Favourite Sean Connery film?

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
edited June 2007 in The James Bond Films
How would you rank the Sean Connery films? Here is how I would rank them.

1 YOLT - Always been my favourite Connery film. I think it's very underrated. Spectacular moments, particulaly seeing Blofeld's face for the first time. Excellent locations. The volcano lair is brilliant and I love Tokyo. Women are below average, but that's not enough to spoil the film.

2 - Dr No - It started the Bond film franchise off. I think it was particulaly well made, and flowed together really well. It builds up great, and I love how the main villain is not properly seen until the end. The suspense is wonderful. Honey Rider is, and always will be my favourite Bond girl. Connery's performance is excellent to say it's his first Bond film.

3 - DAF - Underrated. I found it very enjoyable. Some great elements. Cool locations. I loved the oil rig showdown. Not too keen on Charles Gray as Blofeld though.

4 - GF - Almost tied with DAF. Great elements once again. Good story, lots of memorable moments, good villains. For me, it wasn't action-packed enough, and that's what brings it down for me.

5 - FRWL - Pretty decent, and almost tied with DAF and GF. Interesting story. Drags on in places though. First time we see Desmond as Q, and Connery's performance is excellent.

6 - TB - Boring. Absolutely boring. I could never engage with TB, it always bores me to tears. Largo is a good villain, and Fiona Volpe is enjoyable, and Connery is excellent. But the film in general bores the hell out of me, too much water, and really slow moving. And I hated the way it was edited. The stupid way that the screen scrolls when the scene changes.

Overall, I think Connery is excellent as Bond. His portrayal as 007 is irreplacable. His films, for me, aren't the best. I prefer the Moore films. But the Connery films are still good, and Connery himself is bloody excellent!
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    Interesting that you rank YOLT first as-- other cool elements aside-- it's easily Connery's most lethargic by-the-numbers performance.

In terms of his performances, I rank them thusly:

FRWL
    GF
    TB
    DN
    DAF
    YOLT

In terms of the actual movies:

FRWL
    GF
    TB
    DN
    YOLT
    DAF
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Connery made his best preformance as oo7 in Dr. No, in which he was rougher and more ruthless than any other of his oo7 films.

Confident and serious in FRWL, this is the best of the early Bond adventures. I am sure he was equally as good in Goldfinger, but the dead animal toupee looks just to silly for me to take him seriously.

His best work as an actor is not in Bond, but in "The Man who Woud be King" with "Untouchables" not far behind. An equally well-acted flm was "The Offense".

When Connery was working with Sidney Lumet,(Like Wayne/Ford and Eastwood/Siegel) he was at his acting peak.
  • Kirk James KirkKirk James Kirk Posts: 190MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    Connery made his best preformance as oo7 in Dr. No, in which he was rougher and more ruthless than any other of his oo7 films.

Confident and serious in FRWL, this is the best of the early Bond adventures. I am sure he was equally as good in Goldfinger, but the dead animal toupee looks just to silly for me to take him seriously.

His best work as an actor is not in Bond, but in "The Man who Woud be King" with "Untouchables" not far behind. An equally well-acted flm was "The Offense".

When Connery was working with Sidney Lumet,(Like Wayne/Ford and Eastwood/Siegel) he was at his acting peak.

For Connery's best acting gig, I'd have to go with Outland. Recently, it was named second greatest performance in a film behind Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia.
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    Connery is, and always has been, my favourite Bond. His first three films are pretty hard to fault, imho, as is his performance in them- he defined the on-screen character. However, his other three films are a bit more hit and miss. Here goes:

1- From Russia With Love; as a film, only OHMSS comes higher than this one for me. The scene between Bond and Red Grant in this one might just be the finest in the whole series, for me at least.

2- Goldfinger; remains very entertaining. Certainly a little more light-hearted than previous two, but a lot of the humour is very funny and Connery is obviously having a lot of fun here.

3- Dr. No; this is still amongst my favourite Bond films even though it is the debut. Great template setter and pace-wise, still stands up.

4- You Only Live Twice; the other three movies are weaker, imho. Certainly here Connery's performance is very much through-the-motions, but the pace and spectacle makes one forgive that to a certain extent.

5- Diamonds Are Forever; maybe the silliest Bond film ever (after the lift punch-up, little in this is taken at all seriously) but Sean's performance is fun and this is an entertaining entry, imho.

6- Thunderball; have a hard time accepting this as one of the best Bond films, personally. Some of it is great- Sean is still excellent here and Luciana Paluzzi's performance is terrific- but this really does drag along at times, especially the underwater scenes.
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    6 - TB - Boring. Absolutely boring. I could never engage with TB, it always bores me to tears. Largo is a good villain, and Fiona Volpe is enjoyable, and Connery is excellent. But the film in general bores the hell out of me, too much water, and really slow moving. And I hated the way it was edited. The stupid way that the screen scrolls when the scene changes.

!

Too much water? I had to laugh :)):)):))

That is the point of Thunderball. Each of the early films had a theme - Caribbean island, gold, Japan, snow or diamonds. Thunderballs is the world beneath the sea. Its just as much a protagonist as SPECTRE.Its perils have to be negotiated by 007 as much as anything else whether they be caught up on the hydrafoil struts as the water boils around him or the sharks/octopi/barracuda which roam the Vulcan or underwater battle.

Life gets more interesting due to the underwater sections. Guns become spearguns, chases happen with seasleds, and in fights masks are ripped off or people takent out by knives. To some people it makes the films slow but to some of us it gives it an exotic ethereal quality (matched with John Barrys moody music) that makes it otherworldly and a perfect location for a James Bond movie..

Too much water! Pah!
  • mhousty007mhousty007 IrelandPosts: 18MI6 Agent
    Hello, I am new to these boards, its my first post, go easy on me!!! Thunderball is my personal favourite Connery, with Goldfinger and FRWL just behind. To be honest I cant stand DAF. If you watch it straight after OHMSS its truly awful. Tracys been killed and you want Bond to get revenge, but instead we get launched into a subpar comedy. So disappointing!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    actonsteve wrote:
    Too much water? I had to laugh :)) :)) :))

That is the point of Thunderball. Each of the early films had a theme - Caribbean island, gold, Japan, snow or diamonds. Thunderballs is the world beneath the sea. Its just as much a protagonist as SPECTRE.Its perils have to be negotiated by 007 as much as anything else whether they be caught up on the hydrafoil struts as the water boils around him or the sharks/octopi/barracuda which roam the Vulcan or underwater battle.

Life gets more interesting due to the underwater sections. Guns become spearguns, chases happen with seasleds, and in fights masks are ripped off or people takent out by knives. To some people it makes the films slow but to some of us it gives it an exotic ethereal quality (matched with John Barrys moody music) that makes it otherworldly and a perfect location for a James Bond movie..

Too much water! Pah!
    Hear hear! :D Although I think TB did get a bit slow towards the end, I honestly can not understand why some people think it is boring. :#
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    1. From Russia With Love
    2. You Only Live Twice
    3. Dr No
    4. Thunderball
    5. Goldfinger
    6. Diamonds Are Forever
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I was always amoung those who found Thunderball moves at a slower pace than it should. But after some reflection, I agree that the ocean is a charecter (good observation!) the acting pretty good and the script very good. After all this was the Bond to top all previous Bonds!!

I think the editing is a problem, could have added to the pace of the flick. The slow, anonymous frog men make it difficult to get involved in the fight scenes, and the music adds to the slowing effect. I think this is one of Barry's weaker efforts.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    lol, I admit that my 'too much water' remark was a bit silly. But it's just that underwater-based things don't do it for me. I find it really boring.

After just re-watching Moonraker, which was my all-time least favourite Bond film, I actually think that even that is better than Thunderball now.

Thunderball is now my second least favourite Bond film, beating only DAD.

I think TB has some good things going for it, but it's just boring in my opinion, and drags on.

Each to their own though :007)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,305MI6 Agent
    I agree that underwater stuff was dealt with better in The Spy Who Loved Me. There is a waterlogged feel to TB, but then there's also the to-ing and froing between hotel rooms, with doubles and so on.

Connery is best in films where he's not hemmed in by the plot, as in TB and YOLT imo. Or NSNA. The film needs to be serious in some way for him to excel, and perversely, Barry's music made DAF more serious for me. I thought Connery's comic timing in that film was superb. It has everything OHMSS lacks and vice versa.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • dirtyharrysw44dirtyharrysw44 Posts: 17MI6 Agent
    my opinion is
    FRWL
    GF
    DRNO
    TB
    YOLT
    DAF
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to emulate Lazenby and rank the performances and the films.

The performances:
    GF
    TB
    FRWL
    DN
    DAF
    YOLT

(It should be noted that Connery produced five performances which IMO could be described as masterpieces; DN-TB and DAF. DAF is fifth on my list, but that is only because the other four performances were so fantastic. Contrary to popular opinion, I consider Connery's performance in DAF to be superb and the sixth greatest Bond performance of all time; after Connery's first four performances and Brosnan's performance in TWINE. As for YOLT; I think it was by far Connery's weakest performance, but compared to most other actors IMO it was still pretty good. A disappointing Connery performance still has its rewards. :D)

The films:
    GF
    FRWL
    TB
    DN
    YOLT
    DAF

(There's not much to say. The first four films, in descending order, are all masterpieces. YOLY is IMO a very underrated film but was certainly the weakest of the 60's films and DAF, although it has some brilliant things going for it, is ultimately a little disappointing. Nonetheless all six films are IMO extremely entertaining, albeit some more so than others.)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    After re-watching all the Bond films, my 'Connery list' has not changed. I think it still remains at...

1 YOLT
    2 DN
    3 DAF
    4 GF
    5 FRWL
    6 TB

There's nostalgic reasons for why I like YOLT though, and that is a big reason why it's up top. DN second as the way it flows is great and Honey is a classic Bond girl.

I must say, that it is EXTREMELY close with DAF, GF, and FRWL. All are magnificent (as are YOLT, and DN). I struggled to put those in an order. I opted for DAF, because it is not as loved as the other two, which gave me a soft spot for it. I also think it's very interesting, and a different kind of Bond film. GF and FRWL are both great, but some classic dialogue made me opt for GF. However, it was tough, as FRWL has one of the greatest ever Bond moments in, which is the Bond/Grant fight on the train!

I can honestly say that the only Connery film I didn't particulaly enjoy was Thunderball. Fiona Volpe and Largo were good characters, but that's all I liked about the film. Sorry guys, I found it so boring.

• stumac7stumac7 ScotlandPosts: 295MI6 Agent
    GF - Pure Class!

DN - Still love watcing this film

TB - Stunning underwater scenes

YOLT - Never used to like this, but it has grown on me.

FRWL - I find it a little long and drawn out.

DAF - What a pile of ****!
    edited July 2007
    stumac7 wrote:

Maybe, but you've still got it at no 007 in your all-time faves!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited July 2008
    stumac7 wrote:
    Maybe, but you've still got it at no 007 in your all-time faves!
    I think his list is out-dated. ;) Afterall, the 'pile of ****' that is DAF is third on his list. :))
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,283MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    It's very hard for me to pick a favorite Connery Bond movie; they're all lumped closer together in terms of fun factor and enjoyment than Roger Moore's efforts. Even the "lesser" films like YOLT and DAF have a lot to offer and are still very very entertaining to me. Connery may have lost interest in the part by YOLT but his delvery was still great and he breezed thru all his movies effortlessly.

The one exception is the "rogue" Bond movie NSNA, which for my money was a tired, boring and very unsatisfying movie and the only one where Connery really seemed old, tired and out of place.

So, my list would probably go something like this:

TB
    DAF
    FRWL
    GF
    DN
    YOLT
    NSNA (last by a country mile)
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    The performances:
    TB - Possibly the finest action film performance ever.

FRWL - Smooth and effective
    DN - Rough around the edges (thats a good thing)
    GF - Perfect, to a fault.

NSNA - Bond is back (Finally)
    DAF - Very humorous, funnier than anything Moore did.

YOLT - Overweight and uninterested and it is painfully obvious.

The films:
    FRWL
    GF
    TB
    DN
    YOLT
    NSNA
    DAF
    edited July 2007
    It's funny. I agree with you that in GF Connery was perfect and in DN he was rough around the edges. However I disagree that Connery was better in DN than he was in GF. :)) IMO Connery's performance in GF was the greatest performance of all time, while his prformance in DN was the fourth greatest.
    Dan Same wrote:
    It's funny. I agree with you that in GF Connery was perfect and in DN he was rough around the edges. However I disagree that Connery was better in DN than he was in GF. :)) IMO Connery's performance in GF was the greatest performance of all time, while his prformance in DN was the fourth greatest.
    The last thing James Bond should be is perfect. The character as written by Fleming is a flawed individual. DN protrayed that GF did not.
  • starman007starman007 Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    1 GF
    2.TB
    3.DN
    4.YOLT
    5.DAF
    6.NSNA

No particular reason for order
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,453Chief of Staff
    Not being a lister (more of a rimmer, er, rhymer :D)...

The best Connery Bond film
    Has to be
    Undeniably
    Not DN, FRWL, GF, YOLT, NSNA and not
    DAF
    Either, but
    Rather the
    Biggest Bond Of
    All, the one with
    Largo and the beautiful
    Lucianna Paluzzi.

Now, what was it called again...?
    edited July 2007
    Barbel wrote:
    Now, what was it called again...?
    Zardoz ?
    starman007 wrote:
    1 GF
    2.TB
    3.DN
    4.YOLT
    5.DAF
    6.NSNA

No particular reason for order
    Did care for/see FRWL?
    edited July 2007
    The last thing James Bond should be is perfect. The character as written by Fleming is a flawed individual. DN protrayed that GF did not.
    I mean perfect in terms of quality of the performance. Connery's performance in GF was IMO flawless. I prefer the more flawless performances to the more flawed performances. I am not referring to the character of James Bond himself. I don't think that the character of James Bond in GF was perfect at all. :D
    stumac7 wrote:

Maybe, but you've still got it at no 007 in your
    all-time faves!

List updated :-)
    edited July 2007
    Goodness, fancy having to pick
    Out of the Connery films; all of whom I
    Love and almost all of whom I would
    Defend to the death. :#
    Frankly though, a choice must be made and
    Instead of picking the film with a man
    Named
    Grant, I want to pick the film that is
    Everything a Bond film should be and and is truly
    Radiant. :D
    stumac7 wrote:
    stumac7 wrote:

Maybe, but you've still got it at no 007 in your
    all-time faves!

List updated :-)

Ah well, so it's at no 8 now! Some difference! :))

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I don't quite see your point, it may be 8th on my list but I still have it below all the other Connery bond films, so therefore it doesn't contradict what I posted earlier.
  • Bert_KwoukBert_Kwouk Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    You may like to know that The Times is marking the rerelease of Goldfinger with a poll, here:
    http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article2138970.ece