The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    edited October 2010
    I really don't like the names attached to Superman. Looks like it's going to be long and brooding film totally absent of character development with lousy, slow-motion action.

Looks like I am going to be sticking with Marvel films.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    It is rumored that General Zod will be the main villain of the movie. Full story is on numerous sites including this one.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/108271-zack-snyder-confirmed-for-superman

Personally, I'm really happy with Snyder being given the reins. I thought he did a great job with Watchmen and I'm hopeful that he'll bring the same respect for the material to Superman. He can also definitely frame a good action sequence.

general-zod.jpg

"I win!....I always win..." :))

After seeing Watchmen I called this and I stuck with that gut feeling ever since. Snyder's stylish vision can more than attone for the 2006 trainwreck provided to the masses from that hack. I'm in agreement that Snyder can pull this off as well, gentlemen. However...

...I am positively nervous about Goyer potentially penning this. I just don't have much faith in his abilities.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    I really wish Sam Raimi would be directing this film instead. He would have a sense of humor about the material.
    Ricardo C. wrote:
    I really wish Sam Raimi would be directing this film instead. He would have a sense of humor about the material.
    Just a guess here but I just don't think that Raimi is ready to exhaust his energies on another tentpole superhero franchise as he just got out of a power struggle, over creative differences, with Sony on the direction of the next Spiderman sequel. We all know how that worked out.

I don't think that he was ever on WB's radar with Superman.

RogueAgent wrote:
    Ricardo C. wrote:
    Just a guess here but I just don't think that Raimi is ready to exhaust his energies on another tentpole superhero franchise as he just got out of a power struggle, over creative differences, with Sony on the direction of the next Spiderman sequel. We all know how that worked out.

RogueAgent, I wasn't making a serious proposal here.:)) I know he wouldn't have been favored. I think a realistic choice would have been Jon Favreau.
    Ricardo C. wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Ricardo C. wrote:

RogueAgent, I wasn't making a serious proposal here.:)) I know he wouldn't have been favored. I think a realistic choice would have been Jon Favreau.

Oh, okay. Please pardon me then. I like what Favs did for Iron Man and all but this late in the game, he's busy filming the comic book Cowboys & Aliens with Daniel Craig and once initial photography wraps, he'll be way too busy with the post-production aspect of it all.

Warner can't afford to wait on him seeing that time is of the essence to get Superman going. Snyder is not only a good choice to direct, he's manageable enough for the studio heads to be flexible. He just doesn't come across as some sort of director diva.

Bryan Singer's hubrice was that he thought he was bigger than any franchise and that is why SR under-performed critically and arguably financially with him tampering so poorly with the character's mythos. He was better off staying with the X-Men franchise and closing out his trilogy.

edited October 2010
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Ricardo C. wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Oh, okay. Please pardon me then. I like what Favs did for Iron Man and all but this late in the game, he's busy filming the comic book Cowboys & Aliens with Daniel Craig and once initial photography wraps, he'll be way too busy with the post-production aspect of it all.

Warner can't afford to wait on him seeing that time is of the essence to get Superman going. Snyder is not only a good choice to direct, he manageable enough for the studio heads to be flexible. He just doesn't come across as some sort of director diva.

Bryan Singer's hubrice was that he thought he was bigger than any franchise and that is why SR under-performed critically and arguably financially with him tampering so poorly with the character's mythos. He was better off staying with the X-Men franchise and closing out his trilogy.

I fail to see how Synder is a good director. I thought 300 and Watchmen were terrible especially because of the inept, slow-motion action scenes. However, I do see how he could be something good for the studio.

This new Superman is looking mighty grim IMO. I am sure it'll make a ton of money though. People are obessed with the "darker" brooding super heroes.
    Ricardo C. wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Ricardo C. wrote:

Warner can't afford to wait on him seeing that time is of the essence to get Superman going. Snyder is not only a good choice to direct, he manageable enough for the studio heads to be flexible. He just doesn't come across as some sort of director diva.

I fail to see how Synder is a good director. I thought 300 and Watchmen were terrible especially because of the inept, slow-motion action scenes. However, I do see how he could be something good for the studio.

This new Superman is looking mighty grim IMO. I am sure it'll make a ton of money though. People are obessed with the "darker" brooding super heroes.

I can respect your opinion on Snyder but in his defense, it was a win-lose situation with taking on Watchmen. I mean the story is almost impossible to film in the first place. Vital parts of the book had to be sacrificed for the sake of time and people griped, other complaints I've heard is that he followed the book too faithfully.
    He did OD me with the slo-mo in 300 though; it started out pretty cool and then it just got monotonous.

And you're right about fans wanting the complex, brooding hero nowadays. It's overrrated and overplayed. If people cannot accept the fact that they're paying to go into a theatre and watch a COMIC BOOK movie then that their own insecurities. It's all fantasy anyway.

