New Craig promo shots

Comments

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Ah, now I get you. You know, I still sometimes have trouble seeing him as Bond. I think it'll change when the film comes out. For me, when it does come out I hope he'll prove to me that he is Bond, not just Daniel Craig.

Interestingly enough though, when I read the novels, I picture Craig.
  • SharpeSharpe Posts: 84MI6 Agent
    I would also like to know if the PPK is only in the publicity shots. It doesn't appear in the trailer? I always thought the ppk looked much better than the awful looking 'updated' gun.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited October 2006
    Sorry to sound dim, but is that "multiple faces" shot three pictures spliced together, or three mirrors reflecting one image?

Actually, JSW, I think Craig is posed in front of those mirrors---hence the blurred image in the foreground.

Thanks to IEU2D for posting these; they all look very much like Bond to me. I was asked to believe Roger Moore was the same person as Sean Connery, you see :v This isn't a bother at all. B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    I think he looks good in that 3 side mirror shot..actually flattering angles!

But....

Disclaimer:

NOW please..no one take offense to this. I'm just teasing, not trying to be like CNB! But, I kept thinking in the very last shot with his lips pursed....who does he remind me of? Who? Who?

http://gfx.filmweb.pl/ph/76/42/107642/87500.1.jpg

WHOVILLE?

Yep..that's who! The Grinch :)) C'mon! Am I the only one who sees it? :))

TWO-SIZES-TOO-SMALL.jpg

I don't mean to cause Dan any dark days if he should come here some night he can't sleep...just having a little fun. ;)
  • 742617000027742617000027 Posts: 25MI6 Agent
    Class pictures. A break from the black haired stern look is nice. Craig looks tough, but he looks like a smarter James Bond :).

Can't wait for CR. I think Craig is a smooth actor, and this is my first 'new actor' Bond movie, so I can't wait :D.
    ...this is my first 'new actor' Bond movie, so I can't wait :D.

Get used to it ;) {[]
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I was asked to believe Roger Moore was the same person as Sean Connery, you see :v This isn't a bother at all. B-)

{[] {[] {[] {[] {[]

Or that Pierce Brosnan, with his sunken chest and narrow shoulders, could lick his own lips, much less a half-dozen of the master villain's henchmen.

Compared to that, visualizing Craig as Bond is a lead-pipe cinch. 'Bout time Eon cast a man to play Bond. :D

There just aren't enough smileys in cyberspace to express how much I agree with your post, Loeff.

(And I don't want to hear any whining out there about dissing poor Pierce or Roger. Don't be dishin' it out if you can't take it ... )
    edited October 2006
    ;)
  • glidroseglidrose Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    benskelly wrote:
    BTW, has anyone actually seen him grin or even smirk yet? Do we know he can change expression?

I don't recall any grinning pics of Brosnan during promo shots either.....
  • Cmdr_EgorunamuckCmdr_Egorunamuck Posts: 22MI6 Agent
    I haven't counted the number of times Pierce has appeared shirtless, but in Goldeneye he had a fair physique in the pool. Better a trim Bond than one with bulging biceps.

I like Steve McQueen, whom Craig resembles. But he couldn't be a top-level Bond. You can't have a bald Superman, a cutey Batman and I don't agree that an actor's looks can be overlooked, especially with a character who's supposed to look good in a tux.

And I've heard that baccarat is being replaced by poker (Texas hold-em)!!!! I wasn't planning to boycott the film, but this is the armpits.

"Surely, you're joking!!?"
    "Don't call me Shirley."
  • acenavigator1acenavigator1 Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    I seem to recall the muscles on Sean Connery - and I do think Craig is more in that league. In terms of not doing it for you - no Bond has 'done it' for me since Connery - It took me a long time to come to terms with Moore, same reason, I looked at the photos of him and saw Simon Templar or worst still Brett Sinclair. Brosnan always looked to me like a slightly darker haired Moore. Craig looks to me more like a Connery. And hey they're studio shots so of course they're posing. Personally about his pouting mouth - it looks very kissable to me.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    I think these are great shots but I agree that we have yet to see Craig demonstrate a 'twinkle' (for want of a better expression).

