Thoughts on Vesper

Mikep99Mikep99 Posts: 104MI6 Agent
I added the spoiler note just in case, however, I am sure that many of you, whether you have seen CR, know what happens to her in the end.

However, I cannot be silent anymore. Maybe I am the only one, but I just want to put it out there to see if I am.

Is anyone bothered--even though it happens in the book--by Vesper Lynds death? I guess the movie was so good at developing their love relationship, that when she decides that she cannot live anymore with the guilt, you see a side of Bond crushed. I don't know, maybe I fell in love with Eva Green, but is anyone.....I dare say....hurt by her death in the movie?

Comments

• highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    You're not alone.
    I thought the romance, although brief perhaps in terms of screen time, was drawn well-enough by the scriptwriters that I was moved by it. It also helped that Green and Craig had really good chemistry. I got a little teary-eyed when she died. Definitely a first for a Bond film. I thought Eva was wonderful in the part.
  • James F EJames F E Posts: 140MI6 Agent
    I thought the death scean was fantastic. It had to happen, they go off together happily ever after.

Fiona Volpe: Some men don't like to be driven.

Bond: No, some men don't like to be taken for a ride
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    In Fleming's writing, Bond had exactly two tragic love interests...

To me, Tracy and Vesper are two sides of the same coin: They represent Bond's failed attempts to find peace---to have a life outside Her Majesty's Secret Service...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Mikep99Mikep99 Posts: 104MI6 Agent
    It is truly sad and I am happy to hear that the acting and build up of the relationship actually worked.
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    "Creepy!" my newbie friend said when she saw the scene of Bond opening the bathroom door finding Vesper sitting in the shower.

I was definitely bothered by just how human Vesper was in this movie. It wasn't just well-written banter, but the normally unseen aspects of a relationship between Bond and a woman. The scene prior to the stairway brawl where Bond and Vesper are exchanging quips with her in just a towel was very fascinating. I kept saying to myself, "This has never been done before."

And having my own issues of fear with the deep, one of the worst imagineable ways for me to go would be by drowning. And that anyone would CHOOSE that is downright sadistic! That touched me a little.
  • licencetokilllicencetokill Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    i thought the end was very moving, and i believe that Eva Green acted amazingly as Vesper, i am still glad however that they left in the immortal line from the book..."the bitch is dead"
  • aquafluteaquaflute Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Yeah! I love Vesper too. However as soon as I saw Bond wrote that resignation I knew bad things were going to happen. It's bad that there can't be a happy ever after ending.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    That last scene of Vespers was one of my favourites. I would describe it as haunting. Excellently done, were she just looks at Bond then starts gasping. Terrific stuff.

I liked Eva's Vesper. Most of the Bond girls in recent times have left me cold. I liked she was vulnerable. The shower scene was a realistic response for someone who doesn't normally deal with those kinds of things and she was smart and confident without being Wonder Woman.

Tops marks from me.
    I agree.

I think Eva did a great job as Vesper. The development of their relationship was well done and necessary in order for everyone to understand the James Bond that becomes at the end. Once the movie has ended, you can see the real James Bond developed at the end in my opinion.
    Lady Rose wrote:
    That last scene of Vespers was one of my favourites. I would describe it as haunting. Excellently done, were she just looks at Bond then starts gasping. Terrific stuff.

I liked Eva's Vesper. Most of the Bond girls in recent times have left me cold. I liked she was vulnerable. The shower scene was a realistic response for someone who doesn't normally deal with those kinds of things and she was smart and confident without being Wonder Woman.

Tops marks from me.
  • CharityCharity Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Thanks for posting this. I feel the same way.

We're probably seeing it again tonite, but I'm not looking forward to watching her death again. Their chemistry was too real. I don't usually have trouble letting go of movie tragedies, but this one really bugs me. It doesn't help that Daniel Craig looks more than a little like my hubby, who I'm completely in love with ... ;)

It would totally change (destroy?) the story for Vesper to live ... and I'm not sure I care! I want the gadgets that were missing in this movie to surface in the next, and somehow have brought her back from death.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    Charity wrote:
    Thanks for posting this. I feel the same way.