Speaking of Superman, has anyone played or seen footage of Superman Returns: The Game ? They made Bradon Routh WAY more muscular than he was in the film.
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    I think Snyder has the geek cred to pull it off.

with Nolan as the "Godfather" hopefully he can tone down some of Goyer's iffy writing and Snyder's slo-mo which I don't think will work with Supes if over used, but was actually one of the best shots in Returns.
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    edited October 2010
    Raimi's films are far too quirky for my tastes and seeing how he turned Peter Parker into a human dishrag (Peter shoud be something of an outcast, but not a leper) I cringe at the thought of what he would have done with Clark Kent. Superman Returns already gave us the emo Superman, no need to go there again.

As for Goyer, I agree that his solo writing projects aren't the best but from what I've read he's been closely shepherded by Chrisopher and Jonathan Nolan. Besides, I'm sure Snyder will have input into the script as well.

Making Zod the primary villain seems like a good move (if in fact it turns out to be true) as he can match Superman physically while also being a master strategist. I would have preferred Darkseid but Zod will work as well.

In terms of going dark, I very much doubt we'll be getting a somber and brooding Superman. While that approach worked for Batman just about every other successful comics adaptation in the last 5 years has had ample doses of humor. Films like Iron Man show that you can have fun and still be mega-successsful and all indications are that Green Lantern is also veering away from that tone. You do what's best for the character and Superman has always been about hope and optimism.

I'm expecting some significant announcements on this fairly soon as the film rights revert to the Shuster estate if the film is not in production by the end of the calendar year. I also like the fact that they're aiming for a Christmas 2012 release; the movie could clean up at the box office with that kind of counter-programming mentality.
    edited October 2010
    TonyDP wrote:
    In terms of going dark, I very much doubt we'll be getting a somber and brooding Superman.

Probably not as heavy handed as Batman but I still find it a concern with Goyer writing the script.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    I know I'm inviting howls of derision here...but if it were up to me, I'd put Tom Welling in the tights, Erica Durance at Lois Lane's desk and sign Michael McKean as Perry White...wipe everyone's memories (except for Clark's) in the Smallville TV finale and transition to the big screen B-)

I know I'm pretty much the only Smallville fan here...but I think Welling is perfect. And he's earned it.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I know I'm inviting howls of derision here...but if it were up to me, I'd put Tom Welling in the tights, Erica Durance at Lois Lane's desk and sign Michael McKean as Perry White...wipe everyone's memories (except for Clark's) in the Smallville TV finale and transition to the big screen B-)

I know I'm pretty much the only Smallville fan here...but I think Welling is perfect. And he's earned it.

"Shame...We barely got to know each other." BLAM ! :))
    Ricardo C. wrote:

Surprise surprise 8-)
    Ricardo C. wrote:

Surprise surprise 8-)

Hey c'mon now ! I could have stabbed you instead. :p
    Ricardo C. wrote:
    Ricardo C. wrote:

Surprise surprise 8-)

Hey c'mon now ! I could have stabbed you instead. :p

Dryden didn't have any ammo in his gun, as it turned out...and Bond did ;)

I just enjoy Welling's take on the character. Sure, he's no Brandon Routh, but...anyway, to me it makes more sense than a lot of other options, given the show's audience...and the timing of the new feature a year after Smallville wraps...

'Nuff said. I pretty much always get slapped around when I opine on comic book film adaptations {:)
    Dryden didn't have any ammo in his gun, as it turned out...and Bond did ;)

Oh I had my gun loaded. However, I forgot that my aiming sucks. :p

Sure, he's no Brandon Routh, but...anyway, to me it makes more sense than a lot of other options

Personally I think Welling is miles better than Routh. However, neither actor leaves an impression on me.

I'm having trouble finding the "howls of derision" emoticon. :))

Personally my Smallville problems were more with the entire premise than Welling, who actually looked fine to me the few times I tuned in (such as the awesome JSA episode). I wouldn't be averse to giving him a shot although he has to get a haircut.

There are rumors swirling around that WB would like to have John Hamm play Superman. He's pushing 40 so doesn't seem to fit their current casting model of going young for the sake of the franchise but he probably wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Either way I think Routh is history; while I thought he was fine given how little he had to do, he is probably he is too strongly associated with the Superman Returns misfire. Casting him in a complete reboot would be a little confusing. Kind of like rebooting Bond but keeping the same actress as M. ;) :v
    TonyDP wrote:
    I wouldn't be averse to giving him a shot although he has to get a haircut.

That's what I was thinking. At the very least, a haircut would make him look the part.

Also maybe WB could get away with casting a nearly 40 year old Superman. No one seemed to care that Daniel Craig was nearly 40 himself and yet he suppose to be a "rookie" James Bond.
    edited October 2010
    My brother and I saw Jonah Hex last night. Josh Brolin plays the titular character, a bounty hunter with a disfigured face and the odd ability to communicate with the dead who is recruited by President Ulysses S. Grant to stop renegade Confederate terrorist Quentin Turnbull from unleashing a devastating weapon of mass destruction on the eve of the country's first centennial celebration.

