New Interview with Craig- The Times

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    I don't remember Dalton ever lighting up the printed page, polite though he was, and we got through that okay. Craig has one iffy one in amoungst a load of very servicable ones in which he talks about the film very well and apparently he 'IS going to lose'! :D

Dalton, to my rememberance, always had something interesting to say. He may not have liked doing an 'interview' but he certainly seemed capable of having an intelligent conversation...even if he didn't care for the topic.

To me it's not a matter of 'does he swear like Bond' or 'does he not come off as Bond'. That's silly to me. It's a CRAIG interview, and the of an interview is to convey something about the subject to the audience. I have yet to learn ANYTHING from an interviw with Craig that makes me want to A)know more about him or hear what he thinks/feels about a particular topic or B) want to see him perform his craft on film/stage whatever. I don't blame Craig for disliking interviews, I don't blame Craig for having a potty-mouth, but I do blame Craig for wasting his time, the interviewer's time, and my time on subjecting us to such bland journalistic fare.

I've actually found most of recent interviews to quite interesting; especially on the subject of Bond. As I said earlier in this thread I think, all that fun stuff about how he sees why Bond really wears expensive suits, about what being a double-O really means; he's been thinking about the role and it really shows. And he's shown huge enthusiasm for the actual process of making a great film; I'm not sure what's lacking ot be honest. I've quite enjoyed his viewpoints on it. I don't think they've been at that bad. This one wasn't great, mostly because I found the way he talked about his past career rather disappointing; but it's been the only bad one recently (unless swearing gets to you). He's no raconteur, but he gives an intelligent, workmanlike interview.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    emtiem wrote:
    darenhat wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    I don't remember Dalton ever lighting up the printed page, polite though he was, and we got through that okay. Craig has one iffy one in amoungst a load of very servicable ones in which he talks about the film very well and apparently he 'IS going to lose'! :D

Dalton, to my rememberance, always had something interesting to say. He may not have liked doing an 'interview' but he certainly seemed capable of having an intelligent conversation...even if he didn't care for the topic.

To me it's not a matter of 'does he swear like Bond' or 'does he not come off as Bond'. That's silly to me. It's a CRAIG interview, and the of an interview is to convey something about the subject to the audience. I have yet to learn ANYTHING from an interviw with Craig that makes me want to A)know more about him or hear what he thinks/feels about a particular topic or B) want to see him perform his craft on film/stage whatever. I don't blame Craig for disliking interviews, I don't blame Craig for having a potty-mouth, but I do blame Craig for wasting his time, the interviewer's time, and my time on subjecting us to such bland journalistic fare.

I've actually found most of recent interviews to quite interesting; especially on the subject of Bond. As I said earlier in this thread I think, all that fun stuff about how he sees why Bond really wears expensive suits, about what being a double-O really means; he's been thinking about the role and it really shows. And he's shown huge enthusiasm for the actual process of making a great film; I'm not sure what's lacking ot be honest. I've quite enjoyed his viewpoints on it. I don't think they've been at that bad. This one wasn't great, mostly because I found the way he talked about his past career rather disappointing; but it's been the only bad one recently (unless swearing gets to you). He's no raconteur, but he gives an intelligent, workmanlike interview.

You may be right, but I've only seen really really bland interviews. Admittedly, in some cases the fault lies with the interviewer *cough* Katie Couric *cough* But when you've been through a barrage of interviews, you typically know, or can predict, what kind of questions you're going to get. You would think that as time passes, and the interview subject had more time to contemplate the various questions, and as time reveals new experiences regarding those questions, that more interesting answers would begin to emerge. I simply haven't seen this happening with Craig. That's not to say he'll put in a poor performance as Bond...I simply don't dash out to read the latest that he has to say (which would explain why I miss out on the 'good' interviews).
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    I think a good example of some of the thinking behind the casting of Craig can be displayed in these photos:

http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?ref=craig%20111006&version=int&session_id=13e2de606867eb5d6465a80396a86e4a

As the British would say (and as his character was referred to numerous times in Layer Cake), Daniel is quite "flash." He exudes a style that resonates with the young 18-35 demographic, particularly that which resides in urban areas: the blazer and dark jeans, the collared dress shirt, and he even takes it a step further with the vest and tie. He wasn't named the World's Best Dressed Man by Esquire for no reason. The man himself has an impeccable sense of style.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Couldn't agree more about his style. The man knows how to dress.
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    But..but..but...a suit vest and jacket with jeans???? Am I nuts that is a "Glamour Don't"?
    I quite like it. It's casual but formal. Plus the jeans are dark enough to look classy.
    Three piece suits are going back in style big time.
    Monique wrote:
    But..but..but...a suit vest and jacket with jeans???? Am I nuts that is a "Glamour Don't"?

