Favourite Sean Connery film?

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    I can't see how, since he based it on the literary interpretation. Oh thats right what the hell does Fleming know about James Bond.
    I have no idea. :)) No, I'm a fan of the Bondian style and interpretation perfected IMO by Connery and followed on with tremendous success by Moore and Brosnan, but ignored (to a great extent) by Craig and (to a complete extent) by Dalton. Make of that what you will. :v
    At least he did his own stunts, can't you give him credit for that? :p
    No. :)) I will give him credit for his stunt work, if you give Moore credit for something as well. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    With me and Dalton; I think he's a good actor and I love that, like Moore, he has nothing but good things to say about being Bond, however I am less than thrilled with his interpretation of Bond.

My estimation of Dalton (and TLD) has grown considerably since a recent reviewing left me enjoying the film very much. That said, his lack of rugged toughness still keeps him from being one of my favorite Bonds.
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    give Moore credit for something

I will give Moore credit for lots of stuff (hell I currently rank MR ahead of two Connery movies) however none of it revolves around him as James Bond the man.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited August 2007
    Ahhh, now Barbel, that was a fine reaction.

Good for you, Barbel {[]

You've earned his approval :))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Kirk James KirkKirk James Kirk Posts: 190MI6 Agent

Good for you, Barbel {[]

My, aren't we a bit cranky? You wouldn't happen to be Sir Sean himself, would you?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,448Chief of Staff

Good for you, Barbel {[]

Just making a few points, is all. I'm a long-term hardcore James Bond fan, which doesn't automatically make me a fan of any of the actors although like everyone else I have my preferences.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited August 2007

Good for you, Barbel {[]

My, aren't we a bit cranky? You wouldn't happen to be Sir Sean himself, would you?

No...just someone who doesn't suffer fools gladly---hey, wait! Maybe I am Sir Sean Connery! B-)

:007)

Run along now, little one 8-)

Anyway...back on topic: I think FRWL is the Sean Connery James Bond film, although GF is a validly arguable contender. I prefer FRWL, because of many factors: The delicious Daniela Bianchi, the avuncular Pedro Armendariz, the perfectly-cast Lotte Lenya and Robert Shaw...but, especially, Mr. Connery, whose performance as Bond is the best of his illustrious run, IMRO. The fight between Bond and Grant on the Orient Express is a singular moment in action film history.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Kirk James KirkKirk James Kirk Posts: 190MI6 Agent
    FRWL is one of the few Bond titles that could stand alone outside of the franchise as a legitimate movie. It also is one of the last that is an actual spy thriller. Afterwards, the series veers towards big adventure instead of espionage.
    FRWL is one of the few Bond titles that could stand alone outside of the franchise as a legitimate movie. It also is one of the last that is an actual spy thriller. Afterwards, the series veers towards big adventure instead of espionage.
    I agree. I love FRWL, and while I much prefer GF, I do think that it was a brilliant film. It is certainly IMO the best of the Bondian spy thrillers. As for it 'standing alone outside of the franchise as a legitimate movie,' I think that all of the 60's Connery films (apart from YOLT) were amazing films, even if one did not consider them to be Bond films.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • capn_tuckercapn_tucker Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Thunderball of course. Being a scuba diver I'm kind of biased towards it, but it's on record as being Sean Connery's favorite Bond film as well.
    And I have to agree.. :)
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    GF! B-)
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    GF! B-)

Sweepy, if you must bring back old topics, you could at least be more elaborate. This is the third thread in which you merely stated your film preference, offering nothing more.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • Agent SidewinderAgent Sidewinder Posts: 223MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    My ranking of Sir Sean's films and where they rank on my faves list:

1) GF (#2)
    2) FRWL (#5)
    3) TB (#12)
    4) YOLT (#14)
    5) DN (#16)
    6) DAF (#19)

Hmm, interesting. Now I realise that the Connery films are more of a mixed bag than I would have thought.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    edited March 2008
    An old thread, but I have recently re-watched most of the Connery films again (with the exception of DN and GF).

I have gained a lot more respect for Thunderball, and found myself falling asleep less often than previous times. It does have some good things going for it, the plot particulaly. However, it is still one of my least favourite Bonds, and definitely my least favourite Connery (except for the crap that is NSNA of course).

