Nostalgic/Forgotten Foods/Snacks

2»

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:
    A Mars Bar in the UK isn't the same thing as a Mars Bar in America. Thanks to Wikipedia, I've done from scouting around, and apparently:

UK Mars Bar = US Milky Way Bar
    UK Milky Way = US 3 Musketeers

The American Milky Way with Almonds has no correlation in the UK - thank God, because it sounds horrific!

Ice cream Chewits = yum!

That's very interesting. I was going to mention to HB that some specialty grocery stores or even a Cost Plus has a small import section. The local Cost Plus has a British section, even the grocery store I work for once had a small British section. I noticed they had some Cadbury candy, the Mars bar, a honeycomb type candybar (sorry, forgot the name) and one of my favorites...The Lion Bar.

At Draeger's in your town, Mr. Martini, I occasionally buy those imported Cadburys, particularly the Flakes (is this the same thing Bond recalled having as a kid in OHMSS?) and Maltzers, IMO, the best maltballs ever. I remember seeing those Mars bars in the black wrapper. What I want to actually try is a deep fried Mars bar, which I think some place in SF does.

Ahh yes, good 'ole Draegers. There's one very close to me. Now I know where to go for a Lion bar. I'll have to try those Maltballs you speak of. As for the deep fried Mars bar. I just read on Wikipedia it's sometimes found in fish & chip shops around the country and in England & Northern Ireland. It has me thinking that maybe (a very slim maybe ) that Prince of Wales might make this. I'll have to stop in there one day for lunch and find out.

*Sidenote. The Prince of Wales is a small English Pub in my hometown.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I haven't had a Tab in a long time. Do they make them anymore?

tabcan.gif
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Mr Martini wrote:
    I just read on Wikipedia it's sometimes found in fish & chip shops around the country and in England & Northern Ireland.
    This lends weight to my opinion that the claims of deep fried Mars bar being a west of Scotland "delicacy" is an urban myth. I have never came across any chippy, or any other kebab house or pizza shop, that has anything like that on the menu...

Pacers I miss. Mint chews, white with green stripes :)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    I haven't had a Tab in a long time. Do they make them anymore?

tabcan.gif

Pssssssst .......;) \/

http://www.virtualvender.coca-cola.com/ft/detail.jsp?region_id=&country_id=&drink_type_id=&all_reg_selected=&brand_id=279

hope this helps some
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope