The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Another photo of Spiderman has been released. You'll also find the title of the movie in the short article.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/114/1149570p1.html
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Another photo of Spiderman has been released. You'll also find the title of the movie in the short article.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/114/1149570p1.html

I'm pretty blah about this movie, since I don't think an all-out reboot is needed; but I'm intrigued by this: it looks like Spidey actually has metal webshooters. No more goo coming out the wrists, I s'pose. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    I cannot belie that this is the very best Marel could do when it comes to Captain America..All wrong.In a wors,terrible.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with a bad taste in their mouth from the Captain America trailer. Being a big fan of Cap, I almost feel guilty for not getting excited about the upcoming movie. Something about isn't right...it just doesn't feel like Cap.

Red Skull looks okay, though.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I see Amy Adams had been hired to play Lois Lane in the Superman reboot. Good choice in my book, attractive, good actress and can play adorable. Curios as to what hair color she will go with, IMO she should keep her reddish hair, despite the fact that in the comics books she was a brunette. At least the books I read.
    I see Amy Adams had been hired to play Lois Lane in the Superman reboot. Good choice in my book, attractive, good actress and can play adorable. Curios as to what hair color she will go with, IMO she should keep her reddish hair, despite the fact that in the comics books she was a brunette. At least the books I read.

My father, who turns 80 in two months, has often mentioned that, in the 1940s, when he read the Superman comic books Lois always had dark hair, but in the Sunday comics she was a redhead. . .so there would be some precedence for a ginger Lois. And I'm happy with Amy Adams myself!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    And here's more comic-book-movie news. . .and it's bad. Yet another reboot? Can we please remove that word from moviemakers' lexicon?

http://www.popeater.com/2011/03/29/batman-reboot/
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    " they'll need to "reinvent" Batman after this third film" Why? I like a dark Batman, I have greatly enjoyed the films, I haven't heard anyone say, "gee I am tired of Batman". I am with Hardy, the word reboot can go away.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Totaly agree, a Batman reboot, Why? They've only got Two movies done so far and their already talking about a reboot, It's crazy.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    With regard to Amy Adams, the thing I find somewhat interesting is that at 36 she is nine years older than Cavill and not the typical 20-something that is usually cast in movies like this. Nice to see that Hollywood is still willing to go with actors over 30 every once in a while.

Somewhat worrisome however is the critical and box office performance of Zack Snyder's latest film Sucker Punch. Reviews and word of mouth haven't been kind and it is already in the running for worst film of the year (no small feat considering it's only March). The saving for Superman will be that Snyder isn't writing the script but I hope the negative buzz around Sucker Punch won't taint Superman before it even gets going.

With regard to Batman being rebooted, I'm of the mind that the word is being bandied around too loosely. I'd be shocked if after Dark Knight Rises the character gets reset back to his origin yet again. The scuttlebutt is that WB is aiming for an Avengers style group movie down the road and that the character will be tweaked in future films to not make him the complete loner that he is in Nolan's movies and that's probably a necessary modification if he is to eventually be a part of a Justice League movie. And if they do completely reboot him ... I'll just blame Michael Wilson and Barbara Broccoli. :p
    The new Captain America trailer has been out for a little bit...thought I'd post a link. It's a slight improvement from the teaser trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZxRuxSZfzw

Notable bits are the appearance of Tony Stark's father, and a glimpse of Dum Dum Dugan in Cap's team...The Howling Commandos maybe?
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Snyder may be a hack, but he cast Michael Shannon as General Zod, doesn't suck.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/20161/michael-shannon-is-general-zod
    This one hasn't received much buzz, and when I first heard of it I thought, "Meh, once more to the well;" but, since seeing the trailers, I think X-Men: First Class actually looks pretty decent. I'm sure purists will carp about a young, mobile, and hirsute Professor X; but I like the period setting (early 1960s Cold War) and blue-and-yellow costumes that recall the original uniforms. Yep, looks like I might be checking this one out. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Took the opportunity to see X-Men:First Class this weekend, and am on the fence. Some parts were brilliant, and others were simply lame. I was pleased to see how well the film fits in with the X-Men film canon (that admittedly strays greatly from the comics canon), but it ran into the problem of a lack of intriguing core characters, since the more popular characters had already been used in the 'present day' films...There's a reason we don't hear much about Banshee. I groaned inwardly during the scene in which Mystique decided they should all have 'code-names', but whenever the film focused on Xavier and Magneto, the story really shined. IMO it was a decent but occassionally flawed X-Men film (but the same could be said about all the others, I suppose).
  • DouglasJDouglasJ Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    The continuity is actually pretty awful, but only really with X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Given that Singer produced this and had nothing to do with those movies, it seems he wants to wipe them out of movie-canon.

Trying to avoid posting spoilers, but I'm mainly considering the opening to The Last Stand where they visit Jean Grey, and a certain cameo appearance in Wolvie.
    DouglasJ wrote:
    The continuity is actually pretty awful, but only really with X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Given that Singer produced this and had nothing to do with those movies, it seems he wants to wipe them out of movie-canon.

Trying to avoid posting spoilers, but I'm mainly considering the opening to The Last Stand where they visit Jean Grey, and a certain cameo appearance in Wolvie.

Admittedly, I remember hardly anything from Last Stand, but now that you mention it, there are major flaws (I forgot about Professor X's 'walk-on' appearance at the end of Wolverine). I believe it's in X-Men II where we see a non-furry and non-blue Hank McCoy on a TV screen.

The 'attempts' (as I suppose we should refer to it) at continuity was refreshing, because for some reason, I thought this was going to be one of those dreaded re-boots of the franchise. But it turns out that wasn't the intent.
    I just saw X-Men: First Class myself, and I must say I enjoyed the hell out of it. I guess I'm not too bothered by the continuity errors. . .we've already had a Sabretooth in both the first X-Men and in Wolverine that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I thought the story was good, the performances were fine, there was a sense of fun, and I enjoyed the period detail. . .though some of the hair and clothing styles were a bit too, umm, 21st century. Of course, there were a few flat moments, but none I thought were bad--though I did roll my eyes that the movie succumbs to the Star Trek Syndrome--i.e., the only black dude is the first one to get killed. And might I add there were some very hot women and we get Kevin Bacon as a villain? All in all, I'm a happy Hardyboy! :D
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • DouglasJDouglasJ Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    Admittedly, I remember hardly anything from Last Stand, but now that you mention it, there are major flaws (I forgot about Professor X's 'walk-on' appearance at the end of Wolverine). I believe it's in X-Men II where we see a non-furry and non-blue Hank McCoy on a TV screen.

The 'attempts' (as I suppose we should refer to it) at continuity was refreshing, because for some reason, I thought this was going to be one of those dreaded re-boots of the franchise. But it turns out that wasn't the intent.

I think even Singer said at the time that the McCoy cameo was just a little nod to the fans, it was never meant to be developed. If Beast had shown up, he would have been in full "Beast-mode".

Still, I enjoyed the film. I'm willing to let continuity issues slide - it's not as though the comic book isn't crammed with contraditions and retcons.
    Several sites are reporting that Russell Crowe has signed on to play Jor-El in Zack Snyder's Superman movie. While I like Crowe the apparent existence of Jo-El as well as Thomas and Martha Kent in the film makes it look more and more like we're going to get another origin story and if there's one character that really doesn't need that kind of a treatment it's Superman.
    An interesting article from Yahoo! on the fact this year's superhero flicks--even X-men: First Class, which received excellent reviews--are not earning as much as the two Iron Man films and so on. Its various reasons are because the films are on second-tier heroes, have unbankable stars, people being sick of 3-D, etc.; but the article doesn't mention the elephant in the room: the economy sucks! Anyway, here 'tis:

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/1679-too-many-men-in-tights-5-reasons-the-superhero-summer-has-been-a-bust
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited July 2011
    The lousy economy and a certain amount of "superhero fatigue" are definitely factors. Green Lantern was the fifth comic-book inspired property to be released this year and with each successive release it quickly became obvious that these movies just weren't different enough from one another to pull in the average moviegoer again and again.

