My son wants to join...

LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
My oldest son has indicated an interest in joining AJB, and I've an obvious question: I know that multiple identities from the same computer are frowned upon...but we only have one computer with internet access, so is it possible to for me to log out and for my son to log back in under his username?

I assure all, there's no tomfoolery or masquerade going on...we're talking about 'Son of Loeffelholz' as with Barbel and his son...

Any guidance would, of course, be most appreciated. :007)
Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I can't see anything wrong with that. Don't think me Dad would be much interested in joining. :(
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,391Chief of Staff
    My oldest son has indicated an interest in joining AJB, and I've an obvious question: I know that multiple identities from the same computer are frowned upon...but we only have one computer with internet access, so is it possible to for me to log out and for my son to log back in under his username?

I assure all, there's no tomfoolery or masquerade going on...we're talking about 'Son of Loeffelholz' as with Barbel and his son...

Any guidance would, of course, be most appreciated. :007)

Logging in and out is exactly what Son Of and I do, so yes it's possible. Ich hoffe Dein Sohn hat Spass an dieser Seite!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited January 2007
    Barbel wrote:
    Ich hoffe Dein Sohn hat Spass an dieser Seite!

Many thanks, Barbel. I've no doubt he will {[]
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    I know that multiple identities from the same computer are frowned upon..

Why?

There's not many houses where each person has their own PC. Many share as a family.
    edited January 2007
    Perhaps I'm just being overly cautious, as I know (personally) a former member (or two or three ;) ) who was expelled for posing behind multiple identities...
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Oh no, double jeopardy? If your son's least favourite Bond actor is Roger Moore then he definitely should not be allowed to sign up. :D

But seriously, Loeff's. If your son is "a chip off the old block" he will be very welcome here. :)
    Perhaps I'm just being overly cautious, as I know (personally) a former member (or two or three ;) ) who was expelled for posing behind multiple identities...

Think this would only be the case if it was used in a malicious way.

Only other reason I could see is maybe it could cause conflicts with some part of the site., but I don't see how.
    edited January 2007
    Oh no, double jeopardy? If your son's least favourite Bond actor is Roger Moore then he definitely should not be allowed to sign up. :D

But seriously, Loeff's. If your son is "a chip off the old block" he will be very welcome here. :)

You might be interested to learn that TMWTGG is his favourite Bond film, :007) even though Moore's not his first choice as leading man (he's a Connery/Craig man for the most part)...you might also be interested to learn that he spent most of 2006 saying he thought Craig wasn't right for the role---'ugly,' he said at the time... :))

Still, everyone will hear from him at some point...when he finishes his homework :v
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,391Chief of Staff
    s96024 wrote:
    Only other reason I could see is maybe it could cause conflicts with some part of the site., but I don't see how.

The only problem we've noticed is that sometimes we're both listed as being online when only one of us actually is, and that's hardly an inconvenience.

You might be interested to learn that TMWTGG is his favourite Bond film, :007) even though Moore's not his first choice as leading man (he's a Connery/Craig man for the most part)...you might also be interested to learn that he spent most of 2006 saying he thought Craig wasn't right for the role---'ugly,' he said at the time... :))

Still, everyone will hear from him at some point...when he finishes his homework :v

I'm very interested to learn that your son's favourite Bond film is TMWTGG. That makes him a very rare breed indeed in Bond fandom. It's a mid ranking Bond film for me, definitely better than it's reputation. And I would still say that even if one of the other Bond actors was 007.

Well, your son was not the only one who originally thought Daniel Craig wasn't right for the role......shuffles uncomfortably. My saving grace is that I never regarded him as 'ugly'. :D
    I'm very interested to learn that your son's favourite Bond film is TMWTGG. That makes him a very rare breed indeed in Bond fandom. It's a mid ranking Bond film for me, definitely better than it's reputation. And I would still say that even if one of the other Bond actors was 007.

Well, your son was not the only one who originally thought Daniel Craig wasn't right for the role......shuffles uncomfortably. My saving grace is that I never regarded him as 'ugly'. :D

To make him an even rarer---nay, endangered---breed, the theme song is also his favourite. You should see him, his brother and me singing along in the minivan when I'm driving and the Bond 'mix disc' is in the player B-) "He has a powerful weapon...he charges a million a shot..."

He definitely has his own opinions, but we agree on the most important one: James Bond rules.
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    I will just set the record straight, there is nothing wrong with people using one computer to log in to multiple accounts. 100 different people can use the same computer with different accounts here if that's the only PC they have access to :D

Where we draw the line is the use of multiple accounts by one person. I.e. Loeff signs up for Loeffelholz, tigger63 and jimmy45, then decides to have a conversation between himself, all the time pretending to be 3 completely different people.

It is also common for people who have previosuly been removed from the site to try signing up with different identities, but we can and do spot them!

Therefore there is absolutely nothing wrong with you and your son using the same computer to access ajb with different accounts. Obviously you will have to login and out everytime to access the different account features.

As for Barbel's comment about being listed as online, this is simply because the second account must of logged in within 5 minutes of the first account logging out. The Who's Online is 'dumb' so it doesn't take the departure into account.

Other than that there is nothing (touch wood!) that will be affected in the site. It just see's account 1 as account 1 and account 2 as account 2!

On that note I will breath and welcome your son to the fold {[]
    Simon
    Many thanks, sir. Much appreciated. :007)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    To make him an even rarer---nay, endangered---breed, the theme song is also his favourite.
    He is not alone. :D I love that song; it is definitely among my very favourite Bond theme songs. {[] Loeff, I look forward to meeting your son; based on that, I must say he has very good taste. -{
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    SiCo wrote:

Where we draw the line is the use of multiple accounts by one person. I.e. Loeff signs up for Loeffelholz, tigger63 and jimmy45, then decides to have a conversation between himself, all the time pretending to be 3 completely different people.

{[]

I have a job finding time and trying to keep up with any discsussion by myself, never mind posing as 3 different people and talking amongst myself !
    Why anyone would want to have a conversation between themselves is beyond me anyway tbh. Unless there a schizophrenic of course.
    You'd thinkt hat but believe me it's happened!
    Simon
    edited January 2007
    ;%

All right, I've a stupid question at this point. My son has registered, but he put in an incorrect email address, which happens to belong to my brother, who has no doubt now received an email link to join AJB :(|)

Is there any way I can get his registered email changed so that we can activate his AJB account? I have now created an email address for him with my internet provider, but we can't go back in thru the registration process to fix it, because it says his username has already been taken---which it has, by him :s

Thanks ;% ;%
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Great job with quality control, Loeff! :))
    Hilly...you old devil!
    edited January 2007
    Great job with quality control, Loeff! :))

Thanks for noticing :p I was out of the room for a second, he plugged in the wrong email from a list I have posted nearby...

Anyway, we remain in a holding pattern...help from anyone would be sincerely appreciated {:)
    Just set up another account, with the new email you created for him. Maybe someone will remove his old one for you. But as there over 6000 members and only a fraction of those visit regularly. Doesn't look like they remove unused accounts.
    Loeff I have your PM and am changing it now. Please don't make a new account - I also urge others, if you make a mistake just contact me, don't create new accounts. This is how we end up with orphan accounts and about 2000000 non existant members :D
    Simon
    He's in there just fine. Thanks for the help {[]
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent

Ahhh, TMWTGG was my fav once upon a time, I do admit it.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Loeffs, my son also loves TMWTGG, he watched with a friend one day and they were very impressed with Britt Ekland, "she's hot".
    So, do I take the moral of this to be that if you love TMWTGG as a boy then you are likely to realise the error of your ways when you become an adult? :D
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    So, do I take the moral of this to be that if you love TMWTGG as a boy then you are likely to realise the error of your ways when you become an adult? :D
    Or perhaps they are simply using their sons as a shield. That it, they like TMWTGG but are too ashamed to admitt it. :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited February 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    Or perhaps they are simply using their sons as a shield. That it, they like TMWTGG but are too ashamed to admitt it. :))

If you look at My Favourites, I've listed TMWTGG as #13 overall since these lists were created---hardly a secret, I should think ;) ...so yes, I rather do enjoy it more than many people here...younger Roger is pretty much always better than older Roger, from my POV...
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    s96024 wrote:
    Why anyone would want to have a conversation between themselves is beyond me anyway tbh. Unless there a schizophrenic of course.

I've always been meaning to do that. ;%
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Whenever I do that, I always lose.