The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Thanks, Agent M! Just in case the link isn't working for some (like me), here's the image for everyone...

thor.jpg

FOR ODIN! FOR ASGARD!!!!!!!!!! {[]
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    By Odin' beard!!!! :))

Looking really good to me and Chris Hemsworth is almost unrecognizable. There was also a spy pic of
    the Destroyer, which seemed to look EXACTLY like the comic version
    posted and then quickly removed. I've also read there will be some tie-ins to Thor in Iron Man 2.

BTW, by way of Superherohype, here's a link to the first official trailer for Jonah Hex; as long as you can get over the missing bucked eye and the fact that his origin seems a little different, it actually doesn't look half bad in a Punisher War Zone B Movie sort of way.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=9341
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Thor's looking good...I'm glad they gave him some beard. For some reason, a baby-faced Thor works well in the comics, but I had a hard time seeing it on the big screen.
    TonyDP wrote:
    By Odin' beard!!!! :))

Looking really good to me and Chris Hemsworth is almost unrecognizable. There was also a spy pic of
    the Destroyer, which seemed to look EXACTLY like the comic version
    posted and then quickly removed. I've also read there will be some tie-ins to Thor in Iron Man 2.

Clearly Marvel has decided to give him the Oliver Coipel design from the current comics albeit modernized. My son is going to blow his nerd load when he gets home from school to see this pic. Thor has been his FAVORITE superhero since he was a toddler; probably since it was the first action figure that I had ever given him.

BTW, by way of Superherohype, here's a link to the first official trailer for Jonah Hex; as long as you can get over the missing bucked eye and the fact that his origin seems a little different, it actually doesn't look half bad in a Punisher War Zone B Movie sort of way.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=9341

Well in defense of PWZ, at least Marvel/Lionsgate stayed faithful to Frank Castle's one trick pony mythos regardless of how madcap the pacing was in that movie. This is not the Jonah Hex that I've been following since I was in grade school. This is the first that I've ever seen of his trailer and yes, I'll more than likely give it a chance and hope that it's remotely enjoyable but this is why WB ticks me off so much. They just don't respect the lightning in the bottle that they possess. X-(

Why must they alter solid material that never needed fixing? It's almost as if they were ashamed of their DC faction.

Hex is not Hellblazer, that's John Constantine. This is a slap in the face to his creators John Albano & Tony DeZuniga. X-(

Jonah Hex should be shot like a Sergio Leone picture sans the voice dubbing. This looks like another Wild Wild West again and I've read reports as well that the production was abit rocky at best...never a good sign.

What reaffirms my concerns that this won't do well at the box office? WB is letting it debut the same weekend as Toy Story 3. It's going to get murdered.

Hopefully with the positive buzz from Iron Man 2 & the awesome Thor pic above, Warner will get their s*** in gear and start producing their heavy hitters.

At this point for a DC disciple...Hal Jordan is my only hope.

But Megan Fox is in it! :))

That was an enjoyable rant, Rogue. I've also read that the production was troubled and they did about 50 pages of reshoots. Opening against Toy Story III is definitely a bad decision but then again the two movies are going after very different audiences. Also, as the movie had a modest budget, I'm sure WB is banking on recouping its costs via the inevitable home video release. Let's face it, the odds were very long that this would ever be a franchise.

FWIW, I do see bits of Leone and other spaghetti westerns in the trailer; the bit with the coffins is right out of Fistful of Dollars, the over the top weapons are right out of Django and between sneers Brolin's Hex bears more than a passing semblance to The Man With No Name. I'm not as familiar with the comic as you are so like Wolverine and the X-Men I'm not as vested in it being 100% faithful as something like Green Lantern. As long as its entertaining, I'm willing to meet it halfway.

And besides, Megan Fox is in it! ;)
    Well Megan Fox, on the surface, does bring on naughty thoughts for me but as far as acting aptitude she'd make toast stale.

