TV Shows that died before their time...

124»

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Apparently Life, the existential cop show with Damian Lewis has been cancelled. X-(
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Apparently Life, the existential cop show with Damian Lewis has been cancelled. X-(
    :o My brother would be horrified. He loves that show.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    I had heard good things about this show but I never seemed to take the time out to watch it. I think something else was on in that timeslot, on another channel, that I was more interested in.

If I'm not mistaken, this show dodged the axe once before in its first season midway.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • dr. evan-gelistdr. evan-gelist SheffieldPosts: 398MI6 Agent
    the a-team went off air before time. i reckon leslie nielsen cud have replaced george peppard if he felt too old or tired.
    "You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
    James Bond- Licence To Kill
    the a-team went off air before time. i reckon leslie nielsen cud have replaced george peppard if he felt too old or tired.
    D-Drebin? :o

692-2.gif

Here's a show that should be cancelled, Dollhouse. It's almost impossible to believe the creator of Buffy could come up with something so bad. :(
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    Off the top of my head:

Shark

Dark Skies

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Primeval
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
    I might've hated this show getting canceled but finally after 30 years, it's out on DVD this month!!!!

Tenspeed & Brownshoe

Picture1-3.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3zwXzHNH0I

I got my copy from Amazon this past Friday and I introduced the series to my kid who thinks it's simply hilarious. He compared it to PSYCH without the overt silliness. Personally, I think that Psych is a knockoff of this.
    The only drawback from the set is that Mills Creek couldn't work out a deal with CBS, who somehow obtained the rights to the pilot, to add it to the dvd. But for just 10 bucks, it's nostalgia well worth it.

If you've never seen this show, please give it a shot. It's genius as well as its creator Stephen J. Cannell. B-)

• toutbruntoutbrun Washington, USAPosts: 1,501MI6 Agent
    The Sopranos.... nah just kidding.
    If you can't trust a Swiss banker, what's the world come to?
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    I would say Futurama, but it isn't dead anymore, they brought it back B-)

Another animated comedy though 'sit down shut up' was cancelled before it's first series even ended! I'd definitely say that's a premature death
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I might've hated this show getting canceled but finally after 30 years, it's out on DVD this month!!!!

Tenspeed & Brownshoe

Picture1-3.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3zwXzHNH0I

I got my copy from Amazon this past Friday and I introduced the series to my kid who thinks it's simply hilarious. He compared it to PSYCH without the overt silliness. Personally, I think that Psych is a knockoff of this.
    The only drawback from the set is that Mills Creek couldn't work out a deal with CBS, who somehow obtained the rights to the pilot, to add it to the dvd. But for just 10 bucks, it's nostalgia well worth it.

If you've never seen this show, please give it a shot. It's genius as well as its creator Stephen J. Cannell. B-)

When was that made Rogue? I don't think it ever aired in the UK.
    John Drake wrote:
    Tenspeed & Brownshoe

When was that made Rogue? I don't think it ever aired in the UK.
    It only lasted about 14 eps really. It's from the creator of The A-Team, Renegade & Greatest American Hero.

It used to air on Sunday nights on ABC here back in the day and then its demise was inevitable when ABC started putting it on another night after a couple of weeks.

10 times better than Psych IMO but to be fair, Tenspeed & Brownshoe was a slight knockoff of the Eddie Albert/ Robert Wagner tv show SWITCH (ex-cop & con man) which aired a few years earlier on CBS here.
    TS&BS just did it better IMO. Brilliant show! B-)

• DangerMouseDangerMouse Benfleet, EssexPosts: 235MI6 Agent
    The British sitcom "Filthy, Rich and Catflap" was a show that was dropped after its first series long before its time. A shame because I really enjoyed watching it. Mind you, for me, anything which stars both Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson, with another "Young Ones" actor appearing as a bonus, is a joy.
  • little nellylittle nelly London, EnglandPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    NYPD Blue and Planet Of The Apes.
    N O I N F O R M A T I O N I S U S E L E S S
  • Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent

NYPD Blue ? That show was on the air for 12 years. That's postively ancient for a tv show.
  • mrbain007mrbain007 Posts: 393MI6 Agent
    There's a great little English sitcom called "The Worst Week of My Life", its kind of like a UK version of Meet the Parents (the main actor in it is even called Ben Miller :)) ).

There were 2 series' and a Christmas special (a rather short lifespan compared to some of the US shows).

I'm not sure whether it "died before its time" but it's certainly underrated and deserves a lot more acknowledgement than it has.
  • little nellylittle nelly London, EnglandPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    Ricardo C. wrote:

NYPD Blue ? That show was on the air for 12 years. That's postively ancient for a tv show.

Yeah I would have liked to see at least 12 more years. Sipowicz is the greatest character. Political correctness be damned!
    N O I N F O R M A T I O N I S U S E L E S S
  • Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    Ricardo C. wrote:

Yeah I would have liked to see at least 12 more years. Sipowicz is the greatest character. Political correctness be damned!

I have to agree to disagree then. I thought the show got really tired.

As for my own personal contributions to this thread, The Flash TV series I would have loved to have seen more of. The show was a lot of fun and colourful. There was a campy element but balanced by genuine human emotion. Unfortunately, it got the axe because of the lousy time slot and the high cost of each episode.

I almost forgot the down right criminal cancellation of Police Squad!. What a rotten break that a show was cancelled by a person who thought the show was too fast paced, I am dead serious. Four episodes people, it was cancelled after Four episodes with two more airing in the summer.
  • mrbain007mrbain007 Posts: 393MI6 Agent
    Ricardo C. wrote:
    Ricardo C. wrote:

I almost forgot the down right criminal cancellation of Police Squad!. What a rotten break that a show was cancelled by a person who thought the show was too fast paced, I am dead serious. Four episodes people, it was cancelled after Four episodes with two more airing in the summer.

Thank god for Naked Gun :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Lzpz-Emhs&feature=related
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    Robin of Sherwood is one of my favorite shows that was went before its time. Just this year, I rediscovered it thanks to You Tube. Also thanks to to fellow fans, I learned the reasons behind it only running three seasons. If only Micheal Praed had stayed on, or at the very least the show got sold to another company since the production company behind it was running out money due to some films that bombed at the box office, prior to the third season.

Thankfully it lives on in fan fiction and the minds of viewers like me.
  • james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
    I liked The Fantastic Journey (1977), Lucan (1977-78), and Otherworld (1985). All gone too soon.
    HUMAN TARGET

human-target.jpg

I recently found out that Fox canceled this DC Comics gem of a show after a season and a half. I knew that once it started airing on Friday nights it was a matter of time before the studio gave it the axe.

It also didn't help that the second season decided to add the female co-stars and mess with the chemistry of the 3 main characters. I preferred the babe of the week formula.

And also Fox...

THE GOOD GUYS

key_art_the_good_guys.jpg

This show was just catching its footing with viewers but it was too late. Old school, stylish and very funny in a quirky way was also put on Friday nights just before being shown the door.

Damn you, Fox. Damn you to hell. X-(

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    mrbain007 20th Dec 2010 09:48

There's a great little English sitcom called "The Worst Week of My Life", its kind of like a UK version of Meet the Parents (the main actor in it is even called Ben Miller ).

There were 2 series' and a Christmas special (a rather short lifespan compared to some of the US shows).

I'm not sure whether it "died before its time" but it's certainly underrated and deserves a lot more acknowledgement than it has.

I loved this show and have all the episodes and special on DVD :))
    Vengence Unlimited, Was shown late night on ITV, I really loved it.Staring Michale Madsen sadly short lived. Also sorry to see the end of Human Target, great show.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • smudgedudesmudgedude Posts: 162MI6 Agent
    i still miss all in the family
    RogueAgent wrote:

It also didn't help that the second season decided to add the female co-stars and mess with the chemistry of the 3 main characters. I preferred the babe of the week formula.

Damn you, Fox. Damn you to hell. X-(

Loved the first season. Baffled as to why they messed with the formula. I don't remember watching 'Human Target' and thinking what this show needs is an annoying female boss who will interfere at every moment. Suspect the suits at Fox thought this was a good idea. It wasn't.

I'm going to miss this show a lot. how.jpg

BBC cancelled it, yet they let 'My Family' run for 76 years...
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,677Chief of Staff
    John Drake wrote:
    I'm going to miss this show a lot. how.jpg

BBC cancelled it, yet they let 'My Family' run for 76 years...

Have they ? That's a real shame...I thought it was very good too.
    YNWA 97
  • DTSNEO6DTSNEO6 U. S. A.Posts: 115MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    I would say Futurama, but it isn't dead anymore, they brought it back B-)

Another animated comedy though 'sit down shut up' was cancelled before it's first series even ended! I'd definitely say that's a premature death

I second that. SWAT was also show that ended before it should.
    "Just surviving Mr. Chang...just surviving."
    Sad to hear the next series of Spooks will be the Last, :#
    One of the best shows on uk TV.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,677Chief of Staff
    Sad to hear the next series of Spooks will be the Last, :#
    One of the best shows on uk TV.

I've never watched an episode of Spooks...plenty say it was a decent show...

I thought you would be lamenting the sad passing of Our Friends In The North ? ;)
    YNWA 97
    Always liked Christopher Eccleston. :D