Other changed opinions, I have gained a lot more respect for FRWL. I still used to like it, but now I like it even more. How can something that introduces SPECTRE and Blofeld be anything but brilliant?

I still love YOLT and think it's sorely underrated, and Tiger Tanaka is one of the best allies to Bond.

I think this is my new order:

1 - YOLT
    2 - FRWL
    3 - DN (Very close with FRWL)
    4 - DAF
    5 - GF
    6 - TB

7 - NSNA (Doesn't count anyway. I refuse to watch this).

Connery is the man!
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    edited March 2008
    Sean Connery is a my favorite Bond, though Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan are not that far behind.

Here's how I rank the films:

7) Diamonds Are Forever - Aside from a more energetic Bond than in YOLT, and a kick-ass song/score, this film has no real merit whatsoever. Blofeld in drag is actually a metaphor for this film's nature. By far the worst Bond Connery ever made, and also one of the worst Bond films ever. That said, its still fun in its own curious way. If anything, this serves as the prelude to the Moore Bonds to come... 4 out of 10

6) You Only Live Twice - The first Bond film to completely deviate from Ian Fleming's story? Yep. But, its still as action packed as ever. And the fight inside the volcano is a classic. However, Connery doesn't want to be there. This could be his least engaging Bond portrayal yet. Of course, even a bored Connery Bond is better than nothing - but that doesn't save it from its own badness. OHMSS that followed was a far superior Bond, with more smarts and less fatigue. That said, YOLT is ok. Just, not one of Connery, no. 4 out of 10

5) Thunderball - Probably Connery's last good Bond, at least until 1983. This is a superb action thriller, complete with Connery's coolest portrayal of Bond, yet. The song is also my favorite Bond song (OHMSS doesn't count as a song). However, what keeps this from being as excellent as the first three Bonds, is the lack of a good villain. I mean, Largo's eyepatch does all the work - Adolfo Celi doesn't impress me the least as a threatening villain. Its always been a big complain of mine. That said, TB is probably the best action adventure Bond of all. 7 out of 10

4) Never Say Never Again - I love this movie. I prefer it over TB, but not by much - TB took a while, but it has grown on me. But NSNA has always been a favorite. Its probably the most interesting Bond, as it examines Bond as an older agent. No Bond up until then really took time to explore that, even if FYEO tried to do that. NSNA is also, a welcome return to the basics, following FYEO in excellent fashion. Connery, for the first time in 18 years, is great as Bond. There's no doubt that Connery does some terrific work in the film. Also, the film features one of my favorite villains, Klaus Maria Brandauer's Max Largo. Fantastic psychological underplay of this demented character. Brandauer manages to take what seems to be a normal business man, and make into an unpredictable psycho, who can be as dangerous as he wants to be, without a question. That said, the score is, well, lacking (though I kinda enjoy the song, in a guilty-pleasure sort of way), and the climax lacks a good punch to give it momentum. At least it has a coda (Which TB didn't even bother to have). A member, BlofeldsCat, re-edited the film to make it look more like an EON Bond, with music from all films and the obligatory elements (gunbarrel/title sequence). The re-edit is quite much better, but I nonetheless love NSNA for what it is. The re-edit only make it more accessible, which is always fine. 8 out of 10

3) Dr. No - Great Bond introduction, quite possibly the best introductory Bond performance (well, thats a given I guess), and also a great spy thriller. 8.5 out of 10

2) Goldfinger - The most fun Bond film ever? Probably. Its also worthy to note, that unlike DAF or YOLT, Connery's Bond portrayal is as consistent with the image he built in the previous two as it could be. The tone of the film might be slightly campy, but Connery keeps it from becoming a farcical spy movie. And thats a great credit to him. 9 out of 10

1) From Russia With Love - What can I say that hasn't be said already for this masterpiece of intrigue? Simply put, one of the very best, if not THE best, Bond movies of all time. 9.5 out of 10
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    From Russia With Love followed by Dr No.

Love classic films!
  • corleone44corleone44 Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    You Only Live Twice - One of the first Bond films I ever saw and one of the best Connery's IMO. Good villain as well.

Dr No - One of my favs of all time. All around excellent.

From Russia With Love - Very well done and again another fav. Fast paced and Grant is a perfect villain.

Goldfinger - Another classic Bond and fast paced too. Auric Goldfinger is a good villain and a contrast to Grant.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,304MI6 Agent
    7) Never Say Never Again I enjoy Jimmy Bond's review of this film, it offers an alternate perspective. But with Sly Stallone's unexpectedly successful revival of such unlikely heroes as John Rambo and Rocky Bilbao, it only shows what a pig's ear was made of Connery's return as Bond.

Yet Connery deserves criticism, as this bastion of integrity obviously signed on for the cash before checking the script, which then had to be revised as they went along. Compare with Lucas and Spielberg's rigorous script appraisal for Chrystal Skulls.

It's a film that in no way is tailored to Connery's strengths. The physical self-assurance, cool contempt, flash of anger and boyish charm are almost entirely absent here. Note his bashful response to Fatima Blush's compliment as he disrobes, and contrast to his kit removal for Tiffany Case (when he looked so porky, he should have been bashful).

But all the characters are poor or unlikeable; the Brits are fools and stooges, Kim Basinger is dull, dull, dull, Barbara Carrera no doubt thinks she is stealing the film (you're welcome to it, love!), Max Von Sydow is wasted (no, I don't mean rolling around on the floor with a bottle of vodka while Spectre minions glue cat litter to his face and daub 'mate in a state' slogans on his face with a magic marker) and Klaus Maria Branduer, while villainous enough, is a bit petulant, and looks like he should be lead singer in a Marillian type rock band.

6) Thunderball

Not as good as I remembered. Unlike NSNA, it's hard to chart the plot by memory. It's another predictable plot with hijacked nuclear weapons, it unfolds with no twists or turns. Too many viewings on Xmas Day after stodgy turkey have influenced me. John Barry's score sums it up: classy but soporfic on the one hand, then noisy, shrill and frenetic later on. Thunderball falls between two stools: its reach exceeds its grasp as it aspires to be an epic like the later movies but is still stuck in the more realistic style of the first three.

Still, its widescreen and quintessential spy film fare. Some great one liners and Spectre maybe at its most definitive.

5) You Only Live Twice

Less tacky looking than its predessessor is time, great photography. Great set pieces and the Japs make it more fun, its another dimension, though it puts our hero on the back foot a bit. Some great little one-liners and it moves quickly. Suffers on DVD as it drags when watching it from start to finish on your own, especially as Bond saunters out of the sumo wrestling arena like he's got all the time in the world. Countdown plot a bit tedious as a means of generating tension.

4) From Russia With Love

No longer the grittiest Bond, what with CR. Not as intelligent as it thinks, either. A minion in a Bond mask is not the same as Bond, you may as well as the England defense practice against Portugal by putting Phil Neville in a Ronaldo mask! And why does Kronsteen get offed by Blofeld! He was right, it was Klebb's choice of personnel that did it for them, she only auditioned Grant by whacking him with a knuckle duster! Had the plot gone to plan, he'd have had no need for physical prowess anyway! It was his fault he got waylaid by those gold sovereigns. Maybe Blofeld has a touch of siralen about him, and takes a shine to the ladies.

Unfolds leisurely, but tight script and plot, some good chemistry between all the players, not too gadgetry or travelogue. Good action based climax, with multiple endings.

Got to go, the boss is coming.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,304MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    Ah yes, where was I?

3) Diamonds Are Forever

"Bitten by the bug..."
    "I've got a brother!" "Small world..."
    "Right idea..." "But wrong pussy"
    "Anyone seeing you in that outfit Moneypenny would mostly certainly be discouraged from leaving the country"
    "Transport consultant? That's a little cute isn't it?"
    "Well don't tell me... you're St Peter?"
    "More like even money... her addiction to larceny versus my incomparable charm!"
    and so on...

Now of course you can't take this film seriously. In many ways I would own that TB is the better Bond... but less purely enjoyable. Anyhow, I can't take TB as seriously as I'd like, but when I have to, it's hard going.
    DAF is everything OHMSS is not. The production values are shoddy, the plot absurd, there's little admirable about it and it's hardly based on Fleming. Yet every joke is a zinger (cf hardly a laugh at all in OHMSS's 160 mins), Connery is comfortable as Bond and has good chemistry with his leading lady and there's nothing pretentious about it.
    It's a romp, a laugh, a gas. Like Sinatra's Ocean's 11.
    Of course, some just don't go for the humour in Bond, so it matters little if some films have no good gags, but for me it's what lifts it above formulaic repetition. They can't do good gags for the films these days, hence the elaborate reinventions/reboots are necessary.
    And Barry's score makes it something else, both playful and doomladen when required, I'm sure Kill Bill Vol 2 borrows from the latter on two occassions.

2) Dr No

Not too different to Thunderball, it's more understated. (It would be interesting to see Richard Maibaum's script for TB before it got shelved and they went ahead with Doctor No instead.) It used to look dated, but the opening credits now seem Pulp Fiction Tarantino. No writhing nudes is a plus in my book. The credits are cool.
    I saw this at the London basin near the Thames (by the Mayor's scrotum building) on a balmy June evening after a meal... it was a free open air showing, and loads of immigrants were packing the place out, there was a queue to get seats. It was like seeing it for the first time and the heat reflected the setting. Sometimes it helps to get the context right to enjoy a movie. eg DAF is best watching with my sister who enjoys all the jokes in it.
    There's nothing naff about No, and the ending doesn't let it down either, it holds up as a big explosive finale. I like Bond's easy chemistry with the women in this, too. There's something about the film that holds back as it unfolds, it creates its own universe whereas later Bonds were responding to fandom.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Dominic GreeneDominic Greene Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    Based On The Film.
    7. Never Say Never Again - 4/10
    6. Diamonds Are Forever - 5/10
    5. You Only Live Twice - 7/10
    4. Thunderball - 7/10
    3. Dr. No - 8/10
    2. Goldfinger - 9/10
    1. From Russia With Love - 10/10

Based on Connery's Performance.
    7. Diamonds Are Forever
    6. Never Say Never Again
    5. Thunderball
    4. You Only Live Twice
    3. Goldfinger
    2. Dr. No
    1. From Russia With Love
  • cbdouble07cbdouble07 Posts: 132MI6 Agent
    In reverse order from worst to first:

6) You Only Live Twice - I remember the first time I saw this film I was fairly young and loved it. It had tons of action, big explosions, and of course the awesome volcano base battle at the end, complete with ninjas. Oddly enough, the film seems to lose a little of its magic on every repeat viewing. I'm guessing that this is partly due to growing up and becoming more acquainted with the Fleming Bond. This film is definitely more in the style of a big budget extravaganza than a tight and well-scripted film. Plot holes abound, Connery gives his worst performance (though I still think he's pretty decent), and I am not thrilled with any of the women and villains. The Bond undergoing surgery to become Japanese thing also annoys me greatly. He still looks largely the same and I could never imagine the Bond character doing this! That being said, there are some great Japanese locales in the film and it's a very scenic film. There are also some fun scenes, some good fights, and a moody score. I feel like this is a film that is most enjoyable when you can just sit back, suspend disbelief, and just enjoy the spectacle.

5) Diamonds Are Forever - I feel that this film gets an undeserved bad rap and have heard it dubbed a disappointing film for Connery to leave on, but I found it a very enjoyable film. There are some major weaknesses, the most deplorable being the terrible casting of Charles Gray as Blofeld and the buffoonry that eventually haunts the character of Tiffany Case. However, this film is pure entertainment in my mind. It is full of witty dialogue and I think Connery gives a fine performance as Bond. I especially enjoy the opening moments of the film after the titles sequence when we hear about the diamond smuggling business while seeing how the workers are actually trying to sneak the diamonds out. I feel that the opening hour of the film has some good tension with the disturbing Wint and Kidd killing everyone and Bond being trapped in a coffin. The second half of the film is much more light-hearted. Also enjoy the chase sequences and Bond fooling around outside his hotel trying to get to the Whyte House. He's so at ease and acts like he has a perfect right to be climbing around out there. Just a little disappointed in some of the casting, the dull climax, and the shoving aside of Tracy's death.

