New Craig promo shots

Comments

• highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    benskelly wrote:
    Fair enough, HH - you make good points. I wasn't referring to you specifically. Cuz you're right, you have shown yourself time and again to be a "uniter not a divider", to quote our...well, that guy in the White House. (AND you're a "decider", lol!) Like Mo said, I just get tired sometimes of all the hyperbole about every little snapshot of Craig. And that makes me feel like the looks thing is fair game. I recognize good photos... #3 and #6, the rest no.

Here's the bottom line for me: When I see shot after shot of the pout and tough guy attitude - see, which is different to me than the effortless cool of Bond...sorry but that's a pivotal point as far as I'm concerned...Bond shouldn't be TELLING me he's tough - wrong or right, I get a real deja vu Dalton vibe. Showing my age, no doubt. I know some people like him, but for me Dalton was just miscast. And so that association makes me worry. In a month, I'll probably come on here and sigh a big sigh of relief.

Hopefully the PR (and Craig) will loosen up as the opening weekend numbers put Sony's fears to rest.

...Because from what I see, it's going to open huge.

Thanks Ben -- and I know what you mean about the "look." I feel sometimes like telling Eon that we get that, too - Craig's a new, tougher Bond -- and that as much as I love the idea, you can lay it on a little too thick. How about a Bond-with-a-couple-of-babes-on-his-arm picture just for fun? With a look that says "Now THIS is the life ..." I know Craig can do it (Hell, I could do that -- it does itself). There's that fleeting moment in the trailer with his "You noticed" remark. He does it more deadpan than Connery, Moore or Brosnan, but there's an unmistakable twinkle in his eye. I'd like to see a bit more of that.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    I feel sometimes like telling Eon that we get that, too - Craig's a new, tougher Bond -- and that as much as I love the idea, you can lay it on a little too thick. How about a Bond-with-a-couple-of-babes-on-his-arm picture just for fun? With a look that says "Now THIS is the life ..." I know Craig can do it (Hell, I could do that -- it does itself). There's that fleeting moment in the trailer with his "You noticed" remark. He does it more deadpan than Connery, Moore or Brosnan, but there's an unmistakable twinkle in his eye. I'd like to see a bit more of that.

I dunno; that's just baggage, though- isn't it? If this was just a film adaptation about a famous book of many years ago, who would be crying out for having the main character smirking in the photos? It just doesn't suit this film or the character from the book. Perhaps it suits Diamonds Are Forever thirty years years ago, but I don't see why it suits this one. And that's really the approach I'd like to have seen them go all out for with this movie; dumping all the baggage (unless it's good and suitable- obviously you can't ditch the Bond theme etc.). I can understand why they've held back a bit, but every poster of Bond with girly silhouettes and so on makes my heart sink a little lower for what they could have really gone for.

Anyway; in short, I don't think the smirky Bond pose has any real bearing on this for any reason other than nostalgia. Why would a secret agent in a situation where he's holding a silenced gun be striking an arms-crossed pose and smiling?
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    From a photographic point of view I like #1 #4 and #6, especially #1.

#3 looks like something from Close Encounters with Bond exposing his penis at the aliens. :D

#5 is my least favourite. I can see the Steve McQueen resemblance that others have mentioned, but the photo does Daniel Craig no favours at all......even darenhat's touch up can't save him.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    #3 looks like something from Close Encounters with Bond exposing his penis at the aliens. :D

:)) :)) :)) Classic.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    First, thanks for posting, second I appreciate that you and others like Craig, but IMO, that first shot is dreadful. The fifth picture he has a remarkable resemblance to Steve McQueen. Who had the right look for many of his roles, but he would not have made a good Bond either, IMO.

I'm going to have to agree with you, Barry, on the first picture. I loved all of the other pictures (especially the 4th one with the mirrors, which I think might be his best picture as Bond yet), but there is just something about that first picture that just isn't right. I really wish that they had darkened Craig's hair for the role; if you put dark hair on Craig in the second and fourth photos, those are two of the most Bondian photos that have ever been made.

As for Steve McQueen, I think he actually would have made a terrific Bond if he had been able to pull off the accent. McQueen's appearance is actually one I can easily put on the literary 007. If you think about how McQueen would have been as Bond, think of his performance in The Thomas Crown Affair. (A role which, decades later ironically enough, was played by Bond himself, Pierce Brosnan)
    emtiem wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    I feel sometimes like telling Eon that we get that, too - Craig's a new, tougher Bond -- and that as much as I love the idea, you can lay it on a little too thick. How about a Bond-with-a-couple-of-babes-on-his-arm picture just for fun? With a look that says "Now THIS is the life ..." I know Craig can do it (Hell, I could do that -- it does itself). There's that fleeting moment in the trailer with his "You noticed" remark. He does it more deadpan than Connery, Moore or Brosnan, but there's an unmistakable twinkle in his eye. I'd like to see a bit more of that.

I dunno; that's just baggage, though- isn't it? If this was just a film adaptation about a famous book of many years ago, who would be crying out for having the main character smirking in the photos? It just doesn't suit this film or the character from the book. Perhaps it suits Diamonds Are Forever thirty years years ago, but I don't see why it suits this one. And that's really the approach I'd like to have seen them go all out for with this movie; dumping all the baggage (unless it's good and suitable- obviously you can't ditch the Bond theme etc.). I can understand why they've held back a bit, but every poster of Bond with girly silhouettes and so on makes my heart sink a little lower for what they could have really gone for.

Anyway; in short, I don't think the smirky Bond pose has any real bearing on this for any reason other than nostalgia. Why would a secret agent in a situation where he's holding a silenced gun be striking an arms-crossed pose and smiling?

That's true. But many promo pictures are stagey to some degree. How could it hurt? I think that just from a public relations angle, knowing full well their new Bond is controversial in some circles, Eon would heed some of the concerns and have Craig show a bit of a lighter side. It might alleviate some of those concerns. I can't believe they're not checking in on these sites now and then for feedback. I would. It only makes sense.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Some promo shots of a different kind.

Every little helps......

007 spied at the supermarket
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2006480326,00.html
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    First, thanks for posting, second I appreciate that you and others like Craig, but IMO, that first shot is dreadful. The fifth picture he has a remarkable resemblance to Steve McQueen. Who had the right look for many of his roles, but he would not have made a good Bond either, IMO.

I'm going to have to agree with you, Barry, on the first picture. I loved all of the other pictures (especially the 4th one with the mirrors, which I think might be his best picture as Bond yet), but there is just something about that first picture that just isn't right. I really wish that they had darkened Craig's hair for the role; if you put dark hair on Craig in the second and fourth photos, those are two of the most Bondian photos that have ever been made.

As for Steve McQueen, I think he actually would have made a terrific Bond if he had been able to pull off the accent. McQueen's appearance is actually one I can easily put on the literary 007. If you think about how McQueen would have been as Bond, think of his performance in The Thomas Crown Affair. (A role which, decades later ironically enough, was played by Bond himself, Pierce Brosnan)

Don't want to hijack the thread, but although I enjoyed McQueen very much, I don't think Bond was the role for him. He, like Craig, does not have the correct look, IMO. I believe Bond should be relatively tall, dark and handsome. He should be refined, but tough. When I think of McQueen I think of The Magnificant Seven, The Great Escape, Bullitt and Peckinpaugh's The Getaway. All great roles, but not Bond like. As for The Thomas Crowne Affair, I feel the remake was superior.

As for the pictures, I stand by earlier statement.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    benskelly wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

It suits Cinematic Bond, period.

Bond at his best has always been the coolest guy in the room...and thus, logically, he's not scowling like some American thug and working so hard. He's not sweating. Because despite the danger - hell, because of it - he loves life.

Well that's fine in a sort of postmodern spoofy Bond film like the old ones (and it suited that well) but I'm still of the belief that they should have, and sort have gone halfway, to cutting themselves free of the old films. I think they've found that a lot harder than they'd hoped for and I don't think they've been entirely successful so far; but that's wandering down different territory.
    I just think these photos aren't supposed to be 'Look at this chap- it's Hollywood's James Bond 007'; I actually think they're trying to get across a bit more of a feel for the film. And if there's one film where it's appropriate for James to be wearing a dinner suit... :)

I'd rather they stayed away from the stagey old posed shots- it'd be being done purely because someone in the 60s/70's did it; not because it's right for this film and today. There are many different shades of Cinematic Bond each with slightly different requirements. This is a new one.

And he's not really scowling- he isn't even frowning. There aren't too many situations in previosu Bond films where Bond's been in a situation where he's needed his gun and had a goofy, smiley look on his face. These pictures are just trying to create a mood, and holding a gun isn't really something to be joking about- especially in this film.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:
    You are absolutely right Lazenby. Thanks for saying that. I'm sorry I sounded harsh, but I have tried to joke with these guys so many times, it just feels like they won't give an inch. I'm sure even Craig himself would say lighten up at this point. :))

Actually, Monique, Craig would say "Lighten up, you c*nts!" :p
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    These pics are AMAZING. The second one is my favorite. Very Connery.

These pics should help to ease the anti-craigers a little. If they don't, nothing will.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters

Every little helps......

He certainly comes off as quite the sourpuss in those pics!
    benskelly wrote:

Every little helps......

Actually, ironically...but sincerely, that first shot of him coming out of the store is probably the most handsome he's looked in a photo.

LOL, who knew? :))

I'm about to do what I've chastized others for: make fun of Craig. But in my defense, it won't be his looks.
    I looked up Tesco on the Web. It says they deliver. But Craig apparently won't pay extra for delivery despite a 1 million-pound-plus payday. He is indeed VERY Connery-like. :)) I'm a little disappointed the Sun didn't pick up on that.

Sorry Sean, just joshing ya; you know you're still my main guy. And I have to say I respect Craig for buying his own groceries and rubbing elbows with the peasants. We'll see how long that lasts.
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:

Every little helps......

Ah well, at least he's shaved :p
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited October 2006
    benskelly wrote:
    Except, HH, Craig fans have shown they CAN'T take it. Not even a small, cute, utterly harmless joke further up this page.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I don't see where anybody made a fuss about anything there...? I thought HH was responding to my comment about transitioning between Bond actors...

My only point is that the Bond franchise has been expanding the range of 007's appearance since I was a kid. The leap from Connery to Moore is pretty broad, and requires significant stretching, beforehand, to keep from injuring oneself, that's all I'm saying ;)

Craig looks like Bond (to me) in these shots; Bond has looked like many different people in his 44 years on the big screen.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:
    You are absolutely right Lazenby. Thanks for saying that. I'm sorry I sounded harsh, but I have tried to joke with these guys so many times, it just feels like they won't give an inch. I'm sure even Craig himself would say lighten up at this point. :))

Actually, Monique, Craig would say "Lighten up, you c*nts!" :p

Perfectly matched smiley, Night.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    i

Don't want to hijack the thread, but although I enjoyed McQueen very much, I don't think Bond was the role for him. He, like Craig, does not have the correct look, IMO. I believe Bond should be relatively tall, dark and handsome. He should be refined, but tough. When I think of McQueen I think of The Magnificant Seven, The Great Escape, Bullitt and Peckinpaugh's The Getaway. All gret roles, but not Bond like. As for The Thomas Crowne Affair, I feel the remake was superior.

We all agree that Bond should be handsome, and imo, both McQueen and Craig are. In fact, I find it curious you would imply that McQueen wasn't, because when I read about McQueen (who is one of my acting heroes, btw), one of the comments that seems to come up about him is that he was often thought of as handsome. He may not have been a Clark Gable type, but I would definitely consider him to be a ruggedly handsome type.

As for your statement that Bond should be refined, but tough, that's fine. But being refined, imo, isn't about always cleaning up, making sure your hair isn't mussed, and making sure every square inch of your tuxedo is perfectly proportioned. Being refined, IMO, is about how you live your life, how you carry yourself, and what tastes you have in aesthetics. It's not necessarily about looking refined so much as it is about being refined. When I think of the literary 007, I think of a guy who is a ruggedly-handsome appearing character who has some perhaps not so warm and welcoming physical features (noticable scar on his face, cold blue eyes),and who has refined tastes and lives a refined lifestyle. I think McQueen in TTCA definitely showed the ability to play this type of role. Craig, admittedly, doesn't really have a role in his portfolio in which he shows this, mainly because he hasn't had a role that's required this. But I have been impressed by his acting ability, and I do think he has a ruggedly handsome appearance that mixes well with a refined attire and lifestyle. (Look at the picture with the mirrors; that's probably his best picture yet)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    darenhat wrote:

Every little helps......

Ah well, at least he's shaved :p

Hey! Is that a jab at Dalton's Thanksgiving shopping pics? ;)
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    i

Don't want to hijack the thread, but although I enjoyed McQueen very much, I don't think Bond was the role for him. He, like Craig, does not have the correct look, IMO. I believe Bond should be relatively tall, dark and handsome. He should be refined, but tough. When I think of McQueen I think of The Magnificant Seven, The Great Escape, Bullitt and Peckinpaugh's The Getaway. All gret roles, but not Bond like. As for The Thomas Crowne Affair, I feel the remake was superior.

We all agree that Bond should be handsome, and imo, both McQueen and Craig are. In fact, I find it curious you would imply that McQueen wasn't, because when I read about McQueen (who is one of my acting heroes, btw), one of the comments that seems to come up about him is that he was often thought of as handsome. He may not have been a Clark Gable type, but I would definitely consider him to be a ruggedly handsome type.

