A View To A Kill.... Forgetable?

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    taity wrote:
    Perhaps, but at the same time having him in the role made the role much more memorable than what it could have been.
    The question is, though, was it worth it? I love The Avengers and I'm a big fan of Macnee but I think that AVTAK is so bad that it wasn't worth his appearing in it.

As for being memorable, if I was Macnee, I would hope that people would forget that I appeared in this disaster of a film. :#

Dan... Dan... Dan... X-( ;)

:))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    NEW Avengers? When was that? Why was it "New" and not just "Avengers"?

The New Avengers arrived in '76. Don't know why they called it 'New' other than the fact that they tried to shake up the format a little with some funkier 70s music and by introducing two partners for Steed (who was getting a little creaky by this time), one male, one female. I suppose 'Return' of the Saint was a similar case.
    Joanna Lumley played Purdey, and as someone above said, also appeared as one of Blofeld's girls in OHMSS.

I know it was a joint French/Canadian production and thought that these were shown in the U.S, though it's a long time ago now and there probably haven't been many repeats. Here's a link:

http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/New%20Avengers%20Intro.htm
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    What, no sympathy? :o
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    What, no sympathy? :o

Here's some sympathy, Dan.
    I'm sorry you had to suffer through watching AVTAK.

I hope this helps.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Suffer?

RJJB... RJJB... RJJB... X-( ;)

But anyway Dan, I like GF a lot, I just prefer AVTAK! And of course, we're still friends.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    I'm thinking of opening a clinic for all the shell shocked survivors who had to witness both the Saint and Steed sell their souls. Our counselors will be offering support 24/7. Remember to take it one day at a time, baby steps lead to the road of recovery.

I'm not only the president, I'm also a client. And to quote John Astin's character from Night Court, "I'm feeling much better now."

Because after all, it's only a movie. -{
    edited January 2007
    RJJB wrote:
    Here's some sympathy, Dan.
    I'm sorry you had to suffer through watching AVTAK.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks. ;) It does indeed help. -{
    But anyway Dan, I like GF a lot, I just prefer AVTAK!
    Well, as long as you like GF a lot. :D
    And of course, we're still friends.
    That's wonderful to hear. ;)
    Alex wrote:
    I'm thinking of opening a clinic for all the shell shocked survivors who had to witness both the Saint and Steed sell their souls. Our counselors will be offering support 24/7. Remember to take it one day at a time, baby steps lead to the road of recovery.
    :)) When can I check in? :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    I've been to the clinic, but have only had limited success. I still get a queasy feeling when I see a fire engine or a blimp.
    Alex wrote:

I'm not only the president, I'm also a client. And to quote John Astin's character from Night Court, "I'm feeling much better now."

Remember what happened to the clinic in DAD? You better be careful if you see a cell phone with a backdrop of Alison Doody hanging about... ;)
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    RJJB wrote:
    I've been to the clinic, but have only had limited success. I still get a queasy feeling when I see a fire engine or a blimp.

I love it. :))

The NSA - the dying religion... :D
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RJJB wrote:

I love it. :))

The NSA - the dying religion... :D

It's not dead til I am Rogue. Don't let that give you any ideas! ;)
    RJJB wrote:
    At least someone saw a helium filled dirigible, that should count for something. :v
  • delliott101delliott101 Posts: 115MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Does this clinic provide comfort for those who had to endure GOLDFINGER? And DR. NO? If so, I need it.

Wow.. seems we have those who like their Bond to be a comic book character and others who like him as a, well, secret agent.

Didn't think this topic would garner such a thread!
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Does this clinic provide comfort for those who had to endure GOLDFINGER? And DR. NO? If so, I need it.

Wow.. seems we have those who like their Bond to be a comic book character and others who like him as a, well, secret agent.

Didn't think this topic would garner such a thread!
    Well, I like both depending on mood, my reply was only a light hearted attempt at blowing off a little steam. When you can't do that, then you know it's not which type is better, or who's more faithful, but the serious nature that's taken over a simple motion picture or actor preference. It's dumbfounding.
    edited January 2007
    deleted
    edited January 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Alex wrote:

That section of the clinic is very small with very few people requesting admission. A single room has been reserved in your name. Please obey the "QUARANTINED" signs.
    edited January 2007
    I don't think Bond was ever a comic book character. ;)
    RJJB wrote:
    That section of the clinic is very small with very few people requesting admission. A single room has been reserved in your name. Please obey the "QUARANTINED" signs.
    :)) If I'm going to be in the AVTAK section, won't it be better to place the DN/GF section in a different facility so as to eliminate the possibility of air-borne particles reaching the AVTAK section? :D
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    I don't think Bond was ever a comic book character. ;)

Well, many a comic books have been published about him, Dan :))

But seriously, how realistic is the James Bond universe. I saw this movie once where this crazy guy loved gold, and wanted to blow up Fort Knox. He was helped by a woman named Pussy Galore and a mute Korean manservent, who killed people with his hat. Fortunetly Bond wa able to take them down with his Aston Martin which had an ejector seat. Did I mention the part where the villian gassed 41 000 troops with a squadron of beutiful pilots? Or the laser castrator? I must have.

