The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    Several sites including AICN are posting the first tidbits on Captain America's costume from next year's movie. If the stories are to be believed it looks like the movie will be moving away somewhat from the classic 'winghead' costume in favor of something more realistic and practical. There are also a few fan renderings of what the costume may look like based on the info provided, including this one...

capjoblo.jpg

...can't say I care much for this look if it is indeed indicative of the actual design. While it may be more realistic I can't say it looks particularly interesting or iconic. I especially don't care for the helmet, though I've read that this look isn't too far off from what he looks like in the Ultimates books (I don't read them so I can't confirm). I'll wait to see it in action but my initial response is an unexcited meh.

Full article is here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45316
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Hmmm--that reminds me of the terrible TV movie from the 1970s in which Cap indeed wore a motorcycle helmet--and rode a motorcycle as well. If this is legit, it ain't a good sign.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I'll keep my powder dry and refrain from commenting too much on fan renderings; we'll see what comes.

Cap is a tough one; I'm not sure the little white wings on the head will fly (so to speak), unless they were (perhaps) like decals on some sort of protective headware...Frankly, I like this conceptual design a hell of a lot more than the Reb Brown monstrosity from years past, and could live with something like this for the 'origin' film...keep in mind what the effect on Nazi morale would be if someone who looked like this was cutting through the battle lines...IMO, they could do much worse.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Actually it doesn't look that bad. Just paint a pair of sleek modern wings on the sides of a mask. And ditch the helmet and goggles!
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    This Captain America sketch is actually pretty close to what I was envisioning. Essentially it's just the WWII outfit design but with a bit more color. The round shield, though, was not de rigueur with the era. Early talk had mentioned that this Cap movie would focus on his WWII origins, and end with his ice-bound self, which leads to the Avengers film. In that case, I see no problems with the concepts shown here.

NOTE: It's also important to realize that this rendering is a reader's interpretation of a description given by another gentleman. The article's author actually has some praise for what he saw of the 'real' thing.
    edited June 2010
    Here are what AICN claims to be official renderings of Cap's costume. They look better, but I still miss the wings.

capam1.jpg
    capam2.jpg
    capam3.jpg

Go here for the full story and larger versions: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45326
    Looks much better, though I'd prefer red gauntlets.

The Ultimates source. (Which I've never read), I loathe the chin guard but at least they retain the scarlet gloves & six pack ab stripes.

UltimateOrigins_02_Cover.jpg
    TonyDP wrote:
    Here are what AICN claims to be official renderings of Cap's costume. They look better, but I still miss the wings.

capam1.jpg
    capam2.jpg
    capam3.jpg

Go here for the full story and larger versions: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45326

Looks great to me...though I do think they ought to paint some wings on the helmet B-) Nice way of working the red stripes in with the straps...I can definitely live with this.

I don't think there's a comic book character more deserving of proper cinematic treatment than Cap...
    I have to admit, this look is growing on me, and I think it makes sense that Cap's uniform would be a variation on a GI uniform rather than tights. But I'm with Loeffs--paint some wings on that helmet! Hell, they could even make the wings look cool, a la the pained horns on the Minnesota Vikings' helmet.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Very nice. I agree that the we need some wingtips on that helmet, even if they're small silver 'medal-type' adornments. I think they did an excellent job on the red abdomen stripes (those always seemed a bit precocious to me).

I miss the goggles and the traditional shield shape of the WWII look, though...

capww2.jpg
    edited June 2010
    And since we're talking the latest in superhero fashions, here is some alleged concept art from Thor with Chris Hemsworth's head photoshopped in. Again, according to the website, this is an official rendering:

ThorConceptArt1-thumb-550x1207-40137.jpg

Looks good but as with Cap, the headgear (or lack thereof) is a bit of a downer; maybe he'll wear it at some point in the movie. Also, while I know this is just a render, I always envisioned Thor as being a bit more buffed up.