We're not talking about glamour. We're talking about cool.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    superado wrote:
    I can see this being true and if it is, what an irony when looking back to Lazenby. The younger, "hip" crowd now, is a cyclical reflection of the younger, "hip," and IMO, genuinely edgier crowd of 1969. Judging by his comments on the eventual demise of Bond with the advent of "Easy Rider," his preference for Blood, Sweat and Tears to do the Bond theme (which kind of happened with LALD), and the defiant sporting of a beard at the OHMSS Premier, Lazenby seemed to personally embrace the trappings of that generation, vs. the more refined sensiblities that the producers were trying to maintain at that time. So, if EON is indeed making a paradigm shift in trying to capture the X-factor of today's culture, some may view EON as finally catching up with the times; on the other hand, others might see this as selling out (which is by no means new to EON).

But isn't turning up to your star appearance as tidy-haired, suited servant of the crown James Bond in a beard a little too little too late? I mean, he publically made loads of cash in a silly pop culture film playing a civil servant. It's called 'On Her Majesy's Secret Service' ! Not exactly the Sex Pistols' 'God Save the Queen': he'd sold out before he even started.

How exactly did he sell out and by what standards? I was talking about flashes of irreverance, defiance and just plain attitude on Lazenby's part, in response to Blueman's comment on Craig...how did we get to the subject of selling out? Once a hippie aquires gainful employment, has he sold out? If yes, then we are talking about two different things, but where you've taken it is just plain silly. 8-)
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:

We're not talking about glamour. We're talking about cool.

I like Craig and I like him as Bond. But if that getup is the epitome of what's cool today -- all I can say is WOW -- am I ever behind the times. :)) :s But you've got to be right, Klaus, because I don't see how a sane individual could wear two pieces of a three-piece suit with jeans without a damn good reason. I'm just too far removed from the 18-35 demographic to get it. In my defense, I've always understood the short, spiky haircut which so many have found fault with. I see enough of that on the street.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited October 2006
    I'm with you, HH---I understand the spiky hair, because I wear mine that way, B-) :)) but I can't begin to comprehend how jeans and 2/3 of a three-piece suit is 'cool.' Then again, fashion has always evaded me.

I do know this, though: It might pass for cool on Daniel Craig, who's regarded as a snappy dresser, but I could never get away with it :# :))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited October 2006
    highhopes wrote:
    I like Craig and I like him as Bond. But if that getup is the epitome of what's cool today -- all I can say is WOW -- am I ever behind the times. :)) :s

You aren't behind the times highhopes..trust me, it's not cool!

I got this from GQ :

"Currently a suit jacket and weskit goes with suit pants, never with jeans or chinos. If you want a casual jacket, buy a sport-coat or a blazer. Stand-up comedians are regularly shot over this rule."

Good thing Craig isn't a stand up comedian! :))

Or wait...maybe he is. ;)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Radical thought of the evening: general movie-going audiences care more about the movie than interviews. This all seems more important to us than anybody else...but maybe ben's right and Craig's attitude balloons to Macy's Parade float-size...who knows? At this point, it all seems a bit of not much IMO. CR opens in a month, the PR machine is in full swing, it's just one more thing putting Bond out there front and center for folks.
    edited October 2006
    Huh?

Cult? Absolute perfection? You lost me...:s
    superado wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    superado wrote:
    I can see this being true and if it is, what an irony when looking back to Lazenby. The younger, "hip" crowd now, is a cyclical reflection of the younger, "hip," and IMO, genuinely edgier crowd of 1969. Judging by his comments on the eventual demise of Bond with the advent of "Easy Rider," his preference for Blood, Sweat and Tears to do the Bond theme (which kind of happened with LALD), and the defiant sporting of a beard at the OHMSS Premier, Lazenby seemed to personally embrace the trappings of that generation, vs. the more refined sensiblities that the producers were trying to maintain at that time. So, if EON is indeed making a paradigm shift in trying to capture the X-factor of today's culture, some may view EON as finally catching up with the times; on the other hand, others might see this as selling out (which is by no means new to EON).

But isn't turning up to your star appearance as tidy-haired, suited servant of the crown James Bond in a beard a little too little too late? I mean, he publically made loads of cash in a silly pop culture film playing a civil servant. It's called 'On Her Majesy's Secret Service' ! Not exactly the Sex Pistols' 'God Save the Queen': he'd sold out before he even started.

