Bond Returns to The Alps

LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
Just breaking:

http://commanderbond.net/article/4360

Although "definite decisions are yet to be made," Forster says that he'd like to bring Bond back to the Swiss Alps for #22...previously visited in OHMSS...

Perhaps a bit of serious mountain-climbing this time round, instead of (or in addition to) skiing? For my own part, I won't mind terribly if the snow-skiing is kept to a minimum this time out---and thank God the parafoils are probably off the table :(|)

I think Craigger would be the perfect Bond to bring a bit of 'Eiger Sanction' to the party -{

"Hannes Oberhauser...paging Mr. Hannes Oberhauser..." B-)
Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Sounds great. {[] OHMSS was, of course, set in the Alps and that was a pretty good film. :D One question; were parafoils rumoured to be in Bond 22?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Dan Same wrote:
    were parafoils rumoured to be in Bond 22?

Not as far as I know...but, having just used them in TWINE, hopefully they'll do something else...

I wouldn't mind a straight-out, massive snowmobile chase/extravaganza... :007)
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    I hope there isn't too much skiing. It's been overdone IMO - OHMSS, FYEO, AVTAK, TSWLM - no more skiing I hope.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    edited June 2007
    Not as far as I know...but, having just used them in TWINE, hopefully they'll do something else...

I had forgotten about TWINE. Whenever I think of the Swiss Alps, I always think of OHMSS. As far as the chase scene goes, I actually am a fan of skiing. My favourite chase in OHMSS has always been the skiing chase when Bond escaped from Pizz Gloria. Either way, as long as there isn't an over-reliance on CGI, I won't complain. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited June 2007
    I'm all for some serious, high-altitude climbing action...and a snowmobile chase along the lines of what we saw in the 'Nightfire' video game B-)

And thankfully, Eon seems to be trending away from OTT CGI... :)
    Jarvio wrote:
    I hope there isn't too much skiing. It's been overdone IMO - OHMSS, FYEO, AVTAK, TSWLM - no more skiing I hope.
    The fact that skiing has been used so much suggests that it probably will not be used again any time soon. However, not all skiing chases need be identical; compare OHMSS to TSWLM. Both were brilliant IMO and yet very different.
    And thankfully, Eon seems to be trending away from OTT CGI... :)
    The one thing I will say about CR is that the chase scenes were fantastic. :D

BTW, Loeff, I just noticed your changed sig. I really like the Fleming quote, and as for the addition to the other quote, well, at least you acknowledge Connery to be the best Bond. :))
    At any rate, the snowy/icy mountains will be make a nice juxtaposition with the tropical Bahamas in the previous picture...it's good to break things up a bit, IMO.

Any fans of Clint Eastwood's 'The Eiger Sanction' out there?
    I am. I'm a huge Eastwood fan in general, and I think that The Eiger Sanction was a terrific film. :D
    Dan Same wrote:
    BTW, Loeff, I just noticed your changed sig. I really like the Fleming quote

Me too; it's one of my favourites {[] He had the good sense not to take himself too seriously ;)
    Dan Same wrote:
    ...and as for the addition to the other quote, well, at least you acknowledge Connery to be the best Bond. :))

:D

At least, so far :v ...pending the results of more outings from (Formerly) Poor DannyTM... {:)
    edited June 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    I am. I'm a huge Eastwood fan in general, and I think that The Eiger Sanction was a terrific film. :D

I think there's plenty of room in the current Bond film template for an extended climbing sequence along the lines of what we saw in Eiger...perhaps Bond pursuing the villain up the side of a mountain to prevent something happening---or to beat him to the McGuffin of the moment...

Here again, Bond's erstwhile (and missing for years!) mentor, Hannes Oberhauser---who instructed Bond in both skiing and climbing, according to Eon's most current Bond dossier---might very well come into play.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Maybe Oberhauser turns out to be the baddie? :v

Good news if true, we need an Alps-ridden Bond for the new generation. Skiing, snow-mobiles, climbing, luge...bring it all on I say! :o :D
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I'm not excited by snow plows and ski mobiles, but a good fight with ski poles or ice axes mght be interesting.
  • jboyjboy Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    Are these prequel scenes about the death of Bond's parents...?
    jboy wrote:
    Are these prequel scenes about the death of Bond's parents...?

It's certainly possible, but we won't know that for quite a while, I think. Personally, I'd tie Oberhauser in somehow with Bond's parents if the gig were mine...but it isn't :#
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Personally, I'd tie Oberhauser in somehow with Bond's parents if the gig were mine...but it isn't :#

Knowing that Bond's future is in the hands of Babs and Mikey is frightening enough. But God help us if Loeff's behind the wheel! :o :))

Craig doesn't have to be thrown into a winter landscape to leave me cold. As far as I'm concerned, he brought a blizzard to the Bahamas. In fact, from now on I am going to refer to the Craig Era as the "Ice Age" :p

However, I am concerned about Craig's wardrobe if Bond 22 takes us to the Alps. The weather will most certainly be too cold for camp shirts, leather jackets, or a short pair of swimming trunks. Will the film suffer if Craig doesn't show some skin? ?:)

What could Bond do in the Alps? Well, you can cross off shirtless Internet surfing. 8-) Personally, I'd like to see something new. A snowmobile chase could be fun. I just hope Q branch (Oh that's right, it doesn't exist. Sorry!) remembers to equip Bond's with a defibrillator.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Knowing that Bond's future is in the hands of Babs and Mikey is frightening enough. But God help us if Loeff's behind the wheel! :o :))

:v
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    If Bond 20 was the ice one, isnt it a little too soon to be doing another ice - based movie?

