Best Bond Scenes

Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
edited November 2006 in The James Bond Films
MSN.com has an article this morning on the top 10 best Bond scenes. Read and begin the debate. I like that they included the good bye Q scene from TWINE. I actually think they did a good job with their picks.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/dvd/bond?GT1=8752

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    What an odd selection- Bond and Wai Lin sliding down a big fake banner? Onatopp in the sauna? Goodbye Q? It's a load of bad puns followed by a confused looking old man being lowered on a car lift. A long way from my idea of classic Bond scenes.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    What an odd selection- Bond and Wai Lin sliding down a big fake banner? Onatopp in the sauna? Goodbye Q? It's a load of bad puns followed by a confused looking old man being lowered on a car lift. A long way from my idea of classic Bond scenes.

I think we have had this discussion before, but I think the Q scene was brilliant. Q was a key character in almost every Bond movie for over 30 years, it was a classy move IMO to give him a sentimental send off. As for the how the scene plays, the John Cleese stuff doesn't work well as Cleese comes off looking stupid, but the dialogue between Pierce and Desmond is well scripted and acted.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    On balance, I find a lot less to quibble with here than with Entertainment Weekly's list of best and worst Bond girls, which I posted in another thread.

Tough to argue with "IEU2D" as the best, although others could have been worthy. Probably the biggest miss for me is the ski jump and Union Jack parachute from TSWLM -- surely there's room for that in the top 10.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    I think we have had this discussion before, but I think the Q scene was brilliant. Q was a key character in almost every Bond movie for over 30 years, it was a classy move IMO to give him a sentimental send off. As for the how the scene plays, the John Cleese stuff doesn't work well as Cleese comes off looking stupid, but the dialogue between Pierce and Desmond is well scripted and acted.
    I agree. I think this scene deserved an inclusion, if only to say goodbye to Llewelyn. I also think the scene was well written and acted, including the contribution of Cleese. In fact, Barry, I disagree with you on that regard as I think Cleese showed in this scene that he would be a worthy successor, which IMO he would be.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited November 2006
    I don't have a major problem with the list. There are a few scenes that I might not have on my top 10 list (for example, I don't necessarily think that the laser scene was the best scene in GF, although it is a deserved number 1) but really I think it's a very good list. I do however have three complaints-

1)I can not believe that Connery's return in NSNA made the list. If they had to feature his return on the list, I would have picked DAF. Personally I think that most 'best of' lists should ignore NSNA.

2)I also can not believe that the escape scene from TND made the list. Don't get me wrong, I liked the scene, but not only were there plenty of great action scenes which didn't make the list, I don't even think it was the best action scene in TND. If they had to include an action scene from TND, I would have opted for the car chase scene.

3):
    Probably the biggest miss for me is the ski jump and Union Jack parachute from TSWLM -- surely there's room for that in the top 10.
    I completely agree. This has to be one of the greatest stunts, not just in Bond films, but in the history of cinema. I like the list but I think the exclusion of this stunt, 29 years on still as exciting as ever, is a massive mistake.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    So when did Q tell Bond to never let them see him bleed?

It does seem odd that Dan and Barry, who have been quite against any change in the Bond series towards the emotional and character-based preferring the sillier side of the series (that's fair isn't it? Apologies if I've got you wrong) pick out this character-based, emotional scene as one of their faves. I do like the little crack in Pierce's voice as he says 'are you?', but the rest of it is badly written and quite, quite bizarre as Q is lowered into his pit.
    edited November 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    It does seem odd that Dan and Barry, who have been quite against any change in the Bond series towards the emotional and character-based preferring the sillier side of the series (that's fair isn't it? Apologies if I've got you wrong) pick out this character-based, emotional scene as one of their faves.
    That's not entirely true. I do like the 'sillier' side of Bond (although I don't like to use that term as IMO it implies a negative judgement) but I have never had a problem with emotion and character analysis as long as it wasn't OTT. The final scene with Llewelyn was IMO a great scene, because while it was appropriately emotional, it wasn't OTT.
    emtiem wrote:
    I do like the little crack in Pierce's voice as he says 'are you?', but the rest of it is badly written and quite, quite bizarre as Q is lowered into his pit.
    I don't think it's either bizarre or badly written. Q was always working on a fancy device, and if he was going to leave, he wouldn't just walk out the front door. ;)
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I agree with Sir Hillary.

