The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Eeek. Is that Peter Parker or Fabian?

A few of the other shots Tony provided are interesting. I don't much care for the shiny costume either. Especially the nike symbol on his hip. I'd prefer a rattier, more home-made version. But in this day and age, I doubt THAT will ever happen. That one unfortunate picture with mask and hoodie? Rather terrorist looking.

But at least there's the original hand held web shooters. And the Lizard was one of my favorite old school Spidey villains.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff
    I will also add, that I saw a trailer for Captain America while seeing Transformers and that also left me cold. Had the look of a B movie and I didn't care for the costume.

I saw that trailer too...although it had the opposite effect on me...again (like GL ) I have a very limited knowledge as far as Captain America goes....but the trailer looked good to me....I'd still wait for reviews before handing over my money though....
    YNWA 97
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:

Personally, I thought that they were going for the Edward Cullen aesthetic albeit his pallor isn't pasty enough. He does look very Twilight-ish in many of the movie stills. :))
    But at least there's the original hand held web shooters. And the Lizard was one of my favorite old school Spidey villains.
    Alex, it's funny you should say that because I was discussing this very thing with my son the other day; I have never cared for The Lizard nor for his competing "tortured scientist" equivalent Kurt Langstrom (Man-Bat) when I was growing up. I don't really know why but I remember dodging those upcoming issues if I saw they were the guest villians.

To be fair, the Lizard (especially Romita, Sr's art) fits better in Spidey's fantastical world than Langstrom ever did in Bat's. I didn't care if Neal Adams was drawing it.

And they're both named Curt/Kurt. :D
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Alex wrote:

Personally, I thought that they were going for the Edward Cullen aesthetic albeit his pallor isn't pasty enough. He does look very Twilight-ish in many of the movie stills. :))
    Alex, it's funny you should say that because I was discussing this very thing with my son the other day; I have never cared for The Lizard nor for his competing "tortured scientist" equivalent Kurt Langstrom (Man-Bat) when I was growing up. I don't really know why but I remember dodging those upcoming issues if I saw they were the guest villians.

To be fair, the Lizard (especially Romita, Sr's art) fits better in Spidey's fantastical world than Langstrom ever did in Bat's. I didn't care if Neal Adams was drawing it.

And they're both named Curt/Kurt. :D
    Think you nailed it on the head, Rogue. By jove, that is the Twilight-teen throb look. Another reason to dislike it :))

Ah dude, I was a horror fan, and the Lizard was a monstuh. I must admit I loved his tortured personality. Everyone raves about Doc Ock and Green Goblin but I have a strong fondness for more obscure villains. Baddies like the Shocker, the Scorpion and that mental case Kraven were wonderful kooky characters.

I wasn't familiar with Man-Bat. Sometimes tells me he was DC. :D
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Hey Napoleon, since you seem to be into the merging of music and comics, check out this clip from the Spiderman musical....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cqm8ZW3gwU

Ha ha! That's brilliant! Though Doc Oc should wash all his hands of course.

BTW how is the 3D TV coming along? Watched any, you know...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited July 2011
    Not real big on Spidey and that cover leaves me cold. Just can't wrap my arms around the whole Spiderman story, bit by a spider blah blah blah, now flies through the air shooting a web,etc. It's all just too much.

I will also add, that I saw a trailer for Captain America while seeing Transformers and that also left me cold. Had the look of a B movie and I didn't care for the costume.

I find myself becoming less and less interested in Captain America with each passing trailer. While the movie doesn't look bad per se, I'm just having a hard time getting excited for yet another Marvel adaptation.

By and large Marvel comics fall into two distinct groups: teen angst mixed with social awkwardness (Spiderman, X-Men) and rock-em, sock-em, punch first ask questions later (Thor, Hulk, Captain America). I liked them as a kid but as I get older I grow more and more weary of their formula. I couldn't even muster the interest to see X-Men: First Class and while I'll probably see Captain America, its not a sure thing and I'm certainly not going to go out of my way.

BTW how is the 3D TV coming along? Watched any, you know...

30 3D Blurays and counting, with Priest, Thor, Green Lantern and Transformers 3 all due between August and November.

As for the "you know", no I haven't (nor do I have any real desire to as the thought of 3D "you know" is just a bit too disturbing) but this might be of interest to you (and for everyone else, this is so not safe for work :)) )

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50380
    You can see the official teaser trailer to Spiderman here...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50457

...can't say I care much for what they show and the whole notion of rebooting this franchise after only 10 years really feels pointless and smacks of a lack of creative ideas to me.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff
    TonyDP wrote:
    You can see the official teaser trailer to Spiderman here...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50457

...can't say I care much for what they show and the whole notion of rebooting this franchise after only 10 years really feels pointless and smacks of a lack of creative ideas to me.