If they were going to go to Switerland and not ski - that would be something else, but we've seen ice in a Bond movie not too long ago.
    taity wrote:
    If Bond 20 was the ice one, isnt it a little too soon to be doing another ice - based movie?

If they were going to go to Switerland and not ski - that would be something else, but we've seen ice in a Bond movie not too long ago.

That's certainly fair. But I think a bit of serious mountain climbing---and high-altitude peril, unenhanced by gratuitous CGI---might just take the curse off DAD's Ice Palace ;)

Despite having a bit of ice in common, the two films could actually prove quite dissimilar B-)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    All of Craig's big action scenes in CR--in Madagascar, Miami, and Venice--had him NOT in a vehicle like a car or a boat giving chase, just him versus whatever was in his way. And that was pretty darn satisfying. :D

If they want a big action scene in a snowy place, plain old skis sound good to me...although I don't think "the" snow mobile chase has yet been filmed (DH2 just wasn't all that, IMO), so I could be down for that, lol.

Or, if they want a non-snow something in the Alps, how about a high speed car chase through all those twisty roads, with Bond driving--a beat-up old pickup? He could take short cuts...;)
    edited July 2007
    So, apparently, it's the Austrian Alps...

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=5207

...and a stop in Bregenz, which features a floating opera stage. Pretty cool.

And it looks as if Bond will, indeed, be back on skis...

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=5208

I do hope they can find a mountain to climb while they're scouting locations in the neighborhood :#
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,738MI6 Agent

Snowmobiles- that'd be good.

Of course the problem with a ski chase is that it's pretty much got to be in one direction: downhill, which means you've got to give Bond a reason to be at the top of a mountain in the first place; and you don't get much on the top of mountains. Plus you've got to work out why the baddies don't call up some mates to get him at the bottom. All in all, they're pretty contrived things, so the plotting'll be interesting.
    edited July 2007
    You're right about that; we therefore need some sort of villain---or McGuffin-like coveted object---on top of the mountain...and the villain's mates who meet Bond as he comes back down form the heart of a nice chase-and-evasion sequence...or perhaps a finale.

I've enjoyed all of Bond's forays into snow-skiing (to appropriately varying degrees)...but I'm rather hoping for something 'extra,' as the snow-ski motif is hardly untrodden-upon ground ;)
    emtiem wrote:
    Of course the problem with a ski chase is that it's pretty much got to be in one direction: downhill,
    It could be cross-country.

I am a big fan of skiing chases so I will be very excited to see a skiing chase in Bond 22. What I love about skiing chases is that it's difficult to mess them up, and considering that I did love the action scenes in CR, hopefully the skiing chase in Bond 22 will be fantastic. :D
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I would prefer to see the Alps without the cliche snow. I enjoy the Swiss scees in "Goldfinger" as Bond follows Auric to his factory. We haven't been there since 1964 - let's revisit the Alps sans snow!
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Of course the problem with a ski chase is that it's pretty much got to be in one direction: downhill,
    It could be cross-country.

Cross-country skiers look pretty silly though; and why would Bond be travelling a long distance (which is what cross country skiing is about) on skis instead of on a snowmobile or a car? As I say, pretty contrived things.
    edited August 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    Cross-country skiers look pretty silly though; and why would Bond be travelling a long distance (which is what cross country skiing is about) on skis instead of on a snowmobile or a car? As I say, pretty contrived things.
    It can be contrived, so one would hope that the filmmakers did not come up with a skiing chase sequence before they came up with a screenplay. ;) But really, as long as Bond finds a reason to go to the Alps, he's bound to have skis with him. I'm sure (and this from someone who didn't love CR :))) that the filmmakers will make it work.
    Dan Same wrote:
    But really, as long as Bond finds a reason to go to the Alps, he's bound to have skis with him.

Yeah- me too, but that doesn't logically follow that the baddies will chase him on them; that's all I'm saying. Do you really see a cross country ski chase happening?
    Dan Same wrote:
    this from someone who didn't love CR :))

Oh didn't you really? You've never mentioned that before. ;)
    edited August 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    Yeah- me too, but that doesn't logically follow that the baddies will chase him on them; that's all I'm saying. Do you really see a cross country ski chase happening?
    Probably not. I'm sure it will be down-hill. How it will happen, I have no idea.
    emtiem wrote:
    Oh didn't you really? You've never mentioned that before. ;)
    I haven't? :o :))
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    Do you guys suppose "Octopussy" (the novella) is going to be referenced? With perhaps, the final reckoning being a return to the place of the crime instead of a simple flashback-confession by the villain of the piece...

It somehow seems too neat, but I suppose a good writer could pull it off elegantly. I also didn't mind the whole "origins of Bond" theme in CR but I wouldn't want them to continue the trend in the next one with the whole Oberhauser backstory: IMO it would be too much of a good thing...
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg