James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Comments

• ak007ak007 LondonPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Did anyone catch this today?
    http://bbc.co.uk/i/f68l0/
    They try to sell the first 10 issues for a profit on ebay after buying them from a carboot sale.
    AllBonds-1.png
  • DokkDokk Posts: 382MI6 Agent
    ak007 wrote:
    Did anyone catch this today?
    http://bbc.co.uk/i/f68l0/
    They try to sell the first 10 issues for a profit on ebay after buying them from a carboot sale.

Yes! saw it they had no card base..he would have been better selling them individually
    Just got 66 and 67, cant really understand why the 'land rover lightweight' has a larger box, as it fits in the standard box with no problems.

Whilst i’m here, here is my collection so far....
    DSC07087-1-1-1.jpg
    AllBonds-1.png
  • FACTFACT Station ZPosts: 320MI6 Agent
    edited July 2009
    I see from ak007's collection photo that #67 is another model where the initial photos coming out of China on eBay showed the car going the wrong way on the diorama. When I first saw those photos I thought the Land Rover ought to be pointing in the direction of the Karachi road sign, and the "production" models indeed have it that way. We saw the same thing with the Ford Ka - kinda reinforces the idea that perhaps many of these early releases on ebay are actually factory rejects.

A member of the French forum has posted a new list showing the Daimler bumped up to #70, the Taunus & the Edge dropping a few places down the list, the Volga & the Matador falling away, & the Beach Buggy from FYEO joining at #81. Believe that if you will, I suppose.
    Here's that list from the French forum:

N°69: Aston Martin V8 Convertible ~ The Living Daylights
    N°70: Daimler Super 8 ~ Quantum of Solace
    N°71: Mini ~ On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    N°72: Audi 200 ~ The Living Daylights
    N°73: Alfa Romeo GTV6 ~ Octopussy
    N°74: VW Beetle ~ Quantum of Solace
    N°75: Ford Taunus ~ The Spy Who Loved Me
    N°76: Ford Ranchero ~ Goldfinger
    N°77: Checker Marathon Taxi ~ Live and Let Die
    N°78: Ford Edge ~ Quantum of Solace
    N°79: Mercedes sedan ~ On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    N°80: Aston Martin V8 (no sled) ~ The Living Daylights
    N°81: Beach Buggy ~ For Your Eyes Only
    N°82: Range Rover Convertible ~ Octopussy
    N°83: Ford Country Squire ~ Goldfinger
    N°84: Ford Bronco ~ Quantum of Solace
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,302MI6 Agent
    One missed opportunity is the OHMSS Aston Martin in the final scene, replete with garlands of flowers and bullet-holed windscreen. Maybe with the motorbike rider too.

Bearing in mind the scope of the series, there are a few real landscapes that could have been nicely knocked up, including the above with Merc, or Goldfinger viewing the artist's wares in Switzerland, overlooked by Bond and Tilly.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • spencer50spencer50 Just outside GrimsbyPosts: 111MI6 Agent
    So with the new French list, it seems we are back to guessing & hoping again.
    So are we now down to 84 models instead of 85?
    Has the Matador & the Volga really gone?

I'll wait to see what postie brings.
    spencer50 wrote:
    So with the new French list, it seems we are back to guessing & hoping again.

Would appear so. Why cant they just make a list and stick to it, rather than jumbling them around. I am some what wary of the French list as it does not seam to have any official source; it seams to be just speculation.
    AllBonds-1.png
  • 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    Just got issues 56 , 57 ,58 , 59 and 60 And another load of mags from the past cars so I have trebles Of the mags now and I got a few subscribe leaflets with them. And 2 of the folders to put your mags in now I have 4 of them folders.
    Looks great! cant wait
    AllBonds-1.png
    Kingsmodels pics:
    DSC08117.jpg

DSC08118.jpg

DSC08119.jpg

DSC08116.jpg

I think it does look really good.
    AllBonds-1.png
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited August 2009
    the boot of the Volante should look like this:

am011218.jpg
    DSC_4243_v8_volante.JPG

the boot lid is almost horizontal...

It seems to me, that they have simply cut off the roof from the V8 model (where the trunk lid is angled too steep) and planted the hood of the Volante
    DSCN0635_007_vantage.jpg
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:

am011218.jpg
    DSC_4243_v8_volante.JPG

It seems to me, that they have simply cut off the roof from the V8 model (where the trunk lid is angled too steep) and planted the hood of the Volante
    DSCN0635_007_vantage.jpg

Yeah, that model is awful. Shame, it's one of my favourite Astons.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    ssssshhhhhht.... critique it not allowed here... tomato.gif

Bondtoys wrote:

am011218.jpg

I think that it is intentional; I have to admit that this model is somewhat confusing. At the beginning of the film, the car is a V8 Vantage Volante (convertible), complete with Vantage badges. The car used in these scenes was a preproduction Vantage Volante owned by Aston Martin Lagonda chairman. Later, the car is fitted with a hardtop ("winterised") at Q Branch, and these scenes feature a pair of non-Vantage V8 saloons, fitted with the same number plate and Vantage badges as the initial car. Clearly, the later cars are intended to be the same Volante.

I think that the back is supposed to be like this so that the roof can be added on (winterised). I Believe that the Volante that was used in the film (the pre-production one) had a backend like our model as the plans were not final, In the same way that the DBS in CR is not the same to QoS as it was still in pre-production. Hopefully the Mag will shed more light on the subject.
    AllBonds-1.png
    edited August 2009
    that doesn't make much sense to me.
    We see the Volante Convertible as 007s first car in the movie. Even if you are correct, that it has been a preproduction car, you can see, that the trunk lid is almost flat in the movie.

The car is then later "winterized", but we all know, that they have used a different car - the V8 Vantage Coupe - with a fixed roof for these scenes.

Your theory, that it's intentional would be correct, if the Volante Convertible from the movie had a steep trunk, but it hasn't.
    So, I tend to the theory, that the modelmakers where making it very easy by using an existing model and chopped off the roof - inaccurate but cost-efficient.

Another thing leads to this theory: Beneath the bumper, there is not enough "meat" bodywork on the Volante model. This is very likely to the fact that they left out the booster rocket exhaust without replacement , which can be seen on the earlier TLD Coupe model.

Edit:
    To my informations, the Volante model has been introduced in 1978 - long time before TLD has been shot. So, I doubt, that it has been a preproduction model in the sense, that the bodywork substancially has not been finished.

The question now is, what will the No80 Aston look like?
    Convertible? With or without the correct tail? I certainly hope not!
    I must admit that Bondtoys is correct, the model is a cheap cost cutting idea, to string the collection out I think. The rear has clearly been "lopped off". (Some one will have to dismantle it to peek under the folded down hood!)
    FYI, Minichamps & SMTS make a nice 1:43 Aston Martin V8 Volante. (But not at UH prices! - So a small price to pay I think)

We must remember, we seem to all be die hard Aston Martin Fans 1st, (I am!) & model collectors 2nd. Where I think UH have aimed this at a "not so critical" market! I should think there are mistakes on other models that I wouldn't notice or really care about.
    You pay your money, you take your choice! 8-)
    It would appear that you are 100% correct ;% , I have just re-watched the scene in question and the volante does seam to have the flat boot after all, sorry! They must be just cutting corners after all! :(
    I think that that is despicable of them to make such a majorly incorrect model.
    Does anyone remember this cardboard container from the first issue?
    DSC07095-1.jpg
    "Every detail of bodywork perfectly reproduced"
    This is clearly a breach of false adverting laws!
    It might even be worth a letter of complaint to them.
    I absolutely love this collection, as I have no doubt said before!
    But the more I think about it, the more I think that I wouldn’t have started this collection if I had known that it would last this long. Don’t get me wrong there are still a lot of cars in the up coming list that I am looking forward to but… well I had to persuade myself at the start of the collection that I had enough room and money for 40 issues. Had I known then as I do know that it would last 85 (possible more) issues, then I am sure I would not have collected the whole set. It’s been 3 years and there still isn’t really and end in sight.
    Although there are still some cars that I would like them to make in this series, I really hope that 85 is the end, for all are sakes! Its getting stupid
    AllBonds-1.png
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    When I borrowed the The Living Daylights Aston Martin "show car" Vantage some years ago, an Aston Martin dealer had a good look over it and proclaimed that it was probably an "Oscar India" - which means a lot to Aston Martin owners but went right over my head.
    MH, did you actually DRIVE the TLD showcar :o
    Oscar India equals to the 4th series of the V8 with the bonnet having now the closed powerdome and a subtile rear end spoiler.

I agree, that this collection is over its zenith. We have had many great cars, which 007 collectors have been waiting for a long time. About Villain's cars, I am a bit indecisive. But the other hand, we had unnecessary models like the TND Range Rover or the Maserati Biturbo, not to mention the ZAZ 965....
    But I have to admit, that I have been very pleased, how well they did the TucTuc and the corresponding diorama.

All in all: Great collection, too many cars, some models have their weaknesses but still an extreme good value for the money. And I am very much waiting for the Octopussy Range Rover with the horse trailer.

• Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    MH, did you actually DRIVE the TLD showcar :o
    Oscar India equals to the 4th series of the V8 with the bonnet having now the closed powerdome and a subtile rear end spoiler.

Thanks for that, he never really did explain.

As to driving the car - Yes - but only in a figure of eight to manoeuvre it for the press photos, it was a cow to drive and I found out why later, not enough perssure in the tyres. And contrary to what you see when TD exits the shed on the ice, this one was an automatic.

The only picture of me driving it:
    76678869.th.jpg
    The first pics from a Chinese ebay seller of the Daimler Super Eight diorama (issue #70) are available on this auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370243960975

A rather bland diorama, unfortunately...
    The first pics from a Chinese ebay seller of the Austin Mini ice racer's diorama (issue #71) from OHMSS are available on this auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370243961804

Another rather bland diorama. Interestingly this car has Corgi sponsor decals on it - on the Mercury Cougar's diorama this sponsor's banner in the background was changed to "Husky" with a husky dog logo instead of the corgi dog!
    As you say, a bit bland. I cant help thinking that if the Daimler just had a driver sitting inside, it would be so much better.
    The mini i like as i am somewhat of a mini fan. It is very interesting that it say corgi harther that 'Husky'. They are effectively advertising corgi then? strange. for some reason they have put the corgi logo on the roof of the mini as well.
    AllBonds-1.png
  • rhinomanrhinoman Lancashire, UKPosts: 67MI6 Agent
    Hi guys, I am really glad I found this forum thread this morning! I had been under the impression the JBC collection was extended up to 80 car models, but I was wrong clearly and it's (currently reported) to be 85.

Which is vital info for me, as I have just bought a load of materials with a view to making a display cabinet which was going to be 12 shelves high, 7 cars wide! Oops :o ... I nearly made it too small! So my new design now is 13 shelves x 7 cars, which will accommodate 85 models + 3 free gifts + 1 corgi Goldfinger RR + 1 Minichamps DBS.

Unless of course, you know different ... and not forgetting slightly higher shelf position for the few higher style display cases.

Regards to all,
    rhinoman B-)
    One further question ... does anyone have any idea why the collection doesn't feature the vintage black and yellow Rolls Royce from 'Goldfinger' - is it a copyright issue or something like that? It would seem to be an obvious candidate for inclusion and I've been waiting for ages for this model to appear in the series ... but having looked at the full list it doesn't feature at all.
    It would have been a really good diorama out front of the manor house.
    According to my Corgi 1:36 model box blurb it's a Rolls Royce III Sedance de Ville (includes an OddJob figure in a hat throwing pose).
    Cheers, rhinoman B-)
    Hi & welcome rhinoman.

Further back in this thread, we covered this topic, and we all came to the conclusion its a copyright problem with Rolls Royce. Its a shame as there are quite a few Rollers in the films.
    (We at least got the Bentley, that I'm glad about)
    We also are 98% sure the collection is to 85 cars only as the license will run out.
    Hope that brings you up to speed. :D
    Thanks spencer50,
    I did run a search or two but didn't find anything previous - I did think it was odd it hadn't been mentioned before, maybe my search criteria was a bit dodgy.
    Thanks again for the update,
    rhinoman B-)