Being from the UK, comic books were never a 'must' for me....the only two superheroes I'd read on a semi-regular basis were Spiderman and Daredevil.....
    ...this 'new' Spiderman does have it's work cut out...I thought the Raimi Spidey films were excellent...and the trailer for this new one doesn't grab me at all....it just seems to lack a certain something....
    YNWA 97
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ...this 'new' Spiderman does have it's work cut out...I thought the Raimi Spidey films were excellent...and the trailer for this new one doesn't grab me at all....it just seems to lack a certain something....

Agreed. Frankly, this looks like a trailer for a horror movie--it's like Peter Parker won't turn into our Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man but into a bloodsucking monster that must be hunted down at night. Dark, brooding, angst-ridden childhood flashbacks. . .maybe this should be Spider-Man Begins or The Dark Spider?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I seem to have the feeling I've seen this Movie, Only a few years ago. :))
    Is this just some cheap rip off of "Superhero Movie " !
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Remember that Wonder Woman pilot starring Adrienne Palicki that David Kelley was producing? It never got picked up and after seeing these clips I can see why. Ms. Palicki looks quite fetching in the traditional outfit with the blue short shorts (you see the "classic" version of the WW costume about halfway thru the first clip) and the action is actually pretty good for a TV movie, but the acting and dialog are beyond cheese. The lasso also seems to a bit strange in a few clips, though it could just be the poor quality of the video. Have a look....

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50485
    Oy. . .that WW stuff was painful. . .especially the last one, with WW discussing her image with consultants! Someone call J. J. Abrams. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited July 2011
    I saw Captain America: The First Avenger in 3D with my brother today. I really hadn't been following this movie closely so I went in to see it without any real expectations and came away thinking that its probably the best of this summer's comic book movies, although it is by no means perfect and shares a lot of problems common to many of these films.

Set primarily during World War II, the story centers on 98 pound weakling Steve Rogers, who is constantly being rejected in his efforts to join the army. A chance encounter with a German doctor named Erskine, who is working on a special project for the US Government finally gives Rogers the chance to serve his country. Before you can say Super Soldier, Rogers is transformed into the perfect male specimen and whisked off ... to do propaganda work for the USO; not exactly how he envisioned serving his country. When a group of soldiers including his best fried Bucky Barnes are captured by the forces of Hydra, a special Nazi science think tank headed by the evil Johann Schmidt, Rogers decides to disobey orders and mount a rescue, thus truly earning the name Captain America. From there Rogers and his team take the fight to Schmidt, also known as The Red Skull, who is toying with powers far beyond anything the Allies can withstand and has his own plans that go far beyond even the ambitions of the Nazis.

The main problem with Captain America is that, like all origin stories, we're forced to sit thru a lot of exposition and character introductions before cutting to the chase. A good hour is spent showing us why Rogers is the perfect man to become Captain America and even after his fateful transformation we're subjected to an extended and sometimes eyeball-rolling sequence of clips showing Rogers in costume and full propaganda mode, making movies and appearing in choreographed show tunes to entertain the troops. Once Rogers finally goes on his first real mission the action is pretty much non-stop but the trip to get us there could have been somewhat brisker. We are also subjected to yet another shoe-horned romantic subplot between Rogers and his MI6 liaison, Peggy Carter which, as is always the case in these kinds of movies, doesn't really go anywhere.

The cast is uniformly good; Chris Evans makes for an earnest and noble Steve Rogers without so much as a hint of the cocky Johnny Storm from his Fantastic Four days. Hayley Atwell makes the most of her scenes as Peggy and is a likeable if somewhat bland leading lady. Tommy Lee Jones is suitably craggy and gravelly as Rogers' field commander Col. Phillips. Stanley Tucci plays the sympathetic German Erskine with a likable believability. Dum Dum Dugan and a more racially and ethnically diverse Howling Commandos than I remember also make appearances and are each given their moment. Sebastian Stan makes for an odd Bucky, who here is the same age as Cap and functions as pretty much another soldier, a major departure from the comics where Bucky's relationship with Captain America was more akin to Robin and Batman. The real standout is Hugo Weaving as Schimdt/Red Skull, who clearly relishes his screen time and engages in some well staged villainy.