Yeah, sorry for going off the deep end there, man ;% . I just love the character and a good part of the money I earned as a kid went towards his comics on a monthly basis. Jonah Hex is just awesome IMO. 35 years ago, that role screamed of Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson sporting the buck-eye and scar...and Leone directing it. :(

That being said, I'll see it and buy the dvd too out of fanboyness.

Not that I was expecting this to spawn several sequels down the road but if this had been executed properly the first time, not only would Hex have been a hit but it would've given a much needed injection of vitality to a part of a dying branch of American cinema: The Western. The cowboy means very little to today's youth who opt to see blue people on lizards and Anime cookie cutter martial artists with too much mousse in their hair. :#

I've got 3 guys currently busting my sack all week about how Marvel is putting everything together so nicely. One of the guys, I have to feed and clothe. What do you think he'll do once he sees Hemsworth decked out in the garb? ;% :))

I hope that Campbell can counter some of the momentum Thor is going to bring by giving us a quality GL movie next summer. Reynolds needs to be the Hal Jordan which is pretty much: Captain Kirk on steroids.

It looks like WB is staking their claim in the comic book movies wars for 2012 to go up against Avengers and the rebooted Spidey film. It would be nice to have a back up plan in production for that year as well. Suicide Squad would be nice since Waller's going to be in the GL movie.

Next Batman Movie Coming July 20, 2012!

Source: Warner Bros. Pictures April 30, 2010

Warner Bros. Pictures has set a July 20, 2012 release date for Christopher Nolan's third Batman movie in conventional and IMAX theaters! That is a little over two weeks after Sony Pictures is releasing their Spider-Man reboot on July 3, 2012.

Nolan's second Batman movie, The Dark Knight, opened July 18, 2008 and earned more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

Stay tuned as we'll have lots of news on the Batman and Spidey movies over the next two years!

Four years seems like a very long time between Batman installments, so I'd expect Nolan and WB to pull out all the stops on the third film.

Summer 2012 is already starting to get crowded; in addition to Batman and Spider Wuss (Dan Same, where have you gone? Ridiculing Spiderman is just not the same without you around to defend him.) the next Star Trek movie is opening in mid-June and I'm pretty sure Marvel's superhero mega-teamup The Avengers will be in there somewhere. Oh well, 2008 showed us that you can have a lot of big-budget event movies crammed together and they can all make good money. Let's hope the movies themselves are all good.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    It's gonna be a good summer in '12 B-) Hope we know more about Bond's future by then :(
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    ahh. I'm in need of a good geeky summer at the movies. let's just hope I can manage to grab a job to support this, yeah?
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    TonyDP wrote:
    Four years seems like a very long time between Batman installments, so I'd expect Nolan and WB to pull out all the stops on the third film.

Summer 2012 is already starting to get crowded; in addition to Batman and Spider Wuss (Dan Same, where have you gone? Ridiculing Spiderman is just not the same without you around to defend him.) the next Star Trek movie is opening in mid-June and I'm pretty sure Marvel's superhero mega-teamup The Avengers will be in there somewhere. Oh well, 2008 showed us that you can have a lot of big-budget event movies crammed together and they can all make good money. Let's hope the movies themselves are all good.

Good news, indeed! I'm looking forward to both '11 and '12 (makes '10 seem a little weak in the superhero flicks dept.)

And, Pen, 2012 is still two years off. Surely you can save up enough for a movie ticket by then! ;)
    By way of Superherohype and other sources: it has now been officially confirmed that Hugo Weaving will inded be playing the Red Skull in Marvel's Captain America movie. Great casting in my opinion.

Here's the link for more info:
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/captainamericanews.php?id=9363
    TonyDP wrote:
    By way of Superherohype and other sources: it has now been officially confirmed that Hugo Weaving will inded be playing the Red Skull in Marvel's Captain America movie. Great casting in my opinion.

