Nostalgic/Forgotten Foods/Snacks

General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
I realised a while back that I hadn't seen Ice Cream Flavoured Chewits for the longest time. I read somewhere that they were limited edition only throughout the 1990's, and were no longer made. This bugs me really, because I was still growing up through the 90's, and Ice Cream Flavoured Chewits were an important part of the decade for someone with a sweet-tooth, such as I!

I managed to find this;
Oh, it takes me back, it really does.  There are actual websites dedicated to the snacks which are no longer with us. Those cherished pieces of tasty, edible nostalgia!  Also, what's with getting rid of these;Huh? They're available in the US still. No fair! You guys DESERVE to have only a limited release ofHot Fuzz as revenge for stealing this precious cereal! ;)

If I really thought about it, I bet I could devise a pretty populated list of snacks which are no longer around. Ones that I miss.

Anyone else miss a particular food? Or do I just need to drop it?! ;)

Comments

• Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Ice cream flavoured Chewits? eck06.gif

I loathed those things, they always used to make me feel ill.

I miss Opal Fruits. They are *not* Starburst, damnit! I also remember something similar to Lucky Charms (not sure if the cereal was called that, though); I used to pick out all the marshmallow bits and leave all the other stuff.

As a child of the 80s though I'm sure there are other things I enjoyed that are no longer around. . . Hang on, I also remember the days when Salt and Vinegar was in blue packets and Cheese and Onion in green. I hated that change as I got them mixed for quite a while afterwards.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,360Chief of Staff
    edited April 2007
    Aztec Bars.
    Fizzy Cola Flavour Spangles.
    Pop Nuts.

Anyone remember them?
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    I remember I used to beg my mom to pick up cool breakfast cereals (Count Chockula & Captain Crunch) while we were at the supermarket but we usually ended up with tasteless Quaker Oatmeal in that tall cylindrical box and Popeye's Puffed Wheat. I hated those with a passion because they both look gross in a bowl. X-(

As far as candy was concerned, I regularly bought Now & Laters for a dime and compared to the way they look now, the packs were considerably larger.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    In the 1970s, when I played Little League Baseball, we would get vouchers for use at the snack bar immediately after games. Two snacks I remember distinctly from those days:

-- Zotz, hard fruit-flavored candies with a tart, fizzy powder inside them.

-- Zimi, a slush drink in various flavors that was dispensed from a machine.

I have no idea if they even make them anymore. Off to Wikipedia to find out...
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Aztec Bars.

I loved Aztec Bars. They seemed to last for ages.

My other favourite at the time was Bar Six. A lot more substantial than a Kit Kat ;) .
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    take away our lucky charms? NEVER! *hoards them all* :v I had some over the weekend...delish :D

Flinstones Pushup pops, how I miss thee...:'(

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Also, what's with getting rid of these;
    Huh? They're available in the US still. No fair! You guys DESERVE to have only a limited release ofHot Fuzz as revenge for stealing this precious cereal! ;)

What's this about no more Lucky Charms in the UK? And how on earth could we have "stolen" it? Dude, we invented it! Who else but an American could think of dumping sugared marshmallows onto sugared cereal?

But, being an old phart, I can remember all sorts of things that have disappeared. Marathon candy bar, cereals like Freakies (which was just Cap'n Crunch) and Qwisp (which I think you can still find in some areas), and a line of Kool-Aid like drink mixes--I think it was called Funny Face, and it had different characters for each flavor. Somewhere in my Dad's house are plastic mugs featuring Goofy Grape and Jolly Ollie Orange.

Ah, memories. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

What's this about no more Lucky Charms in the UK? And how on earth could we have "stolen" it? Dude, we invented it! Who else but an American could think of dumping sugared marshmallows onto sugared cereal?

Personally, I'm rather pleased Lucky Charms have been banished from our shores. Too sweet,too colourful, too ..... Not one of the US's finest moments IMO. :D
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    a texan was my fave 1970s chocolate bar... but i hated prize bars because of the very camp fake tanned prize guy who used to advertise them...also is it me or have curly wurlys got much smaller?
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    delon64 wrote:
    also is it me or have curly wurlys got much smaller?

They're definitely smaller.

What about Wham Bars? They are still about, but they've done something to them. I had one a couple of years ago and it had definitely lost some of its Wham.
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    For Hardy:

pac37.jpg

I have been trying to remember the name of this stuff for years, you totally reminded me how much I loved them as a little kid. How could I forget? I had all the characters too.