The film has lots of nods to other WWII fantasy efforts (look for a little nod to Raiders of the Lost Ark very early on) as well as pretty strong ties to the larger Marvel Universe. Tony Stark's father, Howard Stark has a pretty major role, acting as Cap's personal Q-Branch and giving him some nice toys to play with. The central mcguffin of the film ties directly to Thor and his Asgardian realm, and of course it wouldn't be a Marvel film without the obligatory appearances of Stan Lee and Nick Fury. The hardware that Hydra and Howard Stark put on display was the highlight for me as we get imaginative weapons and vehicles that give the movie a very distinctive look.

In terms of 3D, this is another post-conversion, but director Joe Johnston wisely shot the film with 3D in mind and as such the sense of depth is actually very good most of the time. Johnston was very careful in his placement of objects throughout the foreground and background and that helps to sell the 3D effect. The opening scenes in the arctic have an especially nice sense of depth to them. There isn't much in the way of stuff coming out of the screen but one scene of Cap's shield bouncing off a tank and flying toward you was so convincing I actually flinched in my seat before remembering it was just a movie.

So overall, Joe Johnston has probably made the best Marvel comic book movie since the first Iron Man; it isn't perfect and takes a little too long to get going but once it does its a great ride until the very end.

And of course, as this is a Marvel film, there is the obligatory scene after the credits; this time we are treated to a full-blown preview of The Avengers, coming next May, so do make sure to stick around and don't blink too much as the action is fast and the quick cuts are even faster.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    As always, Tony, your reviews are very precise and an excellent measure of the film. I'd have to agree with about 80%...as for those parts that I don't, they're minor. For one, I didn't think the film dragged on with the exposition of Roger's character. Could it have been tightened? Probably, but I was never bored and at one point I was actually thinking to myself (shortly before Rogers underwent the experiment) that I appreciated the fact that the script was taking it's time to turn him into Captain America. In a sense, it echoed the sentiment that Rogers was already a 'hero' personality and didn't need the Super Soldier serum to make him somebody worth watching. As far as the romance between Cap and Carter, I thought it was perfect. Roger's shyness and Carter's coldness created a excellent tension for their relationship...but this is an action movie, so I felt that the fact that the relationship was seen but not developed made perfect sense. The tie-in with the Cosmic Cube being an piece of Asgardian tech was different from the comics, but neatly fits in with the continuing Marvel stroyline. All in all, I'd have to say Captain America is the best superhero effort this year and is at least on par with the original Iron Man.
    Interested in this one, but I do feel some of these films really should be seen at some local fleapit cinema with no pretensions... all these big films however do have pretensions and have to recoup the box office. I was surprised to see the first series of Wonder Woman which was set in WW2 (that never got shown in the UK) and it does seem a tad tasteless, you know, why not send her to sort out Austwitz or something, if they're that good.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I think you're confusing entertainment with social commentary and unfairly criticizing Captain America by pinning on it a complaint that could be easily applied to any action film.

These comic book movies are escapist fare; its one thing to touch on real world problems in a peripheral manner but quite another to actually make them the focus of the film as that kind of approach can easily backfire when real-world events encroach on your movie and render it pointless.

The reason Wonder Woman didn't go to Autstwitz is the same reason James Bond never went after Al Qeda or any other real world terrorist group; many people would probably be insulted by trivializing real world problems and having a fictional character like Bond neatly solve them with a few explosions. No action heroes have ever really crossed that line; not Bond or Scharzennegger' characters or Indiana Jones (who famously fought Nazis but also never really crossed paths with any real world events or characters, other than getting Hitler's autograph - which, incidentally, a lot of people were offended by).

The way Captain America circumvents this in the film is that the filmmakers don't really let him go up against the Nazis, he goes up against Hydra, which is portrayed in the film as a high-tech offshoot of the Nazis.
    I took in Captain America last night. My gripe was a bit on the lines of Tony's--it seemed to be mostly set-up with only a very small payoff; and I know enough of the character to be a little miffed at the in-name-only Bucky and at Steve Rogers running around without a secret identity. That said, the movie really is pure fun. I was never bored and I thought Hugo Weaving was excellent as Red Skull, bringing to the character a certain suave manner to compliment his hideous face. Heck, I even enjoyed the tie-ins to Iron Man and Thor, even though I know it all goes to promote this Avengers movie, which is now so thoroughly hyped that the end result is likely to be a huge disappointment.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hi Tony DP, the thing is, these guys are superheroes whereas Indy and Bond aren't, they're human. Of course I don't seriously expect them to send Wonder Woman to sort out real WW2 horrors, but then again it's the same a bit with time travel movies, why not go back and reveal something of real import?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited July 2011
    We'll have to agree to disagree Napoleon. From my perspective characters like Indiana Jones or even James Bond (before he became imaginatively bankrupt during the Craig era) were for all practical purposes comic book characters, both in terms of their exploits and out of this world adventures. At least, that's how I see it.