Here's the link for more info:
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/captainamericanews.php?id=9363

I'm absolutely delighted by this news---and the confirmation that they're doing Cap's (WWII?) origin story. CA is one of my all-time favourites---especially in the Marvel stable. Very excited about this one.

Jack Kirby was a demigod.
    Re: Iron Man 2
    ...It was rather nice to see a traditional-looking hammer in that last shot, wasn't it?

B-)
    Re: Iron Man 2
    ...It was rather nice to see a traditional-looking hammer in that last shot, wasn't it?

B-)

When I saw the movie last Friday, I was amazed at the number of people who cluelessly started to wander out of the theater the minute the credits began to roll. In this wired age we live in it seems incomprehensible to me that people can still be so unaware of stuff, especially as nearly every review and preview mentioned it and Marvel movies have a history with these kinds of easter eggs.
    Will the phrase "Sweet Christmas" finally be uttered onscreen?

Actor in Talks for Luke Cage Movie?
    by SuperHeroHype
    May 7th, 2010

Who may be up for the role?
    The Los Angeles Times mentioned briefly in a new article that a Luke Cage movie may be closer to becoming real...

Speaking of Luke Cage, a.k.a. Power Man, I hear that there's more talk underway about putting the urban hero into his own film and that a notable Hollywood star is now having (very) preliminary talks with Marvel Studios about the property and its potential.

Director John Singleton and actor Tyrese Gibson were long attached to the property, but we guess it's safe to say that version of the project is no longer going ahead.

I'm so glad that Gibson won't be in this one; I can't stand his one-dimensional acting. I wonder will Cage don the tiara and that horrid yellow blouse? :))

Got to have Danny Rand/Iron Fist if it's a Cage flick. B-)

It's good to hear that Marvel is pushing forward with new entries into the film franchises. Seems like everything lately has been geared towards the Avengers and everything else has been pretty much ignored...I'd like to see a Moon Knight feature, or maybe something with Hawkeye, on the horizon. Just hope they stay away from Sub-Mariner.
    I never read Luke Cage much; about the only time I moderately followed his character was when he briefly joined the Fantastic Four back in the 1970s (and as such the strongest image I have of his is with the yellow shirt and headband). Maybe its because of that perspective, but I think he would work well in a retro 1970s period movie (kind of like what DC did with The Spectre on the last JLA direct to DVD). After all, not every one of Marvel's movies needs to lead into The Avengers.
    TonyDP wrote:
    I never read Luke Cage much; about the only time I moderately followed his character was when he briefly joined the Fantastic Four back in the 1970s (and as such the strongest image I have of his is with the yellow shirt and headband). Maybe its because of that perspective, but I think he would work well in a retro 1970s period movie (kind of like what DC did with The Spectre on the last JLA direct to DVD). After all, not every one of Marvel's movies needs to lead into The Avengers.
    Tony, were those the issues when Ben Grimm temporarily lost his powers and reverted back to his formal self? Then with jealousy of being replaced, tried to fight Cage? I remember that being hilarious even though I empathized with the Thing just a little. Man, Marvel stories were soooo good back in the 70s. B-)

I remember Cage quitting when he found out that a paycheck didn't come with the job. :))

Do you remember when Doctor Doom hired Cage for some task (I can't recall just what it was now) and when Doom waffled on paying him, Cage took a flight to Latveria to collect in his own rampaging fashion until he got paid? Doom said he never met anyone crazier. That story was comedy gold. :)) :)) :))

Marvel can take the "blaxploitation" route with the character or the more contemporary personna and it could do well I think. If done well, it could muster up Blade-type box office.

RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    Tony, were those the issues when Ben Grimm temporarily lost his powers and reverted back to his formal self? Then with jealousy of being replaced, tried to fight Cage? I remember that being hilarious even though I empathized with the Thing just a little. Man, Marvel stories were soooo good back in the 70s. B-)

I remember Cage quitting when he found out that a paycheck didn't come with the job. :))

That sounds about right; as I recall the Thing became normal after being in close contact with the gamma irradiated Hulk. Reed then proceeded to try to recruit a number of superheroes as Ben's replacement (none of whom panned out) before building Ben an exo-suit which conveniently looked just like the Thing. I don't know how Ben got his powers back after that.