In addition to that though, I also think that society as a whole is simply becoming more jaded, cynical and just plain unimaginative and news outlets seem to prefer painting everything in a negative light. Check out this article which tries to pour water on Transformers 3's ridiculously successful opening: http://beta.news.yahoo.com/transformers-shape-years-best-weekend-161239106.html

It seems that the internet in general and social media outlets like FaceBook and Twitter in particular give these burnt-out Mikeys who hate everything the perfect forum to turn their nose up at every new experience before it is even released to the general public and call everything a failure before it has a chance to prove itself. Between the critics who bash films simply because they don't care for the genres and the fanboys who nitpick every facet apart before the film is even released, it's no wonder that many movies are having such a hard time finding an audience.
    edited July 2011
    Looks like WB's next direct to video animated feature will be an adaptation of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One. Personally, I never cared for Millers take on Batman as he likes to wallow in seediness a bit too much for my tastes. We get a Jim Gordon who is unfaithful to his wife, a Catwoman who is a hooker and yet another visit to that fateful night in that fateful alley where cruel fate causes young Bruce Wayne to see the fateful murder of his parents, followed by that fateful scene on that fateful day when that fateful bat flies thru that fateful window, giving Wayne his fateful inspiration. I also don't like Miller's incessant use of internal monologues, not to mention the fact that even though the piece is called Batman: Year One, it is much more Gordon's story and told largely thru his eyes, err, monologues.

Maybe I'm jaded because I've seen and read about 100 variations of this story, but if you dig all that, then you'll probably like Batman: Year One as it seems to stay fairly close to the graphic novel which inspired it. Here's a link to a preview by way of AICN....

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50294
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    The_Dark_Knight_Rises_Teaser_Poster.jpg

whoo hoo Dark Knight Rises
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Agent_M wrote:
    The_Dark_Knight_Rises_Teaser_Poster.jpg

whoo hoo Dark Knight Rises

Just came here to post that. I'll add to it though. It's rumored that a one minute thirty-three second teaser trailer will be attached to the previews for the new Harry Potter movie. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Is it just me or does that poster have an Inception vibe to it?

AICN has the teaser up. Its a bit shaky as it was obviously taken with a cameraphone or similar device and the dialog is tough to understand at times, but you can still make out most of the visuals. As the case with most teasers you don't see too much but there is footage from the film, mixed in with scenes from the first two Nolan batfilms. It probably won't stay on for long so if you want to have a look, here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk-ivK7Di3c&feature=player_embedded
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think it's just a variation of the last one, with the Bat design in the Flames of the Building. I like it :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    There are reports that we'll be getting a trailer for the new Spider-Man film by next week and the PR hype for the film has begun. Andrew Garfield makes this week's EW cover:

spideyew.jpg

I'm really not feeling the creative liberties that Sony has taken with such an iconic costume. Sheer "ugh" factor. Strike One.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Spidey's about to burst into song!

Spidey's second to left
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited July 2011
    That costume looks way too shiny and high-end for something that's supposed to be home-made and that bouffant hairdo is just plain silly; hopefully it's not that bad in the movie. I really don't have any expectations about this one but at least its going to be in 3D.

There are more shots from the EW article here:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167849-hi-res-the-amazing-spider-man-photos-from-ew

and here

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167855-even-more-photos-from-the-amazing-spider-man

Hey Napoleon, since you seem to be into the merging of music and comics, check out this clip from the Spiderman musical....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cqm8ZW3gwU
    Not real big on Spidey and that cover leaves me cold. Just can't wrap my arms around the whole Spiderman story, bit by a spider blah blah blah, now flies through the air shooting a web,etc. It's all just too much.

I will also add, that I saw a trailer for Captain America while seeing Transformers and that also left me cold. Had the look of a B movie and I didn't care for the costume.