Why no honour for Dalton?

I've been reading a great deal about the Bond actors recently and I was pretty suprised to learn that Connery, Moore and Brosnan all had honours from the Queen but that Timothy Dalton does not. I find it completely unbelievable that Dalton has not yet recieved any recogintion in regards to his services to acting etc and indeed to charity because he has given a great deal of money in aid of the British theatre and was a key actor in the campaign to save the Rose. Such a great actor deserves some recognition, shame really - or does he actually have one? Anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers....B-)

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I would say the 3 you mention are alot better known and established actors over a long time. If you give Dalton an honour, you'd have to give every tom, dick and harry one. :s
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Dalton is not considered a successful Bond with the general public (and lets face it, if you were to ask casual fans who they see when Bond is mentioned the Big Three of Sean, Roger and Pierce are the answers given).

Lazenby and Dalton are the cult Bonds, the 007 ugly ducklings that left 3 films that are increasingly gaining affection and respect. (Include me in)

Perhaps my answer seems too crass, cassidybond. But the world sometimes honours those that succeed much more than those that do not.

Take solace in the fact that Dalton has achieved a piece of immortality as the moodiest, meanest and most Fleming-like 007. The only 007 who DARED you to dislike him.

That is cool.

"Yes...I got the message."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    bigzilcho wrote:
    Take solace in the fact that Dalton has achieved a piece of immortality as the moodiest, meanest and most Fleming-like 007. The only 007 who DARED you to dislike him.

I agree with you, BZ, but I daresay that Mr. Craig is giving Tim a run for his money in this regard...albeit buoyed by thunderous success in his first outing...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    I agree, Loeff, Craig will challenge Dalton in the moodiness department.

But the difference, I feel, is subtle and distinct.

Dalton deliberately went against the grain of the Roger years without making any concessions to the audience.
    "You want Bond? I'm going to give you Fleming's Bond."

Craig captures the ice-cold detachment of Bond better than anybody.

Whereas Dalton seemed internally conficted, Craig plays 007 as if he is a man who has nothing internal that will conflict.

Just as Dalton was unique, no other 007 dared to do what Craig did. Make a "blunt instrument" Bond that was more than a little cold around the heart. Sometimes its...frozen.

Is it just me, Loeff, but comparing the Bonds actually seems to enrich the performances in hindsight.

The secret success of the series is that there is a Bond for every taste.

It could automatically "re-boot" decades before there was even such a word.

Was Cubby lucky or a genius?

"Correct. You should have brought lilies."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    bigzilcho wrote:
    Whereas Dalton seemed internally conficted, Craig plays 007 as if he is a man who has nothing internal that will conflict.

This is certainly true as far as CR goes...but I predict that, post-Vesper, the weave of Craig-Bond's tapestry will become a bit more complex...particularly if one Hannes Oberhauser is added to the mix at some point...
    bigzilcho wrote:
    Just as Dalton was unique, no other 007 dared to do what Craig did. Make a "blunt instrument" Bond that was more than a little cold around the heart. Sometimes its...frozen.

Indeed. Very refreshing B-) Still, I'd keep an eye out for manifestations of internal conflict in the future... :v
    bigzilcho wrote:
    Is it just me, Loeff, but comparing the Bonds actually seems to enrich the performances in hindsight.

The secret success of the series is that there is a Bond for every taste.

No doubt about it.
    bigzilcho wrote:
    Was Cubby lucky or a genius?

I'd say, as with many successful people, it's a serendipitous blend of the two...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Connery, Moore and Brosnan are all much bigger stars which huge success in and out of bond. Obviously some people will not agree but they have done more for film than Dalton in the majority of peoples eyes.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Why not just knight all the Bond actors then everyone's dandy!! :D

As for Dalton not recieving any recognition, it's scandalous! This established actor has years of acting under his belt and has been in a few popular series, Jane Eyre etc.... so why not?

Lazenby.....well he's not made that many films, so perhaps maybe he shouldn't?
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    s96024 wrote:
    If you give Dalton an honour, you'd have to give every tom, dick and harry one. :s
    Considering the Blair government dishes out honours like sweeties (in a "stop me and buy one" stylee), I'd say that's already happening...
    unitedkingdom.png
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Why no honour for Dalton? Simple. He hasn't given 100 grand to the Labour party...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Sean Connery, Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan all have a much higher profile than Timothy Dalton. A much higher profile as actors, a much higher profile with the media and the general public. Why should that be? Dalton has always had the ability (and the looks) that should have given him an equally high profile. Personally, I think Dalton deliberately chose a different career path than the others. He's been practically invisible to the general public (in the UK) since he left Bond. It's only now with his appearance in Hot Fuzz that he's getting noticed again.
    Why not just knight all the Bond actors then everyone's dandy!! :D

As for Dalton not recieving any recognition, it's scandalous! This established actor has years of acting under his belt and has been in a few popular series, Jane Eyre etc.... so why not?

Lazenby.....well he's not made that many films, so perhaps maybe he shouldn't?

He may be quite succesful. But you can't say he is in the same league as the others.
    They are a bit of a joke sometimes. But it's all down to opinion on whether people deserve them or not. People will always agree with some and disagree with others.
    Why no honour for Dalton? Simple. He hasn't given 100 grand to the Labour party...

And you think the the others have?
    Sean Connery, Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan all have a much higher profile than Timothy Dalton. A much higher profile as actors, a much higher profile with the media and the general public. Why should that be? Dalton has always had the ability (and the looks) that should have given him an equally high profile. Personally, I think Dalton deliberately chose a different career path than the others. He's been practically invisible to the general public (in the UK) since he left Bond. It's only now with his appearance in Hot Fuzz that he's getting noticed again.

Exactly if you are not a fan of Bond. You would more than likely not even hae heard of Dalton. Yet Moore, Connery and Brosnan are alot wider known and for alot more roles. Especially the latter 2. Hot Fuzz was one of those massively publicised films you get every now and then with the huge hype. Usually the low budget flicks. Although Dalton gave a good performance and deserved the publicity, I don't think the film did.
    s96024 wrote:
    Perhaps the whole Lord Levy, Cash For Honours scandal has passed you by. Tony Blair was questioned by the Metropolitan Police about it and one of his aides was arrested. All prompted by a complaint from the Scottish National Party too, so it turns out they've been good for something after all...
    unitedkingdom.png
    s96024 wrote:
    Perhaps the whole Lord Levy, Cash For Honours scandal has passed you by. Tony Blair was questioned by the Metropolitan Police about it and one of his aides was arrested. All prompted by a complaint from the Scottish National Party too, so it turns out they've been good for something after all...

Of coure I know about it, it's on the news and in the papers constantly. I mean't the other bond actors not other people in general.
    edited March 2007
    s96024 wrote:
    Of coure I know about it, it's on the news and in the papers constantly. I mean't the other bond actors not other people in general.
    Well understand the sarcasm then, obviously that's flown over your head. Meant to be a satirical joke (heard of those?) based on what's been going on.
    unitedkingdom.png
    This is why I need to put :) or ;) or :D or :)) after my posts.

:))

8-)

@merseytart
    s96024 wrote:
    Well understand the sarcasm then, obviously that's flown over your head. Meant to be a satirical joke (heard of those?) based on what's been going on.

Explain the sarcasm please and try to be a little less patronising when doing it.
  • cassidybondcassidybond Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    In terms of acting ability Dalton is a far greater actor in terms of ability than Brosnan. I am yet to see a Dalton movie in which his performance was poor. He may not have been everyone's cup of tea in regards to Bond but he is an immensely talented actor whose been overlooked which is a great shame. The pity about Dalton is the fact that he never really fulfilled his potential in the eyes of most. Its interesting that a few replies mentioned Dalton's lack of popularity or appeal next to Brosnan, Moore and Connery because Dalton has always shunned the media spotlight because he seem's like an extremely private person not willing to exploit his position to gain recognition.

I mean, Dalton was nominated for a BAFTA for Mary Queen of Scots - according to Elbert - and put in an amazing performance as Phillip II in the Lion in Winter early in his career when he was very young but he shunned the publicity and rejected interview requests because he, as he has since admitted, was afraid of revealing anythinf about himself. He even shunned making movies at the age of 23 even though he was getting parts with actors the likes of O'Toole, Hepburn, Guiness, Harris and so forth. He always seemed to be insecure of himself somehow and the fact that he has consistently evaded publicity intentionaly is interesting whereas the likes of Brosnan etc clearly took their opportunities and as such widened their appeal.

Anyway I think he deserves an honour...:))
    s96024 wrote:
    Explain the sarcasm please and try to be a little less patronising when doing it.

I'll explain it, since it was my joke. The question is, why no honour for Dalton? I thought that, given the whole cash for honours scandal, the idea of receiving any honour from this Government had been tainted by the implication that it was in some way purchased. I therefore made a sarcastic reference to the scandal and assumed that it would be taken as lightly as it was intended. It was not, as you seem to have perceived, intended as some sort of libellous accusation that Sir Sean and Sir Roger turned up at number 10 with a paper bag full of used fivers and requested something with a medal.

Now that's cleared up, we can all move along quietly and return to the topic in hand. Thank you.

@merseytart
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    bigzilcho wrote:

I agree with you, BZ, but I daresay that Mr. Craig is giving Tim a run for his money in this regard...albeit buoyed by thunderous success in his first outing...

I think bigzilcho hit on it, Dalton dared people to dislike him and he was pretty unapologetic about it...and it worked for me at least to evoke the literary Bond, the non-conforming "outsider." Despite the "blunt instrument" approach and all, Craig does come through as wanting to please with his performance as a likeable "blunt instrument," though that's to be expected.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Hmmm, I'd say just the opposite in fact: Dalton comes across as far more needing-to-please, whereas Craig has a much more defined I-don't-give-a-damn quality. Perhaps it's the scripts, though.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited March 2007
    A primary difference between the two, though, is now it's considered 'cool' to have that devil may care attitude and to 'stick it to the Man'. The anti-hero is fashionable right now. After years of Roger Moore, Dalton's anti-hero approach was a bit more daring, IMO.
    edited March 2007
    blueman wrote:
    Hmmm, I'd say just the opposite in fact: Dalton comes across as far more needing-to-please, whereas Craig has a much more defined I-don't-give-a-damn quality. Perhaps it's the scripts, though.

It's definitely in the scripts, just telling by the Hollywood "hero code" that's been in place right up to before CR. What I meant is more of the impression given by the deliveries. Dalton, like Craig, indeed used contrast with his predecessor, though Dalton comes across saying, "yeah, so?" Whereas Craig seemed often too self-aware and sometimes vain in wanting to attract or draw attention to his rendition of his character.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Guess I didn't see much anti-hero in Dalton's Bond. A little I guess, in comparison to Moore. But he still came across as a sometimes dark/sometimes goofy Errol Flynn to me. Different strokes. Moore had as much if not more darker moments, just looking at TMWTGG and TSWLM (and sillier moments too, sure). IMHO. Maybe it was Moore convinced me in a way Dalton didn't, for whatever reason. Again, different strokes.
    superado wrote:
    blueman wrote:

It's definitely in the scripts, just telling by the Hollywood "hero code" that's been in place right up to before CR. What I meant is more of the impression given by the deliveries. Dalton, like Craig, indeed used contrast with his predecessor, though Dalton comes across saying, "yeah, so?" Whereas Craig seemed often too self-aware and sometimes vain in wanting to attract or draw attention to his rendition of his character.

Guess you're seeing things I'm not. Oh well.
    blueman wrote:
    Guess I didn't see much anti-hero in Dalton's Bond. A little I guess, in comparison to Moore. But he still came across as a sometimes dark/sometimes goofy Errol Flynn to me. Different strokes.

That's the stage training showing through, which IMO was not necessarily an asset for him while doing Bond, like how Lawrence Olivier might have done it. I didn't think Dalton was anywhere near perfect. Some of his emoting could have been more subtle, but he might have been too hard coded to appeal to someone in the 5th row. Though, to be fair in using this analogy, IMO no one has yet done Bond like how a DeNiro would have approached it ala Scorsese, and that would be something special to see...for me at least.
    blueman wrote:
    superado wrote:
    blueman wrote:

Yep, I try to see things as they are, warts and all. No one Bond actor was ever "perfect," I'm sure you'd agree though I'm begining to think you might have an exception.
    superado wrote:
    blueman wrote:
    superado wrote:

Yep, I try to see things as they are, warts and all. No one Bond actor was ever "perfect," I'm sure you'd agree though I'm begining to think you might have an exception.

Yep: Connery. :D