TV Shows that died before their time...

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the info, Tony and one of my B5 buddies thank you, too being that I just passed this along to him.

All straight to video aren't bad...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    T.H.E.Cat.

This starred a young Robert Loggia as a former circus acrobat-turned mercenary-turned PI/bodyguard.It was on the air in the late 1960s and was very cool--a little like The Equalizer but much more stylish--complete to a haunting Lalo Schiffrin theme.The series was set in the LA area where the wealthy Thomas Hewitt Edward Cat kept his impressive penthouse apartment.He worked out of a gypsy bar called "El Casa de los Gatos"-something like Peter Gunn's situation with "Mother's".And like Gunn,Cat also had a friend in the police department.

Cat, as his name suggests,was an independent sort who carefully selected his clients.Although Cat was known to be expensive, if the client's situation warrented,he occasionally worked for free.

T.H.E.Cat featured beautiful women,interesting locales,clever mysteries and plenty of action.And advertised with poster art by the McGillis/McCarthy team--the same painters EON used for the ad campaigns and posters for Thunderball,You Only Live Twice and On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

T.H.E.Cat was a mood piece that lasted less than a season, due to the American television networks'(then) understandable efforts to purge themselves of what they saw as violent programming in the wake of Martin Luther King's and Bobby Kennedy's assassinations-- which took place that year.

Another show I liked was She Spies.The two Charlie's Angels movies were the obvious inspiration,but this had a much better cast(the three women-lead by uberhottie Natasha Henstridge were simply terrific).And this was also well written,especially during the first season--when it was played as a satire.The second season decision to turn the show into something more serious was a huge mistake, and damaged the program severely.But I'd have liked to have seen more of She Spies, provided it continued with the lighter touch it had originally displayed.

And then there was Carla Gugino's program Threshold--In my opinion, the best of the three network science fiction series(including Invasion and Surface-- both of which had some good elements)from a few seasons ago.Just as it was getting more interesting,Threshold was--like the others two shows-- cancelled..

Then there's My World and Welcome to It...this was James Thurber on the screen and sadly,it was very much ahead of its time.It needs--just like T.H.E.Cat--a DVD release.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    'Dead Like Me.' Got cancelled way too soon. Dark, funny and often quite touching. Ellen Muth, it's star, is stunning in a quirky kind of way.
    edited March 2007
    This show was so fun to watch and yet it wasn't given much of a chance. I think that perhaps I and a couple of other guys that hung with me, actually got the show; my parents hated it. IMO, before its time.

TENSPEED & BROWNSHOE

10_speed.jpg

At the time, anything Jeff Goldblum was in, I was there. B-)

• SPECTRENumber1SPECTRENumber1 L.O.Posts: 75MI6 Agent
    Two words: Arrested Development.

Thank God I have the DVDs.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    'Dead Like Me.' Got cancelled way too soon. Dark, funny and often quite touching. Ellen Muth, it's star, is stunning in a quirky kind of way.

This show was quite good. Very weird, but very cool.
  • ToshTogoToshTogo Rep. of South AfricaPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    i enjoyed " The Six Million Dollar Man" it had a big imapct on me as a kid , i have the first box set, but i wish they would hurry up and release the second, third, etc
    ToshTogo wrote:
    i enjoyed " The Six Million Dollar Man" it had a big imapct on me as a kid , i have the first box set, but i wish they would hurry up and release the second, third, etc

Didn't this show stay on like 5-6 seasons? IMO at least, I think it may have overrun its course.

• arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Police Squad! (although they did end up on the big screen). I used to watch this at some unearthly hour and it was just as funny as the Naked Gun series.
    Police Squad! (although they did end up on the big screen). I used to watch this at some unearthly hour and it was just as funny as the Naked Gun series.

Talking of lunatic policeman. 'Sledge Hammer,' they could have got a lot more than two seasons out of this show.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Was flipping channels last night and came across some reruns of Becker, a half hour comedy show starring Ted Danson. I remember I enjoyed the show when it ran originally and found last nights episodes very funny. Don't remember what the shows life span was, but I don't think it was too long. It may have been cut short by the fact that Danson plays a loud politically incorrect jerk. Which is probably why I like it.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Last night I watched a new comedy, Andy Barker, P.I., with Andy Richter. I found the show to be laugh-free, but it reminded me of how much I enjoyed Andy Richter Controls the Universe, which didn't even last a full season. It deserved better.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Last night I watched a new comedy, Andy Barker, P.I., with Andy Richter. I found the show to be laugh-free.

I saw it last night too, HB.

And if it keeps up at the rate it left the gates, it too will make this list very shortly.

• La CuranderaLa Curandera Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    Being a western and sci-fi fan, I'm putting in a vote for "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr." Awesome concept, Bruce Campbel, and great humor = great, underated television. anyone remeber this gem?
  • La CuranderaLa Curandera Posts: 52MI6 Agent

amen... easily the funniest show no one ever watched.
    'Nightingales.' Surreal comedy about a trio of nightwatchmen. Only two series were made.

nightingales.jpg
  • OdowanOdowan Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    In a thread like this the show that springs to mind immediately is Firefly. I miss that show so much.
    edited May 2007
    Looks like one of the smartest TV shows around, Veronica Mars, is heading for cancellation. Its network has yet to make it official, but Variety is reporting that it's a foregone conclusion.

Damn it. I love this show. It might be based around a teen detective, but its worldview is more sophisticated than most adult dramas. I seriously hope whichever executive has made that decision gets fired and winds up working as a lowly assistant for VM's notoriusly hot-headed producer, Joel Silver, who belittles him and humiliates him and then tortures him forever.
  • NewsmanNewsman Erie, PA USAPosts: 92MI6 Agent
    EYES. An ABC (US) series starring Tim Daly about a high-tech private eye firm.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Here's one no one will remember, I think it was a British show .... "The Baron", as I recall it was a bit like "Lovejoy" and starred Steve Forrest. As a kid I was a big fan, but it just dropped off the map.
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    Here's one no one will remember, I think it was a British show .... "The Baron", as I recall it was a bit like "Lovejoy" and starred Steve Forrest. As a kid I was a big fan, but it just dropped off the map.

I remember it well, well almost. Steve Forrest played John Mannering and Sue Lloyd played his aide (Cordelia?) and (I think) ran the Baron's shop. He drove a Jenson (an Interceptor?) and the tv series was based on a series of books by John Creasey (I bought a few some years ago and if I haven't already got rid of them, I have a few left somewhere).
    I don't think I ever got around to reading the books (I certainly don't remember anything from them), too much Bond to read when I got chance, which is why I decided to sell them.
    I'm sure someone will make a crap film version of it soon.:#
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Here's another one, "The Champions"....

and "Coronet Blue"
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    Looks like one of the smartest TV shows around, Veronica Mars, is heading for cancellation. Its network has yet to make it official, but Variety is reporting that it's a foregone conclusion.

Damn it. I love this show. It might be based around a teen detective, but its worldview is more sophisticated than most adult dramas. I seriously hope whichever executive has made that decision gets fired and winds up working as a lowly assistant for VM's notoriusly hot-headed producer, Joel Silver, who belittles him and humiliates him and then tortures him forever.
    I also love this show. Although my local station treats it with the outmost disgrace, I have always considered watching it to be a joy. :D I can NOT believe that it is ending. X-(
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RoebuckRoebuck UKPosts: 25MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    Here's another one, "The Champions"....

Friend of mine met Dennis Spooner many years back and got the story that The Champions was effectively pulled before they finished shooting as it was proving tough to sell the concept overseas. In retrospect the idea and the casting were better than the execution. Most of the writers had trouble incorporating the super powers thing into the standard ITC plots.
  • RoebuckRoebuck UKPosts: 25MI6 Agent
    In the Seventies I liked a series called PROBE, which had Burgess Meredith running a high-tec organisation that could recover anything for a fee. All the agents wore button sized digital cameras that let a team of experts in back in the control room track the missions and provide advice. Now we all carry camera phones so it's no big deal, but thirtysomething years ago it was an exciting concept.
  • jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent

Quite possibly the greatest comedy show ever made, and one of the best TV shows ever made, period. Absolute genius. I have the DVDs as well.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Star Trek: Enterprise. It was (until the last episode) getting better and deserved at least as many years as the mediocre Voyager.
    Dan Same wrote:
    I also love this show. Although my local station treats it with the outmost disgrace, I have always considered watching it to be a joy. :D I can NOT believe that it is ending. X-(

Hopefully another network will pick up VM. That's happened to other shows in the past. It would be a shame to lose it after only 3 seasons.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Hopefully another network will pick up VM. That's happened to other shows in the past. It would be a shame to lose it after only 3 seasons.
    Hear hear. I think it's a great show, although if I had one complaint, I think the bus bombing plot was far too convulated.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

That's what saved Family Guy, so who knows...