24 Season 6 (USA)

Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
edited October 2006 in Off Topic Chat
Season 6 might not start until after the Superbowl, but a preview for season 6 has surfaced on the net. This season looks just as good as the others to. It also looks like Wayne Palmer is President Of The United States. Here's the preview:

http://www.24trailer.com/

I wonder if the season 5 DVD set will have a bridge or prequel similar to the Season 5 and season 3 sets did. If so, I'll watch it and post what happens here. Stay tuned!
Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    The season 5 DVD set came out today and of course I picked it up. And my question from the above post was answered. It did have a prequel to season 6. I don't know why I get excited over these things. The prequel was nothing special. It was sponsered by Toyota. It starts by reminding you how season 5 ended. It then picks up 7 months later. We see Jack Bauer being tourted by the Chinese (it looks like electric torture, minus the water). One of the Chinese wants to know which one of their guys is working for the American goverment. Of course Jack isn't talking. The torture him some more then send him back to his cell. While he's sitting in his cell he see a guard walking by his cell door, The guard then gets gunned down by a silenced gun. Jacks cell door opens and he's resuced by 2 American troops. As they escape the prison the 2 troops gun down a couple more Chinese troops. Jack and the troops go to an open field where a brand new Toyota 4 runner (or some other Toyota truck) sits. The three get in the truck and the commercial begins. After the commercial ends Jack and the 2 troops get out of the vehicle and are surronded by Chinese troops. The head of the Chinese troops is seen again and thanks Jack form outing the rogue Chinese troop (remember the one working for the Americans?). The head Chinese guy the shoots the rogue troop in the head. He then thanks the two American troops for their effort and tells them the payment will be in their Swiss bank accounts ASAP. The head Chinese guy then orders Jack back to his cell.

In all the prequel to season 6 still leaves questions. I thought it would show Jack escaping the Chinese, but no. Again, it's just a short story to show a Toyota truck. I'm sure this prequel has nothing to do with season 6. The two rogue American troops will probably never be mentioned.

Futhermore, season 6 begins with a two night, four hour season premire. The season begins on January 14th & 15th.
    Season 6 premired tonight and without disapointment. We find Jack Bauer has had his release negotiated by the President Of The United States. The President is Wayne Palmer (David Palmers brother). We learn that Jack is being released to sacrifice himeself to stop the wave of terrorist bombings that have been released on the United States the past 11 weeks.

It's tough to write about a 2 hour show. In short, Jack escaped a terroist who wanted to kill him. This same terroist (Fayed)also tried to convince CTU he knew where the real terrosit was. The real terroist that he spoke of(Al-Fayed) was sent to the U.S. to stop all terroist activitys. Jack and Al-Fayed team up to track down Fayed. Fayed also has a friend that has a package. What this package has, time will tell. What is Fayed planning? It's tough to tell in the first two-hours. This looks like an exciting season.

I do hope more will join in on this conversation.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Of course more will join in, Mr. M! I watched the premiere last night, and, while I liked it, I wasn't exactly blown away. I made this complaint last season, but it seems that some awfully familiar territory is being covered: a terrorist running loose in Los Angeles, a terrorist family in the neighborhood, a weasely character who is in a position of authority in a White House headed by an idealistic president, a dumb kid who gets mixed up in events that are way over his head. . . I dunno: maybe I should shut up and accept these things as part of the show, much as I do with all the Star Trek episodes where Scotty performs miracle last-minute repairs on the Enterprise.

What I really liked about Hours 1 & 2 are the "soap opera" features--the changes and wrinkles in the old familiar characters, and the addition of new elements. Heavens, Bill Buchanan and Karen Hayes are now married! Who'd-a thunk it? The ever-expanding Palmer family now includes a sister who defends civil rights. Chloe is now dating her ex-husband. The always-turbulent environment at CTU (everyone dating each other, security being breached--all in a day's work) is further shook up by the addition of the requisite new hottie, Nadia (mmmmmBOY!). And I think there were some interesting guest stars: Lordy, Kumar is a terrorist (and does Harold know?), and DS9's kindly Doctor Bashir--and The Nativity Story's Angel Gabriel--is better at torture than Jack?

And Jack. . .his first appearance in Hour 1 seems almost to be an answer to the imprisoned Bond of Die Another Day. No, the producers seem to be saying, THIS is what an agent would look like after 20 months of being imprisoned by and tortured by an enemy regime--covered in scars (the acid-burned right hand is a good touch) and a psychological mess. The best scene last night was when Jack looked on with HORROR as a man was being tortured and said that he doesn't "remember how to do this." So much for jumping right back into action. But I'm sure Jack will be back to his old self soon enough, though. After all, who else would make an escape by biting out the throat of his guard?

What was that about griping that this season is more of the same? I guess I'll just eat it up for 22 more episodes!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    And I think there were some interesting guest stars: Lordy, Kumar is a terrorist (and does Harold know?), and DS9's kindly Doctor Bashir--and The Nativity Story's Angel Gabriel--is better at torture than Jack?

I thought I remembered seeing Kumar (Kal Penn)somewhere before. Another guest star was one of the two red-neck neighbors. I could swear the one who was shot by Kumar was Eric Bruskotter. Of course he's better known by me from Major League 2. He played Rube Baker (the catcher with the throwing problem). I couldn't find his name though on imdbs credits for 24(Kal Penns isn't mentioned either). It's also not mentioned on Erics profile page. Speaking of Major League, did you know Dennis Haysbert played Pedro Cerrano?
    Hours 3 and 4 just aired, and what can I say but. . ."Holeeee $#!&!!" First,
    Jack is forced to blow away Curtis,
    and then
    a nuclear bomb detonates in Los Angeles!
    Mother of Mercy, every time I think this show is trodding old territory, it does something to surprise me.

Anyway, I was beginning to suspect that the allegedly conservative producers were stabbing their avowedly conservative fans in the back: platitudes about the civil rights of terrorist suspects; a neocon chief of staff (or whatever rank Tom Lennix holds) who is all but opening concentration camps for Muslims; the army shown as brutes; and--worst of all--Jack Bauer himself wussified to the point where he can't stomach torture and where he even questions the rightness of what he's doing! Well, if the previews for Hour 5 are a good indication, tonight's activities have galvanized our boy into action.

Of course, in addition to the climax of Hour 4, the big moment was the death of a familiar character (though, when I saw he was billed as a guest star I wasn't too surprised; remember the episode "guest starring" Reiko Aylesworth last season), and it was handled with downright tragic poignance. The look of confusion and pain on his face as he died was unnerving, and Jack's weeping and vomiting was equally jarring. It was enough to make me forgive the annoying peeing contest between Milo and Morris (Maurice?--he is British, after all) over the affections of Chloe. As always, a national crisis never stops the romantic entanglements on "As CTU Turns."

Till next week. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I never thought that this show will take it to the level it did tonight. I'm saddened to see what happened tonight.
    The death of Curtis. I liked his charector
    This is what make this show great. As HB mentioned, just when you think they're trodding old terriotry, BAM, something new happens. It's also a good cliff hanger. What is the motive behind tonights show. We can assume that Fayeds
    brother was killed in the nuclear explosion
    . What will happen next? We shall see 9:59:57, 9:59:58, 9:59:59, 10:00:00.......
  • MI-6 AGENT 003MI-6 AGENT 003 Posts: 53MI6 Agent
    Hey guys! I'm absolutely loving this season so far! If it stays this way, it will be the best season yet. I'm shocked, stunned, etc about the events in the first 4 hours, especially the last 5 minutes of hour 4! I kinda knew something was up though when I saw the opening credits. It also looks like they are finally going to connect some previous seasons. The weird dude with the glasses who seemed to be giving Pres Logan orders last year will be in next weeks episode! I think we are about to discover a huge network of terrorists! Can't wait until next week!
  • delirium007delirium007 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    holy heart attack batman! this show never fails at putting you on the edge of your seat. I pretty much expected some main character to die after the way last season went down but WOW. I didn't expect it to happen like that! that was seriously the most depressing scene ever. I am eagerly counting down the hours until next week!
    The weird dude with the glasses who seemed to be giving Pres Logan orders last year will be in next weeks episode!

His name is Graham.
    Wow. Double wow. Triple wow. Quadruple, quintuple, sextuple, octuple WOW with a cherry on top!

I didn't think there would be any way that Hour 5 could top Hour 4. In terms of action, it doesn't; but in terms of plot twists, this one delivered a right hook from which I'm still reeling. First came the news that Jack has a father--and that ol' Dad might have something to do with a terrorist supplier--and then came this doozy of a revelation:
    Graham--the shadowy snake who was pulling the strings of President Logan--is, in full, Graham "Greg" Bauer, Jack's brother! Also a surprise was seeing Rena Sofer as Greg's wife, who, of course, is Jack's former lover. Hmmm. The more I think about it, the more this show resembles a soap opera. What the hey--I was blown away by it.

OK, the spoiler stuff out of the way, I've heard that some Muslim groups are complaining that the show this year has really been bashing the Islamic community, but I'm not sure how true that is. We've been presented with a reformed terrorist who wishes to work for peace, a Muslim who cooperates with the authorities to learn information from terrorists, and the character of Nadia, who, I believe, is herself Muslim. If anything, the show is balanced, showing that evil and goodness exist among Muslims--just as it does among any group.

So--what will Hour 6 bring? I'd forgotten that James Cromwell was in the cast this season, but I didn't realize he'd be playing Jack's Dad. I was kind of hoping Donald Sutherland would show up in the role, but, well, 24 hasn't let me down yet. Let the day continue!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Can't wait to get my copies of this. Will need a few hours of catching up.

Come on Islamic terrorism is the main threat these days. So that is what there going to use. There hardly going to base a story on a non current terrorist group.
    edited January 2007
    Hardyboy wrote:

So--what will Hour 6 bring? I'd forgotten that James Cromwell was in the cast this season, but I didn't realize he'd be playing Jack's Dad. I was kind of hoping Donald Sutherland would show up in the role, but, well, 24 hasn't let me down yet. Let the day continue!

I just read the other day that James Cromwell was in the cast. I also read some other names who will be shown later this season. Those people include:
    Ricky Schroder (sp?) of the Silver Spoons fame and Powers Boothe

