DAD wtf?!?

13»

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,708MI6 Agent
    Two things TSWLM and Moonraker offer audiences are gorgeous and exotic locations--who doesn't want to see Sardinia and Rio?I know i do.And those sequences were actually filmed on location.Compare them to Graves' Ice Palace.Portions of it may really have been made of ice,but it still looks cheap nonetheless,almost like an advanced form of styrofoam.DAD isn't colorful enough.If Eon wanted to emulate the big productions of the past, then they probably should've found a few more colorful locales in which to set their story.

Damned straight- it's a point I make often about DAD, but it still amazes me: not one member of the principal cast was filmed in any of the locations the film was set in (apart from London; but as a British film that's not much of a stretch!). Korea, Hong Kong, Cuba, Iceland... yup- we didn't see Pierce Brosnan standing in any of them. Spain was a reasonable compromise (although the Dominican Republic as used in Auf Wiedersen Pet is a much better stand-in), but it was hardly exotic stuff.
    Iceland could have been great and is a lovely idea- but we didn't see any of it!
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Ah, DAD...

Its kinda crap, isn't it? But then its a Bond film, and I love those...

:(|)
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    I agree, its a Bond film, its crap but I still can enjoy it.

The thing that is ok for this film is it did well at the box office.

Films like Licence to Kill, AVTAK and TMWTGG are more embarrasing because they didnt make the money.

I find DAD embarrasing but not to the extent of the ones I mentioned above.

We shouldnt blame the director either, I would put it down to Babs and Wilson, who really are the ones in control, they let it happen.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Also, Bond and Moneypenny are close, but they're not that close! I don't care that it was merely a simulation, it shouldn't happen. Despite Moneypenny being disappointed that she's never had James, she always kept their relationship semi-professional. The Bond-Moneypenny kiss transcended that boundary, and I thought it was totally unacceptable.
    I hated that scene. :# DAD introduced two love scenes which are still giving me nightmares; the sex scene with Jinx and the VR scene. Those two scenes would have made for a great horror film. :s :)) (I disliked the CR scene for the reasons that you mentioned. I disliked the sex scene with Jinx, because they took a really beautiful woman and made the idea of sleeping with her really unattractive to me. :#)
    And what the hell is with Bond being captured for 14 months? What happened to the ingenious James Bond who always had escape plans A through to Z, always with a gadget that somebody failed to detect? The hero of the film is being made to look weak and incompetent. Sure, Bond isn't meant to be perfect, and he does have some weak points, but incompetence isn't one of them. At the point when Bond was released, I was thinking, if they're going to kill him, just get it over and done with. James Bond being captured, has lost all integrity, all dignity, they may as well finish him off. I have no idea what the writers were thinking when they scripted that one.
    I completely agree. I really disliked that Bond was captured in the first place, but if he had to be, then I think he should have escaped. Which would have made for a really interesting film; Bond, presumed dead, goes after the man who captured him, who it turns out has a plan to destroy the world.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Also, Bond and Moneypenny are close, but they're not that close! I don't care that it was merely a simulation, it shouldn't happen. Despite Moneypenny being disappointed that she's never had James, she always kept their relationship semi-professional. The Bond-Moneypenny kiss transcended that boundary, and I thought it was totally unacceptable.
    I hated that scene. :# DAD introduced two love scenes which are still giving me nightmares; the sex scene with Jinx and the VR scene. Those two scenes would have made for a great horror film. :s :)) (I disliked the CR scene for the reasons that you mentioned. I disliked the sex scene with Jinx, because they took a really beautiful woman and made the idea of sleeping with her really unattractive to me. :#)

I actually liked the VR scene. Although I agree that Bond and Moneypenny should never be, I do believe that Miss Moneypenny has always had a secret crush on 007. That said, the VR scene did a great job of portraying this idea, and best of all it was VR, so the said scene did not actually take place. The VR is actually a highlight of DAD IMO.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    all this talk of DAD makes me want to find it and watch it again...

I agree with i_expect_u2_die...it's a bond film, and I love those...{[]

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,708MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:
    I actually liked the VR scene. Although I agree that Bond and Moneypenny should never be, I do believe that Miss Moneypenny has always had a secret crush on 007. That said, the VR scene did a great job of portraying this idea, and best of all it was VR, so the said scene did not actually take place. The VR is actually a highlight of DAD IMO.

Yeah I think it's pretty funny too. Got a big laugh in the cinema and that's all you need, really. Nice to see them move the relationship on a bit (and see that under all that bluster Samantha's Penny was the same Penny from the early movies! :) ). I was actually a bit annoyed that those pestering script extracts all the Bond fansites ran spoiled this scene - of course it's my own fault for reading them! :D
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Gotta admit, I kinda liked it...after long last, Moneypenny gets her Bond on. Crude, but in a way apt too.
  • Gustave_GravesGustave_Graves Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    In all honesty, that film was a mess, but I watched it over 30 times because this was Brosnan's last
    Bond film. It was my way of commemorating him. The novel on the other hand, was a pretty good read