• Willard WhyteWillard Whyte Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    1...CONNERY
    2...LAZENBY
    3...CRAIG
    4...DALTON
    5...BROSNAN
    6...MOORE

Lazenby is massively underated Imo

Whoa, a big Lazenby fan, now that's interesting to see.

He was brilliant in OHMSS and it's my favourite Bond film, he played Bond perfectly Imo.
    I smell a rat
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    1. Craig
    Four very solid film IMO, yes QoS is edited quite badly but I really enjoy the film. CR is my favourite film, love Craig there, did a great job.

2. Brosnan
    Pierce was great in all of his films. Looked great in each of them and acted very well. My love for GoldenEye is big and also for the sake of nostalgia he's right here, at the second spot. Oh and, Everything Or Nothing the game is great, was really nice to have a game voiced by Pierce.

3. Moore
    Moore always makes me happy. He's proud to be a former Bond, and you can see he enjoyed all his seven films. Even AVTAK where he does look a bit old, he did do a fine job. Great actor who's proud of the job, love to Moore.

4. Dalton
    Make a choice between Connery and Dalton was hard. But were Dalton rocks in both his movies, Connery wasn't that great in TB, YOLT and DAF. Tim had two great movies and I still hate the fact he didn't make a third, that would've been great.

5. Connery
    A true gentleman in his first three, but weaker in his last 3. About his earlier ones, he did a great job and set the standard to Bond. A true pleasure to watch. Great.

6. Lazenby
    Although not bad, he's definitely the worst. Not bad, just not as good as the others. I think DAF would've been better with George. Story for revenge on Tracy would be great, but glad Moore took the role in 1973. Still fun to watch.
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
  • Penfold HeartPenfold Heart Posts: 159MI6 Agent
    1. Dalton
    2. Connery
    3. Moore
    4. Craig
    5. Brosnan
    6. Lazenby
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Here's my heresy:

1. Dalton
    2. Brosnan
    3. Connery/Craig (tie)
    4. Moore
    5. Lazenby

& just so you know, I really like 'em all.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I too like them all -{ so tend to put them in two tiers.
    Connery, Dalton and Craig. Fine actors, who have given well researched and
    well rounded performances as Bond.
    Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby. Also fine actors, but perhaps let down with not quite
    Stellar scripts, or too much special effects over human story in some of their
    films.
    Although they're all good really ;) as every actor has his strengths -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I too like them all -{ so tend to put them in two tiers.
    Connery, Dalton and Craig. Fine actors, who have given well researched and
    well rounded performances as Bond.
    Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby. Also fine actors, but perhaps let down with not quite
    Stellar scripts, or too much special effects over human story in some of their
    films.
    Although they're all good really ;) as every actor has his strengths -{
    That's actually a fine way to rate them! -{
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    chrisisall wrote:
    Here's my heresy:

1. Dalton
    2. Brosnan

We have the same Top 2 Bonds, sweet! (although in different order, but still.) {[]
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • Julius No M.D.Julius No M.D. Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed all of the Bond actors. I'm not that big on ranking things, so I'll just leave it at that.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    1) Connery/Craig - a tie, although they do trade places at the top depending on my mood...I agree with a critic(!!!) who recently said that the only reason Craig isn't the best is because he wasn't the first B-) Connery originated; Craig re-originated for a new century. Coincidentally, the three actors in my 1 and 2 slots are the best actors of the lot, IMO.

2) Dalton. Made his bones in the Royal Shakespeare Company; read the Fleming novels to prepare for the role. Physically very sound as well. Visibly not as comfortable with the inherent humour of the material. Tenure shortened by factors beyond his control.

3) Brosnan. Some fantastic moments in the role. Confounded by some dodgy writing.

4) Lazenby. Great unfulfilled promise, particularly for a non-actor. His one-off is a classic; final scene brilliant. Recipient of the Worst Agent Advice in the History of Motion Pictures.

5) Moore. Some fine moments in the role. Renowned humanitarian and gentleman. A lovely fellow.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Lh, given your ranking, you seem to prefer Bond played seriously.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Lh, given your ranking, you seem to prefer Bond played seriously.

It would appear so, wouldn't it? :)) I appreciate the humour of Bond as much as anyone (really enjoyed SP!)...but jarring gags take me me out of the moment, and really harm the way I experience a handful of the films. But I love them all :007)
    jarring gags take me me out of the moment, and really harm the way I experience a handful of the films.
    'Attempting re-entry" always makes one feel better... :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    jarring gags take me me out of the moment, and really harm the way I experience a handful of the films.
    'Attempting re-entry" always makes one feel better... :))

I had no problem with that one! :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed all of the Bond actors. I'm not that big on ranking things, so I'll just leave it at that.

Now that's my kind of man! Welcome to AJB, Julius No M.D. - great username by the way! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    1. Brosnan- First Bond for me. Favorite movie. Looks the role the most to me. Yes had weaker scripts late, but just pure Bond actor it's Brosnan for me. Saved franchise.

2. Connery- Original. Great, set the standard. Brought James Bond into the cinema. Can't say enough great things.

3. Craig- Modern day, gritty, dark, realistic Bond. Needed to Bond in this direction and he excelled in doing so. Added another generation of fans. Great.

4. Moore- Many of his film are at the very bottom for me. But his portrayal was unique and perfect for the 70's. Kept Bond extremely relevant.

5. Lazenby- OHMSS is in my top 5. Phenominal film. Lazenby looked the part and looked great In action scenes. Would loved to have seen him do more.

6. Dalton- His films feel the least like Bond films to me. 80's type of movies maybe. Like the films but does not scream Bond to me. Although he opened door for Craig portrayal.
    eric7064 wrote:
    1. Brosnan- First Bond for me. Favorite movie. Looks the role the most to me. Yes had weaker scripts late, but just pure Bond actor it's Brosnan for me. Saved franchise.

Always great to see a Brosnan fan 'round here.
  • antiamadeusantiamadeus Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    Very tough to choose, but...

1. Moore (my first Bond, still the funniest, could get serious when he had to, and probably the best looking)

2. Lazenby (close second, and he's the best fighter)

3. Brosnan (might be too handsome considering how serious some of his films were (especially TWINE)--he's believable as a spy, but as an assassin, too?)

4. Craig (maybe a little too short--does not have that traditional commanding presence we used to associate with Bond...definitely looks like he could kill you, but still manages to wear a suit well, his work in the torture scene of CR is the best acting in the series)

5. Connery (his Bond acts like he doesn't care what anyone thinks about him)

6. Dalton (the first Introspective Bond, has a touch of madness to him, and you really believe in LTK he might go off the deep end; he's intense and engrossing)

I think all of these men have made their mark on the series and can be proud of what they've done. -{

But Moore changed everything. If he hadn't come along, we would have been worn out with Connery clones and the series would never have made it 50 years. I mean, nobody can do Connery as well as Connery. The Bond character must be adapted to the strengths of the actor playing the role.
    Wow, another big Lazenby fan. I'm impressed.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    But Moore changed everything.  If he hadn't come along, we would have been worn out with Connery clones and the series would never have made it 50 years.  I mean, nobody can do Connery as well as Connery.  The Bond character must be adapted to the strengths of the actor playing the role.

{[]
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    But Moore changed everything.  If he hadn't come along, we would have been worn out with Connery clones and the series would never have made it 50 years.  I mean, nobody can do Connery as well as Connery.  The Bond character must be adapted to the strengths of the actor playing the role.

{[]

There's no denying that. He established early on that variations in hair color, role interpretation, etc., were by no means deal breakers.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

{[]

Well said, indeed. We have Sir Roger Moore to thank for a lot. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

{[]

Well said, indeed. We have Sir Roger Moore to thank for a lot. :) -{
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    I'm shocked when anyone has Connery as low as 5. Really I am. He brought the role onto screen, and yes different from the book, but everyone has tried to be the character Connery brought. He set the standard. Did it first.
    eric7064 wrote:
    I'm shocked when anyone has Connery as low as 5. Really I am. He brought the role onto screen, and yes different from the book, but everyone has tried to be the character Connery brought. He set the standard. Did it first.

I get annoyed that people claim because he did it first as the reason why he's the best or should get a free pass. Don't get me wrong, I love SC as Bond and he's 2nd for me, but I can see why people don't rate him as high as others.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    eric7064 wrote:

You can't stop people from rating Masaratis higher than Ferraris ;)
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    eric7064 wrote:

I get annoyed that people claim because he did it first as the reason why he's the best or should get a free pass. Don't get me wrong, I love SC as Bond and he's 2nd for me, but I can see why people don't rate him as high as others.

Still, to have Lazenby higher than Connery isn't right. I think Lazenby's one film is the best film of the series, but Connery brought a lot more to the role than Lazenby did. Lazenby's portrayal is based on Connery.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    Still, to have Lazenby higher than Connery isn't right. I think Lazenby's one film is the best film of the series, but Connery brought a lot more to the role than Lazenby did. Lazenby's portrayal is based on Connery.

Yeah I agree, I've got Lazenby at the base of my rankings and it's only because I can't compare his performances against anything else despite his fantastic performance.

"Better make that two."
    Matt S wrote:

Yeah I agree, I've got Lazenby at the base of my rankings and it's only because I can't compare his performances against anything else despite his fantastic performance.

OHMSS is the best performance I've seen Lazenby give. I've seen him in three other films that he did not long after Bond, and he's not so special in any of them.
  • Willard WhyteWillard Whyte Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    I watched LTK yesterday and Dalton was very poor...

New LIST

1...CONNERY
    2...LAZENBY
    3...CRAIG
    4...BROSNAN
    5...MOORE
    6...DALTON

Who looks like Bond in the novels or who looks like a Bond

1,,,,,Connery
    2.....Brosnan
    3.....Lazenby
    4.....Craig
    5.....Dalton
    6.....Moore

Props to PB he looks like a James Bond without a wig and natural charm ...Connery
    I smell a rat
    I watched LTK yesterday and Dalton was very poor...

New LIST

1...CONNERY
    2...LAZENBY
    3...CRAIG
    4...BROSNAN
    5...MOORE
    6...DALTON

Who looks like Bond in the novels or who looks like a Bond

1,,,,,Connery
    2.....Brosnan
    3.....Lazenby
    4.....Craig
    5.....Dalton
    6.....Moore

Props to PB he looks like a James Bond without a wig and natural charm ...Connery

Dalton looks most like the Bond in the novels, though Connery dresses most like Bond in the novels.