Does anyone remember Wacky Packages? :)) They were the coolest thing to collect back then, and all that brilliance came from gum! :D

weakies-strip2.jpg
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited April 2007
    Hardyboy wrote:
    ...cereals like Freakies (which was just Cap'n Crunch) and Qwisp (which I think you can still find in some areas)

And let's not forget Quake, which (like Qwisp, which were like little flying saucers!) was basically differently-shaped Cap'n Crunch...I think Quake looked like rocks...? God, it's been a long time...I remember 'Funny Face,' too! Goofy Grape was my favourite!

All I need is Adam West's Batman on TV, and I'll be six again!
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Thanks, Mo! {[] :x And I also loved Wacky Packages (or, as we used to call 'em back in the day, Wacky Packies). I used to collect them and roar with laughter over the parodies: Footsie Roll, Beanball cards, and my all time favorite, Cap'n Crud. Wacky Packs and Mad magazine are probably most responsible for the satirical, smartass personality you see before you today!

Next thing you know I'll start waxing nostalgic about Mego action figures, the Big Wheel, and my treasured Six Million Dollar Man doll. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I miss these:

3.jpg
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Aztec Bars.

There was a relaunch of sorts a few years ago. Naturally I bought one, but it just didn't seem to be the same as I remembered. Now either (a) I'm looking back through rose-tinted glasses or (b) they got the recipe wrong. ?:)
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    . . Hang on, I also remember the days when Salt and Vinegar was in blue packets and Cheese and Onion in green. I hated that change as I got them mixed for quite a while afterwards.

I remember when the SALT was in a blue packet and you had to mix it in with the crisps.:))

More recently, a few years ago (due to an occasional minor sinus problem), I found that mint flavoured Tunes (much better than Halls mentholyptus, especially with a hot drink) were the cheaper answer to Sinutab, but they were only a trial in my area and they never seemed to catch on - I think I was the biggest customer for the ones my newsagaent sold.
    Back to Funny Face drink mixes. . .I recall some wind-up "walkers" of the different characters, none of which I had but which my little kid's heart deeply coveted. I just went to eBay to see if they have any of them, and they do. Alas, there will be no bids from the Hardyboy--a set of the walkers starts at $200.00!! :o

Apparently there's a Funny Face renaissance for people of my and Mo's age: I found magnets based on the original packaging, bobbleheads of the characters, and--believe it or not!--original packets with original drink mix inside. Somehow, I doubt that 30+ years has improved the flavor.

Who says you can't put a price on memories?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    hahaha indeed. something (disgusting for you but oddly tasty) I had the other day for the first time in years are those orange circus peanuts. hot dang are they tasty. I missed them, although they hadn't gone away. {[]

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    My kids have started having 'Golden Nuggets' breakfast cereal recently and they're TINY! I remember them being real big hard boulders that only softened up after being in milk for AGES! :#
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Aztec Bars.

My other favourite at the time was Bar Six. A lot more substantial than a Kit Kat ;) .
    sorry to have to tell you lady rose,but a few years back they brought back aztec bars for a limited period and i bought one.sorry to say but it must have been cadburys answer to mars bars. they taste similar but really are a poor relation which is why they died out and mars bars kept going.old sweets are a bit like tv shows from the sixties/seventies that you think were the bees knees,but when you see them again years later you're left feeling so disapointed.mind you, having said that i could go for a golden cup followed by a sherbit fountain and maybe a packet of opal mints oh and what about... ah go on i'll try one of those aztec bars again. yum yum.
    So do they still manufacture the Mars Bar in the UK? It's long gone (in a sense) in the US--the M&M/Mars company introduced the Milky Way with Almonds bar, which is pretty much the same thing as Mars, and which took its place. To be honest, though, I lost my interest in Mars Bars when they started chopping up the almonds and putting them inside the candy. They used to manufacture it with a couple of almonds on top of the nougat and covered in chocolate, and I always liked to pick the nuts off and eat them and the bar separately. The presentation indeed is half the meal.