Question: Was Goldfinger's technical advisor the Joker from the 1960's Batman TV show?
    AVTAK Air Particles? I can't wait to start the AVTAK Germ Warfare and then you'll follow them. YOU'LL FOLLOW THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, got carried away there. (or did I?) ;)
  • baccaretbaccaret Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    avtak is my 21st favorite bond movie,but it is still better than about 90% of other movies out there.:D
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Is AVTAK forgetable? Apparently not since it is constantly brought up on the forum. I have concluded that the overhaul of AVTAK related topics is the work of a conspiracy designed to spite our good friend JennyFlexFan! :))

And yes Rougue, it's the whole NSA/Mole Hunt all over again. God help us. :# :))
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Is AVTAK forgetable? Apparently not since it is constantly brought up on the forum. I have concluded that the overhaul of AVTAK related topics is the work of a conspiracy designed to spite our good friend JennyFlexFan! :))

Well either that or... Can a movie be so bad that it is hard to forget it's badness? ;)
    Tee Hee wrote:

And yes Rougue, it's the whole NSA/Mole Hunt all over again. God help us. :# :))

Come out Rogue and your moley friend! You were behind this the WHOLE TIME, you DASTARDLY FIEND!!!! X-( ;)

And PB... PB... PB... X-( ;)
    Well either that or... Can a movie be so bad that it is hard to forget it's badness? ;)

Come on, none of that. Its not as if we're discussing Plan 9 from Outer Space here.

Perhaps to reanswer the first question - AVTAK is deemed lowly except for a few hardcore fans. And even they don't list it as their favourite.
    taity wrote:

Come on, none of that. Its not as if we're discussing Plan 9 from Outer Space here.

Perhaps to reanswer the first question - AVTAK is deemed lowly except for a few hardcore fans. And even they don't list it as their favourite.

taity, my ears are on FIRE right now. ;)

I think GoldenEye is better certainly but only slightly.
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:

Come out Rogue and your moley friend! You were behind this the WHOLE TIME, you DASTARDLY FIEND!!!! X-( ;)

Oh boy, I remember that...I thought it was fun. I pulled a Benedict Arnold a few times if I recall.
    edited January 2007
    taity wrote:
    But seriously, how realistic is the James Bond universe. I saw this movie once where this crazy guy loved gold, and wanted to blow up Fort Knox. He was helped by a woman named Pussy Galore and a mute Korean manservent, who killed people with his hat. Fortunetly Bond wa able to take them down with his Aston Martin which had an ejector seat. Did I mention the part where the villian gassed 41 000 troops with a squadron of beutiful pilots? Or the laser castrator? I must have.

Question: Was Goldfinger's technical advisor the Joker from the 1960's Batman TV show?
    But is the James Bond universe really all that unrealistic? Yes, every James Bond film (including CR) features elements that aren't completely plausible, but are they truly that unrealistic?

You mentioned GF; Goldfinger wants to blow up Fort Knox in order to increase the value of his gold, which is much more plausible (and IMO much more brilliant) than attempting to steal the gold. Bond explained why when he told Goldfinger that stealing the gold would be impossible (too much gold, not enough time.) Oddjob is mute, but there are of course mute Koreans, while his hat was pretty sharp. It's not unrealistic that he would kill people with it, as it wasn't sharp due to his wanting to open Coke bottles with it. The Aston Martin had an ejector seat but, considering the technological advances that have been made, I would imagine that an ejector seat is quite possible. Also, Pussy Galore may be an unsual name, but is it more unusual than Moon Unit Zappa? :D

At the end of the day, I think that all of the Bond films are pretty unrealistic, but what separates the great ones from the less great ones is not how realistic they are but how well they are made. The five best Bond films of all time IMO consist of three quite realistic films (DN, FRWL, TB), one less realistic film (GF) and one very unrealistic film (TSWLM.) I would rather have a good Bond film than a more/less realistic Bond film (which I don't think is an indicator of quality.)
    0064 wrote:
    Tee Hee wrote:

Oh boy, I remember that...I thought it was fun. I pulled a Benedict Arnold a few times if I recall.

Egad! ARE YOU THE LONG SOUGHT AFTER MOLE?
    ARE YOU THE LONG SOUGHT AFTER MOLE?

Yo know, whenever I hear the word "mole" Im reminded of Austin Powers 3. Remember number 3 - the mole. Moley moley moley moley.

Anyway, Dan...

My point was that I don't deem any James Bond movies to be realistic. My point about Goldfinger was that its deemed to be such a classic yet the story is sounds derrived from a comic book. The nuclear bomb angle adds credibility to it, yes. But why not get pussy to nuke it from the air? That would be easier than breaking in and so forth. I think it's fair to call them comic books. After all, Batman comics, or Sin City comics arent played out for laughs however they arent plausible.

As for the ejector seat - not plausable. To function it would have to have a compressed air canister or some form of launch mechanism underneath the seat. This would wreck the chasis of the car.
  • delliott101delliott101 Posts: 115MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    taity wrote:
    But seriously, how realistic is the James Bond universe. I saw this movie once where this crazy guy loved gold, and wanted to blow up Fort Knox.

Um... he didn't want to blow up Fort Knox... just contaminate the gold with what we today call a "dirty" bomb... it was to contaminate the gold for a few decades...