Switching gears, when Bryan Singer released his uneven Superman Returns several years ago, there was much chatter about an early (possibly pre-credits) sequence in which Superman visits the remains of Krypton. The scene was ultimately cut from the film and for years fans have wondered just what it was like. Well, it has finally been released to the public, first as part of the recent Superman Anthology Blu-Ray set and now via Youtube. Here's a link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L254X_Mt5YA&feature=player_embedded
    edited August 2011
    Here's a first look at Henry Cavill as SUPERMAN!

manofsteelsupermanbig.jpg

I'm lovin' it! Especially the huge 1940s-50s era "S" on his chest from the comics. Doesn't look like he's wearing the classic red trunks but it doesn't take away from the aesthetic. B-)

Click here for a larger view:

http://www.comingsoon.net/nextraimages/manofsteelsupermanbig.jpg

• Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    Still not sure about the hyper detailing on his suit it's a bit like the spiderman and star trek suits, it'll probably grow on me
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    edited August 2011
    Agent_M wrote:
    Still not sure about the hyper detailing on his suit it's a bit like the spiderman and star trek suits, it'll probably grow on me
    The fabric texture was probably the furthest from my mind to worry about when I was anticipating the final look of the new costume. Just like Star Trek reboot, I think that the old school sensibilities of the Supes' costume remain intact not to offend the purists & fans. I can accept that because it didn't take away from nor distract me from what I was familar with also, it could be a popular fabric that's comfortable on the actors? Although in the case of Cavill's I don't see how. It looks rubbery... Just speculating.

They got the collar right; I really hated Singer's tucked in crewneck look and coffee saucer "S".

Hmmm. . .OK, I guess, except it looks to me a bit like Supes's suit is more for deep-sea diving than flying through the solar system. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Not bad but the "S" shield just doesn't do it for me; from that angle it looks like the IDAK shield from Lost in Space. Got to say, Brandon Routh looked more like Superman than Cavill does here.

lostinspace_idak_120x200.jpg
    Crush! Kill! Destroy!!!
    edited August 2011
    TonyDP wrote:
    Not bad but the "S" shield just doesn't do it for me; from that angle it looks like the IDAK shield from Lost in Space. Got to say, Brandon Routh looked more like Superman than Cavill does here.

lostinspace_idak_120x200.jpg
    Crush! Kill! Destroy!!!
    Had a feeling a Tony quip would be the response to this; don't know how...I just knew it. :))

I don't know; I like the uni at first glance and after the comic drubbing I got from my Marvel fan associates on Green Lantern's film, I'm looking for anything positive from DC movie-wise since I lean more that way.

Personally I love the retro look of the "S" and at least you can see it unlike the bat emblem on Nolan's robo-Batman costume.

As far as cosmetic comparisons, Routh, Allyn, Cavill or the padded George Reeves are all subjective arguments to me because there will never be another perfect Superman after the greatness of the late Christopher Reeve which I think, at least, is fact.

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    The costume's not bad, even if I don't think it was necessary to try to 'take it to the next level'. I think they could have gotten somebody better than Andrew Dice Clay to play Superman, though.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Had a feeling a Tony quip would be the response to this; don't know how...I just knew it. :))

That's because you know I'm right. :p

Getting back to the pic, this may just be a costume test to give the suits at WB a idea of what they're going for. Cavill has been sporting the trademark Superman spit-curl in several recent pics and he doesn't have it here so it could still be a work in progress. While I don't hate it, I do hope they work on it some more. I saw the higher res version and I'm not really sold on the rubber look or the texture.
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    he was also saying that he's on 5000 cals a day to bulk up for supes so your right it could be an early test released to keep us fanboys happy
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    Got to say, a big problem with the likes of the new breed of actors: James Franco in Apes (and Spidey), the Green Lantern guy and the new Captain America - they're awful in interviews. Utterly dull and charisma-free. Craig is sort of on a par with this, has to be said, though at least he simmers with anger a bit.

Their interviews and personality give me no real impetus to see any of their films.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    How would youguys feel if the Big Hydra secret for Cpt America to defeat wwas,...................
    .............. To increase water prices in Bolivia ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."