And I mentioned this earlier, but here it is, another cherished childhood food that has now become an example of 1970s kitsch:

Come to think of it, I got the cereal (well, begged my parents to get it) only to collect the toy Freakies they packed in the boxes.  I had them all, plus the magnets and even a T-shirt.  The cereal itself?  Ehhh. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    So do they still manufacture the Mars Bar in the UK? It's long gone (in a sense) in the US--the M&M/Mars company introduced the Milky Way with Almonds bar, which is pretty much the same thing as Mars, and which took its place. To be honest, though, I lost my interest in Mars Bars when they started chopping up the almonds and putting them inside the candy. They used to manufacture it with a couple of almonds on top of the nougat and covered in chocolate, and I always liked to pick the nuts off and eat them and the bar separately. The presentation indeed is half the meal.

The Mars Bar is still present in the UK, but I don't personally recall there ever being almonds either in or on top of them. We just had nougat and caramel, covered in chocolate. We don't get the Almond-version of the Milky Way either. Almonds must be a trend exclusive to the US! Either that or I've been missing something for years... :)
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    A Mars Bar in the UK isn't the same thing as a Mars Bar in America. Thanks to Wikipedia, I've done from scouting around, and apparently:

UK Mars Bar = US Milky Way Bar
    UK Milky Way = US 3 Musketeers

The American Milky Way with Almonds has no correlation in the UK - thank God, because it sounds horrific!

Ice cream Chewits = yum!
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    I realised a while back that I hadn't seen Ice Cream Flavoured Chewits for the longest time. I read somewhere that they were limited edition only throughout the 1990's, and were no longer made. This bugs me really, because I was still growing up through the 90's, and Ice Cream Flavoured Chewits were an important part of the decade for someone with a sweet-tooth, such as I!

I managed to find this;
    Oh, it takes me back, it really does.  There are actual websites dedicated to the snacks which are no longer with us. Those cherished pieces of tasty, edible nostalgia!  Also, what's with getting rid of these;Huh? They're available in the US still. No fair! You guys DESERVE to have only a limited release ofHot Fuzz as revenge for stealing this precious cereal! ;)

If I really thought about it, I bet I could devise a pretty populated list of snacks which are no longer around. Ones that I miss.

Anyone else miss a particular food? Or do I just need to drop it?! ;)

"They're always after me lucky charms!"

Now I know what that IRA member Paddy O'Brien in Austin Powers is on about (or rather Frau whatshername and Evil btw were Lucky Charms around in the era of free love? How would he know about them?)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    A Mars Bar in the UK isn't the same thing as a Mars Bar in America. Thanks to Wikipedia, I've done from scouting around, and apparently:

The American Milky Way with Almonds has no correlation in the UK - thank God, because it sounds horrific!

Ice cream Chewits = yum!

That's very interesting. I was going to mention to HB that some specialty grocery stores or even a Cost Plus has a small import section. The local Cost Plus has a British section, even the grocery store I work for once had a small British section. I noticed they had some Cadbury candy, the Mars bar, a honeycomb type candybar (sorry, forgot the name) and one of my favorites...The Lion Bar.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:

Ice cream Chewits = yum!

That's very interesting. I was going to mention to HB that some specialty grocery stores or even a Cost Plus has a small import section. The local Cost Plus has a British section, even the grocery store I work for once had a small British section. I noticed they had some Cadbury candy, the Mars bar, a honeycomb type candybar (sorry, forgot the name) and one of my favorites...The Lion Bar.

At Draeger's in your town, Mr. Martini, I occasionally buy those imported Cadburys, particularly the Flakes (is this the same thing Bond recalled having as a kid in OHMSS?) and Maltzers, IMO, the best maltballs ever. I remember seeing those Mars bars in the black wrapper. What I want to actually try is a deep fried Mars bar, which I think some place in SF does.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    cosmo wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Aztec Bars.

sorry to have to tell you lady rose,but a few years back they brought back aztec bars for a limited period and i bought one.

cosmo: check five posts above yours. {[]
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    This may actually still exist, but I can't find it here in California: Junket. Strawberry flavored Junket. I used to love that stuff as a kid. It's like a cross between Jell-O and pudding.
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:

I think you'll find that that is a Crunchie - one of my favourites when I used to eat confectionery.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    cosmo wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

sorry to have to tell you lady rose,but a few years back they brought back aztec bars for a limited period and i bought one.

cosmo: check five posts above yours. {[]
    yes i noticed after i'd posted,sorry about that.anyway, it was a bad idea bringing them back, as this myth about how wonderful they were was exposed.
    another choclate bar i came across again a few years back was an mb bar.remember them? they were fondant creme covered in chocolate,similar to frys cremes.another disapointment, they were crap as well.