Do you remember when Doctor Doom hired Cage for some task (I can't recall just what it was now) and when Doom waffled on paying him, Cage took a flight to Latveria to collect in his own rampaging fashion until he got paid? Doom said he never met anyone crazier. That story was comedy gold. :)) :)) :))

Don't remember that run but it sounds like a fun story.
    Marvel can take the "blaxploitation" route with the character or the more contemporary personna and it could do well I think. If done well, it could muster up Blade-type box office.

That's what I was thinking. From what I know of Luke Cage, he would work well as a grindhouse style movie but probably not a Major Hollywood Production. Also, I have to confess that the headband and yellow shirt are a far more interesting look that what he got in later years and would proably work perfectly if the went the 70s blaxploitation route. As to who should play the lead, I have no idea but if they'd done this 30-35 years ago, Jim Brown would have been perfect.
    edited May 2010
    I hope that the Mods don't mind if I put this news in this particular thread and not the Tributes one because it's more fitting here:

Frank Frazetta, 1928 - 2010

6 hours ago | Comicmix.com

According to biographer / publisher Russ Cochran, legendary illustrator and comics artist Frank Frazetta passed away this morning.

Perhaps best known for his illustrations on the covers of the 1970s Conan paperbacks for Lancer Books and the 1960s Warren Magazines (Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella, Blazing Combat), Frazetta worked closely with EC artists Al Williamson and Angelo Torres as well as on various solo efforts for that and other publishers. He worked on The Shining Knight for DC Comics and the oft-reprinted jungle feature Thun'da created by Gardner Fox.

Frazetta spent years as Al Capp's assistant – often, ghost – on the newspaper strip Lil Abner at the height of its popularity, where he first visualized the astonishingly sexy character Moonbeam McSwine. He went on to draw his own short-lived newspaper comic strip, Johnny Comet, and served as an assistant to Harvey Kurtzman and Will Elder on Playboy's Little Annie Fanny. Kurtzman once referred to Kurtzman once referred to Frank as "drawing sexy muscles in places where women don't ordinarily have muscles."

Generally regarded as one of the premiere illustrators of the latter half of the 20th Century, Frank Frazetta's work has been gathered in numerous collections and calendars. His work continues to be licensed for poster reproduction and for adaptation into comic books.

- Mike Gold

frazetta01.jpg

To say that this man's talents weren't an influence to how I approach any composition I draw/paint would be an understatement. Truth be told, Frazetta was the inspiration for me getting into painting (acrylics & oils).
    I first got into Frazetta's work from the old Warren Publications magazines and Molly Hatchett album covers in elementary school and was completely blown away with what he could do. The man was a comic book artist god and my sympathies go out to his family. I still have my poster of The Death Dealer that he painted back in the 70s...it's my favorite piece from him.

RIP

Might I also take the time to recognize the passing of DC Comic artist/inker Dick Giordano last month as well who succumbed to cancer. He became prominent back in the late 60s pairing up with Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams on Batman and then going on to tackle many other titles under the flagship. I used to refer to him as Neal Adams-lite since their styles were so similar but he could hold his own. RIP.

Didn't know about Dick Giordano :( I've got a lot of his stuff...and Frazetta was amazing. He did some Tarzan covers as well, didn't he? The depth and texture of his work is as identifiable as a fingerprint.

RIP to two comic book legends -{
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Heard the news before work and was completely down the rest of the night. Frank Frazetta's legacy will never die. I was only eight when I stumbled across this beautifully painted paperback which began my life long Robert E. Howard worship.

lancers_conan_conqueror_front.jpg

For good resoluton Frazetta scans. http://www.arthistoryarchive.com/arthistory/fantasy/Frank-Frazetta.html [some nudity, might not be safe for work)

I also recommend the book ICON. http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Retrospective-Grand-Master-Fantastic/dp/1887424717/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273579600&sr=8-2-catcorr
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    It was hard to escape Frazetta--I think they still even make calendars with his artwork. A fond farewell to the man who gave us our vision of fantasy.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    He was the greatest.

gauntlet.jpg
    Alex wrote:
    He was the greatest.

Other than Boris Vallejo, The Brothers Hildebrandt and Joe Jusko, I can't think of another comic book illustrator who could make a competent pro not feel inferior. Alex Ross can't touch those guys.

Frazetta had a stroke, lost the use of his right side and then conditioned himself to draw and paint with his left hand without missing a beat in quality. IMO, that's the freaking Terminator...the man was part cyborg. B-)

On more comic book movie news:

Judge Dredd to Start Filming this Fall
    by SuperHeroHype
    May 13th, 2010
    Shooting to take place in Johannesburg

Earlier this week, it was announced that a 3D adaptation of Judge Dredd is moving ahead. We now have the official press release, which includes more information regarding the production:

Reliance BIG Pictures, together with IM Global, the international sales company that Reliance acquired only last week, will finance DNA’s 3D production of JUDGE DREDD, a $45 million film adaptation of the iconic 2000 AD comic-book character created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra.

Filming will take place over the fourth quarter of 2010 in Johannesburg.

JUDGE DREDD is being made by the writer/producer partnership behind The Beach, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Sunshine, and Never Let Me Go. Alex Garland, Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich will produce a script written by Garland.

Pete Travis, director of Omagh, Vantage Point, and Endgame will direct. Wagner will be a creative consultant on the film.

DNA has engaged Michael Murphy (District 9) as South African co-producer.

Jason Kingsley and Chris Kingsley, owners of Rebellion/2000 AD, will co-produce.

Said John Wagner: 'Alex Garland’s script is faithful to the original concept that made Judge Dredd a favourite bad-ass hero. It’s a high-octane slay ride through the dark underbelly of the vast future city. A fan pleaser. With their track record, I have every faith in Alex Garland, Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich.'

Said Alex Garland: 'I grew up reading Judge Dredd. The incredible writers and artists of 2000 AD were formative influences on me. Andrew, Allon and I have developed this adaptation of Judge Dredd with an emphasis on adrenaline and realism, but with all the scale and spectacle of Mega-City One. We think Pete’s propulsive, edgy style is a perfect match for the project.'

The deal was negotiated on behalf of Reliance by IM Global CEO Stuart Ford assisted by attorneys Strook and Strook with DNA principals Macdonald and Reich, DNA head of business affairs Jo Smith, and Miles Ketley of Wiggin & Co. Ford’s IM Global will handle international sales on the project.

Got a few Vallejo posters up as well, Funny you mention the brothers Hildebrandt, there's been a great two part retrospective the last couple issues of Filmfax. Great stuff. As for Jusko, I freakin' LOVE his paintings.
    Alex wrote:
    As for Jusko, I freakin' LOVE his paintings.
    Well I know that you're a Conan fan, Alex so you'll love this Jusko piece. B-)

72Conan20the20BarbarianLG.jpg

Darn, I'm getting the dreaded red X. Cheers for the thought, Rogue!

Since we're on the subject, I've been a HUGE fan of Earl Norem since boyhood. No one could paint a scantily clad damsel in distress better then Earl. Such detail, his covers are FANTASTIC.
    300px-MarvelPreview9.jpg

And here's my favorite Hildebrandt. The famous one we all had as kids. :D (I wonder how long it took for that background!)

newhope.jpg

Sadly, the Conan movie is up in limbo. The crap just continues and continues in regards to the big guy ever making another movie! X-(

EDIT: Must've been my computer, your Jusko piece just came in. Awesome stuff my friend. Thanks!