We're probably seeing it again tonite, but I'm not looking forward to watching her death again. Their chemistry was too real. I don't usually have trouble letting go of movie tragedies, but this one really bugs me. It doesn't help that Daniel Craig looks more than a little like my hubby, who I'm completely in love with ... ;)

It would totally change (destroy?) the story for Vesper to live ... and I'm not sure I care! I want the gadgets that were missing in this movie to surface in the next, and somehow have brought her back from death.

All of a sudden invisible Aston Martins don't sound so bad :)) :007) :p

One thing I want to ask or notice is, does anyone think Vesp and Tracy had to die? From a professional standpoint, having Bond tied to someone in that type of manner would only make him vulnerable from a certain angle, especially if he still stayed in MI6. I also think that, while Bond mentioned he would leave MI6 for both of them, he 1) would not do it for very long and 2) may not necessarily be able to vanish from the MI6 life as easily, especially if there were still some powerful figures who still wanted him dead (like Blofeld for example).
    DAW you bring up a good point and one that cannot be overlooked. I guess, like I have said a thousand times already in this thread, the problem with me, and others alike, is that the story was actually developed well enough for one to be bothered, hurt, etc. by her death. Not only that, Eva Green does a great job in her final act and truthfully you believe that she died.

About whether she did survive would things be normal or not. I would guess exactyl what you guessed. Bond would eventually be found back in MI6 doing something.

I just downloaded the CR soundtrack with the bonus tracks and I heard one of the songs that represents their relationship and it brought back sad memories.
  • cdsdsscdsdss JakartaPosts: 144MI6 Agent
    Agent Wade wrote:
    I kept saying to myself, "This has never been done before."

That was my feeling after Vesper's final scene. I watched it--knew it was coming--but still thought "Nothing in the 44 years of the film franchise could prepare me for this." I found it even more emotional than Tracy's death.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    I remember when I was reading the novel I had to stop and re-read what just happened when Bond found Vesper dead. Took me a minute to digest the final act. I have yet to see the film (if I do), so I'm not sure how I would react when I see it in the film
  • James F EJames F E Posts: 140MI6 Agent
    Sorry but Tracy's death is still the most moving of them all. Ms. Green did a fantastic job w/ the death of Vesper, but in OHMSS, the build up of the love story and the wedding, made Tracy's death more tragic. I don't think it would have worked as well w/ Sir Sean. Lazenby did great in that seen.

Fiona Volpe: Some men just don't like to be driven.

Bond: No, some men don't like to be taken for a ride.
  • bucsrsafebucsrsafe Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    hey,

was wondering whether anyone had a view on whether vesper actually loved bond at all at any time in the movie or was she just playing him all along for her algerian boyfriend? this has been bugging me since i saw it. would be good if somebody could give me a definitive answer.
    bucsrsafe wrote:
    hey,

was wondering whether anyone had a view on whether vesper actually loved bond at all at any time in the movie or was she just playing him all along for her algerian boyfriend? this has been bugging me since i saw it. would be good if somebody could give me a definitive answer.

I think she really did him and may have saved his life -- But we probably won't find out exactly how until Bond 22
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    I think she really did him and may have saved his life -- But we probably won't find out exactly how until Bond 22
    Oh, I've no doubt she did him...and he did her right back! ;)
    Hilly...you old devil!
    I think she really loved him. We saw it again last night, and her look of distress after inputting the account code, the looks she gave him when he confessed his feelings ... yeah, I think she loved him. At least ... as much as she could, being who she was.
    DAWUSS wrote:
    All of a sudden invisible Aston Martins don't sound so bad :)) :007) :p

I know, I know. I asked for that. ;%

And yes, I think she had to die. I doubt there is any feat of storytelling or moviemaking that could alter that fact and keep the James Bond character intact. I'm just not happy about it. ;)
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    I thought Vesper's death was more moving that Tracy's for one reason, Tracy was murdered, which was bad, but Vesper chose to die, she xould have survived but she chose to die. thats why in my oppinion her death would have scarred Bond more than Tracy's death because he could have saved Vesper if she wanted saving. there was very little he could have done for tracy.
  • mike77mike77 Posts: 27MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Bond should have get out of his bobsled and twist blofelds neck again, making sure blofeld would be dead..
  • lavabubblelavabubble Posts: 229MI6 Agent
    It will be interesting to see in the next film whether or not Vesper's boyfriend (should he be in it!!)is the bad guy or if Bond is asked to rescue him from those holding him.