I to was shocked to see that Graham was Jacks brother. I'm wondering what the rest of this day will bring. Only 5 hours into the day and I'm curious to know how it's going to end. 4 more suitcase nukes and a trigger happy terrorist who gurantes the bombs will be detonated on time. Will Jack save the day? Only time will tell.
    In the words of Borat, wawawaweewa! What a shocking twist! This brings up alot of questions. What if Jack's family has been behind all of the terrorists plots since season 2? That would be something! Anyone know if Audrey is supposed to be in this season? I know she was doing the Nine, but I thought I read that she was going to be doing both shows this season.
    Just watched Hour Six, which was pretty sedate compared to what happened earlier--no explosions, no shocking revelations, no deaths (though there was a serious butt-whuppin'). This ep seemed to focus more on relationships, which all strike me as a bit implausible. In the White House, the battle of wills between Tom and Karen Hayes has come to an apparent head, with Tom forcing Karen out. . .but I'm wondering why an obvious social liberal like President Palmer would have such a hard right-wing ideologue like Tom in his cabinet in the first place. Then there's the ongoing soap-opera at CTU, with Milo and Morris's continuing peeing contest. Now we've got Nadia and Milo making goo-goo eyes at each other. Sheesh--with all the sex and shenanigans going on at CTU, who has time to chase terrorists? And, last but not least, we've got the happy Bauer family. James Cromwell's role was pretty small in this outing, but Graem managed to show his true colors. All in all, a nice break from the usual mayhem--it's good to know that all is normal in 24 land. In other words, all ____ed up!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Well put HB. But I'm wondering about something. What is the whole Walid storyline have to do with this? The CIA (or is it the FBI?) wires him to get info about the 4 suitcase bombs. But it turns out the prisoners were just observers and have no knowledge of the actual events, past, present or future. So are the writers setting us all up for a turn in the storyline? I guess time will tell.
    Well they did give out the "fan" phone number again. I called during the show but the mail box was full. I think the writers might be setting us up as well. I think Nadia could be a mole. Milo logs in under his username and then let's her work under it. The look she gave was like, this is going exactly as I had planned. I sure hope I'm wrong cause I don't want her to die. She's way to hot to be taken off the show! LOL!
    Oh my God, just watched the first 4 episodes of the new series. The 4th episode was brilliant, if not maybe a bit over the top. Can't wait to get the next 2 episodes.
    After watching Hour Seven, I'm convinced that this season can be called 24 Family Values. We have a president who is trying to live out the legacy of his brother, and whose sister is his Jiminy Cricket-like conscience; we now learn that Morris/Maurice has a younger brother to whom he's dedicated; Bill Buchanan and Karen Hayes are conducting a bicoastal marriage; and, of course, we've got the Family Bauer. I kind of felt sorry for Graeme today--his wife is his brother's castoff, he gets severely tortured by Jack twice in one day, and then good ol' Dad double-crosses him and puts him out of commission. And on what show other than 24 could an armed Jack, accompanied by a SWAT team, break down his brother's front door, strap Graeme to a chair for a torture, and say to his sister-in-law, "This has nothing to do with us!"?

All kidding aside, it was a pretty good episode. The torture scene was saved from being the same-old same-old by Graeme's revelation that he ordered the hits on Palmer, Michelle, and Tony, and by Jack's agonized look as he hears the news. I'm also starting to like the character of Rita, who seems a comic sexy sidekick on the order of Valerie Perrine's Miss Tesmacher from the Superman films. How soon before she winds up on the slab, though? And, look, next week will be another two-hour extravaganza. What will be blown up, and which beloved character will bite the big one? I'm on pins and needles. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I enjoyed this weeks show. I was convinced that James Cromwell would be a good guy, but I was mistaken. Kind of reminded me of his "turn" in L.A. Confidential . I don't know why, but it did. (Can you say Rolo Tomasi?) Now with Grahem (going to use HBs word here) Decommissioned what role will Jacks dad play?

I wonder something else, how did Fayed know that Morris has a younger brother? I wonder if we have another Mole in CTU? If so, who could it be? Time will tell.....
    Mr Martini wrote:
    I wonder something else, how did Fayed know that Morris has a younger brother? I wonder if we have another Mole in CTU? If so, who could it be? Time will tell.....

I'm sure the amount of tech they have. They would easily be able to find out information like that.

Just seen Episode 7. This series is turning out to be brilliant once again. One of the best. It has only reinforced my opinion that this is the greatest show ever made. Blows shows like Hustle and spooks out of the water. Even though I absolutely love those shows. This is in a league of it's own.

I really hope this show continues for a long time.
    The two-hour extravaganza aired this evening, and it didn't disappoint. Hour Eight had it all--a terrific car/helicopter chase, a doublecross, Morris (what kind of self-respecting Englishman spells his name that way?) being delivered to Fayed, suffering one of the most gruesome tortures imaginable--with an electric drill!--and arming a bomb, Ruth being blown away (darn), an assassination plot a-brewing, a last-minute raid and rescue, and Jack defusing a nuclear bomb. Yowza, it was like a Bond film on crack!

