thunderball or for your eyes only

13»

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Too true, the craze which culminated with TB wasn't seen or replicated again until '77's SW. In both cases the character, toys, mannerisms, etc. entered the lexicon of pop culture like no other.

Inflation will never hold a candle to the enormity of GF, and especially, TB.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Even if a modern Bond film did manage to replicate TB's numbers, it would still be a smaller percentage of possible theatre-goers, as the world population has significantly increased since the 60s.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Is this whole thing about Bondmania is about how "superior" THUNDERBALL and GOLDFINGER are to movies like FOR YOUR EYES ONLY? As if this is all supposed to be set in stone or something?
    The only thing set in stone is that you're never in a good mood. We were talking about TB and Bondmania. That's not too suprising, is it?
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Is this whole thing about Bondmania is about how "superior" THUNDERBALL and GOLDFINGER are to movies like FOR YOUR EYES ONLY? As if this is all supposed to be set in stone or something?

It is set in stone. The phenomenon of Bondmania is a well documented fact - try a cultural reference book. It has nothing to do with the quality or lack thereof of the films and everything to do with the 1960s going Bond and spy-crazy.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    thanks for everyones contribution.
    anyway as i said fyeo won.it must have been at least ten to fifteen years since i last watched it,and i'm glad to say, i really enjoyed watching it again.
    anyway,i remember the 1st time i watched it in the cinema with a friend,he remarked right at the start how old roger moore looked,and of course he had aged quite a bit since moonraker,even though it was only two years between them,but for some reason i felt like hitting him for mentioning it.i was probably in denial.
    well later i thought he was to old to play bond,as he was in octopuusy and a view to a kill.
    but you know what,so what if he's playing a 50 year old bond.what's wrong with that.he's not pretending to be thirty three any more.he's got the chance to sleep with a blonde teenage ice skater,and he turns her down in favour of an ice cream,how cool is that?B-)