4) From Russia With Love - Very true to the novel and a truly excellent film. Great plot, great locations, lots of intrigue and suspense, classic scenes, a great fight on a train, and outstanding performances all around. Connery is perfectly comfortable in the role of Bond and the other performances in the film shine as well. Klebb is indeed a vile woman, Tania is one of my favorite Bond girls, and Kerim Bey is one of the best allies to Bond in the series. The scenes on the Orient Express are classic. I also enjoyed the ominous SPECTRE scenes with the mysterious Number One and his white cat. Blofeld was always so much more menacing in this film and Thunderball. This film is regarded as one of the classics and for good reason.

3) Goldfinger - Everyone seems to love this movie. Whenever I see it on tv I get sucked into watching at least part of it. Another film with great classic moments such as the golf game, the pre-titles teaser, the aston martin, the first true Q scene, Bond getting knocked unconscious while we see the Oddjob's silhouette on the wall, the "I must be dreaming" scene, Jill painted gold, and the list goes on. This film has a great villain and one of the most beautiful women in the series, Jill Masterson. I do feel that this film is slightly overrated. It is definitely a classic film and one of the best Bond films but I am not sure that it is perfect as some people claim. I found the mid portions of the film to be a bit dull at times when Bond is at Goldfinger's ranch and while the raid on Fort Knox was exciting, the aftermath with Goldfinger on the jet just didn't strike me as that wonderful of a climax for whatever reason. I'm not demeaning Goldfinger by putting it third among Connery's films, I just enjoy the next two more.

2) Dr. No - The first and also one of the more overlooked IMO. This is the very definition of old school Bond. Connery fits in right away as Bond, Honey emerging from the sea is one of the great moments in Bond history, Dr. No is a suitably menacing villain and the plot makes good use of him by not revealing him until the end of the film which makes him seem very ominous, Jack Lord plays the best Felix Leiter in the series, and this film has one of my most favorite Bond & M scenes. I enjoy the atmosphere of this film immensely and enjoy seeing Bond calmly walk around doing his investigative work with seeming no care in the world. This is one of the more ruthless portrayals of Bond as evidenced by the killing of Mr. Dent and I find it very suitable and fitting for the character. This film has a definite 60s feel but rather than feel dated I think it feels like a classic that ages quite well.

1) Thunderball - My current favorite Bond film. Connery's best performance of Bond (and the best performance in the entire series), great cast of women, memorable villain with the menace and threat of the SPECTRE organization behind him, the best utilization of Blofeld in the films, Fiona Volpe, a fantastic score, beautiful locations, a definite tropical atmosphere to the film, great direction by Terrence Young who mixes in the grittiness and Flemingesque touches from Dr. No and FRWL with the glamor of Goldfinger, and the list goes on. The Shrublands sequence is one of my favorites from the whole series and I also really enjoy the scene with M and all of the double 0's and then M sticking up for Bond in his office. This film also may have the best dialogue in the entire series. A masterpiece.
    edited May 2008
    cbdouble07 wrote:
    5) Diamonds Are Forever - It is full of witty dialogue and I think Connery gives a fine performance as Bond.
    {[] I adore Connery's performance (as well as the dialogue) but most people seem to dislike Connery's performance in this film. :# It's great to see that someone else does appreciate his superb performance. Have a Martini on me. -{
    cbdouble07 wrote:
    3) Goldfinger - I do feel that this film is slightly overrated. It is definitely a classic film and one of the best Bond films but I am not sure that it is perfect as some people claim. I found the mid portions of the film to be a bit dull at times when Bond is at Goldfinger's ranch and while the raid on Fort Knox was exciting, the aftermath with Goldfinger on the jet just didn't strike me as that wonderful of a climax for whatever reason. I'm not demeaning Goldfinger by putting it third among Connery's films, I just enjoy the next two more.
    I think I'm going to take back the Martini. :v GF not perfect? Overrated? Dull at times? Not a wonderful climax? :o On behalf of the Sun God that is GF I must say that I am rather hurt at this. :'( ;)
    cbdouble07 wrote:
    2) Dr. No - This film has a definite 60s feel but rather than feel dated I think it feels like a classic that ages quite well.
    Indeed. {[] For whatever reason, this film often gets overlooked. I don't know why as IMO it is an absolute masterpiece. :D
    cbdouble07 wrote:
    1) Thunderball - A masterpiece.
    That it is. :D I don't think it is the best Bond film of all time, but I do think it is a wonderful film (Yes, NP, criticise it all you want, but you can no more damage its brilliance than a cat can slay a dragon. :p)
  • mr zorinmr zorin Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    His best peformances were not the best in the best in these films in my opion these are the best of his movies

1.Tunderball the exotic locations beautiful woman and meanacing villians and of course a gold plot make this my favorite.

2.Goldfinger This would be in opion his best performance it litterally was pure gold.

3.From Russia With Love another origanal everthing was brilliant the plot just lacked a bit of excitement.

4.Dr No the first and more agressive bonds i love the exotic island bonds.

5.You Only Live Twice it wasn't the best but not worst of Connerys movies the only thing that impressed me was Ken Adams sets.

Dimonds are Forever Connerys worst performance he looked bored and so did the movie.

As for Never Say Never Again it isin't classed as a official Bond to me.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Sometimes I think picking between the first four Connery Bonds is just a waste of time, or rather it's what flavor do you feel like today? They each have a bit something going for them that the other three don't quite match, yet all four are great Bond films IMO. One thing they all have in common, tend to get a tad dull towards the end: DN's radar toppling scene plays like lead, FRWL has too much happening after the fight on the train, GF's ranch is a snooze, and the belabored underwater battle in TB is, well, belabored (oddly YOLT's finale gets by pretty okay, just not so great getting there). Lately, TB seems to be making me smile the most, but gimmee a week, it'll be GF, or FRWL, or...
    blueman wrote:
    One thing they all have in common, tend to get a tad dull towards the end: DN's radar toppling scene plays like lead, FRWL has too much happening after the fight on the train, GF's ranch is a snooze, and the belabored underwater battle in TB is, well, belabored
    I agree with you about TB (although I love the killing of Largo), I don't agree about GF but have explained why in numerous other threads and I kinda agree about FRWL (which after seeing it on the big screen comes across to me as a little lacking). But DN? :o How can you not love the final sequence of DN which was surely among the most exciting sequences of all the 60's Bonds? :D
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    blueman wrote:
    One thing they all have in common, tend to get a tad dull towards the end: DN's radar toppling scene plays like lead, FRWL has too much happening after the fight on the train, GF's ranch is a snooze, and the belabored underwater battle in TB is, well, belabored
    I agree with you about TB (although I love the killing of Largo), I don't agree about GF but have explained why in numerous other threads and I kinda agree about FRWL (which after seeing it on the big screen comes across to me as a little lacking). But DN? :o How can you not love the final sequence of DN which was surely among the most exciting sequences of all the 60's Bonds? :D

That reactor/control room set hasn't aged well. Young uses it to pretty good effect but it looks really daft, especially after the awesomely cool sets below ground ("mink-lined prison," No's study/dining room). Also bummed they didn't bother with No's torture tunnel, IMO the highlight of the novel, the scene as filmed feels like a tease.

I like DN for a first Bond film adventure, but it misses the mark in a couple of key spots IMO. It was a more low-budget affair than even FRWL, so understandable.
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    DN and FRWL are excellent films. I prefer FRWL, but by a hair. They had to prove themselves and they weren't sure fire hits from the outset, unlike the other films in the series.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,296MI6 Agent
    How to rank them???
    1. Favourite
    - TB
    - YOLT
    - GF
    - DAF
    - FRWL
    - DN
    - NSNA

2. Connery as Bond
    - GF
    - FRWL
    - TB
    - NSNA
    - DN
    - DAF
    - YOLT

3. Overall quality
    - GF
    - FRWL
    - TB
    - YOLT
    - DN
    - NSNA
    - DAF
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    I rank them like this:

1. FRWL
    2. DN
    3. GF
    4. TB
    5. YOLT
    6. DAF
    I rank them like this:

1. FRWL
    2. DN
    3. GF
    4. TB
    5. YOLT
    6. DAF
    So, essentially (DN/FRWL aside) you think the Connery films ceased to be as impressive more and more as they went on?