He does 'hard' really well but I want to see that he can do the lighter side as well (as Connery could).

The only objection I have is the way his hair goes in a 'Tintin' style quiff in some shots. Looks a bit silly IMO.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    I was asked to believe Roger Moore was the same person as Sean Connery, you see :v This isn't a bother at all. B-)

{[] {[] {[] {[] {[]

Or that Pierce Brosnan, with his sunken chest and narrow shoulders, could lick his own lips, much less a half-dozen of the master villain's henchmen.

Compared to that, visualizing Craig as Bond is a lead-pipe cinch. 'Bout time Eon cast a man to play Bond. :D

There just aren't enough smileys in cyberspace to express how much I agree with your post, Loeff.

(And I don't want to hear any whining out there about dissing poor Pierce or Roger. Don't be dishin' it out if you can't take it ... )

Working out in the gym with a trainer for a few months to bulk up and having a face that looks like your a club fighter that has lost more than won does not make you a man, nor does it make you James Bond. James Bond has never been, and never should be a hulking menace. But, if that works for you, great.

BTW, thanks for the lecture at the end of the post.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    Really liked that third pic, thanks for posting these, Ieu2d.
    highhopes wrote:

{[] {[] {[] {[] {[]

Working out in the gym with a trainer for a few months to bulk up and having a face that looks like your a club fighter that has lost more than won does not make you a man, nor does it make you James Bond. James Bond has never been, and never should be a hulking menace. But, if that works for you, great.

BTW, thanks for the lecture at the end of the post.

You're welcome, Barry. Here's a second helping:
    benskelly wrote:
    Except, HH, Craig fans have shown they CAN'T take it. Not even a small, cute, utterly harmless joke further up this page.

I hope that Craig makes a cool Bond, but no matter how many posts talk about how good he looks, blah blah blah...I'm not buying it. He's a weird looking guy IMO and that's one year after the initial shock wore off. Brosnan may not have been muscle man, but you knew why any woman would and did melt in his presence. We'll see in a month. But the more the premature cult of personality, or annoying Babs, tries to tell me he's the 'best ever' and amazingly handsome, the more I refuse to go with the program.

Of the pictures, a couple are cool and a couple look awful to me - like the first one where the shadows add to his already uneven face to create a Picasso.

BTW, has anyone actually seen him grin or even smirk yet? Do we know he can change expression?

Which joke would that be? The one where Craig is ugly? Been there, Ben, six million times and laughed at it six million times. Still am. My point, as a Craig fan, is: We get it. Some of us find his looks more than appropriate for Bond, others don't. So be it.

Which is why, in my very first post on the subject further up the page, I tried to take another tack and discuss the pictures themselves. I called them atmospheric and different from the typical Bond promo shoot poses, which I think they are (there may be other opinions here -- fine). Their subject could be Don Knotts and they'd still look atmospheric and different. But the conversation inevitably instead turns to a referendum on Craig's looks. You don't think he looks like Bond should look? Well you could knock me over with a feather. And I'm not saying you're wrong. You are indeed entitled to your opinion.

But I do say that if the situation was reversed and Brosnan were the star of CR, I would not still be making cracks like the one I just made 30 days before the opening. I think I could discuss the pictures without returning yet one more time to how Broz makes for a wimpy Bond -- no matter how many times you remarked on what a sweet piece of eye-candy he was.