I know it might come across as predictable but saving him (if he is some sort of innocent in all this) or killing him (if he was behind the manipulation that caused the demise of Vesper) would perhaps see Bond soften again slightly in the next film. He would be doing it to mark his love for her which I can't believe was turned off so easily once he found out she was being blackmailed into doing what she did.
  • jhermanjherman Posts: 59MI6 Agent
    I think the story would have been better if Caterina Murino would have been the main girl,Eva just didn't have the Bond girl looks,I think a Bond girl should have.and her acting just wasn't there for me.and her look,she go from totally hot in .007 seconds.

this is the only thing I would change in the whole movie,I have seen it twice and both time,this is my only complaint.
    highhopes wrote:
    Oh, I've no doubt she did him...and he did her right back! ;)

:)) :)) :)) :))

I still say we won't find how she did him until Bond 22.

I've got to watch those dropped words. :))
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    jherman wrote:
    I think the story would have been better if Caterina Murino would have been the main girl,Eva just didn't have the Bond girl looks,I think a Bond girl should have.and her acting just wasn't there for me.and her look,she go from totally hot in .007 seconds.

this is the only thing I would change in the whole movie,I have seen it twice and both time,this is my only complaint.

I really hoped and wanted to see more of Caterina Murino, seriously underused. For me, she definitely appears more like a natural Bond girl beauty than Eva Green, but Green is the better actress and is a very worthy Vesper. For the most part, Green appears with plenty of make up, but it's actually the scene in the bathroom where she doesn't have any make up on that she looks her most attractive.
    lavabubble wrote:
    It will be interesting to see in the next film whether or not Vesper's boyfriend (should he be in it!!)is the bad guy or if Bond is asked to rescue him from those holding him.

I know it might come across as predictable but saving him (if he is some sort of innocent in all this) or killing him (if he was behind the manipulation that caused the demise of Vesper) would perhaps see Bond soften again slightly in the next film. He would be doing it to mark his love for her which I can't believe was turned off so easily once he found out she was being blackmailed into doing what she did.

{[] Great minds think alike, Lavabubble. I've said before that I like the idea of the boyfriend being innocent and Bond saving him. I don't think it's predictable at all, and it has real dramatic possibilities for Bond's character. Bond finds it hard to believe Vesper ever really loved him, yet feels compelled to save his rival, both out of natural curiosity about the guy, but also as a way of keeping his love fore Vesper alive. He doesn't tell the boyfriend about his involvement with her. In the process, he discovers that "true" love is about loving another person whether or not you're loved in return. It's got that "Casablanca" vibe.

Script by Wade, Purvis and Haggis
    From a story by Lavabubble and Highhopes

I like the sound of that, although audiences may be a little perplexed :))
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Which death was more tragic, Tracy's or Vesper's? That's the kinda discussion I'd hope there'd be after CR got made. Woo hoo!
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    jherman wrote:

I really hoped and wanted to see more of Caterina Murino, seriously underused. For me, she definitely appears more like a natural Bond girl beauty than Eva Green, but Green is the better actress and is a very worthy Vesper. For the most part, Green appears with plenty of make up, but it's actually the scene in the bathroom where she doesn't have any make up on that she looks her most attractive.

MNL - your thougts about Murino and Green are almost my exact thoughts as posted in my review. Therefore, I think your thoughts are very wise. :)):))

Murino's under use is a real shame, and it is hard to tell how good of an actress she is, she can dismount a horse though.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    I thought Caterina was lovely, far better on film than she was in photographs. I would have loved to have seen more of her, especially as she became the film's Obligatory Sacrificial Lamb. But my heart belongs to Eva...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart