Eurovision 2007, Finland

2»

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,588Chief of Staff
    I was suprised at some of the countries/songs that didn't get through - I thought Belgium would have been a cert to qualify.
    YNWA 97
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    What an absolute joke this whole thing is now. Atleast we got some points. The Irish are good for something ;). I can't stand wogan's commentary either. We should just not take part ever again.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,588Chief of Staff
    s96024 wrote:
    I can't stand wogan's commentary either. We should just not take part ever again.

I love Wogan's commentary, I hope he continues on with this even after he has retired from his Radio 2 breakfast slot.

No suprise that Serbia won, it was strongly fancied to win. I must admit that I wanted the Ukraine entry to win though ;%
    The voting is a complete joke and I can't see the UK getting anywhere near the top 10 again, let alone win - unless the other countries run out of money !
    It was a great show from Finland - Serbia have got something to follow there.
    YNWA 97
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    The voting is a COMPLETE joke. Perhaps its time for an eastern Eurovision and a western one? "Old" Europe, if it gets through to the finals, languish at the bottom of the tables.

Scooch actually put on a very entertaining performance, but I was really quite surprised by Serbia's win... Wasn't impressed at all.

Ukraine was hilarious, that had my vote, but I did like Georgia! Not in a Eurovision way though, I just actually liked the song! :o

Sorry Ireland, but blarney filled ballads might have won in the 70s and 80s, but Europe has obviously had enough! :))

Belgrade in 2008 then.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Seriously ****ed off with this. The bottom of the table was basically the Big Four plus Lithuania, Sweden (the country that produced Abba) and Ireland (the country that has won more times than anyone). Why are we bothering to turn up now? I say pull out of it - it'll hurt, but I'd be interested to see what kind of show Serbia manage to rustle up without BBC money.

The voting was just embarrassing. I mean, Armenia in the top ten? Belarus? Bulgaria? Those were barely songs, never mind winners. For all their faults, Scooch turned up with a memorable song, performed well, and put on a show. I defy you to hum the Serbian song - it's utterly unmemorable.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Seriously ****ed off with this. The bottom of the table was basically the Big Four plus Lithuania, Sweden (the country that produced Abba) and Ireland (the country that has won more times than anyone). Why are we bothering to turn up now? I say pull out of it - it'll hurt, but I'd be interested to see what kind of show Serbia manage to rustle up without BBC money.

The voting was just embarrassing. I mean, Armenia in the top ten? Belarus? Bulgaria? Those were barely songs, never mind winners. For all their faults, Scooch turned up with a memorable song, performed well, and put on a show. I defy you to hum the Serbian song - it's utterly unmemorable.

I totally agree with you jsw. I was really annoyed when the show finished and was walking around saying we should quit ( after all, its the reason Italy don't participate anymore). It is totally dominated by the Eastern European countries and it is ruining the show. I think it was Slovenia who gave all their points to Eastern European countries.

Its not sour grapes but how can the likes of Denmark, Sweden and Belgium not get through to the final when their songs are so superior to some of the dreary stuff that was on last night?

'Flying The Flag' isn't the greatest song in the world but it was entertaining and more uplifting then some.

The show itself was very well done and very slick but I will comment on that after I calm down and have had some coffee. X-(
    edited May 2007
    I say pull out of it - it'll hurt, but I'd be interested to see what kind of show Serbia manage to rustle up without BBC money.
    We had the same discussion last night. If the UK, France and Germany decided to put in just as much money as the rest and make it a fair playing ground (as in, we'd all have to go to the semis first) then it'd be interesting just how much of a show some of these eastern European countries could put on. Any bets that most don't enter because of the fear of having to stage it?

But the voting was hysterical. The balance of voting has shifted past Warsaw now and it ain't coming back.

Israel, Denmark and Switzerland not even making it to the final was just shocking.

Oh, and did anyone spot the couple of drunk kilted Scotsmen right at the front of the crowd? :)) Waving a huge Saltire tied to a Union Jack. Wasn't me, honest. :D

Thing is, how many of them can you still hum? Other than Scooch (who've entered the UK charts at 5, by the way, last laugh for them) I've got the Ukranian entry and Georgia. That's about it.

At least we can rely on the old Commonwealth for our points, even though very unusually we didn't return the favour to Ireland this year! Not even the Northern Irish bothered to pick up their phones for that! :))
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited May 2007
    Malta's 12 points for the UK entry was "a protest".

The head of the Maltese contingent has complained about the block voting system, saying that he had received reports of how many points Malta would receive from some countries before the semi-finals had even taken place. He advocates the scrapping of tele-voting in the former Soviet-bloc countries as they're "being tampered with".

Apparently five or six other nations were angered on Saturday night, and they're considering lobbying the EBU to take action.

The 12 points awarded to the United Kingdom from Malta was a "protest" against voting for your neighbour.

Germany's Bild newspaper is also calling for the western European nations to scrap their funding, or simply withdraw from the contest.

(Edit: It's also made the House of Commons)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,280MI6 Agent
    It's as bad as when the Iranians seized our brave marines.

Send in the SAS, they can get our trophy back from Serbian hands. :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Why are people so bothered about the voting, it's been that way for ages. The competition is pretty much something you don't want to win anyway. If you win it's as if it's a vote for the worst song ever made.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    The voting is a bit of a joke, but come on, Eurovision hasn't exactly produced a large number of memorable songs. ;) I've neve been a big Eurovision fan, but the only winners I can name (well, kind of) are ABBA and the Israeli transsexual. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Um, you're Australian DS! The only thing camp about your country is Kylie, and she's an export! :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited May 2007
    Um, you're Australian DS! The only thing camp about your country is Kylie, and she's an export! :D
    You may be right. Although does Barry Humphries count?

Certainly, we are low on the camp ratio, which isn't such a bad thing. :v
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    You may be right. Although does Barry Humphries count?

Certainly, we are low on the camp ratio, which isn't such a bad thing. :v
    I could be completely wrong, but doesn't Sydney have the biggest gay parade in the world? I might be thinking of somewhere else, however I do recall seeing an item on the news about it.

Regarding Eurovision, I watched some of it and the voting. Good for a laugh, especially as most of the acts were just acid trips on stage. And what the hell was that woman in the green room? Bizarre.

One thing I've always found ridiculous is that the votes of Andorra have the same weighting as the votes of, say, Germany. Given the massive difference in population, the viewers in those small countries wield a hugely disproportionate influence on the result.

Given how rubbish we keep doing, perhaps we should indeed just stop participating for a few years and see how the event copes. Although didn't Italy do something similar?
    edited May 2007
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    Given how rubbish we keep doing, perhaps we should indeed just stop participating for a few years and see his the event copes.
    Hey, wee Alex and his SideNic want a separate Scottish entry (unsurprisingly). Maybe they could persuade Connery to don a spangly silver kilt and feather boa for us :))

But yep, Italy withdrew over the realisation that it would probably never win again. Apparently Monaco did the same this year (but did anyone miss them? ;) ). Azerbaijan and Slovakia were too late to register this year, or the block voting would have been even higher.
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited May 2007
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    I could be completely wrong, but doesn't Sydney have the biggest gay parade in the world? I might be thinking of somewhere else, however I do recall seeing an item on the news about it.
    True. Sydney is a particularly camp city, and it is no coincidence of course, that Kylie always features prominently in the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.

BTW, are there anybody here who truly takes Eurovision seriously? (I'm not knocking it. I'm just curious as to how people generally approach it.)
    Well what amuses me is that everyone on the board was being all ironic about it, then when all the Eastern European countries ganged up, the ironic facade was dropped and they all went indignant and John Bull, as if a donkey had been sacrificed on stage. :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Five words: Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

As for getting "John Bull", my indignation is not that Britain lost, but that the fight wasn't fair in the first place. Eurovision's crapness is part of its charm of course, and I gave the Ukraine high marks for being absolutely ridiculous. But that's the point: I gave it marks for the performance, not because it was next door. I also thought Georgia, Sweden and Germany were all fine songs.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a level playing field. If the UK never won again, I wouldn't complain (well, I probably would ;) ), so long as I thought the reason why we lost were valid. You will hear no defence from me for Jemini...

@merseytart
    edited May 2007
    As for getting "John Bull", my indignation is not that Britain lost, but that the fight wasn't fair in the first place. Eurovision's crapness is part of its charm of course, and I gave the Ukraine high marks for being absolutely ridiculous. But that's the point: I gave it marks for the performance, not because it was next door.

Agreed 100%.I also wouldn't care if we never won again but at the moment even if we had Barbra Streisand backed by the Three Tenors representing us we wouldn't win and thats what galls.

Serbia were rubbish. The Ukraine should have won for being so fabulously mad and stealing the show Thats what Eurovision is about not who you neighbour is.
    edited May 2007
    Echo jetset and LR.
    Dan Same wrote:
    but the only winners I can name (well, kind of) are ABBA and the Israeli transsexual. :D
    Bucks Fizz Making Your Mind Up and Gina G's Ooh Aah Just A Little Bit (she's one of yours, too) were huge hits here, and are still around. Far more so than Dana International in the UK at least. Though in saying that, while Gina G scored a huge hit across Europe, she didn't actually win...

Lulu and Celine Dion have both won, neither with particularly memorable songs though.
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited May 2007
    Lulu and Celine Dion have both won, neither with particularly memorable songs though.
    Of course, I should have remembered that Dion won at Eurovision. ;% But I hadn't realized that Lulu won (and then I looked it up on Wikepedia) until you mentioned it. Well, I guess I do know a few more Eurovision winners. ;)
    Lady Rose wrote:
    ...even if we had Barbra Streisand backed by the Three Tenors ...

Lady Rose, it's like you reached into my brain and pulled out the most hellacious musical combination ever. If you had Robbie Williams on backing vocals, Phil Collins on the drums and the rock stylings of Dire Straits running through the whole thing, you could lock me up in Guantanamo and use the track to torture me.

For next year's UK entry: I suggest Britney. She needs the exposure to get her back on the comeback trail, and when she doesn't win (which she won't), it'll show up how ludicrous the whole thing has got.

@merseytart
    Lady Rose wrote:
    ...even if we had Barbra Streisand backed by the Three Tenors ...

Lady Rose, it's like you reached into my brain and pulled out the most hellacious musical combination ever. If you had Robbie Williams on backing vocals, Phil Collins on the drums and the rock stylings of Dire Straits running through the whole thing, you could lock me up in Guantanamo and use the track to torture me.

For next year's UK entry: I suggest Britney. She needs the exposure to get her back on the comeback trail, and when she doesn't win (which she won't), it'll show up how ludicrous the whole thing has got.

Actually, I think we should have Chas n Dave representing us. At least we could have a good sing song if nothing else :))
    That's assuming that Britney is talented. ;) I would argue that it would be ludicrous if she does win. :D