Why no honour for Dalton?

2»

Comments

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    superado wrote:
    blueman wrote:

Guess you're seeing things I'm not. Oh well.

Yep, I try to see things as they are, warts and all. No one Bond actor was ever "perfect," I'm sure you'd agree though I'm begining to think you might have an exception.

Yep: Connery. :D

Damned if I'd disagree :))
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Why no honour for Dalton? Simple. He hasn't given 100 grand to the Labour party...

You hit the nail on the head.

To hell with Labour! Send the bolsheviks back to Stalingrad!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent

I think I can guess your political affiliation. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:

Not as easily as you think.

I'm what you would call a classical liberal, which people today would call a libertarian. My ideology is in the mold of Adam Smith, FA Hayek, and other economists and thinkers of this line. I support free markets with very limted government intervention in the economy, and I believe the government has no business in people's personal lives. This is opposed to a social liberal, which is one who supports significant centralization of economic decision making for the purpose of the redistribution of wealth while supporting small government intervention in people's personal lives. This is what people consider synonymous with "liberal," these days, and they do so mistakenly: anyone who supports freedom in some form is a liberal.

That being said, my ideal would be for libertarian/classical liberal parties (Libertarian Party in the US, Liberal Democratic Party in Australia) to gain power around the world. In the US, of course, the libertarian parties will likely never gain hold in my lifetime because of a) the incompetence of party leadership, and their insistence on positions like the complete privatization of education and the significant reduction of the size of the military (both of which are dumb stances both in terms of policy effectiveness and political implications), and b) the fact that most Americans (especially politicians and moron labour unions) are too stupid to understand economics and how it works. There isn't really a libertarian party in the UK, so a) doesn't really apply to the lack of a libertarian movement in that country, but b) certainly does in a huge way. So right now, I am confined to being a highly disastified supporter of liberal-conservative parties: Republican in the US, Conservative in the UK, and Liberal in Australia. Probably the most enjoyment I get out of this affiliation is trashing the idiotic ideas on economic policy of the social liberal parties (although the ones being proposed by most liberal conservative parties aren't much better) and hurling childish insults at the social liberal parties, per today's political environment.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Dan Same wrote:

And I can agree with it {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • markdownmarkdown Posts: 47MI6 Agent
    s96024 wrote:
    I would say the 3 you mention are alot better known and established actors over a long time. If you give Dalton an honour, you'd have to give every tom, dick and harry one. :s
    moore recieved his honour mainly for all his sterling charity work over many years. connery is obviously a legend of the british cinema and therefore was recognised for that status. brosnan was given whatever honour he holds by a government that hands out baubles to anyone who is in vogue at that time ( hence the england cricket team getting them for winning the ashes) it cannot be as you suggest because he is a more established actor/success than dalton. had the blair government been around when dalton was bond then no doubt he would have also been honoured.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    He cannot be honored by the Queen for that?
    Although The Queen bestows the honour, she does not choose who is honoured. The government of the day do that, and that's currently the Labour government under the leadership of Tony Blair (for the next month or so at least).
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    s96024 wrote:
    If you give Dalton an honour, you'd have to give every tom, dick and harry one. :s

Every Tom, Dick and Harry is getting one!

I have never had much time for the honours system. I can understand receiving an honour for outstanding charity work or for contributing to great discoveries in the medical or scientific fields etc but receiving an honour for making movies/records, being a huge sucess and earning millions always seemed a little odd to me.

This has been confirmed with this present government who really like to bestow honours on just about anyone in the public eye. You only have to look at some of the most ridiculous honours in recent years.

As for Tim Dalton, I dont think he would expect or accept one.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I wonder if there are stats out there on knighthoods given throughout the centuries, down to the year, if they've increased/decreased, remained constant, etc., and what grounds they've been given under. When did the arts begin receiving this recognition? Before that point, were these knighthoods granted mostly for military service? For personal patronage from royalty? Social service?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    As for Tim Dalton, I dont think he would expect or accept one.
    Indeed, he may have already refused one for all we know. Some make their refusal public, on political grounds or just not in keeping with their image, but I'd imagine hte vast majority keep theirs private. There was a leaked list a few years back if I remember, that included David Bowie, Honor Blackman and Nigella Lawson among others.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Honor was recently interviewed in the Guardian, and she was confirmed that not only did she turn it down, but that she is a campaigner for an elected head of state.

It should be noted that Dalton pretty much suspended his theatre career around the time of the Bonds; his return in His Dark Materials was partly a media event in itself. Since then he's appeared in what one can charitably say are films and tv movies which are not quite up to his talents (yes, Beautician and the Beast, we mean you). It's ironic that Bond brought the spotlight upon him, and attracted people's attention - and then he was saddled with a load of bad performances in mediocre projects (now we're talking about you, Scarlett). Also (though I am not 100% about this) I believe he lives in the USA now, and that tends to blot his copybook - one can make an awful lot of money off the Americans, but living among them is a step too far ;). I should imagine he will probably get an OBE/MBE in a few years time, quietly tucked away somewhere.

And btw, I should just point out that while Sean and Rog have knighthoods, Pierce only has an honourary OBE; and as Michael Winner said when he turned his down An OBE is what you get if you clean the toilets well at King's Cross Station.

Besides, one should be careful where one goes with this "completist" path. After George Harrison died, one Liverpool MP suggested that he be awarded a posthumous knighthood. Of course this brings up the spectre that if you give George and (presumably) John posthumous ones, bleeding Ringo will have to have one as well to complete the set. And lovely though I'm sure he is, I don't think we're ready for Sir George Lazenby yet... :D
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    Besides, one should be careful where one goes with this "completist" path. After George Harrison died, one Liverpool MP suggested that he be awarded a posthumous knighthood. Of course this brings up the spectre that if you give George and (presumably) John posthumous ones, bleeding Ringo will have to have one as well to complete the set. And lovely though I'm sure he is, I don't think we're ready for Sir George Lazenby yet... :D
    I'm a George fan, so while I'm not too fussed if John were to be knighted, I would love it if George were to be. But, yes, certainly Ringo should never be knighted. As for Lazenby, I'm still waiting for Sir Pierce Brosnan. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Do they knight Australians?

Yes. All Commonwealth citizens are eligible and Australia is a member of the Commonwealth. Pierce Brosnan however would have to recieve an honorary knighthood.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:

Yes. All Commonwealth citizens are eligible and Australia is a member of the Commonwealth. Pierce Brosnan however would have to recieve an honorary knighthood.

That's true.Pierce Brosnan's never been a citizen of the British Commonwealth--having been born in Southern Ireland.Furthermore,Brosnan now holds dual citizenship,being not only Irish, but also an American as well.This is why his OBE was honorary.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I don't know about that. Australians are no longer eligable for OBEs so I can't imagine they would still be eligable for knighthoods. ?:)
    I did a quick bit of research and it appears that Australia stopped awarding knighthoods in 1986 and put in place a new hounours system based around the Order of Australia. I was watching the cricket the other night and the guest (West Indian great) Viv Richards was introduced as Sir Viv Richards. I assumed that all Commonwealth citizens could qualify for knighthoods but it appears that some individual countries have done their own thing. It means of course that, sadly, we'll never have a Sir Dan Same but I fully expect to be recognised myself one day -{
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    Yeah, and I'm sure one of these days we'll have a "Sir Daniel Craig", which should really be entertaining to witness among the CNB crowd...
    DAWUSS wrote:
    Yeah, and I'm sure one of these days we'll have a "Sir Daniel Craig", which should really be entertaining to witness among the CNB crowd...

Unless he turns down such an award, which isn't inconcievable.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    I did a quick bit of research and it appears that Australia stopped awarding knighthoods in 1986 and put in place a new hounours system based around the Order of Australia. I was watching the cricket the other night and the guest (West Indian great) Viv Richards was introduced as Sir Viv Richards. I assumed that all Commonwealth citizens could qualify for knighthoods but it appears that some individual countries have done their own thing. It means of course that, sadly, we'll never have a Sir Dan Same but I fully expect to be recognised myself one day -{

I thought it was down to the country on whether the person was allowed to accpet an honorary knighthood. Bill gates has one. :s
    According to an article I found:

"Honorary decorations and awards are occasionally granted to people from other countries who have made a significant contribution to relations between the United Kingdom and their own country." Other foreign recipients are former US Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, Chancellor Kohl, President Mitterrand and Mayor Giuliani of New York, Presidents Reagan and Bush (senior), Wesley Clark, Bob Geldof, Rudolph Giuliani, Billy Graham, Alan Greenspan, Bob Hope, Steven Spielberg, and Jean Paul Getty Jr"
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I despise Bob Geldof getting one. Atleast he can't use the title Sir. All though many use it when referring to him.
    No honorary decoration for Chuck Norris yet. It can only be a matter of time.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    No honorary decoration for Chuck Norris yet. It can only be a matter of time.

For services to kicking people in the face, Arise Sir Chuck Norris. :)) As for Dalton, well it wouldn't surprise me if he got an OBE some time soon. I think a knightood is out of reach though. They tend to go to the theatricals, (McKellen, Jacobi) or our biggest film stars (Caine, Connery). Much as I like his Bond, and 'The Rocketeer,' it's not quite enough.