The film apparently had a troubled production and it shows in the finished product as the story is extremely disjointed with characters popping in seemingly out of nowhere and events occurring without much in the way of explanation. Clocking in at a modest 70 minutes before the end credits its pretty obvious that a lot of material was left on the cutting room floor as subplots such as Hex's seeming inability to die and repeated visits to an afterlife limbo where you're supposed to address your "unfinished business" are left hazy and ambiguous.

The movie also seems to take some liberties with the comic book character on which it is based as I don't recall the origin of Hex's disfigurement to be what was depicted here; nor do I recall him being able to reanimate the dead.

Josh Brolin does a serviceable job as Hex though between the facial appliances he wears and his gruff, clipped delivery he is often hard to understand. The rest of the cast is pretty weak. John Malkovich, who you'd think would chew up the scenery in a movie like this, gives an oddly restrained, borderline disinterested performance as the main heavy. Megan Fox is pretty but largely superfluous as the virtuous call girl Leila and in an especially odd touch, all her facial closeups seem to have been digitally smoothed.

The movie also has one of the most unbalanced soundtracks I've ever suffered thru with the dialog really low in the mix and the explosions and other sound effects amped up to painful levels; the heavy-metal score by Mastodon is another odd choice that doesn't really work. Visually the film is all over the map with overblown daylight scenes, murky nighttime scenes where its hard to make things out (possibly to hide the subpar effects and CG) and an oversaturated color palette (the grass in some scenes is so green it almost seems radioactive).

There are a few flourishes, such as a sequence early on when Hex tries to collect on a bounty, but overall its a pretty pedestrian, unbalanced often confusing affair.
    This was one I saw a while back and I was happy to rediscover it. This was a very well produced fan trailer of a Batman & Superman movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWpfBa4nGMM&feature=related
    edited October 2010
    Entertainment weekly has the first official pic of Chris Evans in costume as Captain America and here it is:

EW-1127-COVER-CAPTAIN-AMERICA_300.jpg

There's an article on the movie in the new issue of EW as well; portions of which are at this link (beware of some minor plot spoilers therein):
    http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/28/captain-america-chris-evans-2/

EDIT: There are more pictures from the EW magazine at the link below including one of Cap with the Golden Age shield, so it looks like he uses both at some point in the film:

captainamericaewscans3.jpg captainamericaewscans5.jpg

captainamericaewscans9.jpg

More Pics at Link: http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/109625-more-captain-america-photos
    Happy Halloween! Wanna see something really scary? Click on the link below to see some pics of Superman's suit from Superman Lives, an abomination of a film that was to have been directed by Tim Burton and starred Nicholas Cage (yes, that Nicholas Cage) as the Man of Steel. Luckily, the film was never made but we can all now see what the filmmakers were going for. Be afraid. Be very afraid....

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/109715-costume-photos-from-superman-lives
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Wow...Now I'm definitely glad that this was never realized (I never cared for the Nicholas Cage concept of Superman, anyway). Here's one piece of pop culture that actually escaped Tim Burton's defecation process and could be one of Superman's greatest victories.

From a technical standpoint, I have to admire the mechanics of the suit design, though. With a bit more work, its "seamless" quality could actually be a good premise for Iron Man's original gold and crimson armor (which I always liked more than the modern clunky look.)
    TonyDP wrote:
    Happy Halloween! Wanna see something really scary? Click on the link below to see some pics of Superman's suit from Superman Lives, an abomination of a film that was to have been directed by Tim Burton and starred Nicholas Cage (yes, that Nicholas Cage) as the Man of Steel. Luckily, the film was never made but we can all now see what the filmmakers were going for. Be afraid. Be very afraid....

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/109715-costume-photos-from-superman-lives

Ah so this is the actual "Super Suit". I have seen the concept drawings before. It's really ugly to say the least. Now I am starting to appericate Batman's wear it in Nolan's films. :))
    This pic also made the rounds a few months ago...

nic_cage_superman.jpg

...At the time I wasn't sure if it was on the level, but based on other stuff that's been released I'm now inclined to think it's legit. It's scary to think that the suits at WB let that movie get as far into preproduction as it did.

And yeah, all of a sudden Nolan's batsuit and Routh's Superman outfit don't look quite as bad.
    TonyDP wrote:

nic_cage_superman.jpg

...At the time I wasn't sure if it was on the level, but based on other stuff that's been released I'm now inclined to think it's legit. It's scary to think that the suits at WB let that movie get as far into preproduction as it did.

They made the Halle Berry Catwoman movie Tony. This does not shock me. :))
    TonyDP wrote:

nic_cage_superman.jpg

And yeah, all of a sudden Nolan's batsuit and Routh's Superman outfit don't look quite as bad.
    Is that Tiny Tim? :)) :)) :))

I merely told my friend about that Superman photo and he couldn't stop laughing.

Speaking of Superman, has anyone looked at the new design ?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/it_new_look_for_superman_wWxd8MApuHBFBmh0b3a4eK

I am really tired of pretty, whiny, boys taking the place of manly men in film and comics ! C'mon, more Wayne Boring and less girly ! Less Robert Pattison and more Robert Mitchum !