My dad took me to TSWLM, when the Union Jack unfurled and the theme kicked in, the palace went wild.

:007)
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    So when did Q tell Bond to never let them see him bleed?

It does seem odd that Dan and Barry, who have been quite against any change in the Bond series towards the emotional and character-based preferring the sillier side of the series (that's fair isn't it? Apologies if I've got you wrong) pick out this character-based, emotional scene as one of their faves. I do like the little crack in Pierce's voice as he says 'are you?', but the rest of it is badly written and quite, quite bizarre as Q is lowered into his pit.

Aren't you over-analyzing this just a little bit, especially as how the entire scene only lasts for maybe two or three minutes?

I viewed it as nothing more than a sentimental farewell to an actor who'd contributed to the films for nearly 40 years. I thought everybody acquitted themselves nicely and I can think of far worse ways for an actor to say goodbye to a role.

Those kinds of sendoffs usually do get a little hokey but at least they acknowledged the actor and gave us a plausible reason for his successor's appearance; unlike poor Lois Maxwell who was silently replaced, left behind and quickly forgotten.

As for other memorable scenes, I think Connery's first introduction as Bond, James Bond in Dr. No across the table from Sylvia Trench (which the author actually mentions in his first paragraph) deserved to be on the actual list. After all, it is the first time we ever see the cinematic James Bond.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Nobody could've possibly forseen that tragic incident.

Q's farewell in TWINE and the unintentional significance added to it. How can anyone diss that?
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Alex wrote:

Q's farewell in TWINE and the unintentional significance added to it. How can anyone diss that?

Given the way it played out and the words spoken by everybody involved, I always thought that scene was intended as Desmond's way of gracefully retiring from the series. The tragedy that happened shortly thereafter only added more emotion to it for me as well and made it all the more poignant.
    edited November 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    As for other memorable scenes, I think Connery's first introduction as Bond, James Bond in Dr. No across the table from Sylvia Trench (which the author actually mentions in his first paragraph) deserved to be on the actual list. After all, it is the first time we ever see the cinematic James Bond.
    That should have been number 1. :D One of the greatest scenes of all time, it was arguably the most important as it not only introduced us to Bond but played a key role in establishing his personality. Brilliant. :007)
    Alex wrote:

Are you referring to Llewelyn's car accident? Yes, the scene certainly did rise in significance. :'( I have always found it bittersweet irrespective of Llewelyn's death, however his death did add some poignancy.
    Alex wrote:

Because it's rubbish- it's only a good scene because of the relevance of it outside of the film. In the film, only Pierce's line actually makes it work- the rest is awful. 'See you bleed'? The weirdly slow decent while he looks, slightly terrified, into Bond's eyes as if pleading him to help him? It's very odd.

I'd agree with Barry that there's a whole host of classic scenes like the 'Bond, James Bond' scene with much better writing, acting and direction which deserved to be in there. This is only liked because everyone's sad to see Desmond go, which isn't great movie-making; it's just, well, liking a nice bloke.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    I agree with the top-4, although I wouldn't put those in that order.

My list looks like this:

1) Bond. James Bond (DN)- Quite simply, this is it. This is the introduction to 007 in all of its (and his) classy, subversive glory.

2) Pushkin's Hotel Room in TLD- This is the Literary 007 in his worst frame of mind, through and through: choleric, ruthless, and cunning. Giving Pushkin a brutal shot to the belly, remorselessly stripping Pushkin's wife's clothes off to distract the bodyguard, beating Pushkin's bodyguard to a pulp, and then leading Pushkin on to the accord. All the while, he grips the silenced Walther with intense focus, ready to fire on the moment's notice of a wrong answer by Pushkin. Dalton aces this scene like no other actor has ever aced a Bond scene before. And to top it off, the most sardonic Bond witicism yet:

Pushkin: "I take it this is not a social call?" Bond: "Correct. You should have brought lillies."

3. The death of Tracy in OHMSS- The most important scene in Bond film history to date, and arguably the most important in the novels, as well. Bond has just found true love a second time around, and he is ready to give his life and everlasting loyalty to a woman and to trade his inner turmoil and demons for lifelong happiness. All of this is taken away in a span of 2 seconds, as Tracy is murdered, Bond's heart left shattered yet again. He's left broken, carressing his dead wife desperately, with nothing to say. Lazenby gets a lot of flak for his Bond, but in this scene, he's indisputably as good as they (Bond actors) have ever been.

4. Bond killing Professor Dent in cold blood in DN- Again, Fleming's Bond through and through in cold-blooded killer mode. Bond is in complete control of the scene and his prey, with calm arrogance in knowing that Dent is a dead man. Connery is icey and magnificent. This and the above scene make one wonder whether it is possible for the ruthless 007 of Fleming's novels to be portrayed any better than what Dalton and Connery did.

5. Laser to the crotch in GF- Bond at his most vulnerable and mortal. Ithere's literally nothing he can do: he's strapped to a table with a diamond cutter about to cleave him in two, with no gadgets to free himself and no smoke and mirrors games to wit his way out. He's doomed, resorting to bluffing his way out of death and to lowering himself below Goldfinger's will. Connery is flat out brilliant in this scene.

6. Cabin fight in FRWL- The best fight scene in any movie. Once again, Bond is extremely vulnerable; he is on the verge of death, and he knows it very well in confronting it. You can see the uncomfortable sweat poring from him, as he struggles to find a way out of the cabin alive. When it finally dawns on him, we see the subtle rise in confidence, as Bond taunts Grant arrogantly and mercilessly while maintaining the facade of worry. A couple of briefcases later, Bond is in the fight for his life, resorting to the barbarism of his opponent in struggling to survive. As he eventually comes out on top with his wit, he sardonically claims the victor's spoils and offers the late Grant one last witicism. Connery is superb here.

7. The Dive in LTK- This is the cinematic Bond at his most romantic, and it oozes with the romantic nature of the Literary 007. After being best man for his best friend Leiter in his wedding, Bond is reminded of the nature of his tormented soul, at the heart of it being the death of his true love and late wife, Tracy. We are reminded of this tormented character who cannot find resolution to it, and this goes into overdrive as Felix is maimed for life and Della is raped and murdered. When Bond meets Bouvier, suddenly it's as if the answers to his problems had been found: here is a female agent who knows the business, like him, and who is arguably as intelligent, resourceful, and cut for duty as he is without whom he cannot complete his mission in Isthmus. The two instantly connect on the boat, as the focused Bouvier loses all of that and falls for Bond. They grow fond of each other professionally, and Bouvier comes to Bond's aid when he needs her most. When Bond gets involved with Lupe at the end and sees what he has done to Bouvier, he is reminded of everything she's done for him and the fact that she's right for him, and he (literally) falls for her into the pool. This is pure joy at its best in Bond films, and Dalton and Lowell are perfect in the scene. If James Bond stories were to end outright, this would be the perfect way to do it, and Bouvier would have been the perfect woman for Bond to finally settle down with.

8. Honey Rider rising from the sea in DN- Is there any dispute that this belongs in the top-10? Not from this end. Hot, hot, hot, and the epitome of the Bond girl.

9. The Beach in GE- I love the whole sequence at GoldenEye estate, from the car zooming by along the beach trail to the bedroom scene. But the beach scene takes it. Here's Bond, in disheveled clothing, pant legs rolled up, looking out to the sea, reflecting on his life, the torment of his job, and the implication it has in the present: he must kill a man who was his friend, because now he's his enemy. As Natalya walks out to him looking breathtaking in that bikini, she confronts him, and Bond's inner turmoils are thrown away as he grabs Natalya forcefully and proves to her he has a soul. This is Brosnan at his best as Bond, as far as I'm concerned.

10. The "Marriage" in YOLT- This may seem like quite an unusual pick for me, but I just love this scene to death, for some reason. It has a Flemingesque feel to it, going very deeply into the cultural of the particular place and time in which Bond finds himself (as Fleming is certainly want to do). The settings are very rich and lush, as they are throughout the movie, and it makes this sequence work very well. I often find myself popping in YOLT just to see this scene, and I'll replay it over and over again.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,807MI6 Agent
    I think Dalton deserves one or two scenes on the list. What of the cargo net fight in TLD, one of the best action scenes in the series and amazing after some movies with should-have-been pensioner Moore. Or the scene in LTK where Bond kills the man who betrayed Felix? Few scenes portrays the brutal ******* in Bind better.
    Number24 wrote:
    I think Dalton deserves one or two scenes on the list. What of the cargo net fight in TLD, one of the best action scenes in the series and amazing after some movies with should-have-been pensioner Moore. Or the scene in LTK where Bond kills the man who betrayed Felix? Few scenes portrays the brutal ******* in Bind better.
    I don't agree with your comment about Moore but I do agree that the scene in LTK in which Bond killed Killifer was terrific. I don't think it's good enough to be considered one of the ten (or even fifteen) best Bond scenes of all time but it is a great scene.
    I think the scene pretty much defines Dalton's Bond: Brutal, well-acted, low tec and angry!
    The obvious Moore twin would be when he kicks the car of the clif in FYEO. but that was allmost out of caracter moment for Moore. I want to ask you: if you had to pick one or two scenes from the Dalton Bonds for the list, what would it be?
    edited November 2006
    I would pick from two and I think someone has posted these before (maybe Klaus). 1 - Diving in the pool for Carey Lowell, very romantic and it struck me as something Bond would do. 2 - Pulling Pushkin's wife's dress down to distract the guard. Another thing I think Bond would do.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Definitely the killing of Killifer (as previously mentioned)

The second, I'm not sure because I don't like him, but how about the Tangiers Rooftop Chase?
    I concur with Barry Nelson's choises!
  • trying to remembertrying to remember Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    There are so many that are marvelous, but there is something creeping out of my memory that I can't remember... I mean, I can't remember which film it was from.

It is NOT a "best scene," but I'm hoping you lot can tell me which movie it was from... because I want to find it again.

As a kid, back in the days when there was still an antena on top of the TV, I saw a Bond movie that had a scene in it where there was a dark-haired woman in a sweater singing a song... I think it was in Italian.

There was a metal chimney hanging over a fire in the room...the words I remember sounded to me like ( please forgive the spelling... I was only in Elementary school the last time I heard this, and that was better that 30 years ago): "Domoni, kilo, monio, mi (my)... the notes are still in my head, but I can't very well post them here.

I know I saw that movie in the early to mid 70's, but don't know how old it was at the time. It was the "Evening Movie" on one of the network chanels.

Does this ring a bell for any of you Bond enthusiasts? I would really like to hear the song again, but have had no luck in finding it.

I could make a long list of Bond movies that I know the song is NOT in, but will refrain from doing so for now. If any of you know which movie this was from, either please post here or e-mail me at jammydog@bellsouth.net.

I would most appreciate the help.

Thanks-

Harold
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    It is not a great scene, but i saw it back then when i was a kid, and i thought " this man really is smart, and know what he`s doing" the scene wa this:

The Hotel Room scene in Dr. No, when he strips one of his hairs yo put it in the closet, puts pwder in the briefcase... i was really glad and remembered the same way when i read the book. i might add that i have a enormous pleasure when Bond examines the room as he arrives (in Piz Gloria in OHMSS) i have no idea why, it hardly needs acting, but i know that that`s how Bond Behaves.

And Dalton's... hard, but i like the execution in Gorgi's defection (?), the coolnes in the bfieffin after that, the Hotel scene (the wife part is amazing) and right before the Rooftop chase, Puskin's fake assassination.

FRWL train fight was so good that it came later in LALD and TSWLM, but it didn't have the same impact in the audience.

Probably there are lots of Bond scenes, but there are the ones with gadgets (GF chase, TSWLM chase...) and the pure Bond ones like when Moore Burns the snake in LALD with his brand new home made flame thrower, and continues shaving... pure Bond, pure Moore

I agree with the Q scene... it really would be sad if Q couldn't say something "smart", no, i mean important for his farewell.
    edited November 2006
    Number24 wrote:
    If you had to pick one or two scenes from the Dalton Bonds for the list, what would it be?
    Definitely the killing of Killifer. I would also pick either diving into the pool in LTK or Pushkin's Hotel Room in TLD. I don't think either of these scenes are among the ten best scenes of all time. The truth is, my top-ten list would exclude Dalton, but I do think they are great scenes.
    A couple more from CR that need to be added to my top-10 list:

* The torture scene- Right to the top of my list. This is the defining moment of Craig's arrogant, determined, defiant Bond.
    * The PTS- Quite simply, the best PTS ever done.
    * The poisoning sequence- This rivals the laser scene in Goldfinger in intensity raising the possibility that James might just bite it this time. It's shot in the cinematographic style used in some British cinema products in recent years (a couple of Craig flicks, Enduring Love and Layer Cake, being a couple of examples off the top of my head), and it works well.
    edited November 2006
    I think it's a good list. Here however is my list of the 10 greatest Bond scenes of all time. Before I start I want to note three things; one, this list might change in the near future as I think there are dozens of scenes which deserve to make the list, two, NSNA will not be up for consideration (Sorry JFF :p), and three, I'll also include two honourable mentions.

1)The introduction of Bond in DN. One of the most delightful scenes in the entire series, I actually consider this to be the most important scene. The reason being, Bond was not only introduced, but in this scene his cool, suave persona was firmly established.

2)The ski jump in TSWLM- The mother of all stunts. This is a moment that 29 years on is as exciting as if it was made yesterday. It is also a brilliant example of why CGI isn't always suitable for an action film. Before DAD was made, the producers should have watched this scene as it might have prevented DAD being the disaster that it was.

3)Discussing the scheme with Goldfinger- This is undoubtfully a minority opinion as I consider this to be the best scene in GF. I absolutely adore this scene. The reason I value it so much is that as well as being a master class in acting (on the part of both Connery and Frobe) it also demonstrates both Bond's respect for professionalism and for those who are the best at what they do and Goldfinger's vanity. The scheme itself is brilliant but one of the best things about the scheme is watching the facial expressions of both actors. Brilliant! :D

4)The fight on the train in FRWL- One of the greatest fights in the history of cinema. I do not regard this as undisputably the best Bond fight (there are other fights which may challenge this for greatest ever) but the entire scene is, in terms of brilliance, completely unsurpassed. Bond and Grant, two fearsome adversaries played by two of the greatest actors of all time, go one on one. It's a brutal and violent fight which begins when Bond identifies Grant by the wine that he had at dinner. Ony Bond would notice something like that. This is a great scene which has been emulated in DAF, LALD and TSWLM, among others, but will forever be (when the entire scene is taken into account) the best of the best.

5)The death of Tracy in OHMSS- First let me say that I disagree with those who say that this is the most important scene in the Bond films. Nonetheless, it is certainly the most heartbreaking and among the best acted. I am not a fan of Lazenby but I doubt anybody could have handled this scene as well as he did. I am also not a fan of OTT emotion in Bond films and this scene IMO was played perfectly. The uttering of that line (which still gets to me), along with the knowledge that Bond played a role in Tracey's death (which he subconsciously knew was going to occur) and the absolute brilliant filmmaking involved in this scene make it one of the greatest scenes of all time. It may very well be the most important scene since the introduction of Bond in DN.

6)The laser scene in GF- One of the most famous scenes of all time (perhaps the most famous) I think this was simply a superb scene. Bond is always (unfairly IMO) criticised for an over-reliance on gadgets. Well, in this scene, Bond removes himself from a desperate situation due to sheer cunning and smarts. The dialogue itself has justifiably become part of cinematic legend. Plus, as a bonus, the scene leads to the introduction of Pussy Galore! :D

7)The Crocodile scene in LALD- The very definition of cool. Bond walks across the back of crocodiles as if he doesn't have a care in the world. A classic Moore moment and surely one of the greatest Bond moments of all time.

8)The killing of Sandor in TSWLM- Alot of people would be suprised by this, but I think this is a superior scene to the killing of Dent in DN. I think this is a magnificent scene which not only proves that Moore's Bond was among the most ruthless of all but was itself an example of a cold-blooded killing to rival the best of them. Bond let go of Sandor's tie and walked away as if he hadn't just cold-bloodedly killed someone. I would argue that few Bonds were as ruthless as Moore was in TSWLM.

9)Honey Rider rising from the sea in DN- A beautiful and legendary entrance of one of the sexiest Bond girls of them all. Imitated but never bettered, this scene introduced one of the series' best elements; the women! :D

10)The killing of Electra- Bond kills a woman in cold blood. Enough said. (I love it not because I enjoy seeing women get killed but because nothing demonstrates Bond's ruthlessness more than killing a beautiful awoman in the way that he did in TWINE.)

Honourable mention 1)The killing of Dent in DN- A magnificent scene which deserves to be an honourable mention due to Connery's cold-as-ice performance and the fact that the scene is just so well written and acted. I don't agree with those who claim that this was the greatest example of Bondian ruthlessness but I think that this is a truly magnificent scene which is incredibly unlucky to make the top 10 and is therefore being named an homourable mention.

Honourable Mention 2)Bond's tustle with Xenia in GE- Xenia Onatopp was one of the sexiest women in the history of the Bond films IMO. Some people have (unfairly IMO) criticised the Bond films for being too much like kids' films, and although it may be true in regards to the second half of MR, Bond's first encounter with Xenia was one of the hottest and most 'adult' scenes in the history of the Bond films. I'm including this scene because I love it so much. There are a few scenes which deserve to make the list as much as this one but the combination of sex and violence, along with arguably the second greatest Bond and one of the all-time great Bond girls (or villainesses) turns this scene into a masterwork. It is a very different scene to the FRWL train scene, but in its own way, it is IMO equally brilliant. Plus, who wouldn't want to be Bond in this scene? :D
    I would pick from two and I think someone has posted these before (maybe Klaus). 1 - Diving in the pool for Carey Lowell, very romantic and it struck me as something Bond would do. 2 - Pulling Pushkin's wife's dress down to distract the guard. Another thing I think Bond would do.

Barry, if it's Dalton, you know damn well it was me. ;)
    edited January 2007
    A couple more from CR that need to be added to my top-10 list:

* The torture scene- Right to the top of my list. This is the defining moment of Craig's arrogant, determined, defiant Bond.
    * The PTS- Quite simply, the best PTS ever done.
    * The poisoning sequence- This rivals the laser scene in Goldfinger in intensity raising the possibility that James might just bite it this time. It's shot in the cinematographic style used in some British cinema products in recent years (a couple of Craig flicks, Enduring Love and Layer Cake, being a couple of examples off the top of my head), and it works well.

Klaus, I would disagree with two of selections.

The poisoning scene, I didn't think for a second he was going to die, and the way he pops back to normal almost instantly diminished the scene even further IMO.

The PTS, was too short and lacked any real tension. Shooting it in black and white, was interesting visually, but didn't add to the emotional impact at all. IMO.

The torture scene, was good, and will go down as a classic.
    edited January 2007
    Klaus, I would disagree with two of selections.

The poisoning scene, I didn't think for a second he was going to die, and the way he pops back to normal almost instantly diminished the scene even further IMO.

The PTS, was too short and lacked any real tension. Shooting it in black and white, was interesting visually, but didn't add to the emotional impact at all. IMO.

The torture scene, was good, and will go down as a classic.
    Barry, I completely agree with you. The PTS was also IMO too short, and I also think it was unnecesarilly confusing. I like the B+W but I would have loved for the PTS to be more substantial. Plus, thisn't isn't really a criticism, considering that CR is meant to be so 'realistic,' but I find the idea of Bond having to kill two people in order to become a 00 (sort of like a Mafioso having to kill someone in order to make his bones) completely unreallistic. I would have expected that Bond had already had some experience in killing, and it doesn't strike me as a realistic way to get 00 status. Again, it's not really a criticism as CR is a film and I can accept alot more implausibilites, however it is interesting since people talk about how 'realistic' CR is. ;)

In regards to the poisoning scene, I think it's a good scene, albeit not a great one. I think it was quite tense, and I didn't know what was going to happen. In regards to Bond's being poisoned, the scene in the car arguably proved just how meaningless the chip was. 8-) (If Bond hadn't gone into the car, would M + co have known that he was in trouble?) Also, while I agree that the way Bond bounced back to normal wasn't wonderful (it would have been far better IMO if he had gone back to the poker game the next day), I do appreciate the line; "That last hand nearly killed me." ;)

The torture scene was great, but lessened IMO by Mikkelsen's performance (who in this scene was a little odd IMO.) Nonetheless, it was a great scene.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    The first part of the poisoning sequence is very good as Bond becomes increasingly unsteady he realises what has occurred grabs the salt and glass then rushes to the toilet/bathroom. It should really have ended there because once Bond stumbles toward the Aston Martin it becomes more like a farce as numerous MI6 staff shout instructions followed by a miraculously speedy recovery after Vesper's intervention.