The full article is here: http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/first-pics-of-chris-hemsw.php
    The Thor pic doesn't excite me as much as the Cap one does. Thor almost looks like a cheesy glam-rock act in this rendering. The still live-action image that was release a few weeks back didn't look bad, though, so maybe I'm wrong. I feel Thor should have a more 'natural' Viking look, especially if he's sporting a beard. Give Thor a shave, a helmet, and those yellow strapped boots and this image could really evoke the 'classic' Thor, though.
    The Thor design looks like a Halloween costume you buy at walmart. Those boots are terrible too. Something one of the Power Rangers might wear. All I can say is please try again.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    After seeing Iron Man 2 today and seeing Thors hammer in the sand, I do hope the design is a little better than the one above. Even Thors hammer looks nothing like the picture above. Before I complain more, maybe someone can give me a little back story on Thor. The only time I've ever heard of him was in the movie Adventures In Babysitting and I thought it was a made up character. Oh well. could someone give the backstory on Thor, please?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    The Marvel super hero was based on actual Norse mythology. Like the Greek Olympus, the Nordic Gods resided in their own domain, Asgard. A Viking heaven. Think of Valhalla and Valkyrie maidens and all that badass stuff. Odin was king of the gods. Another Zeus, (Greece), or Jupiter, (Rome)

Loki was the god of mischief and Thor's arch nemesis.

We're all from Midgard. The name the Norse gods gave earth.

Check out wikipedia. ;)
    Cap's reaction to Thor's hammer, the mighty Mjolnir, aimed directly at him. ;)

captain-america-yaaa.jpg
    Mr Martini wrote:
    After seeing Iron Man 2 today and seeing Thors hammer in the sand, I do hope the design is a little better than the one above. Even Thors hammer looks nothing like the picture above. Before I complain more, maybe someone can give me a little back story on Thor. The only time I've ever heard of him was in the movie Adventures In Babysitting and I thought it was a made up character. Oh well. could someone give the backstory on Thor, please?

Mr. M, here's a direct link to Wikipedia's page on Thor; it's a good summary on the character's comic book history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_(Marvel_Comics)

As for the pic, let's not forget that at best this is a rendering done in pre-production, most likely to give marketers an advance look at what they were shooting for. I wouldn't pass judgment on this (or Captain America for that matter) until we get some honest to goodness live action video of the characters in motion as that will be the realy litmus test. Hopefully we'll get a taste at July's Comic Con.
    TonyDP wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:

Mr. M, here's a direct link to Wikipedia's page on Thor; it's a good summary on the character's comic book history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_(Marvel_Comics)

As for the pic, let's not forget that at best this is a rendering done in pre-production, most likely to give marketers an advance look at what they were shooting for. I wouldn't pass judgment on this (or Captain America for that matter) until we get some honest to goodness live action video of the characters in motion as that will be the realy litmus test. Hopefully we'll get a taste at July's Comic Con.

Thanks Tony and Thanks Alex. I shy away from Wikipedia because anyone can edit the pages. But since you both give the seal of approval I'll trust it.
    Alex wrote:
    Cap's reaction to Thor's hammer, the mighty Mjolnir, aimed directly at him. ;)

captain-america-yaaa.jpg

Artwork by the Late Great Jack Kirby B-)
    Here's a little behind-the-scenes tidbit and interview about Thor from Entertainment Tonight.

Setting aside ET's notoriously bad journalism skills, the bit provides some fun teaser shots. And Chris Hemsworth is turning out to be some great casting IMO.

http://io9.com/5560543/behind-the-scenes-thor-footage-includes-your-first-look-at-anthony-hopkins-odin
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    and a little shot of sif as well in there
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    edited June 2010
    The BluRay of Punisher: War Zone was on sale for $15 this past weekend and even though I'm very late to the party (so late that all the other guests have already left) I decided to take the plunge and give it a try.

Overall, I thought it was a moderately enterntaining movie which, in spite of the comic book on which it is based, goes a little too far overboard in terms of the violence and tries a little too hard to ape other comic book movies.

Ray Stevenson's Castle is able to pull off the action (though at times he seems almost bow-legged from the weight of all the weaponry he's forced to carry) but his delivery is often stiff and wooden. His nemesis Jigsaw is an unapologetic low rent version of Jack Nicholson's Joker, right down to the early narcissism, horrific disfigurement and subsequent descent into madness and adoption of a new name. The rest of the cast are largely disposable stereotypes.

I liked the photography with its use of primary colors (mainly blues and yellows) and many of the action sequences are well staged. There are a few genuinely innovative scenes here, such as when Castle takes out three free-running thugs.

Unfortunately, the filmmakers too often just get carried away with the point-blank explosions and gunshots. I know that Frank Castle is an uncompromising man when it comes to meting out justice, but this movie seemed like it was going out of its way in trying to answer that age old question: just how many ways are there to blow a man's face off? By the time Frank literally smashes a man's face in with his bare fist the decapitations were reaching Monty Python levels of absurdity and they started to lose me a little bit. Given some of the quick cuts it's fairly obvious that the original print was probably even gorier (if that's even possible) but a little more subtlety would have gone a long way in making the movie more watchable.

Overall, I'm glad I finally got to see it but I can also see why Lionsgate quickly lost faith in the production and why it was so mercilessly savaged and ignored at the box office. I'll meet it half-way and give it 2½ out of 5 stars.
    Here's a little news item regarding the possibility of a Dr. Strange movie...

Does Disney have plans for Dr. Strange?

It looks like Dr. Strange will finally make his way to a movie theater. According to Deadline.com, the Marvel hero may be among the first crop of films to emerge under the Disney banner.

Apparently, Marvel has hired “Conan” writers Thomas Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer to pen the script about Stan Lee and Steve Ditko’s New York surgeon who loses his sense of touch after an accident and learns to use his mind to defeat evil instead of physical force.

Obviously, this news still leaves room for a number of questions, namely how much money would Marvel throw behind this, and who would play Dr. Strange? But it will likely be a while before any of those are answered.

In the meantime, Marvel is still committed to distribute four other movies through Paramount, including "Iron Man 3," “Thor,” “The First Avenger: Captain America” and most likely “Avengers.”

The Master of the Mystic Arts never ranked high on my Marvel Favorites list (in fact, I don't even think he made the list) but it's nice to see Marvel keeping the film agenda alive.
    Well, this is the first I've seen of it--the trailer for The Green Hornet, starring Seth Rogen:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi616236569/

Personally, I'm not impressed. Rogen seems to be playing his usual sadsack character, and it looks like the producers have caved in to political correctness: Kato is far from GH's servant, he's the guy with the brains, the skills, and the technology; while "the boss" is a bumbler. The movie is coming out in January, the month studios use to release their biggest duds. Could that be a sign?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Still bummed that they're not taking GH seriously X-(

On a brighter note (and only slightly off-topic), this Sunday is my birthday...and I'm on vacation for the next week whilst we hash out the final issues with the book's release...but the Loeffelholz family is planning an excursion to...

(drum roll)

...None other than Metropolis, Illinois, right at the southernmost tip of the state, right across the river from Kentucky...home of the largest Superman memorabilia museum on Earth B-) Yeah...gonna geek out with the boys and the Missus :) Maybe stay a couple of days, and just see what there is to do---even if it's just swimming in a hotel pool for a day! Full report when I return...
    Coming to you live from the lobby computer (complimentary internet, don't you know B-) ) of the Super 8 Motel in Metropolis. Just went and took pictures by the huge bronze Superman statue and the new statue of Noel Neill (as Lois Lane in the '50s TV show), and browsed some super items in the superstore. Tomorrow we'll do the Super Museum.

If you're ever in the neighborhood, you ought to stop by. This is classic small town Americana in its purest distillation...and if you've ever opened a comic book (Superman or otherwise) there's bound to be something here to bring a smile. Pics to follow when I'm able...
    Mm48r.jpg

Inscription beneath Noel Neill's statue

Ml7h0.jpg

Loeff III (left) and Loeff Jr with Lois Lane

f21g0.jpg

The Town Square

MmvA0.jpg

Loeff Jr., Loeff III...and Mrs. Loeffelholz, riding on the big man's coattails... B-)
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Its story, Sony Pictures said earlier this year, will take the superhero back to his origins and focus on "a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises."

How is this any different from the first three?

Anyway, I'm pretty sick of origin stories. If they ever redo JAWS there'll probably be a lengthy backstory on Bruce the shark. A straight up adventure without emotional baggage would be nice for once!
    Mr Martini wrote:

Well, he looks the part--but I still don't like the "reboot" idea. We'll see. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto