thunderball or for your eyes only

cosmocosmo Posts: 52MI6 Agent
i have nine bond movies on dvd and have decided to buy another one each month until i have the full set.
last month i'd made my mind up to get thunderball,but when i got to the shop i saw the cover of diamonds are forever and spent an age deciding which to get.i ended up getting daf.
next week i'm getting tb or fyeo.anyway to save me standing in the shop for ten minutes looking like an idiot trying to decide, perhaps some of you wonderful people could let me know which one you think i should get between the two.i'll get the one that has the most votes at the end of the week.

Comments

• Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Personally I would go for, For Your Eyes Only.

No particular reason other than it seems more.....gripping!

But chief it really is up to you!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,335Chief of Staff
    edited April 2007
    TB without a doubt; classic 007. It's got Sean Connery (without the tiredness he displays in YOLT; prowling like a panther with total confidence through each scene- note how many scenes simply feature him walking across a room; one-liners flowing effortlessly from his lips without the quotation marks later Bonds sometimes appear to supply), perhaps the sexiest lineup of females in any Bond movie (Claudine Auger in THAT swimsuit; Luciana Paluzzi in, well, ANYTHING but particularly when 007 finds her in his bathroom; Martine Beswick underused but still prominent; and last but not least Molly Peters as everyone's favourite physiotherapist); one of John Barry's top scores (see music forum for me rambling on about it in detail); and stunningly beautiful photography.
    In another thread, Lazenby put these and several other points very well in TB's favour.

FYEO isn't by any means a clinker; Roger Moore gives arguably his best 007 performance (less jokey than usual) and the plot has more human interest than was common for that period- but my advice would be to put TB first.
    edited April 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    its underwater sequences aren't dull, like in THUNDERBALL.

Its underwater sequences aren't real, as in TB. Carole Bouquet wasn't able to do the underwater stuff, so they were faked.
    As I said above, I'm not knocking FYEO at all, it has plenty in its favour (well, apart from the score). If building a collection, though, I'd back TB first.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Terence Young (TB) or John Glen (FYEO).

Um, yeah. Terence Young.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Thunderball and For Your Eyes Only are both very solid Bond entries. Perhaps the most important part of your decision should be your own Bond actor preference, whether you favour Sean Connery or Roger Moore. If you favour Connery buy TB, if you favour Moore, buy FYEO. Both actors are in terrific form in their respective films.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    FYEO for sure, much more fast paced, a more interesting plot, and no tedious underwater sequences. Also, the villain is much more realistic, rather than the larger-than-life (literally) SPECTRE operative that Largo was supposed to be. Carole Bouquet is also a much better acted Bond girl.

But it's your call, even though I think TB is horrible, it all boils down to what you think.
  • Napoleon Han SoloNapoleon Han Solo Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Fish1941 wrote:
    its underwater sequences aren't dull, like in THUNDERBALL.

Its underwater sequences aren't real, as in TB. Carole Bouquet wasn't able to do the underwater stuff, so they were faked.
    As I said above, I'm not knocking FYEO at all, it has plenty in its favour (well, apart from the score). If building a collection, though, I'd back TB first.

It's underwater sequences are very well edited to seem real though, as Sir Roj notes in his voiceover, and that's the magic of movies. And if you are a Roger fan, buy it for the voiceover done by him, in addition to it just being a great movie, one of the best minimalist Bonds, really RM's FRWL - though the last scene is muy silly, but whatever. Moore is very entertaining and constantly draws attention to the talents of others he worked with.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    thanks for the input and advice so far.i know it's my choice which one to get,and i'll have the both of them eventually,but i haven,t seen either of them for a good few years now and i'm sure i'll love both of them,but if the one i get isn't as good as i remember it i'll have someone to blame.......you lot.
    remember your vote counts.
    ps i was going to put one of those smiley things in but not sure how they work.can someone please enlighten me?thanks
    if you are a Roger fan, buy it for the voiceover done by him, in addition to it just being a great movie, one of the best minimalist Bonds, really RM's FRWL - though the last scene is muy silly, but whatever. Moore is very entertaining and constantly draws attention to the talents of others he worked with.

I forgot to mention the commentary ;%! Moore's voiceover is a definite plus; whatever one may think about his portrayal of Bond (and I like that, despite my preference for Dalton), his undisputed charm carries him through. It's impossible not to like him! As said above, it all boils down to whether one likes his Bond or Connery's.
    FYEO is definitely Moore's FRWL- relatively realistic, a solid Fleming basis, and ambigious characters. John Glen is perhaps no Terence Young, but his work here was enough for Cubby to continue with him in the director's seat for four more 007 flicks.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    Why not just pony up the money and buy them both? You want them both and you said you eventually would any way. Just do it. You can never own too many James Bond movies if they are the ones you like.
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Seeing as you have them ranked side by side I would either pick the one you haven't seen in a while, flip a coin, or buy both.

Never mind that though-- come to the elimination game thread and vote! :D
  • Napoleon Han SoloNapoleon Han Solo Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    On the other hand, if you haven't seen TB in a while, the way the underwater scenes look on the new dvd's is amazing. Except I have noticed a general disdain for TB's underwater scenes, for some reason. I like them. It's cool to see Bond stabbing people in a different environment.:))
    When deciding between these two films, I'd nearly always opt for the one which doesn't feature Bond scoring hockey 'goals' with unconscious goons...
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    When deciding between these two films, I'd nearly always opt for the one which doesn't feature Bond scoring hockey 'goals' with unconscious goons...

For me, I'd rather take the hockey goons rather than the Francois/Angelo prequel to what eventually would be gene therapy in DAD.

If you absolutely don't have room in your budget for both films, go with FYEO.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • Prince Kamal KhanPrince Kamal Khan Posts: 277MI6 Agent
    Definitely go with TB, by far the vastly superior of the two Bond films featuring the best Bond in his prime and the stylish direction of Terence Young. It also features an infintely superior and more memorable villain in Largo as opposed to the forgettable Kristatos, far more chemistry between Bond and Domino as opposed to the father/daughter like relationship of Bond and Melina, a far more exciting and gripping villainous threat concerning a potential nuclear attack against the West, and who in his right mind on this planet would pass on watching the definitive femme fatale Fiona Volpe in favor of the adolescent stalker Bibi Dahl?

TB all the way.

All together now: "He always runs while others walk....."
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Glen...Glen...Glennnnnnrrrrrawwwrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Oh sorry, full moon's tomorrow, isn't it? :p

(I know, I know, typical blueman post, bonkers and all...ah well, tomorrow's another day to die never again but with a view to only your eyes living in daylight...octopussy)
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    That may out-crazy 10% of my posts... ;)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    THAT hurts, JFF, gotta be at least in the 20s somewhere...

Tough crowd.
    Tee Hee wrote:
    For me, I'd rather take the hockey goons

Yes...I feared as much :p

But be careful...you're straining a bit in blaming TB for DAD...you might pull something.

But be careful...you're straining a bit in blaming TB for DAD...you might pull something.

Loeffelholz, my friend, you are just like all those stubborn Connery elitists who seem to believe that nothing remotely outlandish occurred in the Connery Era until DAF. :p

Why can't you concede to me just once? :))

If anything is a stretch it's Angelo's incredible transformation into Francois Derval. :p

-Roger Moore
    edited April 2007
    Tee Hee wrote:

Loeffelholz, my friend, you are just like all those stubborn Connery elitists who seem to believe that nothing remotely outlandish occurred in the Connery Era until DAF. :p

I've never asserted such a thing---ever. Regrettably, another member and I parted ways over a similar issue...In fact, were I him, I would now get quite snotty and say, "How dare you turn this into an Actor A versus an Actor B issue??? And using a smiley to boot!?!?"

Instead, I'll merely point out that Connery himself referred to the early films as 'deadpan spoofing'---which is hugely different, IMRO, from the rampant self-indulgence that came later (I need not and shall not elaborate).
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Why can't you concede to me just once? :))

Sure! Just admit you're mistaken, and I'll concede B-)
    Tee Hee wrote:
    If anything is a stretch it's Angelo's incredible transformation into Francois Derval. :p

You're welcome to that opinion. For myself, I tend to afford more forgiveness to outlandish escapist devices when they further the plot, no matter how unlikely or implausible (the Derval plastic surgery, Bond masquerading as a Japanese fisherman, MI6 entering Bond in a No Limit Poker game, etc), rather than distract from it (goons scoring hockey 'goals,' Tarzan yell, double-taking pigeon, underwater tie-straightening)...

For the record: I rather enjoy most of FYEO, though I personally feel it would have been much better if---as originally intended---it had been a vehicle for a new Bond actor...

Enjoy that hockey scene! {[]
    edited April 2007
    I've never asserted such a thing---ever. Regrettably, another member and I parted ways over a similar issue...In fact, were I him, I would now get quite snotty and say, "How dare you turn this into an Actor A versus an Actor B issue??? And using a smiley to boot!?!?"

Perhaps my judgement was a bit rash and unfair. I appologize. I meant no offense by my comment; I assure you it was said most light-heartedly. :) Naturally, I appreciate that you can conduct yourself like a gentleman, unlike the member to whom you've alluded to.

Still friends? :D
    Sure! Just admit you're mistaken, and I'll concede B-)

Alright, maybe I'm mistaken. But it doesn't change the fact that I often find you overly critical of the Roger Moore Era while at the same time leaving the Connery Era unscathed. I may be an ardent supporter of Sir Roger, but I can admit when things get carried away. For example, most likely to your surprise, I find the Jaws/Dolly relationship in MR to be indeed regrettable.

There I said it. Now concede! :D
    You're welcome to that opinion. For myself, I tend to afford more forgiveness to outlandish escapist devices when they further the plot (the Derval plastic surgery, Bond masquerading as a Japanese fisherman, MI6 entering Bond in a No Limit Poker game, etc) rather than distract from it (goons scoring hockey 'goals,' Tarzan yell, double-taking pigeon, underwater tie-straightening)...

I find that interesting-that you would be more annoyed by a 2 second pigeon double-take than let's say the entire gene therapy angle of DAD, as the latter drives the plot. Interesting indeed.
    Enjoy that hockey scene!

You are irritatingly smug Loeffs. If I hear "I think Roger Moore was swell" one more time... :))

-Roger Moore
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    It's a tough choice. Personally I prefer FYEO, because of it's storyline and less boring underwater sequences. But TB has its plusses.

I don't think you should base your decision on our votes, but rather, on your tastes (on what you've enjoyed about Bond so far). At any rate, since both movies are essential entries, I shall break the comparison down into categories.

Bond: Vintage Sean Connery versus a good Roger Moore. I think Sean wins.

Villain: I personally prefer Kristatos (FYEO) to Largo, but I know some members of this forum will disagree. At any rate, neither one of the villains is an over-the-top megalomaniac. And that is a good thing.

Girls: Melina is pretty good but Domino and Fiona Volpe might well be the hottest girls in the whole series (not counting Electra King and Tracy di Vicenzo). This one goes to TB by a comfortable margin.

Plot: I've always preferred low-key, cold-war based storylines to "steal-nuclear-weapons-and- blackmail-the-superpowers" type plots. So my preference here goes to FYEO

Direction: Terence Young (TB) beats John Glen (FYEO) any day. It pains me to say it, given my self-appointment as guardian of the Dalton legacy, but John Glen should never have made the career move from second-unit director.

Location: Here people will disagree. Exotic bahamas or the spectacular Greek Islands with a dash of Italian Alps? I'd go for the second. So this point goes to FYEO.

Handling of the plot: FYEO might well be 1 of only 5 Bond movies that do not lose steam in the third act. TB on the other hand begins its resolution with the longest-drawn underwater battle in the history of film.

Bonus reasons for watching FYEO: The character of Columbo and the killing of Locque.

Bonus reasons for watching TB: Fiona Volpe's priceless expression when Connery hands her something to wear, in what is probably the single wittiest moment in the entire series.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    I like FYEO alot (IMO it was Moore's second best Bond film after TSWLM) but IMO TB is an absolute masterpiece and was the third greatest Bond film of all time. I think that FYEO is terrific (including the hockey game ;)) but I consider TB to be close to perfection; so my advice is to buy TB now, and FYEO later.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    Handling of the plot: FYEO might well be 1 of only 5 Bond movies that do not lose steam in the third act.

That's a controversial claim. I can't say I agree, but I'm curious to hear what you think the other 4 are.
    Tee Hee wrote:

Okay; sure. I concede :) Friends indeed {[]
    You are irritatingly smug Loeffs. If I hear "I think Roger Moore was swell" one more time... :))

It's a defense mechanism.

As to the member to whom I alluded...he is every inch the gentleman, and has been a friend...all the more reason I regret the clash of our personalities. Ah well. C'est la guerre.

...And that one fellow is---swell, I mean.
  • OdowanOdowan Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    I much prefer FYEO over TB, but it's a matter of personal preference. I know there's plenty here that think TB is one of the best.
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:

Okay; sure. I concede :) Friends indeed {[]

It's a defense mechanism.

As to the member to whom I alluded...he is every inch the gentleman, and has been a friend...all the more reason I regret the clash of our personalities. Ah well. C'est la guerre.

...And that one fellow is---swell, I mean.

Anybody else, here, thinks these two guys should ... -- how shall I put it? -- get a room? :007)
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    RJJB wrote:
    Why not just pony up the money and buy them both? You want them both and you said you eventually would any way. Just do it. You can never own too many James Bond movies if they are the ones you like.
    hope your not trying to infer i'm tightfisted....ha ha ha
    i could buy both if i wanted to,but it's something to look forward to,a new bond dvd each month,and besides it's a bit of fun getting you guys to choose.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    cosmo wrote:
    hope your not trying to infer i'm tightfisted....ha ha ha
    i could buy both if i wanted to,but it's something to look forward to,a new bond dvd each month,and besides it's a bit of fun getting you guys to choose.

Nah just trying to save you the mental anguish of making a decision. Besides, if you buy them both at the same time, you can use the TB disc to cover the FYEO disc, so people don't see how you're throwing your money away. Guess you can tell which movie I'd choose....