The PTS is one of the real highlights of Casino Royale. Bond's one-on-one with Dryden is very well scripted and acted, the toilet/bathroom fight is very brutal and effective. I like the B+W and I really like David Arnold's music.

The torture scene is nigh on perfect. The directing, editing, lighting, camera angles, script and acting are faultless. A fabulous mix of humour and tension.
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Oooh, this should be fun...

10) The centrefuge scene in Moonraker. This was the closest Moore ever came for me to capturing the essence of the old school Bonds.

9) The fight with Red Grant on the train in FRWL. Little more can be said here that hasn't already been said-- perhaps the best fight in the whole series, and arguably one of the best confrontations in movie history. I liked particularly how Bond had to rely on his wits and toughness while exploiting his enemy's weaknesses to get out of an otherwise impossible situation.

8) The panoramic fight on the Kobe dock in YOLT. I've always loved that scene, and the music that accompanies it.

7) The Bond and Draco scene in OHMSS. I love every part of this scene-- from the moment Bond is apprehended in his hotel, on through that awesome fight outside Draco's study and concluding with the heart to heart talk between Bond and the leader of the Union Corps-- I consider this one of the definitive scenes in the series. In addition to the great score that accompanies its entirety I find it to be one of the most penetrating looks into the character of Bond, and I love the way Lazenby handled it. Two things stand out in my mind. The first is rather subtle. It occurs when Bond is being led by Draco's thugs through the warehouse. They walk him through a swinging gate and when Bond passes it he hurls it forcefully back to the guy behind him. This small scene captures perfectly what I love about Lazenby's Bond. He's a tough guy with a bit of a cocksure attitude, and he really resented being held against his will, like an angry caged animal. The other part of that scene I love occurs when Bond is talking to Draco. He doesn't seem to be taking the conversation all that seriously-- and then he realizes that Draco might be able to help him find Blofeld. "You have connections not open to me...where is Ernst Stavro Blofeld?" I love that whole scene and the way it's executed.

6) The safe-cracking in OHMSS. It still has its tension after all these years and shows Lazenby's Bond at his best-- cool and collected breaking into Gumbold's office, and flipping through a Playboy magazine to kill the limited time that he has.

5) The whole scene with Jill Masterson. From the moment Bond walks into Goldfinger's suite to find beautiful Shirley Eaton in her underwear, until he finds her covered in gold paint on his bed I consider to be a flawless piece of Bond cinema (and one that demonstrates definitively that Sir Sean is the coolest of the cool). It has everything: the famous line beautifully accompanied by the John Barry orchestra after Jill asks "Who are you?", Bond taking control when admonishes "Now hear this Goldfinger, your luck has just changed.", (to me) one of the most beautiful and memorable girls of the whole series, that famous line about the beatles, the mysterious shadow of Oddjob and of course the famous image of Shirley Eaton painted gold on the bed.

4) Bond and professor Dent. "You've had your 6". Awesome.

3) The scene in GF with the laser on through to the line "you're a woman of many parts Pussy". This has been discussed enough, so I won't bother.

2) Bond and Fiona in TB. Starting from when he greets her in the bathroom by giving her her shoes (heh heh) on through to her getting shot while dancing with him. Connery seemed genuinely worried and threatened there for a bit, but didn't lose any of his cool.

1) The escape from Piz Gloria in OHMSS, starting with ol' George strapping on the skis and ending with Tracey saving his ass. This is probably one of the longest continuous pieces of action in the entire series and it contains (I think) the best ski scene in the series-- and the accompanying score is simply awesome. This scene still gives me goosebumps when I watch it after all this time and it is, for me, the highlight of the series.

Honorable Mention

CR just came out so it hasn't had the "test of time" yet. There were three scenes in it that I can see staying with me for quite some time however (and all three involve Bond killing people...weird). The first was the PTS...I just thought it was really well executed and gave us a good taste of the coolness that is Craig's Bond. The second was that scene in the airport where he ends up knifing that fellow (I forget his name). I love the look of utter determination in Craig's eyes and the manner in which he ultimately comes out on top-- it was in this scene more than any other that he really sold me as Bond. The last scene I am thinking of is the whole fight with the Africans down the stairs followed by his quick drink and change-up in the bathroom.