So let me ask you this: Pretend Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery, Tom, Dick or Harry are wearing the tux in those shots: what do you think of the pictures in the context of all the other Bond promo shots you have seen?
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    highhopes wrote:
    So let me ask you this: Pretend Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery, Tom, Dick or Harry are wearing the tux in those shots: what do you think of the pictures in the context of all the other Bond promo shots you have seen?
    I'll answer this. ;) The first picture, with Bond sitting at a Black Jack table with a gun, is IMO pretty pretty ordinary compared to some of the other promo shots. The second picture, with Bond holding a gun across his chest, is also quite ordinary. However the third picture, with Bond holding a gun in the lit street, is actually quite interesting. The picture of Bond pointing the gun at the viewer isn't particularly original but I'm always a sucker for that kind of Bondian picture. The fifthh picture, of Bond being in the hall of mirrors, is too 'Enter The Dragon'ish and is also a bit too messy for my liking. The final picture isn't IMO particularly great. My overall verdict; the pictures are generally pretty interesting but are not as impressive as promo pictures for other films also released this year.

(Note I didn't make a comment about the guy in the pictures. :v)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:

:))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    edited October 2006
    benskelly wrote:
    Except, HH, Craig fans have shown they CAN'T take it. Not even a small, cute, utterly harmless joke further up this page.
    highhopes wrote:
    Which joke would that be? The one where Craig is ugly? Been there, Ben, six million times and laughed at it six million times. Still am. My point, as a Craig fan, is: We get it. Some of us find his looks more than appropriate for Bond, others don't. So be it.

Uh..Ben...better take high hopes off the list of ones able to take it. NONE of them can.

I'm so freaking tired of this. You guys squeeze every last drop of joy out of this site.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:

Really stylish I think. Obviously it's hard to come up with new 'bloke in tux with gun' variations so a couple of em are pretty standard, although that one with him holding it across his chest has a nice angle and good strong lighting. The others are all really stylish- expecially with that excellent chandelier backdrop; great stuff. And nice bold lighting decisions too: nothing wrong with a bit of darkness. A couple of these are good enough to be posters on their own. I'd love to have seen the other Bonds in a photoshoot this stylish.

Not sure about the mirrors shot, though. I don't think that really works.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Okay, GassyMan...Here's a side by side comparison of Craig with light and dark hair. I personally think the darker hair gives him a stronger presence and more edge...just the thing Bond needs. (I also darkened the brows just a bit more)

Craig versus Craig
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    Monique wrote:
    Uh..Ben...better take high hopes off the list of ones able to take it. NONE of them can.

I'm so freaking tired of this. You guys squeeze every last drop of joy out of this site.
    I am very happy indeed that Craig is Bond, and I am thrilled at the direction of the series. Nevertheless, I *can* appreciate jocular comments about Craig or the film, just as I would hope others can appreciate jocular comments about Brosnan / Dalton / Moore / Lazenby / Connery.

On that point, I have noticed over the past year or so that there are individuals on *both* sides of the fence who cannot 'take' a joke, and those individuals unfortunately tend to be cantankerous and aggressive. That is what is squeezing the last drop of joy out of this site, to the extent that I very rarely visit this section of the forum. (Indeed, when I did post here the other day my words, which I felt reasonable, were attacked).

Regardless of what 'side' any of these individuals are on there is often displayed a level of condescension and belligerence that is quite unattractive. It is *only* a film, quite why some get so worked up I do not know. :s

I doubt my words will have any impact whatsoever however I would urge all to just think before pushing the post button as I fear, as a result of the ridiculous arguments over the past months, that you are dissuading many people from coming here.
    You are absolutely right Lazenby. Thanks for saying that. I'm sorry I sounded harsh, but I have tried to joke with these guys so many times, it just feels like they won't give an inch. I'm sure even Craig himself would say lighten up at this point. :))
    Monique wrote:
    benskelly wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

:'( I'm sorry, Monique

But your joke became part of the debate thanks to Ben -- not me. I wasn't referring to your joke in my original post but rather the constant harping about Craig's looks. In an effort to return your joy to you, I will say I liked your Grinch comment -- I would have said Curious George -- as I enjoy all funny comments. Not to brag, but I think I'm about the last person on this site anyone could accuse of not having a sense of humor. Hopefully, you will forgive me and return me to your good graces.

The real operative part of my post was let's debate the photos. They're new. Craig's looks are not. In fact, some would say they look even older than they are (There -- I saved someone the trouble ;) ).

Look -- I've only been on AJB for a short time. But I haven't really been satisfied with Eon's choice of a Bond actor since Connery, so we're talking 30-40 years. So you might say I feel the anti-Craigers pain. I've felt it a whole lot longer than their 12 short months. But if I'd been around during the Brosnan era and those pictures were of him, I promise you I could have critiqued them without repeating my standard anti-Brosnan schtick that he's a male model, not tough enough, yada, yada, yada ... and lodged a minor complaint with anyone who did.
    edited October 2006
    Ok I'm sorry too. :) Peace. Just felt like a bit of a boys club last night with all the backslapping and toasting going on.

And I truly love the Grinch..but Craig's expression, and pursed lips looked just like him in that pic! I couldn't resist.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    Has my post had an impact? :o :D

One last piece of advice before I hit myself for unilaterally assuming the role of peacemaker in all of this: If ever one feels the urge to respond to a post in an aggressive or cantankerous manner watch this. It should make one feel better. :)
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    Okay, GassyMan...Here's a side by side comparison of Craig with light and dark hair. I personally think the darker hair gives him a stronger presence and more edge...just the thing Bond needs. (I also darkened the brows just a bit more)

Craig versus Craig
    Yep, darker hair would have been the way to go. Thanks for doing this. It will be interesting to see if Craig's features are darkened up in the next film.
    Dan Same wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    I'll answer this. ;) The first picture, with Bond sitting at a Black Jack table with a gun, is IMO pretty pretty ordinary compared to some of the other promo shots. The second picture, with Bond holding a gun across his chest, is also quite ordinary. However the third picture, with Bond holding a gun in the lit street, is actually quite interesting. The picture of Bond pointing the gun at the viewer isn't particularly original but I'm always a sucker for that kind of Bondian picture. The fifthh picture, of Bond being in the hall of mirrors, is too 'Enter The Dragon'ish and is also a bit too messy for my liking. The final picture isn't IMO particularly great. My overall verdict; the pictures are generally pretty interesting but are not as impressive as promo pictures for other films also released this year.

Dan, you get a Gold Star. Although anyone with a Halle Berry icon -- even a guy -- can never really be wrong as far as I'm concerned.

I liked the first one best, with Craig's face in the shadows (I would have expected that one to be a special favorite for some people we know :)) )

I wasn't particulary impressed with the one where he's holding the gun across his chest either, but I did like the one with the mirrors. Someone else remarked that they should have used this version of the one where Bond's eye is lit, rather than the exaggerated version that made the poster. It's really a great shot, au naturel.

I don't know. They seem somewhat unusual to me, but I can't say that I've seen a lot of Bond promo pictures. They do give out an aura of darkness that I haven't seen in a Bond film for a long time. As someone else mentioned, it might have been nice to have one of Craig doing Bond's cat-that-ate-the-canary smirk. But Eon seems really determined to play down any lighter moments in CR.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    If ever one feels the urge to respond to a post in an aggressive or cantankerous manner watch this. It should make one feel better. :)

I can feel the love L880. The Nobel Prize for Peace goes to ....
    Lazenby880 wrote:

One last piece of advice before I hit myself for unilaterally assuming the role of peacemaker in all of this: If ever one feels the urge to respond to a post in an aggressive or cantankerous manner watch this. It should make one feel better. :)

Lazenby: How in the world is the fact that I actually remember a 35-year-old television commercial -- I can actually sing along with it --supposed to make me feel better? Morbidly depressed is more like it :))
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    Lazenby880 wrote:

Lazenby: How in the world is the fact that I actually remember a 35-year-old television commercial -- I can actually sing along with it --supposed to make me feel better? Morbidly depressed is more like it :))

I was only 4 when that came out and I can sing every word. Goes to show the power of advertising. :p