How exactly did he sell out and by what standards? I was talking about flashes of irreverance, defiance and just plain attitude on Lazenby's part, in response to Blueman's comment on Craig...how did we get to the subject of selling out? Once a hippie aquires gainful employment, has he sold out? If yes, then we are talking about two different things, but where you've taken it is just plain silly. 8-)

You were talking about 'selling out' first; not me. If Lazenby was some kind of edgy punk hero embracing the feelings of the time he shouldn't have done a Bond film; Bond ain't at all rocky. If he saw himself as some kind of rebel then he'd already sold out by taking 'the man's buck to portray a character who is against what you're saying he stood for. Wearing a beard does not Easy Rider make you; it's hardly suberversive or edgy to play James Bond, no matter what you wear to the premiere. It's silly to suggest otherwise.
    Monique wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    I like Craig and I like him as Bond. But if that getup is the epitome of what's cool today -- all I can say is WOW -- am I ever behind the times. :)) :s

I got this from GQ :

"Currently a suit jacket and weskit goes with suit pants, never with jeans or chinos. If you want a casual jacket, buy a sport-coat or a blazer. Stand-up comedians are regularly shot over this rule."

It's been very fashionable in London the past couple of years (as long as you wear the right kind of jacket and quality jeans- yer Jeremy Clarkson-type jacket-and-jeans is quite different! :) ), although I think it's slipping as a look now.
    In fact, Craig carries off the jacket and jeans look I'm talking about in Layer Cake quite a lot, as I remember.
    benskelly wrote:
    And Em - since one of your subtle sarcasms was aimed at my statement that he "WILL lose" if he gets into a running fight with the press and a reputation for being difficult: why don't you tell me one actor who has gotten into it with the press and come out the winner. Just one.

I wasn't sarcastic towards you; I've only used sarcasm twice recently; I hate it. It's lazy- I don't use it as a rule. I simply laughed at your apparent statement of fact which implies you can predict the future. If you can find other instances of me being sarcastic then feel free to show me; until then don't use that as another of in the stack of insults.

As for actors who don't get on with the press; I dunno- Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford never seem to be enjoying it; Jones in particular never leaves the interviewer anything but cold as I've seen. De Niro gets into fights with film press- most notably Barry Norman. Of course these are bigger actors than Craig; but most actors are. Perhaps I've read frosty interviews with other actors of his ilk but I tend not to remember them; it's an intrinsic part of the question.
    Monique wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

I got this from GQ :

Good find, Monique. GQ's fashion rules are for the everyman, however. I still think that if you can pull off something that GQ says no to, by all means do it.
    blueman wrote:
    Radical thought of the evening: general movie-going audiences care more about the movie than interviews. This all seems more important to us than anybody else...but maybe ben's right and Craig's attitude balloons to Macy's Parade float-size...who knows? At this point, it all seems a bit of not much IMO. CR opens in a month, the PR machine is in full swing, it's just one more thing putting Bond out there front and center for folks.

Then why did you take such offense to Pierce's interview in Playboy?? You were appalled that he swore, even accused him of having Tourette's, but it's just one more point for coolness in Craig's book. :s You are quite the spin doctor, you should go into politics blue.

And emtiem, if you have only used sarcasm twice (cough) lately than I'll gladly wear a suit jacket, tie and vest with jeans.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    It's been very fashionable in London the past couple of years
    I'm glad it never made it out of London then - it's a dreaful look. Truly dreadful.
    unitedkingdom.png
    Monique wrote:
    And emtiem, if you have only used sarcasm twice (cough) lately than I'll gladly wear a suit jacket, tie and vest with jeans.

It's easy to cast aspersions but less easy to back it up. Don't say it unless you can prove it.
    emtiem wrote:
    It's been very fashionable in London the past couple of years
    I'm glad it never made it out of London then - it's a dreaful look. Truly dreadful.

Nah- it's pretty common and quite pleasant. The Adam character from Spooks does it all the time and makes it look pretty sharp. I've not seen it done with a tie before and I'm really not sure that's working; but generally its pretty good, although as I say, isn't as fashionable as it was last year or the year before.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

I got this from GQ :

Actually, upon further reflection, Craig's get-up may not be as whacked as I first thought. There is a precedent for it among my generation's hippies, some of whom liked mixing Edwardian clothing with their jeans and stuff like that. It might not have been widespread, but it was thought of as daring and cool by many people.
    Monique wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

I got this from GQ :

As far as fashion tips go, GQ is ****all comapred to Esquire.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    Monique wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

I got this from GQ :

As far as fashion tips go, GQ is ****all comapred to Esquire.

The Esquire that had Saddam Hussein on the same Best Dressed list this year? :D

The look is goofy and affected. That and this particular ensemble is just not attractive -- a grey suit jacket and vest that has a pink check pattern with a dark blue tie with diagonal white stripes topping off a pair of jeans. Yuck.

MBE
    edited October 2006
    Monique wrote:
    blueman wrote:

Then why did you take such offense to Pierce's interview in Playboy?? You were appalled that he swore, even accused him of having Tourette's, but it's just one more point for coolness in Craig's book. :s You are quite the spin doctor, you should go into politics blue.

I think you must have missed my ealier posts re verbal abuse and excessive behaviors. Not seeing anything in this interview remotely like how Brosnan responded in that Playboy interview, that was a full-scale meltdown coupled with a (justified or not) vicious public attack on his former employers, IMO. Big difference from how Craig presents and a nasty side of anyone's character to see...but I've posted on this before ad nauseum, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about it.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    Monique wrote:
    blueman wrote:

I think you must have missed my ealier posts re verbal abuse and excessive behaviors. Not seeing anything in this interview remotely like how Brosnan responded in that Playboy interview, that was a full-scale meltdown, IMO. Big difference from how Craig presents...but I've posted on this before ad nauseum, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about it.

I doubt Mo missed your statement. It's more likely that what you deem verbal abuse and excessive behaviour seems to some of us to be severely skewed and biased. Brosnan in Playboy (an adult magazine) referring to people he's known for years as f*****s because he believes the way they handled a situation was "cold and juvenile" in one small paragraph of a 6 page interview you think is some excessive vicious attack and meltdown. Whereas Craig in the midst of getting soft soaped and coddled by a journalist from The Times he doesn't even know refers to the guy as a c*** for asking a pretty benign question and you think that's just cool. So it's alright to curse at people to their face who've done nothing wrong to you but wrong to use matter of fact vulgarity describing people you think treated you like crap. Oh that makes sense. By that rationale when Craig said to the ilk of CNB "screw 'em" that was an excessive vulgar attacking meltdown because it was personal. Puhlease.

MBE
    edited October 2006
    Like I said, guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I do agree that Craig's "Screw 'em" comment would be verbal abuse. Don't agree that that two word toss-off-and-moving-on equals Brosnan's repeated attacks on his former employers. But like you said, that's probably just me: Craig flipped a dirt clod over his shoulder; Brosnan pulled out an Uzi, and reloaded it from time to time.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited October 2006
    As the proud bearer of Craig's "Screw 'em" comment in my signature, I'll point out that he only said it after being prompted by the puff-piece chick who was interviewing him. SHE said 'screw 'em,' and Craig basically agreed: "Screw 'em, yeah."

...And, since he was basically referring to the CnB crowd, I think this response was...uncharacteristically measured :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, that is true Loeff, I saw that interview too, she did put those words in his mouth. He simply agreed.

I really could give a sh!t if Craig swears. I was pointing out the hypocrisy of condemning one and putting the other on a pedestal for the same blasted thing. No matter how you twist and tweak the meanings, or reasons behind it...call a spade, a spade.

And emtiem, sorry but I have neither the patience, nor the time to scroll through your thousands of posts to prove your last examples of sarcasm.
  • ChristianneChristianne Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    MBE_ wrote:
    Whereas Craig in the midst of getting soft soaped and coddled by a journalist from The Times he doesn't even know refers to the guy as a c*** for asking a pretty benign question and you think that's just cool. So it's alright to curse at people to their face who've done nothing wrong to you but wrong to use matter of fact vulgarity describing people you think treated you like crap. Oh that makes sense.
    MBE

From this perspective, and having read the article again, I find Daniel Craig's conduct towards the journalist to be irrational and bizarre. It's an overall unflattering picture of Craig. He's prone to nervous laughter as he utters profanity, and his sudden shifts in temperament suggests he can't handle the media spotlight. The media/promotional aspect is clearly not his forte, although recently he seemed to be improving. But the portrait of Barbara Broccoli in this article is equally bizarre. Although her intention is to be humorous and sarcastic, she comes across as somebody who has snapped as she gaily explains that they are "completely controlling and interfering" and that (according to their father) it's okay for them to screw it up, "but not someone else." It's as if she's slowly admitting that they may have produced a defective product with Daniel Craig. But we are where we are, and all we can do is wait and see; but I have no sympathy for EON. Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson knew the criticism against Craig and went with him anyway.