, I've managed to listen to the bloody thing. What can I say?? It takes a few listens, but eventually it grew on me. It's not your classic Bond theme and certainly not the best one I've ever heard. However, compared to Madges complete bag of crap she produced for DAD, it's a fecking masterpiece.

Ant.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    I thought the video was on MTV Tuesday October 31st at 10 AM eastern? No?
    edited October 2006
    I just saw it.

It's pretty good. It shows some new footage from the movie. There are quite a few scenes in which Bond is bloodied a bit, and there's one scene in particular in which he's in the bathroom while bloodied (assumingly after the stairwell fight) in which he's drinking a glass of whiskey (his literary Bourbon habit, perhaps)? It was a nice looking scene, conveys the "humanizing" of Bond we've been hearing about.

They showed brief clips of the Madagascar scene (including brief clips of the snake fight), the stairwell fight, and the Venice chase.

Cornell's gig is as a traveling musician who's tiring of the job. It kind of ties in, but I'm a little disappointed.

They used the mix from Cornell's MySpace page, which sounds pretty good when it's cleaned up, but I prefer the original mix.
  • Pierce007Pierce007 Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    Yup the video was pretty good. This movie looks like it's going to deliver in terms of being grittier or at least more violent. They show the Aston crashing and Bond slumped over the wheel and then him waking up bloodied and battered in the hospital. In one brief shot it looks like he's sobbing in the shower too so it definitely looks like we're getting a more human Bond. I'm seriously tired of waiting, the 17th can't come soon enough.
    Pierce007 wrote:
    Yup the video was pretty good. This movie looks like it's going to deliver in terms of being grittier or at least more violent. They show the Aston crashing and Bond slumped over the wheel and then him waking up bloodied and battered in the hospital. In one brief shot it looks like he's sobbing in the shower too so it definitely looks like we're getting a more human Bond. I'm seriously tired of waiting, the 17th can't come soon enough.

No kidding on the violence? The stairwell scene looks even more violent than I imagined.

How about that shot of Vesper looked scared as hell?
    Yea, honestly the video was much better than I expected and they were surprisingly linear in the clips they showed. Honestly, without starting an argument I think that DC is going to do something really special with his stint as Bond and I can't wait to see it.
    Pierce007 wrote:
    Yea, honestly the video was much better than I expected and they were surprisingly linear in the clips they showed. Honestly, without starting an argument I think that DC is going to do something really special with his stint as Bond and I can't wait to see it.

One thought that I had while watching it, particularly the bathroom scene:

I get the sense that Craig is really able to slip into the darker, more human elements of the literary character very well. The bathroom scene in particular, I think, is something you would most certainly see in Fleming's Bond. He pulls off the scene very well: the reflection on himself and his life, the drink, the cuts and scars, and you get this very subdued sense of weariness and self-questioning from him. I think that, while Craig's Bond will be similiar in spirit to Dalton's Bond in that it will be darker and more inclusive of the literary character, this is where the two will diverge: Craig's will be more subtle (which you really get more of a sense of from the literary character), while Dalton's was a bit more "wirey."

And while Craig is able to do this, and it seems it fits well within the story of CR, I don't know if he'll be able to fit with the traditional cinematic Bond. This won't be as much of a problem for me, but this could definitely be a problem for a lot of people.

We'll see, though.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    For international viewers, it's been YouTubed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_bK1IHTr5E

Not impressed with the video: Cornell's part seems to come from a completely different world to CR. The film seems bloodied, brutal and shocking; Cornell seems to be suffering from angst because he's not very happy at being adored in rock stadiums (put next to almost running your girlfriend over in a fast car or murdering several people in unpleasant manner and it looks excessively overwrought). And now that I have grown to sort of like the "original" mix of YKMN, this new mix sounds alien and not right all over again.

Has anyone got any idea when it will be available through iTunes etc, and when it will be available to purchase in stores?
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    I'd imagine that you'll probably be able to buy it as a single in stores the day the official soundtrack comes out or the day CR premieres.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Agree with Jet Set, I haven't like the song from the get go and the video's dark, gritty (yes that word again) is a turn off. Certainly doesn't look like an upbeat movie. In some of the trailer clips the color jumps off the screen and I thought that was good, but this is all dark and depressing. Bond movies, IMO, should be fun, this looks like a different animal. I know, I know, some of you folks want that, but I don't think the majority of the public does. But hey, I could be wrong.
  • jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    Certainly doesn't look like an upbeat movie.

You're going to be even more disappointed if you thought it was supposed to be. This, like OHMSS, is a Bond tragedy.

Now, about the video, I didn't think the Cornell parts were great, but I got a rush every time I saw a clip from CR. This film looks so deliciously dark, and intelligently so, too.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited November 2006
    Fortunuately, there are plenty of Bond offerings for those who enjoy comedy---and also many selections for those who enjoy the more outlandish, OTT angle of Our Hero...but this time, it appears we are getting a more thoroughbred, literary-inspired take---and I'm looking forward to it :007) It's about time...

The video is...a movie tie-in music video, with the requisite intercutting between the artist and clips from the film in question (personally, my favourite of these is Garbage's TWINE theme---a cool video, that!). I confess I like the first, more 'raw', version of Cornell's song, but this one works for me as well.

The look on Bond's face as he tries to drown Fisher is...perfect, and the film clips they've selected seem to be all about reflection on the act of killing---gone, for this entry, is the notion of Death Without Consequence, and I think it will lend new life to the franchise...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    As much as I try, I cant like this song. It still sounds like nothing but a row to me. As for the video, its ok. Nice to see the new scenes, but its just the usual movie/song tie in stuff.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,709MI6 Agent
    The video is...a movie tie-in music video, with the requisite intercutting between the artist and clips from the film in question (personally, my favourite of these is Garbage's TWINE theme---a cool video, that!).

Yes, that was a good video, but to be honest as a Bond fan I'm quite glad they didn't try to make a great standalone video this time as I like watching clips of James Bond! :D
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Lady Rose wrote:
    As much as I try, I cant like this song.
    Neither can I. Ironically, despite initially thinking this new more orchestral theme was a slight improvement, I actually now think it's worse - it's now lacking a decent baseline to carry his voice and some of the note changes in the lyrics seem a bit cumbersome. Oh well, can't have it all I suppose.

As for the video...it's OK. Nothing great, nothing awful. I do like the little clip of Bond walking into a hotel room in his tux, then he blurs out in favour of the broken wine glass in the foreground. That's quite classy. Clips from the film are pretty cool, but what's-his-face rock man interspersed is pretty forgettable though.
    unitedkingdom.png