As for your statement that Bond should be refined, but tough, that's fine. But being refined, imo, isn't about always cleaning up, making sure your hair isn't mussed, and making sure every square inch of your tuxedo is perfectly proportioned. Being refined, IMO, is about how you live your life, how you carry yourself, and what tastes you have in aesthetics. It's not necessarily about looking refined so much as it is about being refined. When I think of the literary 007, I think of a guy who is a ruggedly-handsome appearing character who has some perhaps not so warm and welcoming physical features (noticable scar on his face, cold blue eyes),and who has refined tastes and lives a refined lifestyle. I think McQueen in TTCA definitely showed the ability to play this type of role. Craig, admittedly, doesn't really have a role in his portfolio in which he shows this, mainly because he hasn't had a role that's required this. But I have been impressed by his acting ability, and I do think he has a ruggedly handsome appearance that mixes well with a refined attire and lifestyle. (Look at the picture with the mirrors; that's probably his best picture yet)

Hey Klaus, Well I didn't mean to say McQueen wasn't handsome, he certainly was. But he was ruggedly handsome as you say. I also agree with what you say about being refined, but some people are able to give off an appearance of beinmg refined, while others don't. Some men look like they should be in a tuxs, Brosnan and Moore to name two. Others look out of place in a tuxs, Craig to name one. As others have said, and I don't want to belabor the point, in my eyes, Craig looks more like a rough bad guy, then James Bond. EDIT - I started to desribe his features and realized that in the interest of peace and goodwill to fellowmen I shouldn't. So I will leave it at that.

I love Steve McQueen, just don't think he or Craig look like James Bond. But that's just me, others think differently, it's a big Bond world out there.

Still don't like picture #1. :)
    I think I'm done commenting on Craig as Bond until we have a movie to watch.

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006

Hmmmm....We need a mistrust icon here. :D :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    No...we don't.
    edited October 2006
    Well, when expected arguments don't happen, and still cause hard feelings, the debate is beyond stale---it's gangrenous; south of cheese.

I'll have no part of it. I won't blow my 3,000th post on yet another variation on pro- vs anti-... B-)

There's a new Bond film in less than a month. :007)
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Loeffs, is this the third time you've left? :D
    edited October 2006
    Loeffs, is this the third time you've left? :D

Never have, 'shooter. You must be mistaking me for someone else. I do leave conversations from time to time, when they become insufferable 8-)

And who said anything about leaving? I'm just not talking about The New Guy vs Any Other Guy anymore. I'm just looking forward to the new Bond picture.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    highhopes wrote:
    Dan, you get a Gold Star. Although anyone with a Halle Berry icon -- even a guy -- can never really be wrong as far as I'm concerned.
    Thanks. {[] The fact that you like Halle makes up for any thing that you may have said about Brosnan. :D
    highhopes wrote:
    I don't know. They seem somewhat unusual to me, but I can't say that I've seen a lot of Bond promo pictures. They do give out an aura of darkness that I haven't seen in a Bond film for a long time.
    Well, they are certainly the darkest since TWINE. I don't have a problem with the darkness as long as CR contrasts it with plenty of light. My second favourite Bond film is FRWL. While it's not as jovial and free-spirited as GF, it still has plenty of light moments. I really hope that CR attempts to replicate that, rather than a film like LTK which IMO was far too gloomy.
    highhopes wrote:
    But Eon seems really determined to play down any lighter moments in CR.
    Yeh, unfortunately, I think you're right on this. :(
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Well, I still like that 3rd picture - even if Moore Not Less is seeing a penis. :D
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    highhopes wrote:
    Lazenby: How in the world is the fact that I actually remember a 35-year-old television commercial -- I can actually sing along with it --supposed to make me feel better? Morbidly depressed is more like it :))
    Surely one cannot help but raise a smile at the unadulterated cheesiness and commercialism? Perhaps one should watch a Disney picture instead then. ;)
    benskelly wrote:
    I think it would be better if we all just realized we're not going to change each other's minds. Only the movie will do that.

One month.
    That is very true. Perhaps there could be some sort of moratorium on the endlessly aggressive and unattractive pro-/anti- debates until Casino Royale is actually released. To be fair I have read pro-/anti- debates that have not denegrated into orgies of mudslinging and condescension; they are few and far between and dependent upon rational and calm minds.

Hopefully we can all agree that some women find Daniel Craig attractive and some do not; that some people enjoy the Brosnan pictures and some do not; and that some people are delighted with the new direction of the film series and some are not. Until we can all respect one another's opinions and disagree and debate with politeness and geniality it would seem best to just wait until the thing is released. Then minds can be truly made.

November 17th will either put an end to all the needless hostility or provoke more. I do hope, for the sake of the site, that it is the former. :)
  • Myk_Myk_ LondonPosts: 13MI6 Agent
    edited July 2019
    -Deleted-
  • glidroseglidrose Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    benskelly wrote:

Seems like good advice for both pro- and con- to me. After all, what are we debating? NONE of us have seen this guy play Bond yet. You can't judge a performance from a poster or a few lines in a trailer. We all know what we think about his looks, but ultimately, what matters is his performance.

Exactly! Most sensible thing I've read today....{[]