Hour Nine was a bit more laid back, though it was nice to see that Milo can handle the heavy ammunition when required. The real kicker, though, was seeing what a thorough sonuvabitch Papa Bauer really is: laying a guilt trip on Jack for "causing" Graem's heart attack (when, of course, Phil did the deed himself), kidnapping his own grandson, and setting up his son and daughter-in-law to be ambushed. And you thought you had problems with your family? There were also a couple of good Chloe moments. Only Chloe could respond to Morris's (justified) feelings of guilt and self-loathing with, "You're really p!ssing me off!" and by slapping him upside the head. Nevermind the open, bleeding wounds from torture.

One niggling question, though: during the conversation while they were in the car, Marilyn mentioned to Jack their relationship twenty years ago, which apparently caused Jack to leave home and join the military. Um, OK, but it's been established that years have passed between the seasons, so Season One actually happened around 10 years ago. Now, at the start of the series, Kim was a teenager and she's now apparently well into her 20s. So, was Jack fooling around on Teri with Marilyn? Or is this an example of playing around with the timeline? And does anyone wonder why I think of this as a soap opera with guns and explosions?

Till next week, till next hour. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:

One niggling question, though: during the conversation while they were in the car, Marilyn mentioned to Jack their relationship twenty years ago, which apparently caused Jack to leave home and join the military. Um, OK, but it's been established that years have passed between the seasons, so Season One actually happened around 10 years ago. Now, at the start of the series, Kim was a teenager and she's now apparently well into her 20s. So, was Jack fooling around on Teri with Marilyn? Or is this an example of playing around with the timeline? And does anyone wonder why I think of this as a soap opera with guns and explosions?

Till next week, till next hour. . .

Look at it this way HB. Marylins blond son is around twenty. I have a gut feeling that he's Jacks son and not Grahams.

I enjoyed both hours tonight. Hour one was very intense. I kept hoping Morris wasn't going to give in, but he did. I never expected Marylin to shoot her "boyfriend" either. But hey, it's 24. Anything can happen.

I agree hour 2 was more laid back, but what is the administration (sp?) planning? They said the immediate removal of the president. Do we have an assination plot brewing? Or maybe they just want temporarly make the President unable to make a decsion for himself. Maybe they'll have him involved in a serious auto-accident. It won't kill him, but he'll be in surgery for just the amount of time that the Vice-President will have the power to put his agenda into action.
    I think 24 has had problems with their timeline since the beginning. I certainly can't explain it. Wow the 2 hour special was great! Daddy Bauer is pure evil! He has already killed one son and tried to kill another, plus he's threated to kill his grandson! What's that important that he's willing to do that? He is very messed up. I'm not sure what will happen if they pull of another assassination. That would be a disaster. There are so many different things going on in 24, really keeps you going! Can't wait until next week.
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Look at it this way HB. Marylins blond son is around twenty. I have a gut feeling that he's Jacks son and not Grahams.

Actually, Josh looks, sounds, and comes across more like 15 (maybe I can recognize this 'cuz I'm so ancient). Still, last night I noticed he has a certain resemblance to Elisha Cuthbert, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Josh is indeed the spawn of Jack.
    Mr Martini wrote:
    I never expected Marylin to shoot her "boyfriend" either. But hey, it's 24. Anything can happen.

Tsk, tsk--that's Ruth, not Marilyn! It was indeed a terrific shock moment, and I love Morris's reaction: "Yes! Yes! A bit excessive, but. . ."
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I'm not sure what will happen if they pull of another assassination. That would be a disaster.

I have to agree with you. After the way Season 2 ended. The Air Force One Attack in Season 4 and then David Palmer in Season 5. I know 24 likes to re-do certain things, but not sure what they'll be doing this time. They're hinting around assination, but it hasn't beened mentioned outright. I think it has to be something that will either force him to resign immediately or an "accident" that will temporarly incapacitate him. Part of the constitution of the US reads (Article II, Section I) :

In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the Same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by Law provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.
    edited February 2007
    One of Kiefers screen used shirts. Was going to bid on that till the price rocketed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140084410432&rd=1&rd=1

wouldn't have minded picking this up either.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-TONYS-SCREEN-WORN-JACKET-W-COA_W0QQitemZ140084410483QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18841QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tony Almeida was such a great character I thought.
    My, ten hours have already elapsed. Time was it would have taken them at least two months to get that far into the day!

Anyway, another good ep. The last-minute rescue of Milo by good ol' Jack was one of those stand-up-and-cheer moments; and I was surprised by how intriguing I found Morris's storyline. We should get a pool started on how long it will be before his guilt, paranoia, and return to alcoholism will result in a major catastrophe. Also of note is that Tom Lennox isn't the traitor we thought he was (that honor goes to Rob Lowe's brother), that Papa Bauer got away, and that we're all set for the return of. . .

Wait for it. . .

Former President Charles Logan!

Anyway, have you all heard of the "controversy" surrounding 24? Apparently, some do-gooders are claiming that the program will give the troops in Iraq lessons in how to torture people. As if the troops are that susceptible, and as if they probably didn't learn a trick or two as part of their training.

On a lighter note, Kiefer Sutherland recently revealed that there's a college drinking game that involves watching 24. Since on American TV characters can't cuss up a blue streak, the worst anyone can really say is "dammit." So, every time Jack exclaims "Dammit!" the watchers have to take a shot. Kiefer admitted that, once or twice, he's slipped a rapid-fire "dammit-dammit-dammit" into his dialogue, just for the fun of it. :v
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:

On a lighter note, Kiefer Sutherland recently revealed that there's a college drinking game that involves watching 24. Since on American TV characters can't cuss up a blue streak, the worst anyone can really say is "dammit." So, every time Jack exclaims "Dammit!" the watchers have to take a shot. Kiefer admitted that, once or twice, he's slipped a rapid-fire "dammit-dammit-dammit" into his dialogue, just for the fun of it. :v

When did you hear about this HB? I think Keifer revealed that early in season 5. I heard it on the Tonight Show w/Jay Leno.

Anyway, a decent episode with just a smidgen of action. it seems like 24 is at the transition stage of the show (defintion of transition stage= The point in the show where the story takes a turn and another, even more menacing villian is revealed. The true motive of all the terrorist is also revelaed throught the last 12 hours). We know see a Russian terrorist who wants to blame the Arabs(?) for the next attack. Where will this all lead? Of course time will tell.
    Mr Martini wrote:
    When did you hear about this HB? I think Keifer revealed that early in season 5. I heard it on the Tonight Show w/Jay Leno.

Jay Leno it was. Silly me--I just couldn't immediately recall the source.

Anyway, hour eleven was fairly quiet by 24 standards. There was a lot on politics and not much of Jack. He managed to change clothes sometime during the hour, and I certainly hope he managed to eat something and to visit the loo. You know, I sort of miss season one, when Jack's increasing exhaustion as the day wore on became a plot point. He's become such a superman you have to wonder if he derives his strength from air.

But I digress. The bulk of the story was focused on Reed's attempt to assissinate the president, which was handled very well; and of course the attempt led to a cliffhanger and, no doubt, to the usual plot-turning mayhem that marks hour twelve. There was also a bit too much, I think, on Morris's alcoholism. The way things are going, Chloe will get the entire CTU together to form an intervention. Terrorism? Nuclear annihilation? Hey, you gotta have priorities!

Anyway, 'til next week. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    A good week and cliff hanger ending as mentioned by HB.

The writers have to check what they've written. Let me explain. Last week Jacks father left a phone on the edge of a building. It told Jack to call 1-310-597-3781. It ended up being the phone number to former president Logan. Fast forward to this weeks episode. Chole calls Morriss' sponser (played by bart Simpson ummmm Nancy Cartwright). She leaves a message for the sponser to call her back at 1-310-597-3781. The same number. How could that be? I know it's the fan number for the tv show, but at least mix up some numbers.

P.S. I've called the number and it's mostly spoken in Spanish. The one english line spoken is "Nextel phone for 24." Typical, just an advertisement.