24 Season 6 (USA)

13»

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Oh man, this hour was great. I was on the edge of my seat for almost the whole hour. After the one dude sent Milo to his maker, I was sitting waiting for the order to come down to kill Jack. It never came, at least not yet. Could this season end with someone else being the hero (Doyle anybody?).
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    This season got off to an amazing start, and it looks like it will end on a (literal) bang as well. Hour 22 was terrific, with plenty of bootay kicking--and some of it was dished out by the unlikely trio of Natalia, Morris, and Lisa Miller. And, of course, there was the hallmark of 24--a noisy shoot-'em-up in which most of the bad guys were killed, but the most important one managed to slip away.

So it will all be over next week. It's well known that the producers are going to shake things up for next season, and a lot of people are speculating that Jack will be killed off and Mike Doyle will take his place. I'm not so sure about that--if only because the ending of tonight's hour certainly put Doyle's loyalties into doubt. Besides, without Jack, 24 is nothing. I can't see the producers putting a different character through the same paces as Jack--it would be like a Bond film where Felix Leiter takes the lead.

What I think will happen is that CTU will be destroyed--no more Chloe, no more Nadia, no more Morris, and no more soap-opera antics going on while the world is about to end. I think next season will find Jack in a completely different environment, maybe with an entirely new cast of supporting characters. But that's just speculation. Don't anybody put down money on what I say!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I found the most interesting part of this hour was that the Russian President knew the info from Lisa Millers PDA was fake. How did he know this? Who told him?

Just a few questions i have. I hope they are answered by seasons end, but not very likely. The questions:

Where is Miles Papazian?

Why is Mike Novick MIA?

What is the outcome to the Charles Logan stabbing?
    Mr Martini wrote:
    I found the most interesting part of this hour was that the Russian President knew the info from Lisa Millers PDA was fake. How did he know this? Who told him?

Ah, must not have been listening, Mr. M! The Russian prez says that he had the apartment watched, and so his agents saw the Secret Service break into it. The messages came in immediately after the break-in, so it stands to reason they're phonies.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    ^That makes then. I was hoping for one last mole to be revealed or something. Thanks HB.
    And Day 6 is over and done with. So much for my prediction that CTU would be taken out of commission. But, on the same tack, so much for all those who claimed Jack would be killed off and Mike Doyle would become the new hero of the series. Jack is left alive and well (or, as he put it, "at a crossroads"); and, as for Doyle--well, for a while there was that show about a vision impaired cop, "Blind Justice." Maybe we could have "Blind CTU"?

So, how did this season wind up? Pretty much as one would expect, though I was suprised that the big climax seemed to be borrowed from the attack on the oil rig in Diamonds Are Forever, albeit played more seriously. War is averted, Papa Bauer sleeps with the fishes, and Jack's jailer has become the jailed. Actually, what I found most interesting were the reflections of Veep Daniels. When he says that it's impossible to know how hard it is to be president until you sit in his chair, you can practically hear the producers shouting, "Get it, you Bush bashers?" I guess you could argue that the entire season has been about trusting and not second-guessing presidential leadership.

As for how I feel about Day 6. . .definitely mixed. The season got off to a great start, but soon the cracks started to show. There was a definite been-there-done-that feeling to the show: romantic tangles in CTU, a terrorist with a bomb, detailed torture scenes, shoot-outs from which the bad guy manages a last-minute escape, established characters getting bumped off in shocking ways, stuff from the previous season being wedged into the current season, etc., etc. Don't get me wrong--a lot of this season was great, but a good deal of the season struck me as having come from the recycling plant.

The producers have said that they'll take the show in a new direction in January. Well, we've been left with Jack contemplating the waves as they crash upon the rocks (Will he stay with Audrey? Will he be true to Heller's comment that he can never stay out of action? Will Audrey regain her memory?) and we know that Chloe is pregnant. Maybe next season will be set some seven months from now, when Chloe is in labor and Jack, in his new job as hospital orderly/caretaker for Audrey, has 24 hours to track down all the needed hospital supplies in time for the blessed event? Well, I guess we'll find out in seven months.

And there's STILL no word on what, definitely, happened to ex-President Logan!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:

And there's STILL no word on what, definitely, happened to ex-President Logan!

I guess we have to guess what we want on that. If I remember somebody said to keep the stabbbing quiet. Well I was hoping they ment from the general public, not the viewing audience.

As for the season as a whole, it was ok. It did have it's good moments, and it did have it's bad moments. It was surprising to see Jack killed off only one villian (and a very brutal killing it was). But I do wish this season would of layed off the fluff. Now that we have the family thing out of the way, maybe season 7 will be just as good as season 1 & 4. Time will tell. I'll check in after the Superbowl. Cheers!
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Ok. I finally saw the last episodes. I have steered clear of this thread because I was behind you lot. Were used to being left on a knifes edge at the end. But I felt this time it was not as good. I don't know if anyone else thought we were supposed to think Jack was possibly going to take his own life at the end and the new season would start with either Jack shooting himself and falling off the edge or not. I don't think there is any chance of him being killed off. As frustrating as the previous season finales have been. That desperation to know what has happened has made it so much better when the new series starts. The end was really lacking for me. I'm finding myself a lot more needing of the new series of prison break than the next day for Jack.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Well, I'm kind of glad Day 6 is over. That was easily the weakest season of 24. I was expecting big things after the highs of last season, but this year's been a real dissapointment. Doyle got his eyes blown out, which I thought was a shame as he had real promise as a character. There was too much bickering at CTU, love triangles and tedious political back-stabbing at the White House. I wonder if next season they'll shake things up a little by having Jack work freelance, or get caught up in something that won't require him to be involved with CTU at all. The producers have to do something, because this season has seemed very tired.